Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

There's also the problem of if he reads from the bible his pants start on fire and stormclouds immediately blow in.

A terrible snipe, have a picture of my cat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are you kidding? Open an official inquiry, make some people come and officially testify about it. At the very least shine some light and send the message that some parts of our federal government do not support these acts.

I really hate this excuse for the supposed good guys doing nothing. Elected officials do in fact have some power, and not exercising it against evil poo poo is as good as supporting it.

The problem with this is while you have the Congress following the law and :decorum: Trump and all his enablers do not care. You could pass every law against it but it is impossible to enforce it when they have shown zero inclination of following any law before.

This is why this behavior mattered before and this is yet another sign that we are a failed state.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Djarum posted:

The problem with this is while you have the Congress following the law and :decorum: Trump and all his enablers do not care. You could pass every law against it but it is impossible to enforce it when they have shown zero inclination of following any law before.

This is why this behavior mattered before and this is yet another sign that we are a failed state.

But like, there's no law that says the President and his cronies have to follow the law....

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I mean they could always stop funding the military and secret police, since they've been screaming for four years that he's a dictator and a Russian spy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Uh oh....we're due for a strongly worded letter.

In all seriousness, it's frustrating as hell when our elected leaders sit on the sidelines wringing their hands. What do we elect these people for? I realize that they're somewhat limited in their powers, but I'm so sick and tired of Republicans eternally upping the fascist ante and Democrats living up to their depiction in that Tim Kreider cartoon.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feldegast42 posted:

Immediately strip funding from the secret police

Get on the news media 24/7 and tell everyone in the country that opposes Trump that they will be next and mobilize people that way

Work with the judicial branch to try to shut this down that way

Basically do literally anything than boilerplate bullshit followed by loving off to your vineyard

so you want them to send a bunch of strongly worded letters

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Congress should immediately supeona all documents and organizers of the Portland poo poo, and use inherent contempt of they do not comply. Start arresting people. Make the lives of the ones doing it very difficult until they are gone.

They can't pass bills due to the Senate, but they could at least do something.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mistaya posted:

That’s a pro-level Flooflord/lady, please give them skritches on my behalf.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Uh oh....we're due for a strongly worded letter.

In all seriousness, it's frustrating as hell when our elected leaders sit on the sidelines wringing their hands. What do we elect these people for? I realize that they're somewhat limited in their powers, but I'm so sick and tired of Republicans eternally upping the fascist ante and Democrats living up to their depiction in that Tim Kreider cartoon.

It’s because a ton of the Dems are looking for the same end goal of the Republicans (concentrate the wealth in the hands of the elite and leave the remainder of us scum in glorified indentured servitude). Pelosi can’t get too nasty towards her corporate masters, lest they cut off her money supply.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Congress should immediately supeona all documents and organizers of the Portland poo poo, and use inherent contempt of they do not comply. Start arresting people. Make the lives of the ones doing it very difficult until they are gone.

They can't pass bills due to the Senate, but they could at least do something.

Let's be realistic. They should do this, but there's a good chance the SCOTUS would just shut it down and nothing would happen.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I mean yeah the president is illegally kidnapping protestors and dem house leadership has said this is unacceptable but have you considered that both sides are the same?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pacerhimself posted:

I mean yeah the president is illegally kidnapping protestors and dem house leadership has said this is unacceptable but have you considered that both sides are the same?

Look, we all know Hillary would have kidnapped just as many protestors

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Congress has no authority over the executive if you guys haven't noticed. The President just tells agency's to ignore Congress the funding is already passed. It's up to Govenors to protect the people from a over reaching President.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

pacerhimself posted:

Which side whipped votes to approve record levels of funding for the gestapo agencies under Trump in exchange for a pinky promise that Pence would let them know if a child prisoner died in US custody?

Please, remind me.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Shut the gently caress up Mat

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is there reason to believe the dems are actually interested in empowering and protecting activists? with all the support ive seen them throw at the security state im a little skeptical

selec
Sep 6, 2003

pacerhimself posted:

Shut the gently caress up Mat

If you can’t accept that we got into this situation due to bipartisan consensus on policing and the security state, then it is indeed you who are the baby, and must shut the gently caress up.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

selec posted:

If you can’t accept that we got into this situation due to bipartisan consensus on policing and the security state, then it is indeed you who are the baby, and must shut the gently caress up.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
No, it is very much a problem that they continue to pass laws that grant the executive such broad powers. These kinds of things were foreseeable, but ignored to not rock the boat.

We're in unprecedented times, and Dems continue to be the other team in an airbud movie

selec
Sep 6, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

is there reason to believe the dems are actually interested in empowering and protecting activists? with all the support ive seen them throw at the security state im a little skeptical

Biden has millions of dollars of campaign money squirreled away for lawyers. It’d be a great olive branch to the left if those lawyers worked on shutting the disappearances down. That’s one thing they could easily do, and which I would think a Sanders campaign would be doing.

They’re not interested in curbing police power because they know the unrest is going to get worse after the election.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Greataval posted:

Congress has no authority over the executive if you guys haven't noticed. The President just tells agency's to ignore Congress the funding is already passed. It's up to Govenors to protect the people from a over reaching President.

Trumps entire presidency has challenged the balance of power between branches. So much of what Congress could “actually” do does amount to strongly worded letters, it’s just that for forever that been all it takes. Trump just ignores the letter and keeps going, which is something our stupid system of governance never really accounted for.

Alternatively I’ve heard the situation summed up as the founders planned on how to handle a corrupt individual, but not a corrupt party/multiple branches.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
post better and/or stop slapfighting

just because the fash are blackbagging protesters and gearing up to occupy multiple American cities is no reason to take it out on your fellow goons and make the thread bad

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pacerhimself posted:

yeah, they said child concentration camps were unacceptable too

then trump said "money please" and they responded "oh yes of course, don't worry about those left wingers saying we shouldn't do that, we'll rouse a racist backlash against them ourselves, you don't need to tweet about it"

for some reason trust in them is low!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1284454246281289728

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Iirc the FEDERAL guy for Oregon also got mad, which is unusual since he's, you know, DOJ, but it's good to see Oregon's top cop has a line that distresses him.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

selec posted:

:emptyquote:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

just because the fash are blackbagging protesters and gearing up to occupy multiple American cities is no reason to take it out on your fellow goons and make the thread bad

Not trying to be snarky here but it seems like the only people doing slapfight poo poo are the ones upset at being asked to not perpetuate historical revisionism about how both parties explicitly enable fascist violence, no matter how much they wring their hands or perform wokeness in public.

Just one man's opinion anyway!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
We need more people on the streets..

Roll the vans, slash their tires, set them on fire, and make sure anyone who was inside can't walk away unaided.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mistaya posted:

There's also the problem of if he reads from the bible his pants start on fire and stormclouds immediately blow in.

I want to cut the loose hairs off of the bottom of your cat's feet.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

selec posted:

Sadly, im inclined to agree

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

selec posted:

Biden has millions of dollars of campaign money squirreled away for lawyers. It’d be a great olive branch to the left if those lawyers worked on shutting the disappearances down. That’s one thing they could easily do, and which I would think a Sanders campaign would be doing.

They’re not interested in curbing police power because they know the unrest is going to get worse after the election.

yeah, this isn't gonna get better for a while, and we know Biden's historical stance on what should be done with people protesting for civil rights.

makes a certain amount of sense. why tie up valuable legal time freeing people you think belong in jail for upsetting suburban whites anyway

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mat Cauthon posted:

Not trying to be snarky here but it seems like the only people doing slapfight poo poo are the ones upset at being asked to not perpetuate historical revisionism about how both parties explicitly enable fascist violence, no matter how much they wring their hands or perform wokeness in public.

Just one man's opinion anyway!

The bad guys on one side: "Please give me money for secret police."

The bad guys on the other side: "Okay we are enthusiastically giving it to you."

Us: "Gee, seems like both sides are pretty bad when it comes to the police state!"

Shitheels: "lol that's just bothsidesism right :smuggo:"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have no idea what the slapfights are about, but this is a genuinely terrifying juxtaposition.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Raising awareness is a good first step, action follows words and intent. But it is the case there's not a lot that can be done other than voting him out.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

Raising awareness is a good first step, action follows words and intent. But it is the case there's not a lot that can be done other than voting him out.

yeah im sure the dems will stop authorizing the patriot act once he's gone

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I know :decorum: and all that but I'd love a not so thinly veiled threat that a Biden presidency is going to include investigations into everyone involved in all this poo poo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

A week of coast to coast protests got more done as far as getting local and state governments to start curbing police power than any elected official. The cops are acting out now because they see their power threatened.

There's a whole hell of a lot that could be done between now and November, and the easiest option is getting a critical mass of people back out in the streets.

Saying that voting is our only or even best option is liberal defeatism.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

A week of coast to coast protests got more done as far as getting local and state governments to start curbing police power than any elected official. The cops are acting out now because they see their power threatened.

There's a whole hell of a lot that could be done between now and November, and the easiest option is getting a critical mass of people back out in the streets.

Saying that voting is our only or even best option is liberal defeatism.

Direct action does indeed get the goods.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

cr0y posted:

I know :decorum: and all that but I'd love a not so thinly veiled threat that a Biden presidency is going to include investigations into everyone involved in all this poo poo.

what in Joe Biden's record would lead you to believe he views the restoration of law and order at the expense of protesters as anything other than an unalloyed good

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This Portland DHS/ Border Patrol Gestapo poo poo only confirms for me that the National Guard and other armed services told him to gently caress off and die, and the Donut Nazi Brigade that is ICE is the only group remotely loyal to Trump, and only Trump

DHS will have to completely purged with the incoming adminstration

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 18, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I remember unmarked-FEDS-van grabs in Minneapolis either the night after or within the first few nights of the first George Floyd protest.

At the time they still had not identified themselves to anyone or been discovered to be DHS, so it was assumed they were local cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

This Portland DHS/ Border Patrol Gestapo poo poo only confirms for me that the National Guard and other armed services told him to gently caress off and die, and the Donut Naxi Brigade that is ICE is the only group remotely loyal to Trump, and only Trump

DHS will have to completely purged with the incoming adminstration

https://mobile.twitter.com/4everNeverTrump/status/1284171760447840257