Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

What’s my current assignment?

You are currently the CO of the Corvette Alpetragius, and are also the squadron's commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Short range just means it needs a tanker buddy! No need to drag all the fuel around to every point in every system. Similarly I don't usually use armed surveyors in my games, survey fleets get a little observer friend with good passive sensors to buzz around before the main fleet moves in. Short deployment time is annoying though since they have to come back for R&R.

I started sketching up a system defense missile destroyer, but didn't finish it. Also, the save is about 30 days away from finishing a fuel efficiency tech, so designs should probably include that if they're making new engines anyway.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Virtual Russian posted:

Do you mind posting a component list?

It is short ranged, but that's more my opinion, I like survey craft I can send off for a decade. Shorter range does means more space for systems.

Not until tomorrow - it is late.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

What!? Noooooo!
(please name a ship after the guy who was named after me)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A - Not even a contest, the 0 colony cost planet averages closer than option B and about the same as option C. Neutronium shortage is annoying, but one of the moons or asteroids should have some.
C - Build that economy, also, we're already running a money deficit, we can't afford to pay sailors.
A - This was a hard choice. I would prefer to spend less on the army, but militarized police are bad so I guess send soldiers there with something to do other than harassing civilians. Besides, seeing the new ground forces builder should be interesting.

Thank you for sharing the save.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BCB

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
CBA

Firstly I must insist on us colonizing the system surveyed bravely by yours truly, and also that one of the planets should be renamed in my honour when we do so. I suggest "Purpleheim" or "Purpleville" or possibly "Purpburg." Just to immortalize me.

Secondly we need guns.

Thidly we need more guns.

[attached to the communique is an outsized .bmp file drawing of a new surveyor vessel bristling with guns "in case of alien encounters" that would slow it to a crawl and make it completely unable to effectively perform its primary surveying mission. it's also been decorated with racing stripes]

For real though, are our surveyors actually armed/would it be worthwhile to arm them or are single ships of the surveyor size generally too irrelevant in combat for it to be worth it for a single surveyor to do anything other than leg it, or explode, if it actually encounters something hostile?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My policy votes:

A. Adrastapol

Get that colony cost 0 world! Not requiring infrastructure is going to be huge for developing this planet quickly, especially as we won't have to spend time hauling infrastructure out there -- time better spent instead hauling things like mines and factories and DST's.

B. The Navy can make do with a few new ships.

Especially as colony protection factor is going to become a thing once we settle outside of Sol. Don't want to colonize Adrastapol too quickly and then suddenly they start rebelling because there's nothing in-system to protect them.

A. We must fortify Europa from future attacks, install Surface-to-Orbit weapons

Are we really wanting to be the kind of state that rules through fear of the police? Just put some guns in orbit to watch the skies for potential enemy attack and the people will be happy.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

PurpleXVI posted:

For real though, are our surveyors actually armed/would it be worthwhile to arm them or are single ships of the surveyor size generally too irrelevant in combat for it to be worth it for a single surveyor to do anything other than leg it, or explode, if it actually encounters something hostile?

As I recall from the last Aurora LP I saw, burning too many resources on anything armed early on is a poor move, as it means the fleet we rush into production will be hopelessly obsolete within a handful of years as we start researching actual armaments. Which I why I cast my votes toward investing heavily in infrastructure, so that when the cool guns are finally researched, we can construct more of them, more quickly.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do you mind random Aurora questions in this thread? I’m trying to figure it out right now and I realized I have a question that didn’t come up in this thread but relates to something you must have already done.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Can I be a Scientist?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NHO posted:

Can I be a Scientist?

Sure, a brave choice.

Pirate Radar posted:

Do you mind random Aurora questions in this thread? I’m trying to figure it out right now and I realized I have a question that didn’t come up in this thread but relates to something you must have already done.

Go for it. Hopefully myself or someone else can answer. Aurora can be a bit frustrating at times because there isn't really a manual anywhere. I know stuff about the old version of the game, and then I've read most of the change logs from the new version. The change lists on the Aurora forum function kinda like a manual, but they only explain changes in C# Aurora that weren't in VB Aurora.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I can’t figure out how to get gravity survey sensors? Did I gently caress something up, or do they have a prerequisite I don’t know about? Geo survey sensors are a research option for me but not grav survey sensors. So I can’t survey Lagrange points, the ships just sort of sit there.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

My vote is: ACA

The space army needs to build up and General Romanova is correct. Though, I feel the Naval cabal has been hard at work quashing the development of troop transports to further their own agenda (and stifle the promotion of good officers like Captain BUG JUG). A war cannot be won by space alone! We need to build up our army!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

I can’t figure out how to get gravity survey sensors? Did I gently caress something up, or do they have a prerequisite I don’t know about? Geo survey sensors are a research option for me but not grav survey sensors. So I can’t survey Lagrange points, the ships just sort of sit there.

Have you researched Jump Point Theory? I think that is the prerequisite.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gnoman posted:

Have you researched Jump Point Theory? I think that is the prerequisite.

Don’t think so! Which category is that?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

C# Aurora hasn't ported the interface for showing compatible classes yet, but kept the logic for it. A shipyard tooled for one class can build anything that's refit cost is 15% of its total, plus a penalty for size changes.
A shipyard tooled for the colony ship can build the freighter (can also build our existing freighters)

Colony Ship

Cargo Ship

- They are 2/3 payload and 1/3 overhead by tonnage
- They're assuming an update to the existing 40HS commercial engine to add the fuel tech we get in a month (204RP, may not be worth it). Using the existing one drops range to 10.6 bkm.
- They have range for operating round-trip inside Sol. If we do cross-system traffic, they want our one existing tanker to either sit on the jump point or stockpile fuel at the far end.

Pirate Radar posted:

Don't think so! Which category is that?
Power and Propulsion

PurpleXVI posted:

They mostly just explode. A dedicated warship doesn't need to spend tonnage on survey sensors and can use high power, low efficiency engines so will be multiple times faster. Military stuff is also enormous, a dedicated survey ship can be smaller than just the point defense turrets on our existing gunship. Unarmed geosurvey ships can also be built from commercial yards and don't have to do military maintenance rules.

e: Warships!

These are trying to minimize new components. Basic design goal was to throw biggest missile salvo at longest range that is practical with our current tech.

Missile
-Picked 4 units of boom for the payload. Armor in aurora works by each ship having a grid of Armor Level x Size boxes. An incoming weapon picks a random column to hit, then drops its damage template down that column connect-4 style until it finds an undestroyed box. Any damage that gets to the bottom is applied to internal systems. Each weapon type has a different shaped template as it adds boom. Missiles use a triangle, so a 4-damage strike always penetrates at least 1 armor level.
- Picked 1:1 missile size to boom for a size-4 missile. C# Aurora changed the way missile scaling works so that small missiles are no longer always better than big ones.
- Picked 12000km/s for the speed since it's a nice round number
With those constraints, the best missile range we can do is 26mkm

This is a 220RP project.

A fire control with matching range targeting 1000 ton ships is another 156RP

Shooter
For a firing platform, took a 1000 ton shell, gave it a reasonable combat speed using existing engines, enough range to get around the inside of Sol, a 1 year maintenance cycle, and filled the rest of the space with box launchers (these need research but they're like 20RP and don't need upgrades for the rest of the game)

They have no armor and will die immediately to anything that outranges them or that can survive a missile strike and then catch them. They're also can't spot targets for themselves, a search sensor with enough range is too big. They also have no passive sensors

vs our existing Gladius FAC's:
(-) Kobold can't self-spot
(-) Kobold has no railgun to beat up civilians
(-) Kobold needs more maintenance
(+) Kobold has 2.5X missile range
(+) Kobold has 2X boom
(+) Kobold has 7X fuel range
(=) Equal speed
(=) Equally fragile

vs our existing Zeus gunboat (different role), guestimating about a flight of ~5 Kobolds to destroy one in one pass. Zeus armor takes ~8 hits to penetrate, the missiles have ~40% hit rate, and the Zeus point defense will shoot down about 4 missiles per salvo on average.

Spotter
For spotting, fitted our existing sensors onto a hull, then added a new search sensor to cover the missile envelope (600RP!). It's primary defense is an armor belt (expected value is 44 size-4 hits to penetrate). Added a hanger deck, magazine, and extra fuel to reload the Kobolds. (Refuel/rearm is annoying on the interface since there's no way to queue each order). Each ones is intended to support ~8 kobolds and get off one reload per combat encounter (it's 100minutes per kobold to reload, so it depends how rapidly an enemy can close)

Costs a little more than a Zeus, cost is 25% engines, 33% armor, remainder systems (Zeus is 30% engines, 17% point defense, 13% armor, remainder systems)

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 18, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Now that is a well thought out pair of ships.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I look forward to once we've got some more advanced technology researched and maybe a couple spare shipyards, so I can try designing our flagship. It'll be great, I promise.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Virtual Russian posted:

Do you mind posting a component list?

The only new component is the highlighted engine, which fills a niche the other ones did not - the commercial drives are too weak, and the military ones are too thirsty.

From an RP perspective, the purpose of this design is that the populace at large is going to be more accepting of a "Exploration ship with organic self defense capability" than they are "giant warship". I've got a design for a purely military version of the ship as well. Now that I've checked, you can build this design from the same shipyard, so I'll put it here (and go back and add it to the proposal for easier reference).

code:
Aswan class Cruiser (P)      12,000 tons       310 Crew       1,159.5 BP       TCS 240    TH 512    EM 0
2133 km/s      Armour 3-46       Shields 0-0       HTK 64      Sensors 60/0/0/0      DCR 10      PPV 51
Maint Life 4.95 Years     MSP 1,003    AFR 115%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 68    5YR 1,019    Max Repair 128 MSP
Magazine 200    
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Morale Check Required    

Rhee Marine Atomosaur Cruise Drive (2)    Power 512    Fuel Use 45.00%    Signature 256    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 1,000,000 Litres    Range 33.3 billion km (180 days at full power)

Nas Ordnance CIWS-80 (2x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 8,000 km/s     ROF 5       
Size 5 Box Launcher (3)     Missile Size: 5    Hangar Reload 111 minutes    MF Reload 18 hours
Gavrilov & Rozhdestvensky Size 5 Missile Launcher (75.00% Reduction) (13)     Missile Size: 5    Rate of Fire 70
Strickland & Hunter Missile Fire Control FC10-R10 (1)     Range 10.3m km    Resolution 10
Spear Anti-Ship Missile (40)    Speed: 12,320 km/s    End: 13.8m     Range: 10.2m km    WH: 6    Size: 5    TH: 41/24/12

Lalbhai & Akkiyana Active Search Sensor AS14-R20 (1)     GPS 360     Range 14.5m km    Resolution 20
Lackner-Ebner Active Search Sensor AS1-R1 (1)     GPS 3     Range 2m km    MCR 175.9k km    Resolution 1
Suvorov Electronics Thermal Sensor TH10-60 (1)     Sensitivity 60     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  61.2m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

As far as I can tell, a shipyard configured for an Endeavour will be able to build a Aswan or even an Odysseus.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
The answer given is correct. Jump Point Theory is the prerequisite to any kind of extrasolar travel and as such you sort of have to do it at a certain point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Could you dwarf MrMojangles as a scientist, budget an extra 10% of salary for life insurance premium

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

A 1000-ton warship tin can that's bristling with box launchers and just enough engines to run away? How positively Jeune Ecole, I love it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm going to run the policy vote until tomorrow around 2pm EDT. I'll also start the vote on ship designs around that time. If we still don't have enough civilian designs I'll make a few that fit distinct roles to augment what is already in here.

sebmojo posted:

Could you dwarf MrMojangles as a scientist, budget an extra 10% of salary for life insurance premium

You are in.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vote:

A: Adrastapol
B: a few new ships
A: Surface to orbit weaponry

We should start thinking of new names to, I propose Glory Hole for Adrastapol.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Should put an EM sensor on this so it can tell when something targets it instead of having to wait till the thermal picks up the missiles. Also, I don't think the missile detection sensor does anything? It doesn't have any fleet point defense weapons.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

A 1000-ton warship tin can that's bristling with box launchers and just enough engines to run away? How positively Jeune Ecole, I love it.

For the tin cans, could also drop the extra missile range and go back to ~12mkm like our other missiles. That: (1) gets rid of the need for a separate spotter shipyard [sensor variant can share], (2) most of the extra research for the search sensor and fire control, (3) adds some extra warhead/quantity/speed to the missiles instead of the range, (4) adds some more tubes to the ships (fire control shrinks). But as soon as they don't outrange an opponent, they crumble.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Foxfire_ posted:

Should put an EM sensor on this so it can tell when something targets it instead of having to wait till the thermal picks up the missiles. Also, I don't think the missile detection sensor does anything? It doesn't have any fleet point defense weapons.

Unless it has been changed or I'm missing something, C# requires the ship to be able to see the missile for any defenses to engage it, including CIWS. So deleting the missile detector will prevent it from protecting itself.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Each CIWS gets a built-in always-on zero-emissions active sensor to shoot at any missiles right before they impact. Only non-CIWS point defenses needs a dedicated sensor On the downside, every copy of that CIWS is paying 0.25HS for another sensor.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 19, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

C# Aurora hasn't ported the interface for showing compatible classes yet, but kept the logic for it. A shipyard tooled for one class can build anything that's refit cost is 15% of its total, plus a penalty for size changes.
A shipyard tooled for the colony ship can build the freighter (can also build our existing freighters)

Colony Ship

Cargo Ship

- They are 2/3 payload and 1/3 overhead by tonnage
- They're assuming an update to the existing 40HS commercial engine to add the fuel tech we get in a month (204RP, may not be worth it). Using the existing one drops range to 10.6 bkm.
- They have range for operating round-trip inside Sol. If we do cross-system traffic, they want our one existing tanker to either sit on the jump point or stockpile fuel at the far end.

By using the default Fuel tanks of 250k litres you can increase the range of these to just under 30b km and it only costs 1km/s.

You deployment time is also at 12 months. Did C# add a reason to increase the deployment time of civilian ships over 3 months? If there is, you can give it a deployment time equal to it's range (16 months) and only drop the speed of the cargo ship with full size tanks down to 683km/s.

Running the numbers to optimize the number of cargo shuttles says you're right on the money there. It also says round trip time for any of these colonies is going to be half a year. This is going to be sloooooow. Really glad we put a starter colony on the moon. That should help finances a lot.

Here's the Colony ship for completeness. The Completely Ethical freezes people for over a year and very definitely doesn't cook any of them for too long when thawing them out.

Originally intended more as a thought experiment than anything else, the Sufficient is a colony ship with integral infrastructure. It can carry 4 infrastructure, which should be just enough for it's 40k colonists on a colony cost 2 world, of which we have many. This way there's none of that accidental murders that so often occurs due to how many more colonists a colony ship can transport than the equivalent freighter. Interestingly, It's 15% faster than the single purpose colony ship, which shaves almost 50 days off the round trip. I think this might be our best colony ship option unless the 0 colony cost colony gets picked.

I just noticed that we have a 100k Civilian yard. I don't know what you're planning on using that for, but it might make sense to triple the size of these designs and build them there.

I usually prefer to split my geo-survey and grav-survey ships. However, we've got a 2k naval shipyard, so here's my attempt at squeezing a survey craft in under that size. The Opportunity is a dual purpose grav/geo surveyor. It has the most optimal deployment time of all possibilities, 69 months (a happy accident, the math just worked out that way). It is size limited so it needs a custom fitted engine, and I used the .8 fuel efficiency tech that comes in next month.

It took several iterations, but I'm honestly pretty happy with this design finally. It beats out the current design in several categories. Most importantly it's both a fraction of the size and cost.

Oops, you didn't need survey designs. Sorry.

In penance, here is a Troop Transport. The Minimal class is capable of transporting any of our current ground units and can easily be built in any civilian yard, or even in a new civilian yard.

Giving it a large fuel storage meant it would take 4 years to reach it's maximum range, which is ridiculous, so I trimmed it down a bit to something saner and boosted the speed by a few km/s.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 19, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

We have more than one Survey vessel design so i'll definitely put them into the vote. We could certainly use more, especially if we can produce one in a shipyard otherwise unused.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Colony Target: A The lack of neutronium will hamper a possible future development of Naval construction, but until this is even remotely on the agenda, sufficient shipping will exist for us to make good of the lack of ressources.

Fleet programme: B While we expand our teritory we need forces to cover our extrasolar colonies and patrol our shipping lanes. Which requires fleet units tailored towards this role, espeacially a long range escort/patrol-craft as well as local defensive squadrons comprised of FACs

Europa defence: B As much as it pains me, permanent emplacement of a second line of defences is currently infeasible. The creation of a single STO-battery would tie up a quarter of our training capacity for fourteen months. Adding the required support and command elements will tie up half of our training capacity for almost two years. If such forces are created in the future, which I strongly urge our leadership to do, priority must be with our extrasolar colonies.

I furthermore inquire our scientific to evaluate the possibility to embed civilian archeologists with a small formation of Marines to investigate the alien ruins scattered over our territory. If alien ruins exist we have to know what has lead to the destruction of these colonies. If there is a species killing other aliens, we must need to know as much as possible to properly prepare for a potential conflict.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Vote:

A: Adrastapol
B: a few new ships
A: Surface to orbit weaponry

So mote it be.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

So, I have a few questions about Aurora that I'll be using to inform my future decisions related to both policy and possible ship designs:

-Is ramming a tactic a ship class can be told to employ? Say, if said ship were just a stripped-down hunk of metal with some overpowered engines strapped to the back to maximize its speed and maybe also stuffed full of explosives?

-How capable are we of robbing other cultures we encounter of their researched technologies? And is "from their smoking corpses" a viable avenue of acquiring these technologies?

-What's the biggest ship chassis that can be stuffed full of military hardware, and when will it be feasible to produce it?

-Can military ships be fitted with survey and diplomatic modules alongside their weapons and shields? Say, a giant ship designed with a continuing mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and to boldly go where no one has gone before?

-Are shuttles/fighter craft/etc. just another piece of equipment for ships, like guns or engines, or will we eventually be designing small craft to be stored inside larger ships?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

A: Colonize Adrastapol! Seize that Gaian planet!
B: The Navy can make do with a few new ships. One squadron of the Kobold-class tin cans and one of their associated tenders. Enough that we have something but, frankly, it's much better to invest in growth and industry.
B. We will install a respectable garrison to function as a police force. As above, defense is just not a priority right now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

EclecticTastes posted:

So, I have a few questions about Aurora that I'll be using to inform my future decisions related to both policy and possible ship designs:

-Is ramming a tactic a ship class can be told to employ? Say, if said ship were just a stripped-down hunk of metal with some overpowered engines strapped to the back to maximize its speed and maybe also stuffed full of explosives?

-How capable are we of robbing other cultures we encounter of their researched technologies? And is "from their smoking corpses" a viable avenue of acquiring these technologies?

-What's the biggest ship chassis that can be stuffed full of military hardware, and when will it be feasible to produce it?

-Can military ships be fitted with survey and diplomatic modules alongside their weapons and shields? Say, a giant ship designed with a continuing mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and to boldly go where no one has gone before?

-Are shuttles/fighter craft/etc. just another piece of equipment for ships, like guns or engines, or will we eventually be designing small craft to be stored inside larger ships?

-I... don't believe there's ramming in this game, but I can't say for certain. In game terms anyway, overpowered engines + stuffed full of explosives = a missile, so theoretically you could just... build really huge missiles :v:

-Depending on the settings at save start, conquering an alien population has a chance to give you their technologies. You can also earn progress toward technologies by recovering artifacts from alien ruins.

-The sky's the limit, there are no set "chassis". You can make something as small as a couple hundred tons (theoretically), or something as big as millions. Of course it wouldn't be cost-effective or time-efficient to do so, but it is possible.

-Survey yes, diplomatic I'm not sure... the diplomatic module is actually new since Aurora C#. I usually just make a specific diplomatic ship whose job it is to a.) have the module and b.) just kinda sit in-system where there are alien races. But yes, a Star Trek style "all-in-one" ship is very doable.

-Fighters/FACs are designed just like ships are (for that matter, guns and engines are also designed, so....)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

So what's stopping us from making a 1000 ton unmanned missile with a range measured in AUs?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Drone posted:

-I... don't believe there's ramming in this game, but I can't say for certain. In game terms anyway, overpowered engines + stuffed full of explosives = a missile, so theoretically you could just... build really huge missiles :v:

I just assumed there's an upper limit on how big you can make a missile and that if we needed some extra punch we could make a few that are the size of capital ships. You know. Just in case.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

So what's stopping us from making a 1000 ton unmanned missile with a range measured in AUs?

Need a launcher large enough to shoot it. There may be an upper limit on launcher size, I haven't checked.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do missiles have HTK the same as ships do, or is a big missile just as easy for CIWS to kill as a small one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Drone posted:

-Depending on the settings at save start, conquering an alien population has a chance to give you their technologies. You can also earn progress toward technologies by recovering artifacts from alien ruins.
Additionally, there's one more, if C# hasn't changed it. If you capture ships with troops and scrap them, or of ypu salvage a wreck with a salvage module, you can get alien ship components. You can consume these compoments to get a research boost if they use techs you dom't yet possess.