Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Thanks YOSPOS, you're the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Thanks YOSPOS, you're the best!

RON HOWARD VOICE: They weren't.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kind Friend posted:

1. the instructions asked for an aspect of the program to be configurable. i did this via a constant variable at the top of the file.

look at this from the HM's perspective. you were asked to make something configurable and you made it a constant with a "well actually, you can change the code therefore it is configurable" note. that's a huge red flag.

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

yeah that criticism was more understandable to me. tbh it was kinda lazy of me, i just wanted to be done by that point. the test coverage thing was irritating to me though because they never indicated that they expected thorough coverage.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
maybe you missed testing some edge cases that were important or something

thorough coverage can mean both depth and breadth

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kind Friend posted:

today i got rejected from datadog after spending nearly enough 10 hours on a take home assignment. recruiter told me this was because my work failed to meet two requirements. my program did in fact meet the first requirement, and the second was never given in the instructions.

pretty lame.

i got a rejection from them about a year-ish ago, worked out for the best & im now in a job i actually like

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

maybe you missed testing some edge cases that were important or something

thorough coverage can mean both depth and breadth

they were looking for more breadth. the feedback i got was that my test coverage was "only 20%" or something. the instructions said to "write a unit test for feature X" and i took that pretty literally, so i only wrote a test for the part of my code that implemented that feature. my code was very modular, resulting in low coverage overall (but that test itself was thorough).
of course its obvious in retrospect that i should have just taken a little more time to add the polish of command line args and more unit tests. it would've been easy and wouldn't have taken _that_ long. gotta chalk this one up to a learning experience i guess.

fritz posted:

i got a rejection from them about a year-ish ago, worked out for the best & i'm now in a job i actually like
:hfive: nice. i'm currently interviewing with a couple other companies that i'm more interested in anyway. still salty though.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I should ignore the repeated emails from AWS recruiters right

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

it’s gotta be all teams building out MVP versions of AWS competitor killers

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

AWWNAW posted:

just respond with the latest article about some terrible thing amazon is doing to their warehouse employees

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I dunno if you want to work for amazon or some interview practice or whatever you should respond

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009
The startup I work for slashed everyone's pay by 50% starting from March and as much as I'd love to believe that "we're just waiting on some investor paperwork to finalize" before everything goes back to normal I finally flipped the LinkedIn switch that turns on the recruiter flood.

So far it has pretty much all been either sketchy contract to hire stuff or Amazon. I finally bit on one of the Amazon recruiters and have a final interview in 2 weeks. They said it usually is a 6-8 hour interview but because of the circumstances they've cut it down to 3-4 hours. Part of me is very prepared to bail even if I get an offer because of all the evil stuff, but also I feel like pretty much any company paying me to touch a computer is going to be doing some vile poo poo so maybe the best thing is to stack what I can with a goal of escaping to the woods or something asap

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Having Amazon on your resume would make a big difference in your next job search. Keep that in mind.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

there is no such thing as ethical employment under capitalism?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DuckConference posted:

there is no such thing as ethical employment under capitalism?

Error: expected end of expression but found '?'

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The question mark indicates that capitalism is optional

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

AWWNAW posted:

I work for Amazon AWS. Its a cliche answer but I think it depends on the team.

The work life balance really isn't too bad, punctuated by annoying scrambles to make a release or deadline or whatever, but over all not bad. My manager (and manager's manager) is really supportive, and the team itself is pretty cool.

I'm obviously not a fan of the horrible warehouse conditions, but as elcannon said any company messing with computers is doing some hosed up poo poo, and Amazon employs almost a million people. I can confidently say that the org I work for (a hundred people or so, the size and budget of most medium sized businesses) does not treat people like poo poo, and does good honest work, but I also realize that some of the organizations do treat people like poo poo.

Sorry I'm being vague, don't want too much PII online, I'd be happy to chat about it on the discord if you'd like to know more.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEs1XddUUrg

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PCjr sidecar posted:

and also to whammy under represented folks

well documented that experience and degree requirements get a lot stricter depending on who’s applying

very true. lots of things are really just convenient reasons to not consider your actual abilities or do the work required to test them.

i am just trying to keep the thread positive and optimistic while the economy collapses.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if a company gave you a take home test that took 10 hours to complete, I’d suggest telling them to gently caress off.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Management posted:

if a company gave you a take home test that took 10 hours to complete, I’d suggest telling them to gently caress off.

:same:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i passed interview #4 at a startup so now i move on to interviews 5 - 9, this is so so cool

i can't tell if this is typical small-shop cargo culting of faang nonsense or if everyones just sitting around bored looking to fill their day with zoom chats

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

MightyBigMinus posted:

i passed interview #4 at a startup so now i move on to interviews 5 - 9, this is so so cool

i can't tell if this is typical small-shop cargo culting of faang nonsense or if everyones just sitting around bored looking to fill their day with zoom chats

red flag. they're going to make you run those interviews soon enough

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Management posted:

:this:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
“Your experience at <current job> caught my eye”

this is the dumbest phrase used by recruiters, and I see it all the time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

having worked at splunk and on a salesforce project I agree

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

The Management are we interviewing at the same time again?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Does anybody have experience interviewing w/ cloud providers for their solution architect roles? Assuming it's one dash system design, one dash knowledge of cloud infrastructure and the company's specific offerings, and a whole lot about whether you'd be effective in a client-facing role?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

google recruiters once hit me up for my "contributions to the BSD project" which I have never done and was probably just them catching the BSD licenses in my OSS code

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the academic predatory journal version, where they just randomly pick and praise one of your past articles, and claim it very relevant for inclusion in their very next issue, is still even stupider.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rudest Buddhist posted:

The Management are we interviewing at the same time again?

hell yeah. are you also hitting a vesting cliff and realizing the place you work is a dumpster fire?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

hell yeah. are you also hitting a vesting cliff and realizing the place you work is a dumpster fire?

oh I can do one better. They missed a full paycheck.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rudest Buddhist posted:

oh I can do one better. They missed a full paycheck.

missed paycheck equals no work until they catch up. sorry to hear it, good luck finding something quickly.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

missed paycheck equals no work until they catch up. sorry to hear it, good luck finding something quickly.

Yep, full stop. Not so bad after I got over the initial shock and kicking myself for not seeing this coming.
Got a few interviews lined up this week. Response is pretty good just need to get that interviewing muscle back!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why are you posting and not stealing everything not nailed down?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

just finished my take home. this one was literally 'here's what you're gonna be expected to do for your job, we spun up a server for you, here's the api documentation, go'

seeing as it's for a senior position where i'll be expected to hit the ground running and mentor juniors it was a pretty reasonable request. dare i say even well made? it was hard enough that a junior definitely wouldn't have been able to accomplish it but anyone who's been around and is used to diving into new platforms / reading weird documentation wouldn't struggle with it. i guess now i just have to demo it

still not really excited about the job itself but it's a company that's been growing, offers real stock, and most importantly will be paying me what i want my current job to pay me. of course it's really hard to get excited about healthcare document integration software so w/e

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

of course it's really hard to get excited about healthcare document integration software so w/e

"hard to get excited about" and "easy to leave at work" have a lot of overlap

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

after slightly less than ten thousand years, I managed to get a job offer today for ~44k over my previous salary

just point me to the guillotine