Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Pierson posted:

Two quick questions about caring for this expensive hunk of computing: Should I be worried about the detachable plastic shield on the front of the headset

The sole purpose of that thing is to cover the frunk, purely for appearances' sake. I leave mine off, as it's just (a little bit of) dead weight.

Pierson posted:

Also Is there a preferred kind of detergent for cleaning and face gasket or will any regular thing do?

Use hand soap and warm water. Be gentle with the cleaning, make sure any soap is rinsed off/out afterwards and let it air dry. I don't think there's really a way to clean this that will keep it in 100% mint condition forever, but avoiding anything overly aggressive should prolong its life as much as possible. Eventually you'll want to get replacement covers (2 for $40 isn't that bad a deal IMO), and if you plan on sharing the headset I'd get them anyway. It already feels really gross putting a cold, sweat-soaked face gasket on after taking a break for a minute - imagine it being someone else's sweat :barf:

I guess you can also get one of the non-foam / fake-leather cover replacements instead. I haven't tried them - I'd guess they'd be at least close in comfort but much easier to wipe down after use. The only difference with those being that you gotta watch out a bit more that none of the sweat gets into the lenses/display unit itself. All that sweat that would've been soaked up by the foam has to go somewhere, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

My crosshairs are missing in Skyrim VR even though I have it toggled on in settings. Anyone know what is hiding it? Ordinator maybe? I'm running the "Ultimate VR Hybrid" modlist/wabbajack pack.

It's also lagging a bit, I trimmed a dozen mods out already but I may have to find a few more to disable. I shot and hit a rabbit with my bow but the rabbit kept running for about 5 seconds before the game caught up.

I thought I had a pretty powerful VR system, but all the Skyrim mods are giving it a real work out. First time I've ever had a VR game my system couldn't keep up with.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 19, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Your first mistake was expecting a Bethesda game to run smoothly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What generation i7?

2018 I think XPS 15 9750... 9570?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I have the same computer so it's prob i7-8750H, which is 6c/12t. Should be good for gaming. It will boost but it won't be able to sustain it

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134906/intel-core-i7-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

The XPS gets very hot. So I'd recommend undervolting it if you can. I don't know if laptop fan stands make much of a difference but it would be something. I assume you're going to use the thunderbolt with an egpu?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

8th or 9th gen i7 should be fine. Remember an egpu isn’t like the desktop version anyway so it’s less of a concern since you lose 20%-ish to the egpu enclosure and tether anyway

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah TB3... do they even make egpu that use any other connector? eGPUs work at all is due to the raw access to the pci-e bus, right?

Undervolt was disabled by a dell firmware update... this is my last Dell... getting an X1 Extreme or something next time... I've found putting a pink rubber eraser under each back corner and running a fan in the room on medium is good for 5-10c temp drop

Current plan is to get a 3080 when they're released this fall(?) and plug that into the laptop via eGPU and then hook that up to oculus quest link thing. I figure if I lose 20% to the eGPU then going with the 3080 is probably a good way to get "true 2080" performance out of my laptop

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SirViver posted:

The sole purpose of that thing is to cover the frunk, purely for appearances' sake. I leave mine off, as it's just (a little bit of) dead weight.

Use hand soap and warm water. Be gentle with the cleaning, make sure any soap is rinsed off/out afterwards and let it air dry. I don't think there's really a way to clean this that will keep it in 100% mint condition forever, but avoiding anything overly aggressive should prolong its life as much as possible. Eventually you'll want to get replacement covers (2 for $40 isn't that bad a deal IMO), and if you plan on sharing the headset I'd get them anyway. It already feels really gross putting a cold, sweat-soaked face gasket on after taking a break for a minute - imagine it being someone else's sweat :barf:

I guess you can also get one of the non-foam / fake-leather cover replacements instead. I haven't tried them - I'd guess they'd be at least close in comfort but much easier to wipe down after use. The only difference with those being that you gotta watch out a bit more that none of the sweat gets into the lenses/display unit itself. All that sweat that would've been soaked up by the foam has to go somewhere, after all.
Thanks man, I'll keep all this in mind. I'm gonna need it to because Beat Saber is so fun holy poo poo and after 30mins it is already nasty.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hadlock posted:

Discord is trash, please use spreadsheets or start a steam group

Yeah, use IRC as well; maybe keep a rolodex of all your gamer friends.

You're probably being serious aren't you? :ohdear:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Hadlock posted:

Discord is trash, please use spreadsheets or start a steam group

You can’t be seriou—

Hadlock posted:

How big of a bottleneck is an i7 mobile cpu, when attached to a 2080 eGPU

You can use your rolodex to cool it enough to not be a bottleneck imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

How big of a bottleneck is an i7 mobile cpu, when attached to a 2080 eGPU

in most games probably not at all. if it's new enough that it can support an egpu, the CPU is fine, but since it's mobile it probably lacks some threads so make sure to close your browsers and poo poo so you don't get stutters in VR.

you'll get lower fps than usual just from it being an egpu interface, but it shouldn't be an issue with a 2080 in any game specifically made for VR. minimum required for most poo poo is still like gtx 960/970.

e;fb

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sigher posted:

Yeah, use IRC as well; maybe keep a rolodex of all your gamer friends.

You're probably being serious aren't you? :ohdear:

Steam Groups/Mumble superiority :c00lbert:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

It's not 2010 any more.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If its not 2010 why do VR headsets still cost 3 grand and only have 2DOF?

Checkmate :colbert:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm clearly owned.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looks like house flipper VR will be coming to the quest as well!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Harminoff posted:

Looks like house flipper VR will be coming to the quest as well!

I didn't know this was a thing (the VR part, House Flipper owns) and now I need it.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Also, where's Viscera Cleanup Detail VR? I know it's probably a small company or some poo poo, but I want to spend hours cleaning up guts and then knocking over those buckets of guts in VR dammit!

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Hadlock posted:

Discord is trash

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Working on the steam group now! Will post a link to that and a backup drive sheet tonight!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there any plans for adding VR support to The Crew 2? It suddenly shows up in the VR category over on Steam.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Captain Apollo posted:

Working on the steam group now! Will post a link to that and a backup drive sheet tonight!
Thanks!
Almost finished with my first 3d model. Who would've thought that the rear end area would be the hardest part to get right.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
war thunder...

what the f

i just want to try flying a plane

the setup and controls and mapping and everything was bonkers

and when i just hit enough buttons to let me to a tutorial, it wasn't even in 1st person cockpit mode

not to mention, controlling the menus and everything is seemingly impossible

i feel like this game wasnt made for VR at all, and I think i'm right?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
unlreated to war thunder but, how the hell does my headset know where the play area is that i drew in the other room, when i took it into this room (still plugged in, mind you) and sat down at the computer desk?

Wait. still plugged in... is it using IR to map the room with those little sensors on the headset? It could do distance and direction and just memorize a simple floor plan, couldn't it, and when i walked to the other room, it just knew where i was in relation to the last room huh

neat

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm in the beta for Swam. This thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1AbnSR8ufw

At this point I don't remember how I entered it, maybe I saw a post on reddit or twitter or whatever. It's pretty good arcade game, very fun, although too hard for me. It feels a good VR experience as clearly it has been designed with VR on mind since inception. It's also obviously not recommendable for people prone to VR sickness.
It has a nice comic book style that works well within the limitations of the Quest.
The beta (no idea if this represents the full game or not) has three comic pages as the campaign, the first one with six panels (a level). So around 18 levels for the campaign? Each level must be beaten by surviving all the waves (around 7-9 per level?), and you get both a high score and a series of optional objectives that get you stars, like killing the gold bot (it's super quick and leaves the level after a few seconds), or killing x blue bots with red bots (red explode of course), or killing x enemies with enemy missiles (fired by a miniboss). The type of thing that will make hardcore players to expand their playtime, but at least right now it's not needed to gain upgrades or anything like that.
There is a series of mutators like no enemies, infinite slowmo, and more for the levels, but using them turn off the campaign progression. There is also no difficulty selector, and right now I'm stuck at the end of the third level :/. I'm bad or the game is hard, one of the two. Ok maybe both. The thing is that you don't ever recover enemy health in the stage, so there is a hard limit on the number of hits you can recieve before it's game over. Falling to the bottom (the sea) is also an immediate game over.
The grapple system feel natural, you can pull with the arm to make it have more tension and gain a bit of speed. It's very 'easy to learn, hard to master', as one thing is feeling natural, and another thing altogether is to be able to got exactly where you want, you have to take in account your current inertia and not always a platform will be exactly where you want.
What else. I've seen a non-default weapon, that would disappear after depleting its shots, there is a slowmo feature (hold B) but it can only be used every x seconds. You can pick gems that appear after enemies die, they are score multipliers, but they disappear after a while so sometimes you have to choose what is the priority, waves of drones that are going to disappear in the exit portal soon, combat drones that are firing you, or some gems that are blinking and will disappear very soon.
There is nothing 'extra' in the beta, like endless mode or things like that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hhhat posted:

war thunder...

what the f

and when i just hit enough buttons to let me to a tutorial, it wasn't even in 1st person cockpit mode

it was pretty straightforward for me (i play on a Rift S + HOTAS; the arcade/realistic modes SUCK and i only play in the simulator mode or whatever)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

hhhat posted:

unlreated to war thunder but, how the hell does my headset know where the play area is that i drew in the other room, when i took it into this room (still plugged in, mind you) and sat down at the computer desk?

Wait. still plugged in... is it using IR to map the room with those little sensors on the headset? It could do distance and direction and just memorize a simple floor plan, couldn't it, and when i walked to the other room, it just knew where i was in relation to the last room huh

neat

Facebook spying for the win.

Showed my brother the Eleven Table tennis game (he didn't want to stop playing. He is a sports fan) as well as Super Hot Demo and now he wants to buy a Quest.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Finally got an Oculus Rift S today, was excited as hell to set it up, but it's giving me nothing on the display when it tells me to go into VR to finish the setup process. Ughhh. Tried a million different "solutions" to it (e.g. uninstall/reinstall oculus software, "repair" install, have updated graphics drivers and updated windows, etc.) and have finally given up and sent a support ticket to Oculus with the details of the problem.

From what I can tell this black screen problem is fairly common - has anyone had it and found the Oculus Support useful, or found some miracle cure to it that nobody on the support forums has bothered talking about?

The only other thing I can think of is that there's something wrong with the Display Port connections on my GPU, since I used to have my monitor connected that way and it sometimes blacked out for a second before coming back. I'd have expected it to still show me something though instead of the screen just not turning on. Does the Rift S work okay through HDMI? If it does I could order a DP to HDMI connector and hope that works.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

hhhat posted:

war thunder...

what the f

Correct, it's not made for VR. It's a free to play game that primarily targets an audience that is playing with mouse and keyboard in an arcade mode. If you want to play War Thunder in VR, you want to play in Simulation Battles mode, and have a mouse handy for menus. Do everything else on your normal screen.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cargohills posted:

Finally got an Oculus Rift S today, was excited as hell to set it up, but it's giving me nothing on the display when it tells me to go into VR to finish the setup process. Ughhh. Tried a million different "solutions" to it (e.g. uninstall/reinstall oculus software, "repair" install, have updated graphics drivers and updated windows, etc.) and have finally given up and sent a support ticket to Oculus with the details of the problem.

From what I can tell this black screen problem is fairly common - has anyone had it and found the Oculus Support useful, or found some miracle cure to it that nobody on the support forums has bothered talking about?

The only other thing I can think of is that there's something wrong with the Display Port connections on my GPU, since I used to have my monitor connected that way and it sometimes blacked out for a second before coming back. I'd have expected it to still show me something though instead of the screen just not turning on. Does the Rift S work okay through HDMI? If it does I could order a DP to HDMI connector and hope that works.

Try different USB ports? Sounds simple but it's worth a shot, it can be weirdly picky

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
We upgraded my Dad from a Go to a Quest for his birthday a few days ago. He loves VR stuff, however he plays exclusively sitting down in a big Dad recliner. This can be a problem since so much VR stuff has you storing weapons/items/whatever at your waist, which he can't really reliably do while sitting. Anyone got any Quest game recommendations for things that would work well in a recliner?

He does like shooting stuff a lot, but it would need to have a button based inventory system or chest holsters or something, but really he is open to whatever sort of game. It's tough because even games with a "sitting" mode generally don't assume you're sitting in a giant marshmallow.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lemming posted:

Try different USB ports? Sounds simple but it's worth a shot, it can be weirdly picky

Have tried all the USB 3.0 ports on the back of my PC - although there are two more on the front. May as well buy a USB extension wire of some kind to extend it to the front I suppose.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

El Cid posted:

We upgraded my Dad from a Go to a Quest for his birthday a few days ago. He loves VR stuff, however he plays exclusively sitting down in a big Dad recliner. This can be a problem since so much VR stuff has you storing weapons/items/whatever at your waist, which he can't really reliably do while sitting. Anyone got any Quest game recommendations for things that would work well in a recliner?

He does like shooting stuff a lot, but it would need to have a button based inventory system or chest holsters or something, but really he is open to whatever sort of game. It's tough because even games with a "sitting" mode generally don't assume you're sitting in a giant marshmallow.

Moss is a good game that you can almost entirely sit through, although it does naturally encourage leaning about or occasionally partially standing up to peer at things from various angles. Not required, but it improves the experience.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

El Cid posted:

Ultrawings is great seated. There's even eventually a bit of shooting. (Although it's shooting balloons or whatever.)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cargohills posted:

Have tried all the USB 3.0 ports on the back of my PC - although there are two more on the front. May as well buy a USB extension wire of some kind to extend it to the front I suppose.

You could try the 2.0 as well, I don't think it *has* to be 3.0

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bad Munki posted:

Moss is a good game that you can almost entirely sit through, although it does naturally encourage leaning about or occasionally partially standing up to peer at things from various angles. Not required, but it improves the experience.

Moss is the best and I need more stuff like it badly

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lemming posted:

You could try the 2.0 as well, I don't think it *has* to be 3.0

I'll give that a shot first thing tomorrow then.

(Also, another note, the lights on the headset seem to be working properly - the one on the front is blue and the one by the goggles is white and goes away as it detects my face. Don't know how much of a difference that makes if any.)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

w00tmonger posted:

Moss is the best and I need more stuff like it badly

Obviously yes, this. Best VR experience I've had to date.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Moss is amazing. Blast the Past is fun and fully seated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

cargohills posted:

I've had a lot of issues with the displayport connection with my Rift S. I don't know if it's because it's a refurbished unit or what. I often have to fiddle with it a lot, unplugging both the USB and displayport multiple times while restarting the OVRService until the screen finally comes on, or if all else fails, restarting my computer completely, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.