Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

xpost from the cspam thread

so trying the trip to port knot city i got taken by ghosts in the mountains and lost my bike and cargo, so had to start over. any advice for that trip? should i leave my bike behind because it's so rocky? try to follow the river? or maybe just throw some blood grenades at the BTs themselves before they get a chance to take me into the ghost lake? they're easier to take down than the squid whale thing right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Frog Act posted:

so trying the trip to port knot city i got taken by ghosts in the mountains and lost my bike and cargo, so had to start over. any advice for that trip? should i leave my bike behind because it's so rocky? try to follow the river? or maybe just throw some blood grenades at the BTs themselves before they get a chance to take me into the ghost lake? they're easier to take down than the squid whale thing right

Hematic grenades are effectively silenced weapons so you can take down any number of BTs without alerting them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Hematic grenades are effectively silenced weapons so you can take down any number of BTs without alerting them.

oh cool. I just tried to drive my silly tricycle through them and then they sucked me into the tar and i got attacked by a squid which seemed resistant to my grenades. i'll try dismounting my bike at the bottom of the area and sneaking up on the BTs and clearing them out. thanks!

if i pull blood bags from the share locker are those full and thus replenish grenades or is it just another empty bag to put my blood in? also, if my BB gets autotoxemic, does that have a permanent negative effect of any kind or is it just until I get to my private room again?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Blood bags do not replenish your grenades but they do keep your health up so you won't die from using too much blood.

But yes, blood bags you take from storages are full / partially full (unless it says empty on the description).

Empty blood bags are just trash that you discard or recycle.

You still need to stock up on lots of grenades in addition to blood bags.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shinmera posted:

Today I tried to bypass the BT area before port knot by scaling a really steep cliff. I discovered two things: 1. Sam is incredibly good at climbing, and 2. the game unfortunately places invisible walls around the mountain that prevent you from climbing it. That was a bummer

Funny thing about those specific invisible walls is that they're one-way, once you're through the pass you can get up there just fine from the other side. I'm sure they're only there to keep the player from circumventing the whole area just by bringing 10 ladders or whathaveyou.

edit: Also you teeeeechnically don't have to bring along any blood bags, munching on cryptobiotes refills your health and you can carry a crap ton of the little guys. However, when you have a blood bag equipped the game will use blood from the bag first before touching Sam's health, that way you don't have to hurt yourself to sling grenades. Sam losing blood is something you wanna avoid entirely if possible, when you start getting low his stamina drains way faster and hard knocks or spills are liable to make him fall unconscious.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 18, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Word thanks for the tips! I’ll make sure my bags are full and keep one equipped when I go to throw my grenades. I hope five is enough

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m not quite getting it - I throw grenades at em and they get all ghost buster sucked into a blood thing and turn red and visible, but then when I try to get past them they suck me into the ground anyway? Do I have to throw a few to fully disperse them? I have five full blood bags and ten grenades I think

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I’m not quite getting it - I throw grenades at em and they get all ghost buster sucked into a blood thing and turn red and visible, but then when I try to get past them they suck me into the ground anyway? Do I have to throw a few to fully disperse them? I have five full blood bags and ten grenades I think

It takes a couple of hits to dispel them. They will very obviously die when you’ve hit them enough.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Midjack posted:

It takes a couple of hits to dispel them. They will very obviously die when you’ve hit them enough.

Okay, I’ll try again, three times now I’ve gotten sucked into the ghost and BB has gone autotoxenic

It seems the lesser grenades just make them move a little ways away?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Correct, the No. 1 and 2 grenades don't damage BTs, No. 1 causes them to flee and No. 2 attracts them to wherever it lands. Only blood grenades kill them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

In general are the no 1 grenades sufficient to clear an area to pass through? Like the rocky pass en route to the port knot

Also if you damage the bike how do you fix it?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Frog Act posted:

Okay, I’ll try again, three times now I’ve gotten sucked into the ghost and BB has gone autotoxenic

It seems the lesser grenades just make them move a little ways away?

Turn your difficulty down and it'll only take 1 hematic grenade to kill them

Frog Act posted:

In general are the no 1 grenades sufficient to clear an area to pass through? Like the rocky pass en route to the port knot

The 1 and 2 grenades are useless IMO. I'd stick with hematics.

You can fix your bike by returning it to a garage (park on the circle elevator thing) but only after you are given the plans to make them.

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 18, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Turn your difficulty down and it'll only take 1 hematic grenade to kill them

Cool, I have no compunctions about playing on easy or very easy, I like challenging games sometimes but I’m not in Souls mode when playing this, more thinking about infrastructure mode so I’m into trivializing the combat

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Frog Act posted:

You can use whatever you feel comfortable with, really. No. 1 grenades don't get rid of the BT but it also doesn't care about you while it's fleeing from the Reedus Piss Cloud so they're totally viable. To repair a vehicle, drive it into a main distro center or waystation and send it to storage on the elevator platform (or go to the private room with it on the platform). When you retrieve it, it'll be back at 100% condition.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 18, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

By mid-game or even earlier vehicles from other players were abundant enough that they were essentially disposable.

Except this one dude's Akira motorbike. I used that one for a while and I felt a sense of loss losing it in the chasms by the Collector. I couldn't recreate it since you have to earn the various custom colours.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You can use whatever you feel comfortable with, really. No. 1 grenades don't get rid of the BT but it also doesn't care about you while it's fleeing from the Reedus Piss Cloud so they're totally viable. To repair a vehicle, drive it into a main distro center or waystation and send it to storage on the elevator platform (or go to the private room with it on the platform). When you retrieve it, it'll be back at 100% condition.

Thanks! I made it through with a few piss and like ten blood grenades....guess I’m always gonna need to keep a good stock of hematic grenades on me when doing story missions going forward

Timefall damages containers over time right? Or was it that AND driving over an absolute assload of rocks?

Ed: also used blood bags you trash, but what about used hematic grenades?

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 18, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! I made it through with a few piss and like ten blood grenades....guess I’m always gonna need to keep a good stock of hematic grenades on me when doing story missions going forward

Timefall damages containers over time right? Or was it that AND driving over an absolute assload of rocks?

I went rolling out with a couple of full boxes of hematic grenades in the early game, though you will probably refine your approach as more tools unlock and you get better at the game. Timefall was probably the main killer of packages, you don’t really bang them up on terrain unless you totally eat poo poo and the tape on the box starts flashing to indicate damage.

And yeah, hard difficulty only affects getting LEGEND OF LEGENDS S ratings on deliveries and gameplay wise only affects BTs, MULES, and terrorists so you can actually game it a little by setting low difficulty for most of the fame and only cranking it high when farming for the achievement. If you do plan to get achievements set it to hard as early as you can manage so you don’t have to redo as many missions.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 18, 2020

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

When I played Death Stranding on PS4 (which I didn't finish), I mostly relied on the bola gun when I was taking on MULEs.

This time on the PC version, I'm attempting to stick to the strand as much as possible. Either sneaking up for chokes, or practicing my parry timing when they find me.

Next up: remembering to pick up the packages MULEs drop and use them as makeshift weapons.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Midjack posted:

I went rolling out with a couple of full boxes of hematic grenades in the early game, though you will probably refine your approach as more tools unlock and you get better at the game. Timefall was probably the main killer of packages, you don’t really bang them up on terrain unless you totally eat poo poo and the tape on the box starts flashing to indicate damage.

And yeah, hard difficulty only affects getting LEGEND OF LEGENDS S ratings on deliveries and gameplay wise only affects BTs, MULES, and terrorists so you can actually game it a little by setting low difficulty for most of the fame and only cranking it high when farming for the achievement. If you do plan to get achievements set it to hard as early as you can manage so you don’t have to redo as many missions.

Word thanks, I don’t care about achievements at all really, it’s nice to get them incidentally but I never seek them out or try to play games. As long as it doesn’t completely get rid of them (which it doesn’t seem to, Ive gotten a few on easy) it’s all good to me

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why did I buy this.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Frog Act posted:

Ed: also used blood bags you trash, but what about used hematic grenades?

Yeah timefall will damage the containers as well as falling on them or bashing MULES with them. You can repair them with container repair spray.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 90 days!
Been playing all morning. Hate the MULEs, not really into the BTs, but still having a great time. gimme peace mode hideo you coward

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Pawn 17 posted:

Yeah timefall will damage the containers as well as falling on them or bashing MULES with them. You can repair them with container repair spray.

Cool, I was wondering how that worked and it’s neat that there’s actually a good amount in each container. As the mechanics slowly reveal themselves im really digging the way it allows you to save space instead of needing (like I had been assuming) 3 of everything

Also if anyone else new is reading this don’t forget to check share lockers, I just got fifteen free hematic grenades from the port one.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I keep raiding share lockers to add materials to road construction projects

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

I keep raiding share lockers to add materials to road construction projects

That works well, as do MULE and terrorist camps. There are a couple of recurring missions to restock metal and ceramics at some cities and distribution centers so don’t be too shy about pulling from their stocks either.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Frog Act posted:

If you do turn down the difficulty, when you get caught the big BT squid/lion catchers go down with 3-4 blood grenades. It also completely clears out the area of BTs for a while. So on the easy difficulties, it's a more viable strategy to offload what you're carrying (except for blood bags and blood weapons), get caught by BTs, and then kill the big catcher.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Codependent Poster posted:

If you do turn down the difficulty, when you get caught the big BT squid/lion catchers go down with 3-4 blood grenades. It also completely clears out the area of BTs for a while. So on the easy difficulties, it's a more viable strategy to offload what you're carrying (except for blood bags and blood weapons), get caught by BTs, and then kill the big catcher.

I'm guessing that's the best way to link up port knot city with ziplines? It seems that, no matter what, you have to go through that BT zone through the mountain pass in order to get to it.

IIIRC it was the only place i never connected up to my zipline network because of how much of a faff it was.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Geez, when is the right "time" to deliver lost cargo? They introduced the mechanic when I was on my way to the first waystation, right? They also introduced the mailbox thingy for you to drop off stuff for a reduced payout (yikes, just realized I implicitly viewed the likes as a payout/currency lol[no, to be fair they totally put that poo poo on the score screen for missions and it has game utility]). There was like a ton of lost packages right outside the capital knot city and so close without any hazardous terrain or ghosts... why not just turn around right then and do it, so I did, but when I finished my true delivery goal it shows me walking back and forth as my route when i was really just cleaning up those lost deliveries.

Plus, I went over this mountain bit, collected a ton more lost deliveries (all to capital) and saw even more I didn't or couldn't nab. I offloaded my main mission thing. Before starting the next mission thing, I figured I'd just hand deliver the crap I had, pick up another couple on the way back too. But when I started trekking back, most of the packages were actually for the waystation right behind me, but I was nearly full already so I reasoned I'd get those on the way back...back. However, I struggled getting up and over the mountain and got caught in a timefall that wouldn't let up and I couldn't find a big enough cliff to hide under. Then when trying to get a ladder to plant anywhere, I start getting notifications of various packages rotting up.

At that point idk how long timefall will last and if it's even worth hand delivering if it'll just be destroyed en route. Should I just have done the "entrust" thing with my load and used my empty inventory to clean up waystation lost deliveries scattered about for the full reward since it's so close anyway?

I like the game so far a bunch, the one ghost segment was very fun/stressful, one point thought I was safe to breathe and run but I was very much not and I only barely survived the pirates of dark water poo poo. IMO these guys should leave me the hell alone, I'm a mailman give me a break, keep your drama in the shadow realm.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Game is absolutely gorgeous, even though I just have an i5 processor and a 1070 card. There's some slowdown during cutscenes (about the same quality as the console version), but in-game is super smooth so far.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Geez, when is the right "time" to deliver lost cargo? They introduced the mechanic when I was on my way to the first waystation, right? They also introduced the mailbox thingy for you to drop off stuff for a reduced payout (yikes, just realized I implicitly viewed the likes as a payout/currency lol[no, to be fair they totally put that poo poo on the score screen for missions and it has game utility]). There was like a ton of lost packages right outside the capital knot city and so close without any hazardous terrain or ghosts... why not just turn around right then and do it, so I did, but when I finished my true delivery goal it shows me walking back and forth as my route when i was really just cleaning up those lost deliveries.

Plus, I went over this mountain bit, collected a ton more lost deliveries (all to capital) and saw even more I didn't or couldn't nab. I offloaded my main mission thing. Before starting the next mission thing, I figured I'd just hand deliver the crap I had, pick up another couple on the way back too. But when I started trekking back, most of the packages were actually for the waystation right behind me, but I was nearly full already so I reasoned I'd get those on the way back...back. However, I struggled getting up and over the mountain and got caught in a timefall that wouldn't let up and I couldn't find a big enough cliff to hide under. Then when trying to get a ladder to plant anywhere, I start getting notifications of various packages rotting up.

At that point idk how long timefall will last and if it's even worth hand delivering if it'll just be destroyed en route. Should I just have done the "entrust" thing with my load and used my empty inventory to clean up waystation lost deliveries scattered about for the full reward since it's so close anyway?

I like the game so far a bunch, the one ghost segment was very fun/stressful, one point thought I was safe to breathe and run but I was very much not and I only barely survived the pirates of dark water poo poo. IMO these guys should leave me the hell alone, I'm a mailman give me a break, keep your drama in the shadow realm.

You can't deliver all the lost cargo you encounter, there's just too much and it never ends. I grabbed all the stuff that was right in my path and if it was where I was going at the moment, I'd hang onto it and deliver it myself. If it wasn't where I was heading at the moment, I'd entrust it at the first shared locker I encountered regardless of it being a mailbox, DC, shelter, or city. If it was for a shelter I hadn't yet opened I'd go find that shelter immediately if I didn't already have a goal at the time; if I did I'd hang onto it until I finished my present task unless that task was hazardous. Otherwise, I ignored them unless they were resources I currently needed; metals and ceramics were the two I was in chronic need of for most of my game. Resins were always plentiful and crystals were plentiful for all but a few crunch times.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Important thing to note regarding package damage: each package actually has two types of "health", one for the container, and the other for the goods themselves. Damage to the container does nothing on its own - you can deliver a package with a 100% destroyed container and receive no penalties - but when you do something that does damage the actual goods (eg tripping over a rock and dumping all your cargo on the ground) they'll take more damage if the container is more damaged. Timefall only damages the container, so it's actually no problem if you stand around in the rain for hours and have 100% container damage, as long as you're very careful not to trip and damage the actual cargo because it'll get destroyed very easily in that state.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So uh someone built a bridge right on top of the lambda quest companion cube, I guess I have no choice but to dismantle it?

Ed: it’s a good bridge, really

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I love that part of the story is people went crazy because they couldn't get 'likes' on social media anymore and now they are desperate for oxytocin needing smart drugs or becoming MULEs.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
ok gently caress it i'm in.

just played as norman reedus taking a dump while i watched an ad for an amc show starring norman reedus, on the bathroom stall in the video game starring norman reedus

feeling good about my decision so far.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ok gently caress it i'm in.

just played as norman reedus taking a dump while i watched an ad for an amc show starring norman reedus, on the bathroom stall in the video game starring norman reedus

feeling good about my decision so far.

If you like that wait until you hear what Sam says when you get the bike.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

based on the number of grenades some people are posting that they're using to kill stuff i feel like maybe y'all don't realize but the hemetic grenades are actually dot based damage. if you throw two grenades at something immediately it is 100% wasted

once you get a firearm firing bullets through the blood cloud deals full damage to BTs, so blood bullets actually kind of suck, whereas lethal ammo + one grenade absolutely rips poo poo

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
It's also worth pointing out to new players that blood grenades and the hematic pistol have a 'charge' to them.

If you aim and hold r2 the grenade will suck blood from either you or your blood packs. The longer you hold r2 before releasing the more of a charge you give your grenades. More damage, bigger blood cloud, more blood spent. So watch your blood meter.

Console Role Player fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 19, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm in chapter five and kinda feeling like I want more plot before I sit down and pour 40 hours into carrying all the cargo to all the places, are there any destinations I should max out for life-changing QoL upgrades before I press onwards? I've already 5-starred the craftsman/elder/engineer and the weather station/timefall farm.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm in chapter five and kinda feeling like I want more plot before I sit down and pour 40 hours into carrying all the cargo to all the places, are there any destinations I should max out for life-changing QoL upgrades before I press onwards? I've already 5-starred the craftsman/elder/engineer and the weather station/timefall farm.

Roboticist is really the only must-have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Midjack posted:

Roboticist is really the only must-have.

this is no exaggeration, it's arguably the best item in the game. she gives you the all terrain skeleton, if you add a stabilizer to it you can go basically anywhere with very little effort while walking at full speed. seriously, try walking through the snow without either and put both on and have a little laugh

i know people tend to avoid the stabilizer because it takes up the ENTIRE back slot and doesn't appear to "do much" but the way it works on your balance significantly lowers stamina usage in any kind of non-flat terrain, plus i don't think the game communicates it well but the stabilizer sort of has a half a battery pack or so of extra energy too. i think it's one of the most overlooked items in the game. i also think maybe kojima did stuff like make the oxygen mask and stabilizer a lot better than they sound to reward players who try stuff out and pay attention