Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think it's been mentioned that lights eat up way more system resources than they're worth? Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think it's been mentioned that lights eat up way more system resources than they're worth? Something like that.

I can understand that they'd be resource intensive but I feel like they'd absolutely be worth it. Trainyards at night are one of the most beautiful things in the world to me.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

Trainyards at night are one of the most beautiful things in the world to me.

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHwkfhwjsk

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY

Der Kyhe posted:

Right now its a feature to come; the current design indicates that the lights also act as extensions to the electric grid.

Early access is...early

Just to throw my two cents in on the blueprints or not debate; have a pic

https://imgur.com/VmtJXjK

That's a crude oil into fuel plant. 19 refineries, 3 water pumps and a sink for by products on a 10 X 16 platform. It pumps out a full pipe of 300 per minute fuel.

It only takes one normal oil node with a normal pump to supply it, not a pure node and not an overclocked pump. It took me an entire evening play session to make just this, I had my fun doing it, having a real (for a videogame) result to a few hours of concentration and effort is rewarding. But there is a lot of nodes in this area, many of them pure (pure means double output) and I really dont want to build this again, put down all the splitters and mergers and redo all the pipes and joins and reset all the machine recipes. At this stage the challenge I expect from this kind of game is in connecting functional modules together, that I have designed, in efficient ways.

Just let me define a box with X, Y and Z size and make a ghost copy of its contents and blueprint it, that I can just spray components at until it all becomes a real in game object.

Not to diss this fabulous time waster, but this is just factorio in 3D and it needs blueprints.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not an expert but I thought that UE4 was a deferred renderer and that those could have a billion lights (not shadow casters) without much impact. Not that it matters with regards to timing in development.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

PHOOsun posted:

Early access is...early

That's a crude oil into fuel plant. 19 refineries, 3 water pumps and a sink for by products on a 10 X 16 platform. It pumps out a full pipe of 300 per minute fuel.

It only takes one normal oil node with a normal pump to supply it, not a pure node and not an overclocked pump. It took me an entire evening play session to make just this, I had my fun doing it, having a real (for a videogame) result to a few hours of concentration and effort is rewarding. But there is a lot of nodes in this area, many of them pure (pure means double output) and I really dont want to build this again, put down all the splitters and mergers and redo all the pipes and joins and reset all the machine recipes. At this stage the challenge I expect from this kind of game is in connecting functional modules together, that I have designed, in efficient ways.

Just let me define a box with X, Y and Z size and make a ghost copy of its contents and blueprint it, that I can just spray components at until it all becomes a real in game object.

Not to diss this fabulous time waster, but this is just factorio in 3D and it needs blueprints.

The area actions mod basically does what you're asking for, albeit it in a somewhat janky way. It'd be great to see a cleaner version of blueprints in vanilla, but if you don't want to lovingly handcraft hundreds of coal burners and pipes then it can be a lifesaver.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This seems unhealthy

I see I'm not the only one who just builds giant platforms out off of cliffs for convenience.

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

DarthRoblox posted:

The area actions mod basically does what you're asking for, albeit it in a somewhat janky way. It'd be great to see a cleaner version of blueprints in vanilla, but if you don't want to lovingly handcraft hundreds of coal burners and pipes then it can be a lifesaver.

That's almost exactly what I want, I'll give it a few more revisions before trying it out, let it get a bit more stable and feature complete.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

I spent my entire sunday morning and part of an afternoon making this Turbofuel factory. This is running in (near) perfect ratios off a single 300 m3/s oil field. My small experimental plastic/rubber/fuel/packaged fuel factory (before I unlocked all the alt recipes this requires) is in the background. I still need to import about 630/min of compacted coal, that will eventually come in via train... somewhere. There's a sink on the one side of the Heavy Oil Residue refineries to sink the Polymer resin to keep it all running.

The nice part is once I generate enough plastic containers, it will self-sustain. I built in the ability to add more by throwing them into an industrial container along the lines between the unpackaged fuel and Packaged water lines (Can't see them in the screenshot). I could have technically saved a whole water pump since there's 7 on each side and you need 1 pump for 2 packaged water, but I was lazy and didn't build high enough to miss the arch which is between the fuel and turbofuel production parts, and had laid enough that I didn't want to restart the whole process, since without the arch in the way I simply would have made one set of 3 lines of refineries at 14 long instead of six total lines of 7.

The fuel generation portion makes three full 300m3/s lines, each one of which feeds a full 14 Turbo Fuel refineries. Each set of 14 gives enough to power 58 fuel generators at full tilt, for a whopping ~175 fuel generators to (eventually) be powered off this monstrosity.

I hadn't calculated that last part until just now so I'm sure I made a mistake somewhere, but what the gently caress? That's insane. Is that 26,250 MW? Did I gently caress up my math?

This production facility is finally complete. I had to have a train bring in the compacted coal from offsite.

Just under 28 GW total production all on turbofuel. I have 3 sets of 8 coal generators providing my initial power.

I thought the 3 lines of 14 refineries to make the turbofuel was silly, the 3 rowsets of 50 fuel generators to use all that fuel (even if my factory doesn't even use 1/10th of the power) was ridiculous.

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

This production facility is finally complete. I had to have a train bring in the compacted coal from offsite.

Just under 28 GW total production all on turbofuel. I have 3 sets of 8 coal generators providing my initial power.

I thought the 3 lines of 14 refineries to make the turbofuel was silly, the 3 rowsets of 50 fuel generators to use all that fuel (even if my factory doesn't even use 1/10th of the power) was ridiculous.

:discourse:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

PHOOsun posted:

Early access is...early

tbh power in general could probably stand to be shrunken down

there is no real reason other then to make a sprawl and busy work that there needs to be that many different iterations of the same building to have the same effect, particularly in the case of coal where it's literally just shoving two base resources of water/coal into the building

just make one super power plant or one that scales like crazy, scream

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Now that i look at this again, I am going to delete the short set of 12 and add another 4 sets of 2 to the end of the lines which have 50 to get me up to a proper number of 58 which i calculated earlier.

Then I can feel comfortable building more centralized factory components. The interactive map breaks down my power usage like this:
Maximum available power: 27,920MW
Power currently generated: 1,963MW
Power used at maximum production 7,639MW

Only 20GW spare capacity? Pfft!

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

Now that i look at this again, I am going to delete the short set of 12 and add another 4 sets of 2 to the end of the lines which have 50 to get me up to a proper number of 58 which i calculated earlier.

Then I can feel comfortable building more centralized factory components. The interactive map breaks down my power usage like this:
Maximum available power: 27,920MW
Power currently generated: 1,963MW
Power used at maximum production 7,639MW

Only 20GW spare capacity? Pfft!

I think I'm building under 1/3 the capacity you got going on, and it's still going to be enough looking at pipes and refiners for a while, and back to going "time to rebuild my steel lines"

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
I can live without blueprints. But aligning splitter(s) and a merger for each and every machine input/output is what takes too long to me. Either let me attach splitters and mergers directly to machines or rejigger machines so they have pass-throughs built in and can be placed directly on a belt.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 16, 2020

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I just want a beacon-like item I can place, and a grenade launcher that spawns a copy of every building within 50m of that beacon, wherever the grenade lands.

I want to hold my space bar for 30 seconds to craft that grenade. And I want to craft 100 of them and fire them in random directions while I am flying across the continent from my hypertube launch system.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

There's a lights mod. Now that the mod manager also supports the steam version, no reason not to use it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Does anyone actually use the pure iron and pure copper alternate recipes? The ones that add water to the ore to basically double the ingot production?

They seem like they'd be a pain to setup.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LLSix posted:

Does anyone actually use the pure iron and pure copper alternate recipes? The ones that add water to the ore to basically double the ingot production?

They seem like they'd be a pain to setup.

Yes and...not really? Insert Tab Fu/Cu/Au/Si into Slot A, and Tab H2O into Slot B.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yes and...not really? Insert Tab Fu/Cu/Au/Si into Slot A, and Tab H2O into Slot B.

Mostly I was thinking about the difficulty of finding a suitable source of water near enough flat land. I guess I could ship all my ore out to the ocean and then ship the ingots back. I expect needing 23 Refineries per miner to add up to a lot of space quickly.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

LLSix posted:

Mostly I was thinking about the difficulty of finding a suitable source of water near enough flat land. I guess I could ship all my ore out to the ocean and then ship the ingots back. I expect needing 23 Refineries per miner to add up to a lot of space quickly.

When things require water I always just have water extractors on the first floor and production on the second. Extractors over 10 meters tall so it requires a pump to boost the head pressure, but one pump per two extractors is a pretty negligeble energy cost compared to everything else in the setup.

As you said the biggest issue is that patience for aligning pipes is a much bigger bottleneck than basic resource availability so inefficient simple setups are almost always better than efficient complicated ones.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il4rdK3v4gU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Dissapointingly, that rocketlauncher is from a mod. Still a pretty good model all told.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Yeah that video title/thumbnail is some serious clickbait bullshit.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

LLSix posted:

No. Well, they'll snap side-by-side, which makes increasing the width of a ramp relatively easy, but doesn't help climb in the first place. You have two options.

1) Buy the double ramps from the awesome shop. These do snap to each other.

2) Do what Ben Nerevarine said. Lay down a ramp, then lay down a flat foundation attached to the top. Lay down the next ramp on the flat piece. Going up is much, much easier than building a ramp going down.

Uh, a third option is to build a ladder using the lookout tower or the stackable conveyor platforms that have ladders on the side.

You can also stack ramps down from the top by laying one ramp backward underneath the upper one, giving you a flat surface to snap onto. It will then usually alternate back and forth between the two, letting you build a janky, physically impossible normal ramp down to where you want it. Cheaper and faster than switching between ramps and platforms.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Han Nehi posted:

Yeah that video title/thumbnail is some serious clickbait bullshit.

If you’ve watched any of his videos it isn’t, the rocket launcher in the mod used to look substantially worse

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sweeper posted:

If you’ve watched any of his videos it isn’t, the rocket launcher in the mod used to look substantially worse

It is blatant clickbait in that it strongly implies that it's an official addition into the game and not just a fan mod

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Bought this game during the steam summer sale, at first just to play multiplayer with a friend who has been playing for a while. I didn't think I'd get quite so into the game as I am, factorio for example isn't to my taste. I liked space engineers but mostly build spaceships in creative.

Turns out the game has *just* enough potential for creative aesthetics to keep my interest. Before getting the game I'd mostly seen pictures of flat factories-on-endless-concrete, which is deff my friend's style of build and one of the things that makes me uninterested in stuff like Factorio. Basically if there's no area to make things artistic I have fun planning but then the building part is just tedious. Now that I've got walls and stuff it's a ton of fun for me to try to build a factory that fits into a building.

So here's my first nice complex that's not just machines on foundations:

Produces heavy modular frames and crystal oscillators at full rate, and some versatile framework with the excess. I need to go back and add windows, we didn't have those unlocked when I started. And I ran out of paint. Where should I go to harvest lots of flowers?

(It's a fuckin mess on the inside, conveyors squiggling around wherever they have space, because for some reason trying to fit everything into as compact a space possible turns me on. I'd show screenshots, but in the upper building there's nowhere to stand where you can get a good perspective on the spaghetti.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Holy poo poo that's really cool. I doubt I'd have the patience to pull that off because while I like to make stuff compact, I really try to make "organized" so it ends up taking up a ton of space.

is that rightmost conveyor lift functional, or just aesthetic? It contributes and odd amount to giving the building the right vibe?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Fyi the walkway pieces fit ontop of the open truss foundation pieces well, you can cover up the quarters that you arent using for lifts. Plus the fencing pieces make it look almost OSHA compliant.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Klyith posted:

Bought this game during the steam summer sale, at first just to play multiplayer with a friend who has been playing for a while. I didn't think I'd get quite so into the game as I am, factorio for example isn't to my taste. I liked space engineers but mostly build spaceships in creative.

Turns out the game has *just* enough potential for creative aesthetics to keep my interest. Before getting the game I'd mostly seen pictures of flat factories-on-endless-concrete, which is deff my friend's style of build and one of the things that makes me uninterested in stuff like Factorio. Basically if there's no area to make things artistic I have fun planning but then the building part is just tedious. Now that I've got walls and stuff it's a ton of fun for me to try to build a factory that fits into a building.

So here's my first nice complex that's not just machines on foundations:

Produces heavy modular frames and crystal oscillators at full rate, and some versatile framework with the excess. I need to go back and add windows, we didn't have those unlocked when I started. And I ran out of paint. Where should I go to harvest lots of flowers?

(It's a fuckin mess on the inside, conveyors squiggling around wherever they have space, because for some reason trying to fit everything into as compact a space possible turns me on. I'd show screenshots, but in the upper building there's nowhere to stand where you can get a good perspective on the spaghetti.)

That looks really nice.

I would never do that to myself, but I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

Holy poo poo that's really cool. I doubt I'd have the patience to pull that off because while I like to make stuff compact, I really try to make "organized" so it ends up taking up a ton of space.

is that rightmost conveyor lift functional, or just aesthetic? It contributes and odd amount to giving the building the right vibe?

The small one on the side of the upper building? Yeah, it's dropping iron plates between 2 floors. I was very annoyed when I had to resort to it because the plan was for everything to be internal, but it was either that or do a bigger tear-out. I'm glad you think it contributes, probably the paint helps a lot with that. When the walls were orange I really didn't like it, now it ain't that bad.

And all 6 of the conveyors between the 2 buildings are functional, there are actually 4 on the further one. The piers dropping conveyors between the buildings was an accidental inspiration I had at the very start. At first I thought it might just be one big building sloping down the side of those cliffs. I started by laying out foundation pad on the upper flat area, then I wanted to keep the same grid on the lower area. So I extended some arms off the side of the cliff, pillared down, and laid out the bottom pad. Then I looked up and got the idea.

Also I'm using draw.io to puzzle together the basic arrangement of stuff and rough space requirements before I build. Here's the plan for the main floor of the upper building:

(what I thought was generous extra space got filled)

Nevets posted:

Fyi the walkway pieces fit ontop of the open truss foundation pieces well, you can cover up the quarters that you arent using for lifts. Plus the fencing pieces make it look almost OSHA compliant.
Oh, good idea. Or maybe the flat walkway and the separate fence pieces, those could wrap all the way around the stack.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Those buildings no-poo poo look like the first-slide conceptual render for a new light-industrial park being proposed for construction on the edges of a nature preserve.

Those kinds of aesthetics are for sure poo poo I like to see but never have the patience to complete, thus my enormous open-sided platform skyscrapers stretching from inland lakes up to the sky ~

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

yeah the external conveyors really tie it together and remind you that you're looking at a factory, looks great

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Think I'm gonna dive back into this, but with mods. I'm trying not to get anything particularly cheaty. Some signs, a working elevator, and the ability to have both bladerunners and the jetpack so far. Maybe construction kits.

Though the MoarFactory mod is awfully tempting, it adds an absolute shitload of doodads to make factories look good.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Is there a good way to look at stuff you might want to build? Like in Factorio, I can go through my crafting options and see everything I might want to consider automating, but in Satisfactory since I don't have everything drilled into my head it's really hard at any given point for me to think of what I might want to build infrastructure for.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Is there a good way to look at stuff you might want to build? Like in Factorio, I can go through my crafting options and see everything I might want to consider automating, but in Satisfactory since I don't have everything drilled into my head it's really hard at any given point for me to think of what I might want to build infrastructure for.

The equipment and crafting benches kind of provide this.

I've mostly been building my factory by picking something to build and then scaling production for that up.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

K8.0 posted:

DelphiAegis posted:

It does bear repeating, if you hit n, a small search box comes up where you can see any recipes (including alt recipes!) and add them to your to do list (similar to the workbench).. BUT it ALSO functions as a rudementary calculator for adding, dividing, multiplying and such. Even repescts parenthesis.

This menu is the only way I know of to put alt recipes on your to-do list for reference that I know of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Pressing x opens a menu where you can look at all the things you know how to make and all the recipes to make each one.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Is there a way to dismantle stuff that gets snapped underground? It seems like a pretty bad oversight that you can permanently gently caress yourself out of the ability to build the way you want in an area.

Honestly having so much trouble figuring out how you're supposed to build anything in this game in general. Everything seems such a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
You can edit your save file with the interactive map. Just load your save into it, make your changes, then press the 'Download Save" button and it'll give you a new file you can drop into the save folder. https://satisfactory-calculator.com/