Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Paper Mario 64 is in this odd place where I keep thinking 'was it really as good as I remember', debating it in my head a good deal, then deciding 'yeah probably.'

I really could use another play through of it because it really does have a lot of charm even in memories, but I'm not sure how much of that is carried by the art style and unique designs.

E: Btw there's a achievement in this game and a special message you get if you beat the entire thing without equipping any accessories. Just wanted to let you know that to drive you crazy.

In my replay a few years ago I kinda felt like each chapter was played too "straight", like until the final one they don't do any of the interesting takes on the chapter structure that TTYD does for most of its chapters. However I've never fully replayed TTYD so I have no idea if the backtracking/gameplay grind is grating enough to cancel that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

A lot of the original Paper Mario chapters are pretty barebones but it does have some amazing high points like Boo's Mansion, Crystal Palace, Bowser's Castle, and the final boss.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nuts and Gum posted:

One thing that helped me immensely was when I realized I could press B to cancel any ring changes. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

You can even cancel out all changes and have the chance to just pay the Toads instead!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like this game.

I keep getting toad bells going off with nothing around. I'm guessing I will pick up some more skills/items that will help later on.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waltzing Along posted:

I like this game.

I keep getting toad bells going off with nothing around. I'm guessing I will pick up some more skills/items that will help later on.

You don't

Some Toads are just really, really devious or don't become available until chapter clear. The worst is the yellow streamer area as the yellow zombie toads will make it go off every time you see one but you can't do anything until that region is done.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Waltzing Along posted:

I like this game.

nah, you're able to get pretty much all of the toads right when you get there. the Toad Radar will help find some of the ones you can't immediately figure out but I think about 95% of toads are obtainable during the course of the story.

edit: I'm not quite finished with the game but I definitely think I like it better than PM64. I like how playful the writing is, and even if not every joke lands enough of them do that I'm really charmed by it. Plus any game with multiple musical numbers gets a big boost from me. The Yellow Streamer world is really the high point for the soundtrack, with the J-Pop number that awakens the Fire Vellumental, the regular world music for Sniff City and the hotel, plus the four DJ tracks each being inspired by a different type of club music including one that is an obvious DDR reference.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 21, 2020

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

ymgve posted:

You can even cancel out all changes and have the chance to just pay the Toads instead!

Someone in this thread mentioned you can hit X to ask for a hint, which effectively pauses the cock so you can think, with a slightly worse view of the rings. I try not to abuse it but very helpful at times

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just a heads up there's a 100% ending if you get absolutely everything.

I'm not sure how many people will care but it's a added incentive to do battles and get coins so you can buy those hefty priced models.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not sure how many people will care but it's a added incentive to do battles and get coins so you can buy those hefty priced models.

oh boy. :|

I spent like 20 minutes getting the Shuriken trophy and I get the feeling getting every coin on the Eddy River will be oh so much worse

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Do i have to collect all the coins on the rapids tour for this?

This is directly related to whether i will ever 100% this or not.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Highest Cactus posted:

Do i have to collect all the coins on the rapids tour for this?

This is directly related to whether i will ever 100% this or not.

I think that gets you a trophy, which goes towards completion percentage. :rip:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

So the entirety of the purple streamer chapter was intentionally a giant homage to Wind Waker right? Like there's no way it isn't it's so perfectly set up.

Also man this game just doesn't stop charming me with all these gorgeous environments and the silly writing. It's been long enough to say I love this game now right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So the entirety of the purple streamer chapter was intentionally a giant homage to Wind Waker right? Like there's no way it isn't it's so perfectly set up.

Also man this game just doesn't stop charming me with all these gorgeous environments and the silly writing. It's been long enough to say I love this game now right?

Considering that you go to an underwater area where you complete tests of Wisdom, Power and Courage, yeah, the Zelda homage is entirely intentional.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Toad King posted:

I think that gets you a trophy, which goes towards completion percentage. :rip:

Who thought this was a good idea? Because I’d like to punch them through the internet.

Edit: is there a ? Block detecting radar thing? I need that, I’m sick of missing so many ? Blocks.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm enjoying finding collectables and toads and whatnot as I notice them but I sure am glad I'm never interested in 100 percenting games.

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 21, 2020

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Who thought this was a good idea? Because I’d like to punch them through the internet.

Edit: is there a ? Block detecting radar thing? I need that, I’m sick of missing so many ? Blocks.

yes, theres an accessory for it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You have 2 tools later for it yes like with Toad hunting gear. And you pretty much need the accessory to find them, because some of these locations are horseshit. No way most players would find them on their own without the accessory.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Araxxor posted:

You have 2 tools later for it yes like with Toad hunting gear. And you pretty much need the accessory to find them, because some of these locations are horseshit. No way most players would find them on their own without the accessory.

Even with just the bell accessory some still manage to be bullshit. Like hiding two right next to each other so you find one and spend fifteen minutes running through the whole dungeon again to find the other one.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I'm in what I'm assuming is the final area (Peach's castle/origami castle) and just came across my favorite origami visual gag in the game where Olly knocks a couple minions into what appear to be origami spikes, but it turns out they're those playground paper fortune tellers and they eat the minions up goddamn I love this game and I'm bummed it's almost over

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 100% ending is genuinely not worth the trouble, it's like a 5 second clip and you can probably predict exactly what it is. Just Youtube it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Since when has 100% completing a game been about some minor reward you get for it? I'll do it because i want to play more.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If there's like an additional boss fight or additional levels like in Yoshi's Island then I'll do it, but I can't imagine anything more boring than combing the world for a toad you missed 8 hours ago.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I’m slightly conflicted. I just cleared the blue streamer area, and the normal fights have become well, not exactly a chore but not very entertaining either. But the boss fights are a ton of fun and the writing is funny and weird in the best traditions of Paper Mario.

So I’m still having a good time but I wish the combat was ... more. More something.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol holy poo poo, what happened with TTYD? I see it going for $250-$350AUD on ebay here. Maybe I should sell my copy...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

BurgerQuest posted:

Lol holy poo poo, what happened with TTYD? I see it going for $250-$350AUD on ebay here. Maybe I should sell my copy...

No other legal avenues to play it on other than the GameCube. No rereleases and no VC equivalent, so yeah prices shot up. Also something of a collector's item I guess.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

BurgerQuest posted:

Nintendo will never re-release TTYD, or go back to that style of overworld/NPC designs

TTYD already broke the fanbase irrevocably. They just cannot risk newer generations being seduced by the possibility of character designs diverging from Nintendo standard, or the ability to have a goomba talk smack about a random NPC's love life

I have a copy, but my Gamecube's been broken forever. Maybe I should sell, too - emulator's the way to go anyway

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Nintendo will never re-release TTYD, or go back to that style of overworld/NPC designs

TTYD already broke the fanbase irrevocably. They just cannot risk newer generations being seduced by the possibility of character designs diverging from Nintendo standard, or the ability to have a goomba talk smack about a random NPC's love life

I have a copy, but my Gamecube's been broken forever. Maybe I should sell, too - emulator's the way to go anyway

I wouldn't be so sure. Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story were remastered, and this was after Color Splash and Paper Jam

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

I’m slightly conflicted. I just cleared the blue streamer area, and the normal fights have become well, not exactly a chore but not very entertaining either. But the boss fights are a ton of fun and the writing is funny and weird in the best traditions of Paper Mario.

So I’m still having a good time but I wish the combat was ... more. More something.
Good news for you, the next area has very minimal standard encounters.

I don't get the complaint though, the simple puzzle encounters are over in 30 seconds, and the complex ones are fun to solve for me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Exploring the ocean after you lift the fog is so much fun

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bought this since everyone seems to like it a lot, and I'm still early but the writing is really good. Better than color splash imo. It's genuinely fun and clever without feeling too impressed with itself for being funny.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I am finally giving up on my dream of wanting these games to be something they aren't going to be. I'm really enjoying this game for what it is. I actually wish they didn't even try with turn-based combat since it's just enough to remind me it's not what I want. What I'm enjoying the most is the adventure game elements and the writing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

I don't get the complaint though, the simple puzzle encounters are over in 30 seconds, and the complex ones are fun to solve for me.

You've literally explained the problem in your text.

The complex ones are fun to solve, for you.

If they're not, then the simple puzzles are 20 seconds of tooling around to defeat a trivial encounter for the benefit of potentially more complex puzzles, which aren't fun either. There are a lot of complex puzzles where i look at them, think "I dunno" dump things into a couple of lines and then dump fire flowers to win.

To be clear, I don't care that this isn't PM64 or TTYD. But like, I wish there was more complexity or RPG elements around the combat to allow me to customise the way I deal with them.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could customise the puzzle to be more simple, but for less overall damage? Or customise it so you got more actions but fewer turns on the puzzle wheel?

The system is a good base, but so far, that's all that it is.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite puzzles are the ones that I spend hundreds of coins on for more time, try every possible solution I can think up then just say 'gently caress it' and just botch the whole thing to move on.

Then realize the next time I see it I just had to scoot a line over to the left and I somehow didn't try the most basic thing available to me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My favorite puzzles are the ones that I spend hundreds of coins on for more time, try every possible solution I can think up then just say 'gently caress it' and just botch the whole thing to move on.

Then realize the next time I see it I just had to scoot a line over to the left and I somehow didn't try the most basic thing available to me.

I laid down to take a nap after one of these and solved it in my head and felt super dumb.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Some of the groups look so deceptively simple and then I feel so stupid when I can't figure them out.

See Also: All the Shy Guys Finish Last mini games where I know the answer but can't get the ring right like a moron. This game trolls me and I love it.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
holy poo poo at the midas river hell redux

I wanted it back but not like this

not like this...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Amppelix posted:

This kind of slidey block puzzle is just hit-or-miss with people for whatever reason. Personally, it feels like my brain just isn't good at thinking through these kinds of patterns, and it feels kinda lovely when you can't solve it. I have felt myself getting a little better at it over time, but it just doesn't feel like a lot of fun even when one of them finally clicks and I get the right solution. I've been telling myself to just play it more like a regular battle system -- if I get the pattern right and one-shot it, fine, if not I'll just take a couple extra turns and buy more mushrooms and fire flowers if necessary.

e: also, you know what's some bullshit? When it clicks for you and you nail the solution for what looked like a gnarled mess of enemies, and then the stupid blue crabs don't die because you only got a Great and not an Excellent Timed Hit.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 21, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey, honest tip if puzzles are too hard. Go to the battle lab. Not sure when he starts giving it away but on my second visit he gave me a solution finder thing. It doesn't solve the puzzles for you, but if you turn it on in the options menu it'll tell you during fights if you're aiming for a 2x2 or a line, and give you a general idea of where you want things to end up.

I found it in the post game but you can (apparently) get it pretty early

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YoshiOfYellow posted:

See Also: All the Shy Guys Finish Last mini games where I know the answer but can't get the ring right like a moron. This game trolls me and I love it.

I literally rage quit yesterday on this haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In the end I hacked some code together to brute force the hardest puzzles. It still counts as solving when I wrote the code, right?