Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Vasudus posted:

I wish I had some kind of easy solution to this, but I don't. I guess in a way the power creep from the last two years or so has kind of made things easier in this regard.

Yeah there's no easy solution. I've played a stupid amount of this game and done a lot of self-made builds and even now some of them end up getting completely transformed around level 70 or so when I realize whatever I'm doing actually sucks. The best general rules of thumb I'd found are:

-be realistic about your actual top-end dps. ie, don't assume charges, flasks, etc you can't sustain against bosses.
-keep in mind how often moving around to avoid hits is going to disrupt your attack patterns and buff sustain
-be pessimistic about both offense and defense until/unless you know exactly how your chosen layers mesh together. if your initial reaction is that it's a 10/10 on paper but you don't have practical experience with the build, expect an 8/10 at best in practice.
-unless you're rich or your target gear is already in-hand or easy to obtain, assume that you're going to be 20-30% off your ideal mods
-along with the above, consider how much covering stats and resists will stretch your gearing requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Is there an ideal way to re-enter a Sirus fight after a death? Kind of annoying getting Die beamed from off screen before I even make it back to the ring

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The moment you can see the puddles that mark the edge of the arena you need to use movement skills to quickly approach him. Just Flame Dash a couple times quickly into the arena so you can identify his location again.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Migrated my Witch away from creeping frost to a Wintertide Brand low-life build that's a lot of fun. First time playing any kind of brand character.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/drewmoney/characters?characterName=DrewWitchHRVST

Wish I knew more about PoB to show my exact stats.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

heisenberg posted:

<helpful crafting examples>

That was both helpful and interesting, thanks for taking the time to write out all the detail.

One thing I'm curious about, for you as well as others who are doing some of this more complicated crafting, are you doing this mostly "self found" (i.e. from your own harvest/horticraft stuff), or using crafting services?

Before I got bored of the league, I bought a hunter influenced amulet and alt-spammed for +1 dex gems, with the goal of eventually crafting on +chaos gems and +chaos multi, much like you did in your 3rd example. The only real "problem" at this point being that I didn't have much in the way of horticraft-stored crafts, and historically don't care a whole lot for the trade league part of POE. I gave up on it before I bothered to think through how much grinding I had ahead of me just to get 1 amulet done, much less the other juicy gear that would have helped half-assed toxic rain character...

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

wonderboy posted:

One thing I'm curious about, for you as well as others who are doing some of this more complicated crafting, are you doing this mostly "self found" (i.e. from your own harvest/horticraft stuff), or using crafting services?

All of the gear on both of my characters was done completely from self found crafts, but I also map far more than the average player. There's a lot of crafts that can be done on a small supply though, many things are completely deterministic or very little rng.

A +1 dex gems hunter amulet for example for TR, you can make a double +1, chaos dot multi amulet without that many crafts. This would require 7-10 remove/add chaos, two augment chaos, one remove life and then however many other crafts depending on the rest of the mods you wanted. Some number of remove/add elemental for resists and remove/add life for a high life roll most likely.

Or you could save the remove/add chaos by purchasing an amulet with the +1dex and dot multi already, and maybe get a free resist also. You just have to know specifically what your end result is and then work backwards to determine the best way of getting there.

A good example is the staff I just made for my Herald of Thunder Assassin.

I knew I wanted +3 lightning, Power Charge on Crit and %damage per power charge, as these were the strongest mods available. I knew I couldn't get the next best mod, %lightning damage easily, as it shares tags with +lightning gems, same with trying to get +2 spell skill gems. The next best option was %lighting as extra chaos, as that would be the only chaos tagged mod. The two suffixes were easy choices, as the crafted mod and crit multi are by far the strongest choices. I knew Power Charge on Crit was the only critical tagged prefix, so that would be my final mod. And %damage per power charge had no tag so that would be my starting point. From there it was easy to determine an order, I just had to do some clever blocking to make it possible to actually achieve this.

1. Awakener orb the base
2. Alt into %damage per power charge, regal anything harvest removeable
3. Craft Cannot Roll Attack Mods to block a MASSIVE portion of the mod pool
4a. Augment fire/cold to get a removeable suffix
4b. Augment Fire/Cold to get %fire/cold damage prefix to block rolling %lightning damage
4c. Augment Fire/Cold to get +fire/cold damage to spells to block +lightning to spells.
5. Augment/Remove+Add Lightning until you get +3 lightning gems. Because of all the blocking this is roughly 1/40 odds. Without the blocking it is 1/183
6. Remove a prefix and augment/remove+add chaos until lightning as extra chaos, cry because you ran out without getting T1
7. Remove your resist suffix and augment/remove+add critical until t1 crit multi
8. Remove your other prefix and augment critical which adds power charge on crit
9. Replace your crafted mod with double damage

It sounds complicated, but making something like this without harvest would be almost impossible. Only the two lightning mods required a significant amount of crafts, and took FAR less than it would if you did not block out other possible rolls. This staff isn't mirror tier, as there are some actually perfect ones out there with the +2 and +3 gem mods, but mine is only 5% less damage than those.

Most harvest crafting is just looking at what you want and figuring out the hardest part and doing that first. If you don't have infinite crafts you have to sometimes choose the lesser options that get you 95% of the power for 5% of the cost.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

drewmoney posted:

Migrated my Witch away from creeping frost to a Wintertide Brand low-life build that's a lot of fun. First time playing any kind of brand character.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/drewmoney/characters?characterName=DrewWitchHRVST

Wish I knew more about PoB to show my exact stats.

You can tie PoB into your account (or anyone's) directly via the import/export menu so long as the account is publicly accessible. After that, pick the character you want, import passives + items, tick whatever boxes make sense in the config/dps stuff, and then from the same import/export menu use the build sharing tab to generate -> share with pastebin -> copy.

I skipped the 'ticket whatever boxes make sense' part but your base character is represented by https://pastebin.com/LBH10TPu

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

search engine posted:

I skipped the 'ticket whatever boxes make sense' part but your base character is represented by https://pastebin.com/LBH10TPu

Interesting. Thanks!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello fellow EULA-abiding exiles.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 21, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idgi

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It is a bloom joke

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I made a post about client modification in the official forums, GGG deleted it and account-locked me, then I got an e-mail that was essentially "listen we know and have known that you really like to mess with the client but can you please not talk about it in our own grounds" and I was like sure fair enough and got account unlocked.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol, that’s awesome :)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
amazing

FWIW your posts are always really informative and cool!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
cobra lash deadeye reportback: i ended up going with a life version, just stacking flat cold on as many abyss jewels as i could shove in the build. on the one hand, it's got a good chunk less damage than frost blades berserker, and doesn't clear quite as fast. on the other hand, the berserker rage playstyle is stupid as hell, and not having to ramp up at the start of maps is great. also this version is a ton tankier: it freezes anything it touches, up through map bosses and sometimes conquerors. it has evasion, and baseline 55% atk/spell dodge, with elusive up regularly, and mistwall block. i leveled 85-87 in t15s and t16s before noticing that i only had 60 lightning res.

all in all, it's exactly what i thought it'd be: an unreasonably expensive B-tier build, with S-tier screen explosions. nothing in the game feels as good as chaining herald of ice shatters.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Elentor posted:

I made a post about client modification in the official forums, GGG deleted it and account-locked me, then I got an e-mail that was essentially "listen we know and have known that you really like to mess with the client but can you please not talk about it in our own grounds" and I was like sure fair enough and got account unlocked.

lol awesome

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I bought a razer Tartarus pro, because my fingers were starting to hurt, and they feel better already. Being able to do a tiny circle with my thumb and trigger 4 potions is wonderful.

Not sure how streamers still have fingers that work after so many hours per day.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Jinnigan posted:

nothing in the game feels as good as chaining herald of ice shatters.

What's the best build for these? Ice Shot? Frost Blades? Take a time machine back to pre-nerf Winter Orb?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Are there any builds that aren't visually cluttered? I like this game, but it's hard as poo poo to see anything other than huge explosions

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Bleed bow doesn't have much going on visually, other than the corpse explosions.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Are there any builds that aren't visually cluttered? I like this game, but it's hard as poo poo to see anything other than huge explosions

Essence Drain is very subdued. Monsters kind of just fall down.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

I bought a razer Tartarus pro, because my fingers were starting to hurt, and they feel better already. Being able to do a tiny circle with my thumb and trigger 4 potions is wonderful.

Not sure how streamers still have fingers that work after so many hours per day.

Use a flask macro

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Papercut posted:

Use a flask macro

They won’t ban you? I have no clue how strict they are with that stuff.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

It's against the ToS but a huge number of people use AHK macros for flasks (and for stuff like detonating mines). You won't get banned for it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamelekim posted:

Like, just read my posts in this very page.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thanks for this. I think it's slowly starting to click.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Elentor posted:

Like, just read my posts in this very page.

I read it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
They're so weird about macros. The official rule is "one key press per server action" but how on earth am I supposed to know if potions are server or client side? Does my client just send updates about my health amount or potion status? Maybe it sends a single combined update with which status effect I'm impacted by, or maybe it sends 60 updates a second about which potion buttons I'm mashing. It's like... they don't want to make a rule about it so they're inviting you to be polite about it. Just put a .1 second delay in between the key presses and don't be a jerk about it I think is the actual rule.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just make it so 1 key is one action on the POE server API, you just need this handy API reference and this PDF of the protocol architecture, and then you cross reference that with your AHK script, and boom easy TOS compliance.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

Just make it so 1 key is one action on the POE server API, you just need this handy API reference and this PDF of the protocol architecture, and then you cross reference that with your AHK script, and boom easy TOS compliance.

If you're unsure whether your macro is allowed, just don't ask on the official forums and you'll be fine

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I've used a potion macro in the past

I've forced my game ultra-wide for the sweet sweet FOV

I've exploited zone load times to target farm

I'm the bad boy of PoE

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

nightwisher posted:

I've exploited zone load times to target farm
didnt some people actually get banned for this?

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
There are flask macros (just an AHK script) that activate on your first right-click and do the following:
-Activate when your attack button is used (right-click f.e.)
-Deactivate automatically when right-click (attack button of your choice) is not pressed after X seconds
-Activate any number of keys with a fixed interval, automatically

This means that you have it do this:
Click Potion 2 automatically with an interval of <4000 ms>
Potion 3 <5000 ms>
Potion 4 <5500 ms>
Potion 5 <6500 ms>

As long as you are in combat or used your right-click recently, it will activate the potions based on the interval (which is your potion duration) automatically.
It doesn't take a lot to add, for example, the keybind R with a cooldown interval and let it automatically buff you with something like Steelskin if you desire.
In practice, you will start a map, press your attack button at the first pack and never bother to look at your potions again. In normal circumstances, your potion uptime will be 100%.

The bad:
While you can manually press potions and override the script, you can end up with no potion charges at a boss fight.

I do not use it, as I play on HC and want control, but this type of scipting is incredibly strong. I know of 3 players on softcore that use this exact script for at least 4 leagues straight now. It's very, very comfortable.

edit: Oh, it also have a very slight random delay built-in when the buttons press.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
And that is exactly the level of flask macro that is going a step too far, not at all what most people are referring to when they say they use one.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
I've used the one that comes up when you google poe auto flask for the last 3 leagues. Not sure I could live without it with the way my RSI is.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

A guy I played with last league said he had one that cycled between different flasks with one button press still required for each (so I guess making a key do the numerics in sequence). I often use a controller so I just use the D-Pad for the first 4 and put potion 5 on my right thumb stick.

I am getting way more accustomed to the gameplay flow with Penance Brand, and figuring out what I want to emphasize and what I don't. So far I am loving really high cast speed with no duration modifications to the brands outside of Swiftbrand. Assuming two on one enemy right now I get 1.27s of active time and during that the enemy should hit 20/20 stacks quick enough that there are still 11 pulses prior to detonation total from the two brands within the 1.27s duration. Doing it like this rather than trying to time duration to achieve a full detonation exactly on charging up is better for my sanity and I like how this is working for me.

Here's a decently juicy corrupted T16 map that starts with a delirium and includes some light gardening while it's still active (though I didn't make it to the end of the level with it), as well as a Metamorph kill after the twinned boss fight. I am still getting used to when to put out an Orb of Storms and dig in, and when to just keep rocking with Penance and stay on the move. I'm also still feeling out the timing to recast if I am dealing with multiple packs since I only have two brands, but generally if I see multiple packs I drop an Orb of Storms right away and blast them preemptively so that I don't get overwhelmed if they all close distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARnWp8Wd9u4

Agreed fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 21, 2020

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm currently playing a cyclone build using Stampede to go fast. Was wondering about these tailwind/elusive/onslaught (i probably wouldnt use this one)/35ms boots that seem easy to craft, anyone able to compare Stampede to them? Cyclone has a -30% MS that Stampede ignores and I'm not sure the buffs would make up for that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

kater posted:

I'm currently playing a cyclone build using Stampede to go fast. Was wondering about these tailwind/elusive/onslaught (i probably wouldnt use this one)/35ms boots that seem easy to craft, anyone able to compare Stampede to them? Cyclone has a -30% MS that Stampede ignores and I'm not sure the buffs would make up for that.

Stampede falls off at the high end because it locks your movement speed at 150%, while between all the sources of increased movement most spinners should get you can go above it even with the cyclone malus. Stampede is mostly useful on characters that use cyclone for things other than attacking because those builds tend to have less movement speed buffs.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Cinara posted:

And that is exactly the level of flask macro that is going a step too far, not at all what most people are referring to when they say they use one.

I agree. I don't trust most people who are vocal about what they use and how, but that's my problem. I don't mind either way, I just hope GGG makes some changes to the whole system in PoE2. I'm sure they will come up with some fun ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's the best build for these? Ice Shot? Frost Blades? Take a time machine back to pre-nerf Winter Orb?

Apparently there's some insanely expensive BV/HoI autobomber thing right now that's almost as good as pre-nerf Elementalist Herald chains