Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Doltos posted:

I grew up there for four years it's a basketball crazy area. It's also full of rich people and rich rear end corporations, not to mention a poo poo ton of military bases and industry around that. Virginia's rapidly growing and up there with the big boys of NY, PA, and Florida. It's also turning into a huge transplant area so college loyalty isn't as strong as it used to be, same with Raleigh.

One day there might even be a Delaware team. East coast beast coast.

Yeah, I didn't mention it the other day when I was tilted, but I actually did too. I grew up in Norfolk and there would definitely be support for an NBA team. I think there are fears that the military might pull out and cripple the area, but who knows whether that would actually happen. A team in Williamsburg could potentially pull Richmond and the seven cities, but I think SEVA could support a team. People in that area are pretty jaded about the prospect though.

edit: top of page content

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The navy isn’t going anywhere that Port is ludicrous

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Expand to Seattle and Vegas (or KC), move Minnesota to the Eastern conference under the Central Division. 32 teams gives you a nice "half in half out" balance to the playoffs.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Don't expand imo

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

make a seattle team then let metapod personally steal it

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lockback posted:

Minnesota has like 5 Eastern teams within 600 mile flight and 0 Western. I mean, look at the map. Memphis might be a bit further east but them and NO are WAYY closer to Texas teams. Memphis and NO are generally closer to Western teams than Eastern teams.

http://www.stadium-maps.com/sports-maps/national-basketball-association.html

It's that and in football and baseball there are very well established rivalries with Wisconsin, Chicago and Detroit.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

THIS ROSTER SPOT COULD HAVE BEEN LUKA, VLADE

IT COULD HAVE BEEN LUKA

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Pls move the Mavs East. It makes no sense but it’d be nice to be on that side of the playoff bracket.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Move to STL please I can go to games

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1285752766523232258?s=21

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iix2iRRyUKo&t=203s

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Good, Zygi Wilf owns. He's a total sleezebag slum lord that actively fucks over everyone he's ever worked with but he puts it all into the Vikings because he loves sports.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If you expand to 32 teams, do you keep the same number of playoff teams, or do you add a bonus team that barnstorms both conferences in the playoffs until it accumulates 6 losses

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doltos posted:

Good, Zygi Wilf owns. He's a total sleezebag slum lord that actively fucks over everyone he's ever worked with but he puts it all into the Vikings because he loves sports.

Honestly, yeah. And he absolutely wouldn't move the team.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Five 6-team divisions like sbnation proposed

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/26/7280545/nba-schedule-reform-regions-map-playoffs

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

If you expand to 32 teams, do you keep the same number of playoff teams, or do you add a bonus team that barnstorms both conferences in the playoffs until it accumulates 6 losses
Same number of playoff teams

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
In season regional tournaments the top 5 winners get into the playoffs with the best record non winner getting the sixth slot. Bottom 4 runner ups play in to make it 8 seeded. That gives the NBA two wildcard games which would get massive ratings and three rounds of 4 game series with the top 8 teams. Less games would also mean less injury fatigue in the playoffs. That model would also support 10 more expansion teams which will probably be needed over the next 50 or so years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Even asking this is going to sound like blasphemy to some posters, so apologies in advanced. Which player would you rather have play their entire career for your favorite team, Kobe Bryant or Chris Paul?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spacebump posted:

Even asking this is going to sound like blasphemy to some posters, so apologies in advanced. Which player would you rather have play their entire career for your favorite team, Kobe Bryant or Chris Paul?

Kobe wasn't a dirty player/whiny bitch so him

I guess you could probably argue the second part if you wanted to but certainly not on the level of Paul

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lmao

https://twitter.com/ESPNLosAngeles/status/1285767791383990273

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

A clear sign that no one from SBNation has ever driven or flown to Utah or Texas from Arizona is them constantly sticking Arizona teams in with teams that take 2 hours or 14 hours of driving to get to instead of LA teams that take 30 minute flights or 6-8 hours of driving to get to.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just move the Suns to Austin already Sarver clearly hates Phoenix on a personal level

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Love KG but he kind of seems like he’d suck as an owner. Others can probably speak to this better but I remember his backseat GMing being real bad

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1285784158552326144?s=19

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Expand to Seattle and Vegas (or KC), move Minnesota to the Eastern conference under the Central Division. 32 teams gives you a nice "half in half out" balance to the playoffs.

If they expand and Big Boi and I don’t get a team in Pittsburgh we will know that 2 teams is 0 net teams

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Add Seattle and Vegas, move Minnesota to the East
32 teams in 8 divisions of 4 (like the NFL)

West

Golden State/Sacramento/Portland/Seattle
Lakers/Clippers/Phoenix/Vegas
Utah/Denver/OKC/Memphis
Dallas/Houston/San Antonio/New Orleans

East

Philly/New York/Brooklyn/Boston
Minnesota/Chicago/Milwaukee/Indiana
Detroit/Cleveland/Toronto/Washington
Miami/Orlando/Charlotte/Atlanta

Play every team home and away - 62 games
Play the teams in your division an extra home and away series - 6 more games
Play every non-division team in your conference once more (6 home/6 road split) - 12 more games

80 game schedule, 1280 regular season games total (30 more games than the current schedule)

8 teams from each conference go into a 1-16 inter conference playoff bracket. If you win your division you automatically get into the playoffs but have no seeding guarantee (e.g. you could be the 16th seed even if you won your division).

Make me commissioner! (actually don't it seems like a hard job)

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 22, 2020

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

DeimosRising posted:

If they expand and Big Boi and I don’t get a team in Pittsburgh we will know that 2 teams is 0 net teams

Hey now, theres already a "net" team ;)

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

Since my favorite team is the Rockets, I would lean Chris Paul. Kobe would've made those early 2000s Stevie Franchise teams a lot better. Not like contender better, but better to the point where they never get Yao. Now a hypothetical Yao/Kobe team would've ruled in the years Yao stayed healthy for the playoffs. A Kobe/T-Mac team would've been some peak mid 2000s iso ball that got wrecked by the Spurs every year. The problem is that by the time Harden was available, Kobe would be washed and overstaying his welcome at the wrong position.

Chris Paul's career lines up much more nicely with the Rockets timeline. By 2008, he would've been good enough to put that awesome Ron Artest team over the top even with T-Mac and Yao going down. The post Yao/pre-Harden teams would've been Hornets-level competitive at least, and given that Paul/Harden experiment worked really well for one year, it's hard to imagine that duo not winning a championship in 8+ tries, especially if they still got a couple decent Dwight years in there.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Spacebump posted:

Chris Paul wasn't a rapist, so him.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Vinestalk posted:

What teams would be likely to move though?

No team is moving East to West without an expansion team. And probability of an expansion team is gotta be real low for a long time.

So, other than the Twolves, I think it's just the Suns? Sarver has talked about moving the team but I think he's full of hot air.

the suns would fit the bill yeah

Spacebump posted:

chris paul and it’s not close

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Same number of playoff teams

yeah this makes the most sense since as things are more than half the teams in the nba make the playoffs every season and 1 vs 8 tends to be sacrificial lambs anyway; i wouldn’t be surprised to see the nba add in a play-in game/series of 3 for the eighth seed for the added playoff revenue in the event there were 32 teams though

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
All scrimmages will be on league pass, some on NBA TV

Wednesday, July 22
Orlando Magic vs. LA Clippers (3 p.m.)
Washington Wizards vs. Denver Nuggets (3:30 p.m.)
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Brooklyn Nets (7 p.m.)
Sacramento Kings vs. Miami Heat (8 p.m.)

Thursday, July 23
San Antonio Spurs vs. Milwaukee Bucks (3 p.m.)
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Indiana Pacers (3:30 p.m.)
Dallas Mavericks vs. Los Angeles Lakers (7 p.m.)
Phoenix Suns vs. Utah Jazz (8 p.m.)

Friday, July 24
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Philadelphia 76ers (3:30 p.m.)
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Boston Celtics (5 p.m.)
Houston Rockets vs. Toronto Raptors (7:30 p.m.)

Saturday, July 25
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Orlando Magic (12 p.m.)
Milwaukee Bucks vs. Sacramento Kings (12:30 p.m.)
Miami Heat vs. Utah Jazz (4 p.m.)
Brooklyn Nets vs. San Antonio Spurs (4:30 p.m.)
LA Clippers vs. Washington Wizards (8 p.m.)
Denver Nuggets vs. New Orleans Pelicans (8:30 p.m.)

Sunday, July 26
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (12 p.m.)
Phoenix Suns vs. Boston Celtics (1:30 p.m.)
Indiana Pacers vs. Dallas Mavericks (4 p.m.)
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Toronto Raptors (6 p.m.)
Houston Rockets vs. Memphis Grizzlies (8 p.m.)

Monday, July 27
Washington Wizards vs. Los Angeles Lakers (3 p.m.)
Sacramento Kings vs. LA Clippers (4 p.m.)
Utah Jazz vs. Brooklyn Nets (5:30 p.m.)
Orlando Magic vs. Denver Nuggets (7 p.m.)
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Milwaukee Bucks (8 p.m.)

Tuesdays, July 28
Memphis Grizzlies vs. Miami Heat (2 p.m.)
Toronto Raptors vs. Phoenix Suns (3 p.m.)
San Antonio Spurs vs. Indiana Pacers (4 p.m.)
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Portland Trail Blazers (6 p.m.)
Boston Celtics vs. Houston Rockets (8 p.m.)
Dallas Mavericks vs. Philadelphia 76ers (8:30 p.m.)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be watching basketball in 6.5 hours

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/TaylorRooks/status/1285709114849538048?s=19

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The funny part is I could see both parties being offended

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

So if I don't have cable tv is it worth buying league pass just for the restart? Or are all of the games considered nationally televised and thus blacked out?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Remembering Ether > Listening to Ether

Anyway, time to compartmentalize all my fear and anxiety because today I Am Watching Basketball.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

a new study bible! posted:

So if I don't have cable tv is it worth buying league pass just for the restart? Or are all of the games considered nationally televised and thus blacked out?

I would just stream these games until at least they count toward the playoffs. This is glorified preseason

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

These games are probably going to be insanely bad until the playoffs.

Kevin Garnett basically is the Minnesota Timberwolves so give them to him imo.

Chris Paul is way more Pistony than Kobe even though Kobe almost got traded here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul’s bad hammy is still the worst playoff injury imho

Not worst in terms of severity but in terms of what it meant