Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

chaosapiant posted:

Just got my Arkham Omnibus in the mail today. This thing is huge, considerably larger than either the Morrison or Knightfall Omnibussessese I have.

Let us know how it is. I don’t know if many people bothered with those books when they came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheHan posted:

I like how fast Doc Manhattan went from a reality shattering presence in the DC Universe to Green Lantern Ring+
Also hate how they can't understand how the gently caress his powers work, apparently.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doctor Manhattan warped reality and made all these changes!

Also lol he got wrecked by this other villain off panel

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Codependent Poster posted:

What are the odds that it all ends up being written off as a simulation Doc had created in a snow globe?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

It's what he deserves

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Father Wendigo posted:

What are the odds that it all ends up being written off as a simulation Doc had created in a snow globe?

I can’t see that happening since retcons like that are usually reserved for characters they give a poo poo about.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
You wait, one day it'll be revealed DC's history warping and various crises is really Hal Jordan screwing around with realities to make his ideal reality.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

I am so beyond tired of every DC story having to be a meta narrative about comic book continuity with a splash page of iconic moments and a character going "It's all missing?"

Maybe that's why I enjoy Tom Taylor's stuff so much as it's been all messing around in a corner of DC only he plays in yet remains extremely faithful. (Also Suicide Squad, where at least Harley has yet to break the fourth wall.)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Just to be clear, Wally West has the Doctor Manhattan from Watchmen and Doomsday Clock's powers because Doc squirted them into Metron's chair when he murdered Metron at the end of the Darkseid War.

I guess that was only *some* DM power because obviously he kept enough to do Doomsday Clock, and then at the end of Doomsday Clock transfered his powers into a new Clark Kent who would exist on the Watchmen Earth because every universe needs a Superman.

Wally West used his DM powers to supercharge the Justice League (off-panel) at the end of Scott Snyder's Justice League; there are two opposing Groups of Forces in the DC Universe, "Connective Energies" (the Speed Force, Green Lantern Rings, Doctor Manhattan Powers) and "Crisis Energies" (I dunno, the bad stuff? The Still Force, maybe Black Lantern rings, the Anti-Monitor's Shadow Demons?) that fight each other and the Justice League's Good Vibes were not as powerful as Perpetua/The Legion of Doom's Bad Vibes and so everything blew up and broke and that's how you get Death Metal.

Wally still has some portion of his partial DM powers but I guess he used up some unstated amount of them off panel before Death Metal started.

Also before Death Metal started The Batman Who Laughs killed not Jon Osterman Doctor Manhattan, but Bruce Wayne Doctor Bathattan, who was a Batman with DM powers from an unspecified universe. Then he cut out Bathattan's brain and replaced it with his own (which I guess he had to wait to be murdered to be able to do) and that resurrected him and turned him into the Evil Bathattan Who Laughs or the Darkest Knight or whatever because I guess the "connective energies" forever fighting "Crisis energies" thing doesn't actually matter.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
A few weeks ago I re-read Blackest Night and even though I am in the minority of actually liking it, I was surprised(and annoyed) when I was reminded of just how many tie-ins and poo poo that event had.

All this is to say that Death Metal is dumb as poo poo but at least I can respect that it is sticking to its own book and not being some massive crossover that consumes other books.... at least for now.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

TwoPair posted:

A few weeks ago I re-read Blackest Night and even though I am in the minority of actually liking it, I was surprised(and annoyed) when I was reminded of just how many tie-ins and poo poo that event had.

It had a very clear B-movie schlock quality to the whole thing, as that was explicitly what they were aiming for, which is both a virtue and a flaw in the long run.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Schlock was fine but a lot of what they did was just gruesome or cruel so it's not exactly Return of the Living Dead poo poo.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Schlock was fine but a lot of what they did was just gruesome or cruel so it's not exactly Return of the Living Dead poo poo.

Oh, I agree some of those characters got unnecessarily cruel fates and not all of them came back. I still enjoyed it as a full story, but those parts left me slightly bitter during my first read too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, what they did to Firestorm's girlfriend was super gross.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yeah, what they did to Firestorm's girlfriend was super gross.

And Kyle Rayner's girlfriend that was a Black Lantern in a fridge was nice and classy too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jiro posted:

And Kyle Rayner's girlfriend that was a Black Lantern in a fridge was nice and classy too.

With the black lantern ring as a magnet

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:staredog:

Who wrote that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pete Tomasi.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

bobkatt013 posted:

With the black lantern ring as a magnet

Hahahaha. God, that era was dogshit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

First time anyone ever said that about Green Lantern Corps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Lantern related bullshit must be like cilantro and it's genetic if you like it. I like cilantro but have whatever gene that makes reading about the Green Lanterns taste like soap.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Tomasi's GLC is actually super good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Tomasi's GLC is actually super good.

This is me telling my friends about a particular recipe with cilantro.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 19, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Tomasi is one of the best side dishes in comics. Maybe a Johns or Morrison doesn’t suit your particular taste, but Tomasi will have a great side book for you to enjoy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is genuinely a funny page

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

First time anyone ever said that about Green Lantern Corps.

If Johns had immediately been moved onto another character/series as soon as he introduced the concept of an entire colour spectrum of corps it'd probably be remembered as one of the great modern runs.

The average quality drop off immediately following the end of the Sinestro Corps. War is staggering.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Green Lantern Corps was good when Tomassi wrote it. I remember when Soranik Natu was an interesting character and not evil just because she's Sinestro's daughter.

And actually being used.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I kind of dug the idea of Soranik having to become a Sinestro Corps. member because it's a nice way to give the Sinestro Corps. something to do aside from growl and hiss at people, but as with most things Lantern shaped for the past decade or more, just a bad story from top to bottom.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

I kind of dug the idea of Soranik having to become a Sinestro Corps. member because it's a nice way to give the Sinestro Corps. something to do aside from growl and hiss at people, but as with most things Lantern shaped for the past decade or more, just a bad story from top to bottom.

Then they tried the same thing with the Red Lantern Corps.

Meanwhile, the Blue Lantern Crops is basically nothing and barely a blip as they're killed off and the Indigo corps has fewer future appearances than the number of remaining Blue corps members.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dan Didio posted:

Soranik gets some neat moments in Hal Jordan and the GLC (Rebirth era). One of the more solid runs.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Space Fish posted:

Soranik gets some neat moments in Hal Jordan and the GLC (Rebirth era). One of the more solid runs.

Haven't read it yet. I have heard that run is pretty good though, at least if you can accept the premise.

My take is if you want Soranik to be interesting as a member of the Sinestro Corps, then you need to give her some conflict and, well, actually use her. But my impression is that was the last time anyone at DC remembered she existed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Then they tried the same thing with the Red Lantern Corps.

Meanwhile, the Blue Lantern Crops is basically nothing and barely a blip as they're killed off and the Indigo corps has fewer future appearances than the number of remaining Blue corps members.

I genuinely think there was a point where DC completely forgot the Indigo corps were meant to exist.

Also, despite my own self interest, I kind of liked that period where angry teenager Supergirl became a Red Lantern and had to work through her issues. That was another kind of neat idea that didn't really ever reach it's full potential.

They should do more stuff like Injustice 2 did with Atrocitus; just have him show up, yell at everyone and then vanish just as quickly when they tell him to gently caress off and grow up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dex-Starr is the only lantern I give a poo poo about

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I like Green Man.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Green Lantern Corps was good when Tomassi wrote it. I remember when Soranik Natu was an interesting character and not evil just because she's Sinestro's daughter.

And actually being used.

Agreed, I just thought in general Blackest Night was a garbage event. The side stuff in Sinestro War was real good by Tomasi, especially the issue devoted to the return of SBP and Sodam Yat vs SBP. And I'm probably the biggest Tomasi and Gleason around. They also made the whole Joker cut his face off in Batman real super gross in Batman and Robin as it should have been.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sorianik, you have the capacity to instill Great Fear--

:confuoot: Wait, why?

Oh. uh.... well... you know... daughter of a rogue Corps member. Not a lot of people are partial to the name Sinestr--

:confuoot: That's kind of hosed up dude.

hey it's not my fault you're like Space Mussolini's daughter

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like Tomasi and Gleason but I thought the fridge page was pretty gross for a not particularly funny payoff. On the other hand, the main Blue Lantern looking like a Mr. Met spermatazoon was also pretty gross but, to me, extremely funny.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the absurdity of still being trapped in the fridge is what does it for me.

It's a gruesome joke in the context of how women are generally treated in comics, but I can't help but laugh at it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I just accidentally read Multiversity from Pax Americana on and now I'm upset that Multiversity Too is still a no-show.

Where's my Sunshine Superman series DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Multiversity Too is my Seaguy Eternal.