Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Summoning that sword back is probably gonna piss this thing off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

AngryBooch posted:

Summoning that sword back is probably gonna piss this thing off

I mean it's already pre-pissed off!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I kind of want them to just start fighting it already.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nemo2342 posted:

I kind of want them to just start fighting it already.

Yeah, giving what appears to be an about to be hostile creature pretty much every valuable magical item you have as a bribe seems dumb as poo poo.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, giving what appears to be an about to be hostile creature pretty much every valuable magical item you have as a bribe seems dumb as poo poo.

To be fair it also means you'd probably fight it and get a bonanza of magical items later! I mean this is absolutely 100% gonna get on the Nein's bad side; stealing magical items from a party is going to mark you for a very thorough killing.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I rather like that they're actually playing along, cause it means they'll just get it all back later with bonus.

As for the sword, I get the feeling he doesn't pay enough attention to whats on his back to keep track of the blade.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
When are we going to get to the initiative factory

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
WELP.

that's how we get our setting crossover.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

seaborgium posted:

I mean, I get the plan. They want to come in with full spells and (hopefully) with the Traveler's physical incarnation. But they were really pushing it since they couldn't commit.

And I'm glad they finally figured out that it was Keyleth's mom. Such an amazing reveal.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

And I'm glad they finally figured out that it was Keyleth's mom. Such an amazing reveal.

The fact Marisha didn't realize it is the absolute best part, that was such a good reaction.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Overlord K posted:

I rather like that they're actually playing along, cause it means they'll just get it all back later with bonus.

As for the sword, I get the feeling he doesn't pay enough attention to whats on his back to keep track of the blade.

"A morkoth knows every object in its collection and can track its possessions through the planes. Someone who dares to steal from a morkoth, or breaks a deal with one, will know no rest until the morkoth is slain or all promises are kept."

The Nein were destined to fight this thing from the moment Fjord "gave up" his sword.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"A morkoth knows every object in its collection and can track its possessions through the planes. Someone who dares to steal from a morkoth, or breaks a deal with one, will know no rest until the morkoth is slain or all promises are kept."

The Nein were destined to fight this thing from the moment Fjord "gave up" his sword.

To be fair, the Nein were destined to fight it as soon as they saw all the loot (and also as soon as they confirmed that it was the thing eating people's memories).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yep definitely a fun finish, there's the Marisha freakout I was waiting to see. They didn't give up anything super useful, and even if they can't get the Traveler on board to fight Vo they can go in there with all their spells up. And if they'd started a fight there then their druid tag-along would have been hostile to them as well.

I'd be pretty on board with Matt rewarding them for being patient and smart about it by having the Traveler basically owning it himself, or beating it and then being "wounded" and having to go away, as the big final showpiece of Travelercon with the party not really needing to be involved in the fight as much. Maybe with the tradeoff that the party gets to nab back their stuff and some choice magic items, but the bulk of the money from the hoard goes to the con's attendees and the people already living there.

I think they'd have come out on top in the end if they fought, but a liar constantly cooking them + disadvantage on attacks for most of them due to swimming + an enemy ally there + being down some spells is not an optimal situation. On the other hand, I can easily picture the Traveler being cool with just teleporting that thing out of its lair onto dry land as a thank you for the Con going well (even if the Traveler doesn't get super hands-on with the baddie), and that's a much smoother situation, provided they don't do that in the center of the town it has influence over.

That bit about knowing its collection is pretty neat. The sword is both the most valuable item given up by far and the one they expect to be able to yank back consequence free if they decide not to fight it, it'd be really funny to have them start sailing away after leaving Vo alone and then have Fjord just constantly not getting rest. I bet he'll port it back before travelercon and his sleeplessness will force them to go fight it early.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 17, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is just going to end with the Traveler getting a bunch more followers after the Nein save them all.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I'm glad they were watching last weeks chat and it was not live because I don't think Marisha would have been as broken if she found out in the middle of a live episode.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Adnor posted:

I love Matt's tshirt.

it fills me with joy

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

As someone who never looks up the monsters of the week until after they've been fought... RIP fjord.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Overlord K posted:

As someone who never looks up the monsters of the week until after they've been fought... RIP fjord.

Yeah I thought that giving up the sword was a real smooth move, now it seems really likely it's going to lead to some proper drama.

I wonder how much Matt enjoyed having the party go along with his baddie after Jester tricked the hag. I suppose making them influence memory across a whole island is one way to indicate that the ol' memory hack isn't going to work this time.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Are they filming a week ahead? Sams comments about seeing the chat only make sense if they were filming at the same time the prev episode aired

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Are they filming a week ahead? Sams comments about seeing the chat only make sense if they were filming at the same time the prev episode aired

Certainly sounds like it. I actually think they may be recording on Thursdays two weeks ahead. This third episode back was the first one with sponsors again and people were speculating about Keyleth's mother immediately after that first episode back.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I would be so down for a Traveler vs Morkoth fight :allears:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Man if Fjord hadn’t thrown away the sword of fathoms he could have tried to offer it up and we could have seen two gods fight over it. Or one of them would file an adverse possession lien which would be funnier.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

xarph posted:

Man if Fjord hadn’t thrown away the sword of fathoms he could have tried to offer it up and we could have seen two gods fight over it. Or one of them would file an adverse possession lien which would be funnier.

Now I'm picturing Caduceus' dad or at least someone else in the Clay Family wearing a fancy suit and approaching Vokodo with a court summons "Excuse me, the sword currently in your possession was not Mr Fjord's legal property and in fact the property of the Wildmother to be used as she sees fit. You will see proof of this on the inside of the leather hilt. Please give it back at the earliest opportunity or we will be forced to pursue alternative actions"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I haven't been able to listen yet but I'm a little upset Nott apparently gave away the Dagger of Denial bc that thing's cool even if it never gets used.

Oh well, we all know they'll be taking back the loot anyway with any luck.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah I assume the only reason they won't get that whole horde is that other residents will get their memories back and reclaim their offerings

I wonder what the short-term will be like now, covertly figuring out who's worth burning Greater Restorations on while trying to hide it from the monster that sees everything?

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 18, 2020

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

eke out posted:

yeah I assume the only reason they won't get that whole horde is that other residents will get their memories back and reclaim their offerings

I wonder what the short-term will be like now, covertly figuring out who's worth burning Greater Restorations on while trying to hide it from the monster that sees everything?

I get the feeling Remove Curse would also work. Hard to be certain since the memory enchantment is off-book, but it certainly sounds like a curse.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

eke out posted:

10 or 11 generations of villagers means there's going to be a lot of wealth brought or made by the dead, but I do think Vo has earned the lion's share of it, considering it's their labor and the labor of their ancestors.

Still, I imagine the m9 will get some cool stuff if they pull this off.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

With 5-6 days now until Travelercon 3000, we thinking it happens maybe episode 125 to ring in 2021?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

With 5-6 days now until Travelercon 3000, we thinking it happens maybe episode 125 to ring in 2021?

Eh, it depends on COVID, I think. Things are getting pretty drat bad in Cali again.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

23 more episodes on this island would be an eternity.

This gets resolved in 5-10.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yep, next session they either decide to go beat up Vo right after they rest or go explore the island (I'm thinking explore since they'll probably want the Traveler to do them a solid on this one), then travelercon about 4 or 5 sessions from now.

I still hope they make a good pitch for how the Traveler could take out Vo and use that to help achieve the Traveler's goals, and then mostlly sidestep a big ol' fight. You don't want your party relying on that kind of bailout/favor calling, but resolving things that way makes loads of sense given that the Traveler is going to be there anyway and it's his big event that'll need all the extra spice it can get. I'd also be interested to see what kind of trick the Traveler could pull on Vo to screw it over and keep it from trapping anyone else; a big fancy fake god fight is the fun option, but it's not really the Traveler's style.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Traveler did basically a mass greater restoration on the villagers. I also kind of hope both Jester and Cad start spamming Divine intervention attempts each day to try to make that happen, that seems like a really good use of a DI and it'd be a fun first one to see happen.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
This has to be an excuse to do the crossover they (promised?) to do. If they do it, I'd love to see fully powered VM squash Vokodo. There's no way they set up the Keyleth hook and don't have at least her show up.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

NowonSA posted:

Yep, next session they either decide to go beat up Vo right after they rest or go explore the island (I'm thinking explore since they'll probably want the Traveler to do them a solid on this one), then travelercon about 4 or 5 sessions from now.

I still hope they make a good pitch for how the Traveler could take out Vo and use that to help achieve the Traveler's goals, and then mostlly sidestep a big ol' fight. You don't want your party relying on that kind of bailout/favor calling, but resolving things that way makes loads of sense given that the Traveler is going to be there anyway and it's his big event that'll need all the extra spice it can get. I'd also be interested to see what kind of trick the Traveler could pull on Vo to screw it over and keep it from trapping anyone else; a big fancy fake god fight is the fun option, but it's not really the Traveler's style.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Traveler did basically a mass greater restoration on the villagers. I also kind of hope both Jester and Cad start spamming Divine intervention attempts each day to try to make that happen, that seems like a really good use of a DI and it'd be a fun first one to see happen.

It all depends on 1) what Vo can actually do to people outside his lair and 2) if Matt decides to go RAW and have Vo come after them ASAP since Fjord's sword would have poofed from its hoard the moment he moved too far away from it.

Glancing at the book, it doesn't look like it can do too much past the entrances to its lair other than move the island itself, but it's hard to say what Matt has planned.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

It all depends on 1) what Vo can actually do to people outside his lair and 2) if Matt decides to go RAW and have Vo come after them ASAP since Fjord's sword would have poofed from its hoard the moment he moved too far away from it.

Glancing at the book, it doesn't look like it can do too much past the entrances to its lair other than move the island itself, but it's hard to say what Matt has planned.

Didn’t Matt house-rule it so that the sword remains material as long as fjord wills it, or am I full of poo poo?

E: like, I thought that was the entire reason he was able to chuck the Falchion into the kiln without it bamfing back and making fjord look a straight up fool.

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 19, 2020

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Since I was able to actually catch up on campaign two during the hiatus, I started going through campaign 1 - I pretty much only listen to it when I'm caught up on C2, and I'm up to episode 55 right now.

I'm much more a fan of C2, but C1 is still fun. The character in C2 are just so much better for the most part.

Caleb is far better than Vax.
Jester is so so much better than Vex.
Nott/Veth is better than Scanlan, though it's closer than Caleb/Jester vs Vax/Vex
Percy is a bit better than Molly, but not nearly as good as Cadeuces.
Beau is a lot better than Keyleth.

However, Pike seems much better realized than Yasha - hopefully now that Ashley's back full time, she can actually get into Yasha's character, but more than anyone else, Yasha's seemed like a stat sheet (though she has had some moments), while every time Pike and Grog run into each other it's absolutely adorable.

Which brings me to Grog, who is head and shoulders above Fjord as well as every other character in either campaign, except maybe Kiri.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
An important thing to remember is that C1 characters were made to be in a one and done oneshot. That one shot lead to a home game that was about halfway done on the path to level 20 by the time it hit Twitch. Then on Twitch it ran for awhile before they thought this thing had any legs and is something worth pursuing in a more realized way. You arf looking at almost 2/3rds of character levels consumed before they started taking this seriously as an enterprise.

C2 characters were conceived of from their inception to be stage characters for an audience rather than a bunch of dick and fart jokes with your friends whose group name was the Super High Intensity Team.

But yes, one Grog to rule them all.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Didn’t Matt house-rule it so that the sword remains material as long as fjord wills it, or am I full of poo poo?

E: like, I thought that was the entire reason he was able to chuck the Falchion into the kiln without it bamfing back and making fjord look a straight up fool.

I don’t recall him making any kind of ruling like that, but I also can’t remember any situations (other than the kiln) where Fjord manifested the sword and then let it out of his grip for the minute it takes to bamf out of existence.

Regardless, I would rule the kiln scene to be a special case. More than just destroying the sword, Fjord’s clear intent was to break his pact with his patron. There aren’t really any rules for that, but tossing your pact weapon into lava is one hell of a way to go about it and you’d have to be a really awful GM to ruin such a scene over the pact weapon rule.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Can't wait for the Retrieving the Leg of Vilya story line.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

redbrouw posted:

Can't wait for the Retrieving the Leg of Vilya story line.

All I’m thinking now is some heavily-accented NPC saying “Ve vould appreciate your help. So get the leg, vilya?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lol Matt actually did it

https://youtu.be/hKlo5FWlxnA