Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If users will never have to interact with them why go to the trouble of W10ing them, though? Just leave the W7s there (which loving worked, at least)?

:shrug:

I really do make a good-faith effort to ask myself "Within their own context, how did they think this was going to be interacted with?" with most technology products. I get that design is hard (and that most UI/UX people are especially bad at it). But this poo poo is a loving mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes its a piece of poo poo operating system

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

If users will never have to interact with them why go to the trouble of W10ing them, though? Just leave the W7s there (which loving worked, at least)?

:shrug:

I really do make a good-faith effort to ask myself "Within their own context, how did they think this was going to be interacted with?" with most technology products. I get that design is hard (and that most UI/UX people are especially bad at it). But this poo poo is a loving mess.

there may be some confusion, i believe the assumption is that users don't need settings that haven't been moved to the modern ui settings panel. the settings that are in the panel are the ones people use, the rest are for the kind of grognards who should be forced to learn powershell. the legacy control panel is vestigial and probably only still exists because their 30 year legacy of cruft would melt down if they actually removed it. you're not supposed to use it though, and if they could keep you from opening it entirely they probably would

tl;dr:

pram posted:

yes its a piece of poo poo operating system

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

itshappening.gif

F33 System-Wide Change: Make btrfs the default file system for desktop variants

got approved today

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:toot:

Move fast and break things is appropriate for fedora core. The more this gets used, the faster that widespread support will be available.

I'm still not on board for filesystem level encryption, since block encryption (via luks) is an easier concept to test and wrap heads around when modeling for threats. But having encryption keys at the subvolume level (which I believe the current design is going for) can make for some nifty solutions. Maybe this is the successor to eCryptfs?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
btrfs is great apart from all these common use cases where it loving sucks

just use ext4. even xfs hasn't fixed their 2038 issues yet

reminder that we are literally closer to 2038 than we are to the release of windows xp

and windows xp is still very much around

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
bold of you to assume human civilization will survive until 2038 etc

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

modern xfs is extremely fast on nvme drives though. it's faster than ext4, never mind the much heavier btrfs, when it comes to typical desktop usage

e: there are patches floating around for dealing with the 2038 problem (there are reserved inode bits that can be appropriated to allow for a 40 bit timestamp, which is enough for another 30k+ years). seems that they just need to settle on a solution. idk why they didn't address this the last time they bumped the inode version

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 16, 2020

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Sapozhnik posted:

bold of you to assume human civilization will survive until 2038 etc

will windows xp outlast human civilization?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The only appropriate artifact of human civilization is a CRT with a bluescreen permanently etched on its screen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

starbucks hermit posted:

The only appropriate artifact of human civilization is a CRT with a bluescreen permanently etched on its screen.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
where the gently caress is the any key

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
nice, i can finally remove python 2 from my gentoo machines, might have been able to do this a little while ago but didnt try recently until now, there were packages like samba that still depended on 2.7

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Lysidas posted:

my gentoo machines

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gentoo machines, plural

because you somehow didn't learn your lesson the first time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well it's not as if you could accomplish anything with only one gentoo machine, and besides once you get locked into a serious gentoo collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

besides once you get locked into a serious gentoo collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
did btrfs fix its RAID-6 support that had big red warnings on all the wikis not to use it because of data loss bugs?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Jimmy Carter posted:

did btrfs fix its RAID-6 support that had big red warnings on all the wikis not to use it because of data loss bugs?

they're claiming it's fixed now but they're always saying that until the next critical data loss bug is found. maybe they've finally found the last one but its anyones guess really.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Intel's IWD Daemon Has Been Fleshing Out WiFi Display Support

would be neat if miracast could work seamlessly in linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it would be neat if miracast worked seamlessly anywhere

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

they're claiming it's fixed now but they're always saying that until the next critical data loss bug is found. maybe they've finally found the last one but its anyones guess really.

there are patches floating around, but every wiki still has a big red block for raid56 with "write-hole" in it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

currently write-only support

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Microsoft plans for single-screen Windows 10X rollout in spring 2021; dual-screen in spring 2022

WDG: Hey guys!
Everyone: Oh no, not again.
WDG: Did you hear about Windows 10X?
Everyone: Yeah, that's the OS for those dual-screen devices you're going to be shipping soon, right?
WDG: Uh... no, not exactly. Those dual-screen devices are definitely real and we're totally going to ship those, just in twenty-twenty*mumble*.
Everyone: Oh, that's a surprise.
WDG: But Windows 10X devices are going to ship next spring!
Everyone: If they're not dual-screen, then what are Windows 10X devices.
WDG: Imagine a laptop that runs Windows, but is inexpensive and primarily targeted at internet browsing.
Everyone: Netbooks?
WDG: No, Cloud PCs!
Everyone: Oh.
WDG: It's going to be great! They'll run Chromium, all the best Windows apps, have super-fast startup, shutdown, update, and, of course, be super secure!
Everyone: Ah, it sounds like you figured out how to make your containerized Win32 app strategy work well, then.
WDG: Oh no, there will be no containerized Win32 apps.
Everyone: So you did the infrastructure and perf work to make Win32 apps run without containers?
WDG: Of course not! Win32 apps are entirely unimportant now that UWP is an unmitigated success, so Cloud PCs won't run Win32 apps at all!
Everyone: Five years of development effort and you've created Chromebooks, except worse. We can always count on you to meet our expectations, WDG.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

someone once described microsoft's product strategy as "copy competitors, launch early, then iterate until you have a mostly working product 2 years after everyone stopped caring about it"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
windows 1010: Magna Encarta edition

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qirex posted:

someone once described microsoft's product strategy as "copy competitors, launch early, then iterate until you have a mostly working product 2 years after everyone stopped caring about it"

Here's WDG's strategy:
1) Leaders think up a very stupid and very expensive idea for a product
2) 80% of product is built
3) Roll dice to decide whether product is shipped half-baked or product release is postponed.
4) Leaders fired
5) New leaders realize that product idea is fundamentally stupid, and decide they need to abandon product and pivot. Go to 1.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sir, this is the Linux thread

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

starbucks hermit posted:

Correct.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

starbucks hermit posted:

all threads are linux threads if you think about it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's fine, you can just run your win32 apps on Wine through WSL

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fiedler posted:

Microsoft plans for single-screen Windows 10X rollout in spring 2021; dual-screen in spring 2022

WDG: Hey guys!
Everyone: Oh no, not again.
WDG: Did you hear about Windows 10X?
Everyone: Yeah, that's the OS for those dual-screen devices you're going to be shipping soon, right?
WDG: Uh... no, not exactly. Those dual-screen devices are definitely real and we're totally going to ship those, just in twenty-twenty*mumble*.
Everyone: Oh, that's a surprise.
WDG: But Windows 10X devices are going to ship next spring!
Everyone: If they're not dual-screen, then what are Windows 10X devices.
WDG: Imagine a laptop that runs Windows, but is inexpensive and primarily targeted at internet browsing.
Everyone: Netbooks?
WDG: No, Cloud PCs!
Everyone: Oh.
WDG: It's going to be great! They'll run Chromium, all the best Windows apps, have super-fast startup, shutdown, update, and, of course, be super secure!
Everyone: Ah, it sounds like you figured out how to make your containerized Win32 app strategy work well, then.
WDG: Oh no, there will be no containerized Win32 apps.
Everyone: So you did the infrastructure and perf work to make Win32 apps run without containers?
WDG: Of course not! Win32 apps are entirely unimportant now that UWP is an unmitigated success, so Cloud PCs won't run Win32 apps at all!
Everyone: Five years of development effort and you've created Chromebooks, except worse. We can always count on you to meet our expectations, WDG.
I do love how the entire purpose of Windows 10X has changed multiple times to the point where it has nothing to do with what it was originally supposed to be and has inexplicably turned into yet another Windows RT/Windows S (I feel like there might have been one or two other incarnations that I'm missing). It's especially bizarre after they basically gave up on keeping the UWP apis separate from win32 and started allowing developers to mix and match.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 20, 2020

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'll consider paying for windows 10 again if they just release a new version that brings back Aero support, legacy themes and the start menu from windows 7

Maybe just revert everything from windows 8 and 10 that isn't a security fix

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'll consider paying for windows 10 again if they just release a new version that brings back Aero support, legacy themes and the start menu from windows 7

Maybe just revert everything from windows 8 and 10 that isn't a security fix

this but instead of making it look obnoxiously dated they just leave it the same and give me a million dollars

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i lost hte microsoft thread . anyway I've been using edge so I can have work and home profiles and it's great. thanks microsoft.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

i lost hte microsoft thread . anyway I've been using edge so I can have work and home profiles and it's great. thanks microsoft.

mods???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Linux support for ASUS ROG laptops is coming along nicely