Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I honestly wish they had gone all in on the boss battle system those are way more fun and have interesting strategic elements the regular battles lack.

It doesn’t help that the regular battles get repetitive quickly. I’m already at the point where I actively avoid them and only mid blue streamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The only problem I'd see with that route is making random encounters take way too long, even if they found a way to simplify the ring down for it. I do agree though, the boss fights are absolutely the best highlights of the battle system and everytime I fight a new boss I'm entertained how how they gently caress with the board and force me to adapt.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its always the sliding the kills me, circles are just fine but sliding breaks my brain especially with large numbers of enemies everywhere.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I admit post purple streamer I'm burning a lot of coins on toads assistance during battles. At 500 coins it's usually close to a net 0 coin loss.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BurgerQuest posted:

Its always the sliding the kills me, circles are just fine but sliding breaks my brain especially with large numbers of enemies everywhere.

This is what's getting me too. Like I pay the toads and they slide an enemy row up or down one and I can solve the rest no problem.

Makes me feel real dumb afterwards because the first step is so simple in hindsight.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well the Green Streamer boss certainly wasn't kidding about ending your existence if you break the cover. Naturally the absolute first thing I did was make a path into a 1000-Fold Arms circle and immediately break the cover. I got my due recompense for that alright.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LeafyOrb posted:

I honestly wish they had gone all in on the boss battle system those are way more fun and have interesting strategic elements the regular battles lack.

It doesn’t help that the regular battles get repetitive quickly. I’m already at the point where I actively avoid them and only mid blue streamer.

For what it's worth Yellow streamer battles start introducing enemies with slightly different gimmicks that make things a little more obtuse

Purple I don't even remember doing normal fights

Green goes batshit with all the new stuff it throws at you and became the 'toss 200 coins at toads please show me the first step what is going on'

Second half of green and to the end of the game was just 'okay this is actually hard'

Honestly I think this game has the potential to be the hardest in the series if there was a way to make it so the toads didn't top you off for throwing them a single coin. Mentioned it before but it's way to easy to go "okay I need help with a puzzle show me the first step" and they negate several turns worth of damage just for hitting cheer. I only used mushrooms on the overworld and in one boss fight that I think was more endurance than anything because of it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Double posting due to story spoilers here but reflecting on it, the stuff right after Green Streamer is really weird.

Bobby is a good character, you get attached to him and when he pulls out his friends fuse and kills himself it's heartbreaking. Bob-ombs having short lives is supposed to be normal but it clearly fucks with Mario and Olivia a lot. I joked to myself that 'man playing mario maker where I kill them just to set something off is gonna be a lot different feeling now."
When you get the airship and all the bob-ombs come out and get labeled as "bobby" because Olivia is dumb I kinda scoffed... only to man the guns and just rapid fire them out of a canon genociding a entire squadron of them. Like I could just fire bob-ombs into nothing just to kill one of them. When the game makes a big deal out of them being hard dead from it, having a minigame where you kill a bunch for fun seems weirdly tone deaf. Couldn't they of just like, used bullet bills or something??

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can see why people bounce off the ring system, but I don't think it's the mechanics themselves that are bad. There's certainly more potential there that can be realized, not like with SS and CS' systems. Bosses really showcase this and are by far the highlight. They're actually really flexible on how you can manipulate the arena, giving you a ton of room to strategize and not demanding you find this one optimal solution.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

lmao at (cutscene before the final boss) "If you've seen one Toad, you've seen them all! They're all the same to me!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Procrastine posted:

lmao at (cutscene before the final boss) "If you've seen one Toad, you've seen them all! They're all the same to me!"

Yeah, the final boss' motivation being "I didn't like one Toad and so they all suck and are the same thing and I wish I could erase them from existence" is amazingly on the nose.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Chapter 4 is literally Wind Waker, and I love it. :allears:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I'm ordinarily stubborn as hell about using hint systems in games but around the time I jumped into a ? block that was quite literally like arbitrary unit 37 of 143 in 'grass plain' if you split its screen into a grid and simultaneously had a toad tell me 'better pull out your radar and get to work in the wheat fields, gently caress-o' I realized this was a really stupid thing to do

4/5 secrets are signposted in at least some fashion and I'll still be as thorough as I can be about an area on a first and second pass before I bust those helpers out for the leftovers but don't be me, the game actively begs you not to

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Ok, gently caress this game show.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

This toad was ahead of his time.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Araxxor posted:

I can see why people bounce off the ring system, but I don't think it's the mechanics themselves that are bad. There's certainly more potential there that can be realized, not like with SS and CS' systems. Bosses really showcase this and are by far the highlight. They're actually really flexible on how you can manipulate the arena, giving you a ton of room to strategize and not demanding you find this one optimal solution.

I'm still early but I like it as an attempt at making the JRPG random encounter busywork more engaging? I don't know if it quite works but since enemies seem to die more quickly it's more interesting to spin the ring and jump on the goombas than to just jump on the goombas 2-3 times.

As I get further in though I can see this getting really old, especially as they start reusing puzzles.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The thing about the ring system that hurt the absolute most, and I'm genuinely really upset about is the stuff in the Green Streamer's second half

They litter paper enemies onto the battleground that you have to avoid striking and I think that's a fun challenge! Then there's the genuinely creepy as gently caress cut-out soldiers that have their own curling mechanic and whatnot. But they each last like 5 minutes and then those enemy types/concepts never get used again. I still don't understand the child cut outs because I didn't have any time to really learn how to use the rings to unfold them.
Also man their attack just being a little baby kick is kind of a let down for how spooky they are :v: least the super lanky creep rear end ones spook the poo poo out of you if they get to attack.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I wandered back into town before starting Shogun Studios to see if there was any new gear and I accidentally stumbled into Wind Waker and these configurations are loving terrifying

https://i.imgur.com/AV6Z5Aw.mp4

I don't know which streamer this is but I sure hope it's the last one or I don't think my brain is going to be okay

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Tender Bender posted:

I'm still early but I like it as an attempt at making the JRPG random encounter busywork more engaging? I don't know if it quite works but since enemies seem to die more quickly it's more interesting to spin the ring and jump on the goombas than to just jump on the goombas 2-3 times.

As I get further in though I can see this getting really old, especially as they start reusing puzzles.

They add some wrinkles with different enemies. I just finished the yellow streamer and I still like the battles, I don't think they're much better or worse than a typical RPG battle at the end of the day. I'm really enjoying the game overall though.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
My philosophy with the battles has just been to jump into them whole hog as an action puzzler and I've been enjoying it on those merits honestly.

it feels genuinely satisfying to get each configuration's perfect solve and I've definitely been stubborn about it for trickier ones just because I want to figure out a solution for its own sake, like with the above example where I may or may not have spent what I earned in bought time

and I do like that if I can't be assed, I can just deal with it like a pleasant-enough simple rpg system that's reasonably snappy. the timed hits on guarding attacks is definitely the highlight as far as mario rpg stuff goes since there's a litany of them for each enemy and amount of enemy and the animations are cute and cheeky in terms of timing. plus if I REALLY can't be assed I can always buy my way to victory which is funny

with all of that in the mix I feel like the amount of battling has been appropriate and doesn't repeat its puzzles too often. it helps that you can avoid a good 70% of encounters and you get the whole 'auto-defeat weak targets' progression checkpoints for toad and ? block hunting revisits

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

robot roll call posted:

They add some wrinkles with different enemies. I just finished the yellow streamer and I still like the battles, I don't think they're much better or worse than a typical RPG battle at the end of the day. I'm really enjoying the game overall though.

Honestly I don't think there is a significantly large difference between Origami King and a lot of modern combat systems. It actually feels a fair bit like something like Persona where the goal is to daisy-chain attacks together to give the enemies the bare minimum amount of attack time. Theoretically battles might be a bit longer than Persona if you're solving a puzzle but that's the key there: If they are taking longer it is because you're interacting with the mechanics.

There are places they could have shortened things a little bit but the core system is pretty interesting and they come up with quite a few ways to make the concept stand out more. The boss battles are obviously the highlight but honestly I think it'd be pretty cool if they evolved this system for the next one rather than going back to the drawing board.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a way for me to know which enemies I am now able to defeat instantly from the overworld?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argue posted:

Is there a way for me to know which enemies I am now able to defeat instantly from the overworld?

Mostly it's just memorization. Enemies don't get stronger so if you can oneshot a Goomba in the first area you can in the last area. There are some rare exceptions like when more powerful enemies appear in their damage pools but usually that happens with stronger-looking enemies.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I don't think there is a significantly large difference between Origami King and a lot of modern combat systems. It actually feels a fair bit like something like Persona where the goal is to daisy-chain attacks together to give the enemies the bare minimum amount of attack time. Theoretically battles might be a bit longer than Persona if you're solving a puzzle but that's the key there: If they are taking longer it is because you're interacting with the mechanics.

There are places they could have shortened things a little bit but the core system is pretty interesting and they come up with quite a few ways to make the concept stand out more. The boss battles are obviously the highlight but honestly I think it'd be pretty cool if they evolved this system for the next one rather than going back to the drawing board.

Same. Unlike with SS and CS, which were basically worse versions of 64 and TTYD's systems, I feel like there are more interesting places to take this system, and it'd be a real shame if they just threw this one out for the next game.

Finished off the purple streamer. I love how they ended it off with basically the Tower of the Gods, and the boss fights here were also great. Also don't ignore chest panels in boss fights unless you want a bad time. They start getting pretty important. And it's one of the core mechanics of the Tape Dispenser battle.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Finished blue streamer and Shogun studios, lol that whole segment rocks. Huge smile on my face.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I usually dislike desert levels a lot, but this game managed to make it huge and super pretty.
Man, this game is so good. I don't wanna play it when my bf's not home because he's also super into it, so I just keep looking for Toads and doing stuff, and it's all super neat! Also I keep coming back to the first area and checking in on that one house to see if Toad came back.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

The finale is extremely underwhelming, especially because Olivia’s sacrifice is the result of stupidity rather than nobility. Had she added literally three words (“except for me”) to her wish, she’d be fine. I don’t understand why the writers felt that made sense for her character. Huey’s sacrifice was at least a logical extension of the plot. And the final boss fight felt extremely easy, especially after the last few Stationery folks.

Still a really good game, and probably my favorite or second-favorite of the series (behind Color Splash), but the whole last act has left sort of a blah taste in my mouth.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

You've literally explained the problem in your text.

The complex ones are fun to solve, for you.

If they're not, then the simple puzzles are 20 seconds of tooling around to defeat a trivial encounter for the benefit of potentially more complex puzzles, which aren't fun either. There are a lot of complex puzzles where i look at them, think "I dunno" dump things into a couple of lines and then dump fire flowers to win.
Hey, don't take it to mean i actually solve all of them. I'm also pretty bad at them, but i enjoy staring at the rings when it seems like a completely impossible layout, and when it sometimes actually clicks it feels really good. And when it doesn't click, that's fine too because then i get to think about the most advantageous lineup i *can* get them into and what weapons and items i could use to minimize damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This part of the game is basically a horror game and I love it.

What the actual gently caress is with that Buzzy Beetle? Seeing that after seeing the remains of Bowser's minions was sure something. :catstare:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the final boss' motivation being "I didn't like one Toad and so they all suck and are the same thing and I wish I could erase them from existence" is amazingly on the nose.
I'm absolutely certain someone has already made a "King Olly Did Nothing Wrong" joke.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Another way the finale could have been more palatable: have the Origami Craftsman reveal that the reason no one had ever tried the 1,000 crane technique is that it might destroy whoever folded the last one. Mario steps in to sacrifice himself, but then Olivia stops him saying that she learned from Bobby that we have to make an impact, etc. It’s not perfect, but it would have let Nintendo have their proverbial sacrifice cake and eat it too.

EDIT: Or, better yet: the Olly crane flies off and Olivia tells Mario she’s seen so a lot of the world with him but there’s still so much left! And then she sets off the look for her brother. The credits photos have Mario catching up with her in the various locales from the game.

I’m probably thinking about this too much, but the finale just gets more ludicrously stupid as it sits in my head.

oneforthevine fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 22, 2020

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Does anybody know if the Legendary Hammer ever breaks, or if it does you can get more?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

LiefKatano posted:

Does anybody know if the Legendary Hammer ever breaks, or if it does you can get more?

Yes and yes

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

oneforthevine posted:

The finale is extremely underwhelming, especially because Olivia’s sacrifice is the result of stupidity rather than nobility. Had she added literally three words (“except for me”) to her wish, she’d be fine. I don’t understand why the writers felt that made sense for her character. Huey’s sacrifice was at least a logical extension of the plot. And the final boss fight felt extremely easy, especially after the last few Stationery folks.

Still a really good game, and probably my favorite or second-favorite of the series (behind Color Splash), but the whole last act has left sort of a blah taste in my mouth.

also i could absolutely see her being too dumb to think of adding "except for me" clause.

"where did the rest of this magic circle come from?" she asks, after being with Mario as he stood on a panel containing the rest of the circle hammering his way through a sliding ice puzzle

I love her usually but none of those origami folds made it into her brain

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I forget, did Sticker Star do that as well? It might be a story beat they're attached to for whatever reason.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Violen posted:

I wandered back into town before starting Shogun Studios to see if there was any new gear and I accidentally stumbled into Wind Waker and these configurations are loving terrifying

https://i.imgur.com/AV6Z5Aw.mp4

I don't know which streamer this is but I sure hope it's the last one or I don't think my brain is going to be okay

It cracks me up to see coin totals so high. Do things cost a ton of coins or do they just give you a bunch with nothing to ever spend em on and it piles up?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Khanstant posted:

It cracks me up to see coin totals so high. Do things cost a ton of coins or do they just give you a bunch with nothing to ever spend em on and it piles up?

Equipment winds up being like 10-15k by the end of it, some trophies cost 20k, the Princess Peach trophy alone is 70k

E: I have no idea how you get that rich that early in the game though :stare:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Khanstant posted:

You absolutely use the coins, both in battle and in shops

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Yeah, the numbers are huge but they do a fairly good job at making sure that coins are meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You'll pile them up like crazy if you don't buy trophies though. But then, if you've got dragonpiles of cash, why not spend them on trophies?