Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

re: the giant bomb criticism of the game, yeah I can't believe they hated on it so hard. It also really struck me that they were so blase about the plot symbolism being braindead when I feel like they misinterpreted the most important symbolism in the game

Everyone thinks Metal Gear Solid is the BB, but that seems wrong. If Sam is really Kojima, then a project that he felt like he wants to move on from, but everyone he knows keeps trying to drag him back to "finish his work" on a project he was emotionally done with - and then, as he reluctantly does his work, everyone praises him and he turns into a borderline celebrity off of the back of this work he doesn't really believe in - it seems like Metal Gear Solid would have to be Rhodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can still wear a power exoskeleton but if you run out of power and it's the reason you were carrying more weight than your normal limit it's the same problem of needing to abandon cargo, just less drastic than if you had two full hover carriers.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 102 days!
has anyone ever actually run out of battery because i have not

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

I’ve done it a couple of times when I was on a roll in the mountains and it wouldn’t stop snowing.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Lobok posted:

I wonder why they made the hovercarts use crystals anyway. It's not like they'd be perfect except for that, they already have pros and cons just like any other delivery method or tool. If they needed it to be powered, why not use batteries like everything else?

I think it's because (not really sure if this is really a spoiler but just in case...)

Chiral matter seems to defy gravity, even go against it. The chiral matter in Sams Q-pid makes the metal float in the air, bits of chiral matter float up from the hand crystals and even void out craters. It's like the beach is almost an anti-dimension? The matter the BTs are made of is antimatter, maybe the gravity works in the opposite way there? (But then Sam or Heartman going to the beach should cause a void out there right? Then again maybe their beaches are different from where the BTs come from? You never see BTs there.)

Either way, I took it to mean that the carts float because of chiral matter and that has to be replaced with chiral crystals.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a pretty late game mission that... let's just say it takes you over the mountain. I had several of those hover things carrying all my poo poo. And I made the super genius idea to try and go through the mountains instead of straight through the BT area (I had already snuck through on BT area to get to this point).

I had to restart the whole mission over, is how that story ends

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I think it's because (not really sure if this is really a spoiler but just in case...)

Chiral matter seems to defy gravity, even go against it. The chiral matter in Sams Q-pid makes the metal float in the air, bits of chiral matter float up from the hand crystals and even void out craters. It's like the beach is almost an anti-dimension? The matter the BTs are made of is antimatter, maybe the gravity works in the opposite way there? (But then Sam or Heartman going to the beach should cause a void out there right? Then again maybe their beaches are different from where the BTs come from? You never see BTs there.)

Either way, I took it to mean that the carts float because of chiral matter and that has to be replaced with chiral crystals.

Yeah, I'd say you nailed it. Makes sense!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Sam: "Why do I gotta use these crystals anyway"
Diehardman: " Chiral, Grass or rear end, nobody rides for free"
40 seconds later, Deadman notification sound: "Sam, I don't know if you know this or not, but I thought I would tell you, just in case, but you don't have to listen to me, well, ok, those hoverboards you just got, they require the use of Chiral crystals in order to operate them. I just thought you should know. Stay safe out there Sam"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam, this is Die Hardman. It goes without saying, but you should totally skateboard down that gnarly kickin rad hill. I'm passing you over to Tony Hawkman for more information.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sam, it's Tony Hawkman. I've been giving more consideration to the notion of chirality and how it might apply to spinning objects. Would we say that the mirror image of a frontwise 720 nosegrab is a backside 720 nosegrab? I'm up at Mountain Knot City if you can drop by soon for us to discuss further.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

re: the giant bomb criticism of the game, yeah I can't believe they hated on it so hard. It also really struck me that they were so blase about the plot symbolism being braindead when I feel like they misinterpreted the most important symbolism in the game

Giant Bomb have horrendous opinions on videogames, see big man Jeff Gerstman who gave Skyward Sword an 8.8 (far too high) but hates Resident Evil 4 ???? It was absolutely unsurprising they universally hated DS. I'm all for people having different opinions but ranking Mortal Kombat 11, Apex Legends and loving Call of Duty 29 in a top ten for the year when Death Stranding was just utterly slated by them? Get the gently caress out of here.

croup coughfield posted:

The other day I ran out of battery just as I was climbing out of a gorge full of poison gas. I made it to the top but then couldn't carry my cargo, thankfully I had a PCC to make a life-saving generator. I should probably look out that second battery upgrade!

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 22, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm having a pretty annoying issue that is harshing my vibe.

Seems like whenever I'm driving a vehicle, the game pauses frequently to load some assets. At first I thought it's a memory issue and maybe I'm going faster than it's able to load terrain, but after some testing it looks like it only happens when I get to close to a settlement/bunker. In the wilderness I can drive for days with no issues. If I dismount just before a bunker and approach on foot, it's fine. But if I drive a bike, it can pause even up to three times - once when I get close, once by the entrance, and once when going down the ramp.

Super annoying, hope we get another patch soon.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i have the same issue, and i assume it's my processor not quite being up to snuff. putting the game on my SSD didn't seem to make a huge difference. i get bad stutter when i get close to MULE territory and the game has to model people who aren't me, too.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

weirdly enough turning off rumble fixed the performance for me, and some other people. give it a try

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I don't think it's really performance, since other than those stupid Now Loading stops the game works very smoothly. It looks like some stupid bug - it happens when riding vehicles regardless of speed, but when I'm running around in a speed frame faster than a bike, it's fine.

Could be maybe something road-related, since it started happening more once I build up the network. But it seems too specific to just be a memory or processor issue.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Everyone thinks Metal Gear Solid is the BB, but that seems wrong. If Sam is really Kojima, then a project that he felt like he wants to move on from, but everyone he knows keeps trying to drag him back to "finish his work" on a project he was emotionally done with - and then, as he reluctantly does his work, everyone praises him and he turns into a borderline celebrity off of the back of this work he doesn't really believe in - it seems like Metal Gear Solid would have to be Rhodes.

First, just let me say that I love this game. I spent hours upon hours finishing all the roads I could in the Central Region, and now I'm trying to get all the upgrades I can via Star levels before moving on.

However, this game ain't for everyone, and I can easily see how even previous MGS fans like Dan would have hated DS. At first, until you level up and get tools to make traversal more fun, it can be frustrating at times. Also, this game isn't going to be for everyone, I mean that in the sense that there was/is a lot of people to whom (despite being pretty well made systems-wise) this gameplay won't spark interest.

The writing is also kinda bad, the plot is easily the weakest part of this game. While the performances are relatively solid given that this is some good acting talent involved, the diolague is often pretty goddamn hammy. And the metaphors, dear lord the metaphors. They're far too simple (and less clever than the writing thinks they are) and drastically over-explained. It'd flow a lot better if Kojima just trusted his audience to get it with needing to explain it.

My goddamn eyes almost rolled out of my end when I saw that the social media device was loving handcuffs

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

grate deceiver posted:

I don't think it's really performance, since other than those stupid Now Loading stops the game works very smoothly. It looks like some stupid bug - it happens when riding vehicles regardless of speed, but when I'm running around in a speed frame faster than a bike, it's fine.

Could be maybe something road-related, since it started happening more once I build up the network. But it seems too specific to just be a memory or processor issue.

modeling 2 things > modeling 1 things. my game does the same and definitely performs worse in the second area when all the roads came up. i'd say either deal with the momentary pauses or get real stoked to go on foot forever, because as far as i can tell this is a hardware issue and and not the game itself.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

omfg, why is there a Call of Duty sequence in this :/

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

omfg, why is there a Call of Duty sequence in this :/

lol there is also a sequence later that reminded me very much of Soulsborne.

floating brains everywhere, ruined cathedral type places, loving gigantic multi-stage bosses featuring a cool form of jolly cooperation

honestly I was glad for the combat sequences. its like hideo knew some of us gotta unleash the beast now and then and using all that lethal poo poo freely felt like a reward of sorts.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I want a game set in WW2 but everybody is a skeleton.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sleekly posted:

lol there is also a sequence later that reminded me very much of Soulsborne.

floating brains everywhere, ruined cathedral type places, loving gigantic multi-stage bosses featuring a cool form of jolly cooperation

honestly I was glad for the combat sequences. its like hideo knew some of us gotta unleash the beast now and then and using all that lethal poo poo freely felt like a reward of sorts.

Wow i literally did this section before coming to work and i didn't make that connection butv that's a great shout

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uh how do you actually fight mules properly? I had a working strategy of just countering them to death with the strand from the tutorial area which just cataclysmically failed. The camps outside of Port Knot City rushed me twice and both times they were just too many to get them without falling unconscious. That and the spear throwing was getting very out of hand.

Is there some gimmick to them?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wait till you have a gun, or ram them with a car. You can hit people with a car once and not kill them, magically.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MiddleOne posted:

Uh how do you actually fight mules properly? I had a working strategy of just countering them to death with the strand from the tutorial area which just cataclysmically failed. The camps outside of Port Knot City rushed me twice and both times they were just too many to get them without falling unconscious. That and the spear throwing was getting very out of hand.

Depends on what tech you've earned so far. Bola Guns were my go-to. Non-lethal grenades work well for any clusters of enemies. If any unarmed MULE approaches they don't take too many punches to KO. But if you pick up any cargo you're willing to let be destroyed (or drop some of your own like a ladder and pick it up) the game allows for powerful and seamless one-shotting enemies by swinging cargo at their heads and then in the slow-mo KO moment, grabbing another package out of mid-air and repeating it for the next guy. Throwing cargo also works.

And then of course there's also the option to stealth through the camp taking out enemies to whittle down their numbers before full-on combat starts or even stealthing the whole camp.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

MiddleOne posted:

Once you get to Act 3 and meet the Craftsman, you unlock the Bola gun, which makes them much easier to deal with. 'Til then, just move fast and stay away.

grate deceiver posted:

I'm having a pretty annoying issue that is harshing my vibe.

Seems like whenever I'm driving a vehicle, the game pauses frequently to load some assets. At first I thought it's a memory issue and maybe I'm going faster than it's able to load terrain, but after some testing it looks like it only happens when I get to close to a settlement/bunker. In the wilderness I can drive for days with no issues. If I dismount just before a bunker and approach on foot, it's fine. But if I drive a bike, it can pause even up to three times - once when I get close, once by the entrance, and once when going down the ramp.

I had this. Do you have Memory for Streaming (in graphics options) set to High? It went away completely after I turned it down to Default. Haven't seen one single hitch since then.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Krazyface posted:

I had this. Do you have Memory for Streaming (in graphics options) set to High? It went away completely after I turned it down to Default. Haven't seen one single hitch since then.

I think I set it to high after this started happening, thinking it would help. I'll try the other way around.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I tried playing this back in November when it first came out on PS4, played all the way to episode 3, and then stopped for some reason.

Picked it up a week ago on PC and it's all I've played since I finished TLOU2. I'm absolutely loving building infrastructure to make the part of the game I'm barely touching at the moment easier. I built the entire section of highway from the Distribution Center South of Lake Knot City right up to the BT area outside Mama's lab. Then realized you don't need materials, just bandwidth to build ziplines, so I built a network of them from South Knot City to the Distribution Center South of Lake Knot City and over to the Junk dealer, Film Director, and Chiral Artist's Studio.

I'm having bandwidth problems now, but I guess to get to the point, my network is sweet, why is no one liking it? :ohdear:

What mechanism decides who gets roads/ziplines/etc shared in their game? It'd be really sweet not to pave the way to Mountain Knot all by myself, but I'll do it for the happy chemicals the like sting gives me when people use my roads.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you want to free up bandwidth, all other things being equal, you could lengthen the amount of distance some of your zip anchors go and therefore use fewer of them. Or eliminate ones that are the closest to each facility so it's less convenient but gives you more to use to expand the network in general.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

I did once, just on the starter bike and was burning energy my first time trying to get over the wind farm edge on bike and back. Luckily it died right before a bridge, so I was able to coast to its power range, then I was able to ramp down and use the speed to reach my generator by the west distribution center.

Hipster Occultist posted:

The writing is also kinda bad, the plot is easily the weakest part of this game. While the performances are relatively solid given that this is some good acting talent involved, the diolague is often pretty goddamn hammy. And the metaphors, dear lord the metaphors. They're far too simple (and less clever than the writing thinks they are) and drastically over-explained. It'd flow a lot better if Kojima just trusted his audience to get it with needing to explain it.

My goddamn eyes almost rolled out of my end when I saw that the social media device was loving handcuffs

So far I haven't hated the writing/story, but I do hate how I can tell that it's one of those deals where 99% of the mystery and intrigue is simply stuff they haven't explained to me yet, presumably stuff Sam would know himself anyway. IDK, just not a big fan on when a story hinges on the reader arbitrarily having known info withheld from them.

I do dislike a few characters so far. Ludens fan is annoying, just something cringe about the way he talks. Doesn't help the first time I showed up he's all "aw man youre the fuckin best, i mucho appreciate it wow i cant believe how cool and tough you are doing that, fuckin cool man!" Maybe I just don't like looking into that dude's dead eyes. Speaking of, does every freaking delivery-point/base just have some middle-aged dude in charge of distribution? First 3-4 were white dudes, just recently unlocked an extremely unimpressed black dude. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed he got all of these average looking dudes to get scanned for his game and all and managed to resist turning them all into Quiets.

I don't like Fragile so far, but it's 100% because of her cryptobiote thing. First time? Cool, introduce us to eating da buggies, maybe some people find eating a bug to be shocking/freaky/unusual/whatever...fine-- but she does it basically every time she shows up in a scene! Once twice in the scene, does she get a kickback every time she sponsors the things, is she trying to get Sam addicted to them? It's also just loving weird and rude to wake someone up, by offering them food you're shoving in their face before they can even really wake up.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Doesn't help the first time I showed up he's all "aw man youre the fuckin best, i mucho appreciate it wow i cant believe how cool and tough you are doing that, fuckin cool man!"

I have bad news for you

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The floating carriers are extremely good you can put like 300kgs on two separate carriers, link them up and sprint full speed through rocky areas with your speed rig.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Wait till you have a gun, or ram them with a car. You can hit people with a car once and not kill them, magically.

You can hit them with bike, you just need to be fast and anticipate their attempts to dodge, if not, you can get shocked off bike. Just got to the MULE island segment of the game though so Im sure I'll get proper tools soon enough. Right now someone left a level 3 skeleton at the share locker you unlock skellies at and I've just been sprinting through their areas. I did try using one of the decoy packages but I was already running away from several people so it didn't work as I hoped.

I got a question about the BTs and the hemo grenades. I know if I direct-hit a 'unaware' BT it dies immediately. However, if you just get them with the AoE they kind of just writhe a bit and will still be an obstacle. Seems like once they're aware of you actively you have to chuck several to get them to die. Chucking them at them when they already coalesce into the freaky hell water corpses mass it takes even more hits to make em chill. Anyway to get your bike out of black goo btw? I just reloaded when it happened, didn't see a way to ride or dig it out.

Oh yeah and big spoiler question. It's too late now, I've already killed several, but I haven't even tried my poopoo and peepee grenades yet... but is there a "thing" depending on how many or if you kill BTs or not? AFAIK MGS3 was basically the only videogame in history to really care all that much about if you murder ppl or not, but still, every Kojima game I habitually avoid killing just in case (and also because avoiding killing is usually fun). I've knocked out a few MULEs but haven't killed anyone. Just curious if I get a gold star or something iof I get through the game without murdering hella BTS/MULES

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

I have bad news for you

Oh? What do you mean?

I know everyone slobs your knob for being the taskrabbit and all but idk just didn't feel genuine coming from him. Or maybe it was genuine and that dude is just sucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's because the Ludens Fan is Geoff Keighley, and he's not actually talking to Sam (he's talking to his best bro Kojima).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I do dislike a few characters so far. Ludens fan is annoying, just something cringe about the way he talks. Doesn't help the first time I showed up he's all "aw man youre the fuckin best, i mucho appreciate it wow i cant believe how cool and tough you are doing that, fuckin cool man!" Maybe I just don't like looking into that dude's dead eyes. Speaking of, does every freaking delivery-point/base just have some middle-aged dude in charge of distribution? First 3-4 were white dudes, just recently unlocked an extremely unimpressed black dude. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed he got all of these average looking dudes to get scanned for his game and all and managed to resist turning them all into Quiets.

I don't like Fragile so far, but it's 100% because of her cryptobiote thing. First time? Cool, introduce us to eating da buggies, maybe some people find eating a bug to be shocking/freaky/unusual/whatever...fine-- but she does it basically every time she shows up in a scene! Once twice in the scene, does she get a kickback every time she sponsors the things, is she trying to get Sam addicted to them? It's also just loving weird and rude to wake someone up, by offering them food you're shoving in their face before they can even really wake up.

Ludens Fan was a little bit of a dudebro, as was Musician. There are a few lady preppers out there in the Central region though I think all the Cities and DCs are staffed by men.

Something about Fragile’s smile was a little off putting for me and the close ups of bug eating were kinda eeeeh too but it was survivable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Oh yeah and big spoiler question. It's too late now, I've already killed several, but I haven't even tried my poopoo and peepee grenades yet... but is there a "thing" depending on how many or if you kill BTs or not? AFAIK MGS3 was basically the only videogame in history to really care all that much about if you murder ppl or not, but still, every Kojima game I habitually avoid killing just in case (and also because avoiding killing is usually fun). I've knocked out a few MULEs but haven't killed anyone. Just curious if I get a gold star or something iof I get through the game without murdering hella BTS/MULES [/spoiler]

I think it tracks your stats for BT kills but there’s no achievement for it. Later on you will get a tool that gives you a different way to handle them.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I'm having a post game issue. It's spoiler free, but I'll tag the locations. I'm trying to get back the timed delivery from Timefall Farm to Lake Knot City so I can level up. Over the past 2 days since I successfully made the delivery I've played about 10 hours, completed all deliveries from Timefall Farm and many going to it. I've wanted time preventing structure decay, and completed random deliveries elsewhere. I've tested in a room a dozen times. And there have been no deliveries available at Timefall Farm for over 48 real world hours.

What is the trigger I am missing so I can get this delivery available again? I'm on PS4 if that affects anything. I'm so close to the platinum, and this delivery is the only major thing in the way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ok cool, I won't be shy about using the tools available to me then!

Midjack posted:

Ludens Fan was a little bit of a dudebro, as was Musician. There are a few lady preppers out there in the Central region though I think all the Cities and DCs are staffed by men.

Something about Fragile’s smile was a little off putting for me and the close ups of bug eating were kinda eeeeh too but it was survivable.

The bugs seem yummy, would eat one. It's more that she's always doing it in a way like "oh-ho look at me aren't I being so veird right now?" But in-universe it's just a normal food for SAM and also IRL bugs can be eaten, so her always trying to wake you up with it or whatever just seems like she wants to be acknowledged for doing this mundane thing, and even if bug eating super creeps you out, by the fifth time... surely the novelty of shock has worn off.

Something about her render is a little freaky too, like maybe her skin is just a little too translucent? Maybe it would help if I knew the actress' previous work. Then again, still never enjoy it when sitting in private room and accidentally mash "b" too much and Sam lunges at the camera to point at his GI Joes.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Oh? What do you mean?

I know everyone slobs your knob for being the taskrabbit and all but idk just didn't feel genuine coming from him. Or maybe it was genuine and that dude is just sucks.

Yea, p much all the everyone is varied degrees of weird, especially those based on real people can be a bit jarring. But it kinda fits with humanity being stuck isolated in underground bunkers.

And what people are saying about the plot being dumb is absolutely true. It's a bunch of nonsense mashed together pop-sci and pseudoscience tropes that Kojima half-rememberd from a dream he once had. The writing is overwrought and hammy. But god drat it's a juicy glistening piece of ham that I just want to touch all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Silly question for those who have completed the game

which chapter does the cutscene factor really ramp up in? I'm just at the start of chapter 10 and if its gonna be soon I'd rather put it down now but if its one of the later chapters I'm gonna push on through