Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My 2019 car has a slow leak near the tire sidewall so I need a new tire. It has 17k miles on the factory original tires, they are rated for 70k miles.
Can I just buy a single tire and be fine? Do I need to have someone check the treads first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

FCKGW posted:

My 2019 car has a slow leak near the tire sidewall so I need a new tire. It has 17k miles on the factory original tires, they are rated for 70k miles.
Can I just buy a single tire and be fine? Do I need to have someone check the treads first?

What type of car? Is it AWD?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

What type of car? Is it AWD?

FWD Hyundai Kona CUV. I can get the exact same model from America's Tire.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'd measure the tread depth difference, if it's more than 1/8" I'd probably replace the pair (same axle).

Others may have a different opinion.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

FCKGW posted:

Do I need to have someone check the treads first?

You xan buy your own tread depth gauge for a few bux btw

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
ye olde ram van: took a long, slow downhill with lots of braking; at the bottom, it started pulling left a little. Braking corrected the pull. When I stopped, left front wheel was pretty toasty and I could hear fluid noises/stuff settling. No fluid leaking anywhere that I can see. currently sitting waiting for things to cool off; am I likely to have damaged anything, or just gotten the fluid too hot for a bit?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

This is not going to be a helpful reply, but my observation is that in the last 20 years or so buying "parts for parts" to do rebuilds is somewhere between impossible and more expensive than a reman. It's really depressing.

I was going to rebuild a starter a few years ago and couldn't find the parts. My very nice local starter and alternator rebuild shop (I know how luck I am to have one of those) we willing to sell them to me - they have to buy them in quantity they said....there are no individuals which is why they will turn down certain rebuilds of weird stuff. They don't want to buy a couple boxes of 20 or 50 of some part they will likely never use again.

You already try aspwholesale.com? They are my go to for all that stuff. No brake caliper rebuild parts though.

As for the head bolt issue, Jesus reading that gave me PTSD. One of two things is going on. One, you're about to break the bolt. Two, you're about to pull the threads out of the block. I would sincerely hope for the former if you're already buying new bolts but if you're like me and finish loving it up before deciding what to do, second option is definitely better because it just means it's easier to drill out for helicoils or timeserts :haw:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

You already try aspwholesale.com? They are my go to for all that stuff. No brake caliper rebuild parts though.

You told me about that (a year or two) ago and I've yet to need to rebuild something since. It's bookmarked and thank you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How the hell do I get an axle nut loose when the CV joint has detached? If the boot was torn and I was replacing it because it had started clicking, that would be one thing, but there's just no resistance on it, even when I've got the car in first gear. The axle is just spinning freely.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Have someone hold the brake while you turn it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Use an impact wrench and hold it with the other hand or channel locks or a pipe wrench. Depending on if you want to reuse it or not.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Find a screwdriver you don't care about. Jam it into one of the vents on the rotor between the caliper and bracket. If there's not enough room, jam it just below the caliper bracket (you said driver's side, right?).

Works best if you have a couple of screwdrivers, you might break a couple if the bolt doesn't want to break loose. Remember to use a punch to hammer out the dimple on the nut.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
E: ^^^^^^ Yeah, unstaking the nut will make it easier too..

Depending on the kind of wheel (most likely only on steel wheels) you might be able to put it back on, car on ground, chock wheels and then uncrank that bitch.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 18, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Putting a giant brick on the brake pedal worked, thankfully. I unstaked the nut as much as I could first, too. I kind of had a brain fart on the fact that the splines on the outboard side mean the disk wants to spin too.

Got the stupid pin lined up, but turns out I need long punches and I have no idea where they went in the six years since I used them, so I'm back at Harbor freight again. After I get the pin out I might take a break until the evening because it's already 90 degrees.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Can anyone recommend a decent r134a manifold gauge set? I'm just getting hot air out of my 2011 honda fit. The ones on amazon look like they're mostly cheap pieces of poo poo and all the hoses are meant for multiple refrigerants so you need an adapter to put the quick disconnect end on. I'd prefer not to cheap out for something that could seriously injure me

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I use the Harbor Freight one, it was under $75. No problems in four years and multiple jobs; comes with its own case & everything.

e: this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/ac-r134a-manifold-gauge-set-62707.html

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
LOWERING HEIGHT QUESTION.

I'm finally getting around to lowering my Mazda 2. The only question is how much drop? Going with the Corksport kit I'll lower 1.5 inches in front and 2 in the back. Megan will give me 1.25 inches in the front and 1 in the back. My inclination is to go with the Megan kit because this is still a car that needs to get around Vegas every day, but I've got other Corksport stuff on my car and I believe in their quality.

Thoughts?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If it's your daily, get the higher (lol) lowering springs, imo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have my Mazda 3 lowered just a little and it's annoying on a car with low body work, side sills, etc.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

I use the Harbor Freight one, it was under $75. No problems in four years and multiple jobs; comes with its own case & everything.

e: this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/ac-r134a-manifold-gauge-set-62707.html

Thanks, that should do it

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
As i mentioned earlier in the thread, I got an allegedly leaky (according to the dealer) rear shock on my civic Si, which is a buddy club n+ coilovers (although on the civic the spring and the shock are separate in the rear). How can I know how bad it is? I don’t think it’s been making any noises. How would that affect handling?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Megan springs it is. Thanks!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Head Bee Guy posted:

As i mentioned earlier in the thread, I got an allegedly leaky (according to the dealer) rear shock on my civic Si, which is a buddy club n+ coilovers (although on the civic the spring and the shock are separate in the rear). How can I know how bad it is? I don’t think it’s been making any noises. How would that affect handling?

If the shock is blown you are only using the spring to control the suspension on that corner of the car. If removing the shock isn't difficult you can pull the shock and examine it/try to compress it by hand. If you can push the piston into the shock body, it'll be blown. If getting the shock serviced is a pain, I'd replace it with a Koni adjustable since they're readily available and separate from the spring in the back.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PainterofCrap posted:

I have the same ones. Google Harbor Freight 20% off coupon first, they can scan it off your phone when you're checking out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If my car seems to get slightly bogged down when starting, (75k miles) that’s probably a sign that the battery is starting to go, right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

If my car seems to get slightly bogged down when starting, (75k miles) that’s probably a sign that the battery is starting to go, right?

For batteries the mileage isn't as important as the age is and the conditions they've been in.

How old is it? What climate do you live in?

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 19, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

spankmeister posted:

For batteries the mileage isn't as important as the age is and the conditions they've been in.

How old is it? What climate do you live in?

5 years old, Philadelphia. So 4 true seasons and it’s hot as balls today.
It’s definitely a dead battery. It is getting worse with each start id be surprised to get one more.
However I guess it could be a bad alternator.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

5 years old, Philadelphia. So 4 true seasons and it’s hot as balls today.
It’s definitely a dead battery. It is getting worse with each start id be surprised to get one more.
However I guess it could be a bad alternator.

5 years is about all you can expect. Swap it now before it takes out the alternator (and test that the alternator is still in fact working after swapping).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, batteries fail way more often than alternators. I would do nothing more than a quick voltmeter check to confirm 14V when running after putting a new battery in it.

Also the main thing you pay for with a battery is the warranty. Physically they're mostly the same so pick the store you would want to deal with again if it dies too soon.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Installing an axleback exhaust doesn’t change the performance, correct? Looking to make my car sound a little deeper, but I don’t want to adjust the tune or appreciably affect the airflow

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Replacing an axleback should make no difference in terms of flow, since almost all of that is dictated by the manifold and first cat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It could also be a bad starter but check the battery first, they can load test it at the parts store.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm going to help a friend fix up and sell his 06 Altima daily driver and I'm fairly sure it's been sitting long enough that the gas is probably not great or bad

any suggestions about a fuel additive to deal with it? I don't want to drain the tank.

he said it was misfiring a bunch and threw a CEL the last time he drove it, parked it when he got home and now the battery is dead.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Would trying to modify a 1.4litre engine to get a bit more power out of it be a stupid idea?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Real Amethyst posted:

Would trying to modify a 1.4litre engine to get a bit more power out of it be a stupid idea?
Depends on what the color is

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Charles posted:

Depends on what the color is

2016 euro civic 1.4L i-vtec 104HP petrol.

I mean red.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm going to help a friend fix up and sell his 06 Altima daily driver and I'm fairly sure it's been sitting long enough that the gas is probably not great or bad

any suggestions about a fuel additive to deal with it? I don't want to drain the tank.

he said it was misfiring a bunch and threw a CEL the last time he drove it, parked it when he got home and now the battery is dead.

How long has it been sitting?

Fuel additive will only prevent it from going bad, it's not going to reverse it.

How full is the tank? If its less than half you could probably top it up to dilute it enough to get away with it. Otherwise you're draining it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Real Amethyst posted:

2016 euro civic 1.4L i-vtec 104HP petrol.

I mean red.

What are your proposed modifications? Modern engines don't really have a lot of power to give, unless maybe you want to turbo it? It's a tiny little engine (apparently it's actually 1.3L? -- Wikipedia seems to think it's an L series) squeezing out a decent amount of power.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
How much do you know about modifying cars? I work in the auto industry with powertrain engineers and, yeah, you're not going to get enough from a 1.4L without putting a turbo on it. And that is not a small subject for someone that's the kind of person so ask whether or not it's worth modifying a 1.4L engine for extra power on an internet forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

opengl128 posted:

How long has it been sitting?

Fuel additive will only prevent it from going bad, it's not going to reverse it.

How full is the tank? If its less than half you could probably top it up to dilute it enough to get away with it. Otherwise you're draining it.

probably filled in March? it's probably less than half a tank.

maybe I can limp it to the gas station once I can get it started again, I was hoping to avoid buying a gas can.