Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mmm I wonder when will they release a VR version for Superhot Mind Control Delete. Next year I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Turin Turambar posted:

Mmm I wonder when will they release a VR version for Superhot Mind Control Delete. Next year I guess.

Hope so. I was disappointed when I realized it didn't have VR support.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Turin Turambar posted:

They are a small team. They haven't even decided to start working on it, it will be a long time but my bet is on never. They've neglected Superhot VR so badly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

rage-saq posted:

They are a small team. They haven't even decided to start working on it, it will be a long time but my bet is on never. They've neglected Superhot VR so badly.

How so?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

LLSix posted:

How so?

No end user content creation support. This game could be as big as Beat Saber with some small semblance of custom tools allowing creators to unleash their imagination.
No additional content post release. You can beat Superhot VR in ~30 minutes if you know the game moderately well.
Halfassed LIV implementation. When they implemented LIV around the knuckles update last year they finally added LIV (which I prodded them a lot on) and when they did so they did it incorrectly for the Rift (which is why VD on Quest is broken unless you change the branch). I was asked by them to test it, I told them it was broken for Rift, and its never been fixed a year later.
I could go on...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Dietrich posted:

The only problem I have with my 2.0s is that they don't always wake up, sometimes need to unplug and replug them.
You updated Windows 10 very recently? To version 2004?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am enjoying VR pinball way more than I thought I ever would. This is probably only the third or fourth game that is justifying my investment in the Quest headset at this rate. Am a little bummed that you only get three pack-in games and the others are all parts of $20 DLC packs but I guess that’s 2020.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's also how Pinball FX/Zen Pinball has always been, only usually they have a free base table.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

You updated Windows 10 very recently? To version 2004?

Since may or something yeah.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

njsykora posted:

It's also how Pinball FX/Zen Pinball has always been, only usually they have a free base table.

Yeah, for $12, or whatever I paid, I was hoping for a little more “free” content but I’m probably happy enough with the experience that I’ll shell out for the others.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

rage-saq posted:

No additional content post release. You can beat Superhot VR in ~30 minutes if you know the game moderately well.

That's a bit problem with VR games. Full game price but with content that on a normal PC would cost ½ or 1/3 as much...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Was this posted in here? I just remembered it and lol'd

quote:

My (27f) boyfriend (23m) tried to throw out our bed so he could play a video game

Me and my boyfriend have been living together for about a year now and for a while he's been really interested in virtual reality. Now the problem is that our tiny studio apartment isn't big enough to jump around in. He knows this, I know this, and we've had multiple conversations about how it's a shame we don't live in some huge house where we could dedicate an entire room to something like that.

I went out yesterday for a walk and a picnic yesterday and came back to my boyfriend dismantling our bed. I assumed something had broken and asked what had happened. Nothing was broken. He'd managed to order an oculus quest headset and had made the executive decision that we could swap our double bed for a Japanese futon??

There is no loving room for this. Even if we lived on the ground floor (which we don't), and I was willing to sleep on the floor (which I'm not), the room just isn't big enough. It would dominate the entire room. Am I supposed to crouch in the kitchen whilst he plays? Our entire home is being compromised for what is effectively a video game.

I honestly don't really know what to say. He thinks he's being entirely reasonable to do this without involving me. I don't even know what to say to him here since the whole thing seems so ridiculous and he's so obviously being unreasonable yet is oblivious and keeps saying I'll really enjoy vr and it'll all be worth it. I told him I was worried he'll damage the TV or my art supplies and he is convinced it won't be a problem as they have sensors for that.

I love my boyfriend and he's always been entirely reasonable and level headed until now and we always discuss everything. How do I get through to him about this? If it wasn't so difficult right now I'd be considering moving out or leaving. I told him I'd throw it out the window when it arrived unless he was going to sit down and have a serious conversation about this but he just won't take anything I say seriously.

TL;DR My boyfriend bought a vr headset and wants to remove our bed to play it in our tiny studio apartment and can't see this is unreasonable.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
'Studio Apartment' is just loving landlord speak for 'a big room' right? Yeah dump him.

Something I noticed playing today is that my Optician inserts are causing some glare I assume due to not being in perfect contact with the VR lenses, especially on games with a lot of very bright colours like SUPERHOT. Is there anything that can be done to deal with that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MarcusSA posted:

Dude got priorities.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Dietrich posted:

Since may or something yeah.
Yeah, Microsoft hosed with the Bluetooth stack and it's affecting the SteamVR stuff. There's an ongoing issue where Realtek chips suddenly can't communicate with more than one device at a time, and it's being researched for way too long now, IMO. I checked out a tear-down of an Index to see what BT chipset it uses, but the markings aren't detailed enough, but I figure it's related.

You can fudge around with this and create a batch file to force them on and off.

https://github.com/nouser2013/lighthouse-v2-manager

It works well enough.

That said, if a loving Python script can make it work, so should SteamVR (that said, I have BTLE on my mainboard enabled). At least for turning them on and off. I wouldn't want to update them OTA, tho.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If I do badly enough at Beat Saber do I get sent to a retirement home? loving hell.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Pierson posted:

If I do badly enough at Beat Saber do I get sent to a retirement home? loving hell.

To be honest, I only find songs fun if they allow me to have fun and dance with/to them instead of looking like a weirdo wildly stabbing at the air. I.e. normal is usually the most fun.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

fun is what you make it. sometimes I like to play some maps that aren't insane so I can essentially freestyle while playing. freestyle in this sense meaning "doing whatever the gently caress" which includes "dancing", "trying to throw in a 360 just to see if I can keep the FC going" and "spinning the blades like I'm about to square up with a samurai and I'm a grungy ronin"

like I was mad into guitar hero and rock band in the heyday. Whenever I would watch my sister play on normal or whatever I never judged her for not playing at the hardest difficulty.

the best thing about VR is you can play like no one's watching, because if you turn off the monitor, they can't! and also you're blocking them out with an entire other reality so that helps too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Depending on your VR kit, you can just straight up turn off all the lights and play in total darkness, too! I find it extremely amusing to do this. Or, if my wife is playing, to do this to her.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

MarcusSA posted:

My (27f) boyfriend (23m) tried to throw out our bed so he could play a video game

Me and my boyfriend have been living together for about a year now and for a while he's been really interested in virtual reality. Now the problem is that our tiny studio apartment isn't big enough to jump around in. He knows this, I know this, and we've had multiple conversations about how it's a shame we don't live in some huge house where we could dedicate an entire room to something like that.

I went out yesterday for a walk and a picnic yesterday and came back to my boyfriend dismantling our bed. I assumed something had broken and asked what had happened. Nothing was broken. He'd managed to order an oculus quest headset and had made the executive decision that we could swap our double bed for a Japanese futon??

There is no loving room for this. Even if we lived on the ground floor (which we don't), and I was willing to sleep on the floor (which I'm not), the room just isn't big enough. It would dominate the entire room. Am I supposed to crouch in the kitchen whilst he plays? Our entire home is being compromised for what is effectively a video game.

I honestly don't really know what to say. He thinks he's being entirely reasonable to do this without involving me. I don't even know what to say to him here since the whole thing seems so ridiculous and he's so obviously being unreasonable yet is oblivious and keeps saying I'll really enjoy vr and it'll all be worth it. I told him I was worried he'll damage the TV or my art supplies and he is convinced it won't be a problem as they have sensors for that.

I love my boyfriend and he's always been entirely reasonable and level headed until now and we always discuss everything. How do I get through to him about this? If it wasn't so difficult right now I'd be considering moving out or leaving. I told him I'd throw it out the window when it arrived unless he was going to sit down and have a serious conversation about this but he just won't take anything I say seriously.

TL;DR My boyfriend bought a vr headset and wants to remove our bed to play it in our tiny studio apartment and can't see this is unreasonable.

Sounds like the boyfriend thought they had discussed it. A lot.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can we start a meetup group for some games?

Quote reply if you are interested in:

Poker (poker stars or Poker VR). Neither require money

Pavlov

I need some goon friends to play with.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There's a discord, it's in the OP.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Thanks I’m in it. Still thought I’d try here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

Can we start a meetup group for some games?

Quote reply if you are interested in:

Poker (poker stars or Poker VR). Neither require money

Pavlov

I need some goon friends to play with.

I can do pokerstars or Pavlov

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I’ll be up for poker normally, just not this weekend.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay I tell you guys what, how about you add me on steam!

FuriousPhoen1x

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I've been playing Pokerstars with randoms so it would be great to play with some goons.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Do we have a steam VR list of goons? I can start a drive excel sheet if we don’t!

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
My steam name is Electric J.
I'm down for rec room or Pavlov after it downloads. I have country internet.
I keep trying to play vrchat, but I have a problem going to a room until I find an avatar I like. There is only memes and anime. I just downloaded blender last night and started learning how to use it. I'm making a Rando from Lisa the painful right now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Captain Apollo posted:

Do we have a steam VR list of goons? I can start a drive excel sheet if we don’t!

The Discord basically acts as that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Discord is trash, please use spreadsheets or start a steam group

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I'd be down for sucking horribly at pavlov if someone did discord pings or something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How big of a bottleneck is an i7 mobile cpu, when attached to a 2080 eGPU

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Anyone played Battlewake? On a pretty big sale at the moment on greenmangaming.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Two quick questions about caring for this expensive hunk of computing: Should I be worried about the detachable plastic shield on the front of the headset or is that thing specifically FOR protecting the rest of it from big idiots like me who just want to see whats inside that filing cabinet and smack it into the wall? Also Is there a preferred kind of detergent for cleaning and face gasket or will any regular thing do?

If I want to show this stuff to somebody whose main gaming hobby is puzzle games what would be a cool one to show them? I picked up Room VR real cheap, anything else fun?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So I bought Walking Dead and my "Why is there music playing suddenly... WHY IS THERE MUSIC PLAYING SUDDENLY!?" reaction ended up being accurate and I died horribly a few minutes later.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pierson posted:

If I want to show this stuff to somebody whose main gaming hobby is puzzle games what would be a cool one to show them? I picked up Room VR real cheap, anything else fun?

Fisherman’s Tale for sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

How big of a bottleneck is an i7 mobile cpu, when attached to a 2080 eGPU

What generation i7?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierson posted:

Two quick questions about caring for this expensive hunk of computing: Should I be worried about the detachable plastic shield on the front of the headset or is that thing specifically FOR protecting the rest of it from big idiots like me who just want to see whats inside that filing cabinet and smack it into the wall? Also Is there a preferred kind of detergent for cleaning and face gasket or will any regular thing do?

FORM is a good one; It's very short (under an hour) but gorgeous and a fun little puzzle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

FORM is a good one; It's very short (under an hour) but gorgeous and a fun little puzzle game.

I second Form, it's very good but also Transpose, it's easily the best puzzle game on VR IMO.