Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Starks posted:

This is literally the textbook example of the term...a major character dying before the opening scene. god drat it goons you're killing me.
I wasn't thinking about it that way. In the context of games I'm used to it always meaning "they drop you in a big battle with mid game powers and then take them away afterwards", which is something that has happened in previous GoW games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Every story is in medias res because it doesn't show the creation of the universe

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Starks posted:

Also thank you to all the many people who PMed me saying that I was right about the FF7 story being confusing and that the acksplode post about me not having object permanence wasn't even that funny. I will be your voice in this thread.

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/620060895209779200?s=20

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
starks is the kind of poster who made one or two sort of dumb posts a while back and instead of admitting to it went "no, that was on purpose. this is who i am now. i will be an idiot forever, on purpose, as a joke"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ShakeZula posted:

https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/1285662288356278272

Best PS4 exclusive bracket, posted by some guy

I went GoW, Spider-Man, Death Stranding, FF7R as my Final 4, with GoW beating Death Stranding for the win

top 5 sony ps4 exclusives for me

1 - Bloodborne
2 - The Last of Us part II
3 - Final Fantasy VII Remake*
4 - The Last Guardian
5 - Uncharted 4

hon. mention - The Last of Us: Remastered, because it currently has the only functioning version of Factions, which I played just as much as many other PS4 titles.

*FF7R was almost #2 but it's a timed exclusive, unless the Xbox version gets cancelled...which is never outside the realm of possibility with that company lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lmfao

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Starks posted:

This is literally the textbook example of the term...a major character dying before the opening scene. god drat it goons you're killing me.

Also thank you to all the many people who PMed me saying that I was right about the FF7 story being confusing and that the acksplode post about me not having object permanence wasn't even that funny. I will be your voice in this thread.

All my friends are just outside the frame...

oh I see I’m not needed here, carry on then

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

starks is the kind of poster who made one or two sort of dumb posts a while back and instead of admitting to it went "no, that was on purpose. this is who i am now. i will be an idiot forever, on purpose, as a joke"

Yeah it's looking a little masochistic. That post felt designed for me to quote it and ask "was that many PMs or just one that you counted as new each time you reopened the tab?"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

If anything I think video games way overuse exposition. When you think about how much of in-game dialogue is purely informational or instructional, it gets kind of maddening.

Sushi Ghost also keeps doing this thing where like 10-15 hours in a random NPC will look like they have a side quest but it’s just them explaining a very simple game mechanic I’ve been using the whole time, like Fox Dens or Bamboo stands

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Why does this guy have a sword in a game called Final Fantasy?!"

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I’m laughing at the idea of Mr Hootington watching Starks do Let’s Plays to judge games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Sushi Ghost also keeps doing this thing where like 10-15 hours in a random NPC will look like they have a side quest but it’s just them explaining a very simple game mechanic I’ve been using the whole time, like Fox Dens or Bamboo stands
It sounds like the game doesn't unlock gameplay options through those kind of conversations. That's dumb as hell when it happens.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I can't wait for the free Blasphemous DLC next month. NG+, new execution animations, and a bunch of new story content. Folk Spanish Catholicism was such a good veneer for a Soulslike.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I can't wait for the free Blasphemous DLC next month. NG+, new execution animations, and a bunch of new story content. Folk Spanish Catholicism was such a good veneer for a Soulslike.

in a surprise crossover, you step out of the first save room and are instantly killed by a skeletal matador

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

in a surprise crossover, you step out of the first save room and are instantly killed by a skeletal matador

buenas dias, sucker.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MeatwadIsGod posted:

wait what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QdGzJhunb4

oh poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

...speaking of FFVIIR, I just did all of Chapter 9. Holy poo poo! That was really long! And also amazing!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the guy complaining about FF7 being confusing is the reason why they had to add a voice over to the beginning of Blade Runner

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The hilarious thing is that most of these questions are in fact answered in that section of the game? Barret has a whole spiel in the elevator and the deal with the "flower girl" is explained by paying attention to the rest of the cutscene because it subtly tells you the information you want to know there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Girl loses flower, looks sad when it gets trampled" = :confused:

We finally have a counterexample to the Kuleshov effect, a century of film theory in the toilet

Edit: good excuse to post this animation analysis of the FF7/FF7R intros, and how much is communicated through the animation (for most people I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoA2B4lb_ro

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 22, 2020

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Girl loses flower, looks sad when it gets trampled" = :confused:

We finally have a counterexample to the Kuleshov effect, a century of film theory in the toilet

Edit: good excuse to post this animation analysis of the FF7/FF7R intros, and how much is communicated through the animation (for most people I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoA2B4lb_ro

I used to teach intro to film theory, and always demonstrated the kuleshov effect by bringing in two tennis balls and slamming them together in midair

being confused about the story of ff7r in the first 30 minutes is exactly like that, but instead you just throw the balls at your own face

edit, because I love this clip and you might be wondering what we're talking about :

https://youtu.be/96xx383lpiI

postmodifier fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 22, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Watching my friend stream Death Stranding on PC I couldn’t stop paying attention to how much exposition there is, explained to Sam like he just arrived in this world, and doesn’t know poo poo about BTs, void outs, timefall, everything. I know it’s hard to explain this stuff to the player, but surely there’s a better way to do it. Obviously when the game gets going the exposition makes more sense because they’re actively researching beaches and whatnot, but it’s pretty awkward when you replay it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

the guy complaining about FF7 being confusing is the reason why they had to add a voice over to the beginning of Blade Runner

Yeah it had to be FF7.

Imagine the reaction if he had tried that poo poo with Spider-Man

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Complete 180 on The Sinking City. I massively overestimated what the side quests would be. Like, the innkeeper gave me a ton of notes that I thought would lead to different interesting stories, but instead they all send me to a different intersection that has a copy pasted apartment full of the same monsters and a sheet of paper. It’s like something you’d get for free on itch.io

The jank is charming, it sets a pretty good vibe and the music is legit good; is the main story better than the side content?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Tsushima looks pretty neat, but I just bought a full price game in TLOU2 and I got other games I already own to get around to. #firstworldproblems

I find that my enjoyment of open world games tends to correlate with how interesting the world itself is to explore even when you're not doing missions - fun movement (Spider-Man), cool environments (Horizon), secrets to find, fun combat encounters, etc. How does GoT stack up in that regard?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah it had to be FF7.

Imagine the reaction if he had tried that poo poo with Spider-Man

Why are we fighting the big bald man?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
TIL I learned something really important about cinematography and I'm grateful but how do the tennis balls figure into it?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Why am I jumping out of my window when I have bills to pay?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Twibbit posted:

Why am I jumping out of my window when I have bills to pay?

do you have money to pay the bills? answer quickly!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

SirSamVimes posted:

Why are we fighting the big bald man?

A spider... man? Is there a prequel that explains how the heck that works?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Starks this morning:

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Samurai Sanders posted:

TIL I learned something really important about cinematography and I'm grateful but how do the tennis balls figure into it?

the kuleshov effect owes much of its genesis to soviet montage theory, specifically sergei eisenstein's formulation of dialectical editing. You can think of most narrative editing like a cue ball on a pool table - you line up your shot and you hit the ball and it moves forward in a predictable fashion.

Shot with meaning leads into and directly informs ----> shot that continues and/or carries over meaning from the previous shot

Soviet film dudes were mad as hell and they weren't gonna take it any more, so instead they came up with a cool editing style where it looks more like this:

shot a (thesis) --> (synthesis) <-- shot b (antithesis)

you slam them into each other, and they careen off in random-rear end directions, to create a new and unique event that is largely up to random association and personal interpretation

so, you know, like two tennis balls colliding in mid-air

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Helheim sure as poo poo didn’t disappoint. This game is just loving nuts.

That absolutely massive bird thing just watching over all the damned souls walking into Helheim is very, very creepy. Also very massive.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I mean, they admitted that they didn’t get to the part where Barrett screams about what they’re doing and the exact reason why and where you can see each character’s motivations clearly. But this post makes it clear they’re just trolling, like, why Control? The story isn’t really hard to understand, and how does beating a random boss (that’s not even a notoriously hard one) prove that you understand the lore lol.

Starks posted:

This is an even worse comparison than citizen kane lol. Control would've been a better game to pick to make your point. Also, I beat the amygdala on my first try, so the implication that I don't "understand" anything about bloodborne is beyond absurd.

But plz, I still want a brief summary of the plot/lore of Bloodborne, because now that you’ve said you didn’t get to the part in FF7 where the plot is explained, I’m now even more confused by this post.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I am enjoying Ghost of Tsushima quite a bit so far. In Typical Sucker Punch fashion it is 1 part beautiful and stylized world to explore, 1 part snappy and satisfying traversal system, 1 part fun and engaging (if a bit overly easy) combat, and 1 part assssss story.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

I am enjoying Ghost of Tsushima quite a bit so far. In Typical Sucker Punch fashion it is 1 part beautiful and stylized world to explore, 1 part snappy and satisfying traversal system, 1 part fun and engaging (if a bit overly easy) combat, and 1 part assssss story.
It doesn't have bogus rear end moral decisions to make that affect what powers and stuff you get does it? I mean, they left that behind with second son and that's super okay with me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Imhotep posted:

I mean, they admitted that they didn’t get to the part where Barrett screams about what they’re doing and the exact reason why and where you can see each character’s motivations clearly.

The funny thing is this is literally 10 minutes into the demo. It goes "fight those two guys" - "basic tutorial fight" - "jessie and wedge give blatant exposition on who Cloud is" - "another tutorial fight" - "Barret's monologue"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The funny thing is this is literally 10 minutes into the demo. It goes "fight those two guys" - "basic tutorial fight" - "jessie and wedge give blatant exposition on who Cloud is" - "another tutorial fight" - "Barret's monologue"

And as I recall roughly 80% of Cloud's dialogue in the demo is some variation on "I am a mercenary who is only here for the money, I don't care about your cause."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lord Hydronium posted:

Tsushima looks pretty neat, but I just bought a full price game in TLOU2 and I got other games I already own to get around to. #firstworldproblems

I find that my enjoyment of open world games tends to correlate with how interesting the world itself is to explore even when you're not doing missions - fun movement (Spider-Man), cool environments (Horizon), secrets to find, fun combat encounters, etc. How does GoT stack up in that regard?

Pretty well. You can just ride around on your horse, following routes to specific locations, or set up waypoints to the nearest collectible that you haven't picked up yet. But often you'll see, like, a fox, or a yellow Bird, and following them will lead you to a location of interest as well, so it's always good to keep your eyes open. Also grabbing materials and such while riding around is as easy as pressing a button without having to get off your horse. Plus the game is absolutely gorgeous, as the screenshots in this thread can attest to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

There have been some pretty spicy trolls lately. Quite a few have made me laugh :) maybe the ps5 reveal has brought some new lurkers? I welcome them all!

The PS5 reveal brought a bunch of people that never posted, said some poo poo and got the gently caress away like trying to start a war on this thread (probably Xbone warriors). Then some nonsensical posters that suddenly are not only experts but try to teach us all how to PS4.

Reminding me about the "Bloodborne in 12 hours for the first time" user made me chuckle.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Starks this morning:

:hmmyes: