Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Aw man this is awesome. Sign me up something dangerous like a scientist or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Drone posted:

Ack, sorry.. I confused you for Virtual Russian for some reason. I meant thread comes up with doctrine via goon hivemind, OP makes the ships that fit the doctrine.

Haha yeah no worries, i figured it was something like that.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

We need a proper name for Adrastapol-B III, which will be our first colony outside Sol.

ChocolatePancake posted:

Aw man this is awesome. Sign me up something dangerous like a scientist or something.

Got you in as a naval officer, I can always reassign you as a scientist if you want. Needed more officers, almost every scientist is named.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Virtual Russian posted:

We need a proper name for Adrastapol-B III, which will be our first colony outside Sol.

Clearly what we need is an awesome name to convince colonists that it's where they want to go and hang out. How about...

Candyland Alpha(thus implying that there will be more Candylands for them to settle)

Also, out of curiosity, I've seen mentions of civilian/private business doing some work. How... self-motivating are they? Like, they seem to do some mining and civilian transport, but can they settle planets on their own initiative? Build their own small corporate defense fleets?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Clearly what we need is an awesome name to convince colonists that it's where they want to go and hang out. How about...

Candyland Alpha(thus implying that there will be more Candylands for them to settle)

Also, out of curiosity, I've seen mentions of civilian/private business doing some work. How... self-motivating are they? Like, they seem to do some mining and civilian transport, but can they settle planets on their own initiative? Build their own small corporate defense fleets?

I'd be down with naming colonies after board games.

Settlement Catan

Twilight Bubble

Monopolis

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nearpoint

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

X Æ A-12

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

They are entirely AI run, left to their own they trade civilian goods between your colonies. Most importantly, they can haul civilian market infrastructure to colonies that need it. I can put in job requests for hauling installations or resources though, for a fee. They cannot settle planets totally on their own, but if you mark a planet for colonization they will charter trips there on their own. They also can harvest fuel. Mining outposts have a small garrison, and have passive sensors, but beyond that civilians are pretty helpless.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Since nobody could agree on just what to name this new world, they settled on the firmly neutral and eminently agreeable name of "Planet"
(it is an Alpha Centauri reference)

Otherwise, in keeping with the 40k themes we've got going on for the stars, perhaps "Malcador"?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ad Astra B

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Earth 2: The Sequel To Earth

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Free T-Shirt planet.

People will flock there in droves.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

ChocolatePancake posted:

Free T-Shirt planet.

I think we have a winner.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

ChocolatePancake posted:

Free T-Shirt planet.

Permission to "Star Wars" up this name a bit with random apostrophes and slightly odd but phonetically similar spellings?

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I like Planet a lot. Idk how rare perfect garden worlds are but they seem rare to me. Perfect name for this rare find.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Permission to "Star Wars" up this name a bit with random apostrophes and slightly odd but phonetically similar spellings?

Absolutely!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DelilahFlowers posted:

I like Planet a lot. Idk how rare perfect garden worlds are but they seem rare to me. Perfect name for this rare find.

Do you want mindworms? Because that is how you get mindworms

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Super Earth

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
@RealEarth☑️

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

General Tacha Romanova has become something of a rising star inside the Terran High Command. The general’s initiative to see the fortification of Europa has been met with resounding support. Resources have also been diverted for the production of two purpose-built Troop Transports. Furthering the General’s meteoric rise from obscurity, is that these vessels are being placed under nominal Army control, in what is being called the Terran Army Space Auxiliary Fleet. Though lacking any offensive power, these ships represent a massive transformation of the abilities and operational scope afforded to the army.

Meanwhile, the Terran Navy’s new ship building program has caused a minor scandal. Having been given a modest budget to produce vessels capable of long range patrol, the Navy has gone significantly over-budget. Compounding this, and causing many heated arguments between the High Command and the Navy, is the fact that none of the vessels being drawn up are capable of performing a patrolling role. However, at this time there is little the High Command can do, the Navy is afforded a great deal of independence, and while this scandal may have slightly diminished its prestige, it remains beyond reproach. Not all criticism is coming from above though, there continues to be ranking officers that quietly voice concern that Admiral Wong Eun-Sook has yet to codify a set naval doctrine relevant to the new paradigms the navy finds itself in.

January 31st, 2103

The end of January sees the much anticipated fuel consumption efficiency increase researched. In recognition of this achievement Fat Samurai is inducted into the prestigious academic order.

Our scientists are immediately set to the task of researching the many components needed to complete the vessels that make up our new naval program. In particular, the strike group required quite a few new parts. We should have all parts researched and the designs all into production within a year and a half.

March 2nd, 2103

NHO is also inducted in the academic order for their contributions to the research behind the latest naval program.

April 3rd, 2103

Civilians have begun a mining operation on a mineral rich asteroid in the furthest reaches of the Sol system. We will be purchasing the minerals directly for use in our naval building program.

Tantalized by reports of a veritable Eden in the Adrastapol system, wealthy prospective colonists have chartered a civilian vessel transport them ahead of the governmental effort. Though well provisioned, these colonists will be cut-off on their own for some time. Without a doubt they will have their pick of colony sites. Behind the scenes, the colonial branch of the Terran Navy was furious with this development. After the civilian development of Luna overshadowed the colonization of Europa, Adrastapol was supposed to be a public relations coup for the Navy. It was also hoped that the colonization of a extra-solar planet could gloss over the recent controversy surrounding misallocated naval funding.

May 8th, 2103

May 8th, 2103 was a momentous occasion for humanity. Having chartered a flight from the Cephalus Transport and Trading Company, private colonists took their first steps on Adrastapol-B III. The world they found was not quite the verdant garden they had heard so much about, but was in fact dominated by a great prairie. Similar to Terra, Adrastapol-B III is mostly ocean, though it is about three-quarters the diameter. As the colonists set to work building their initial settlement, they found the work came easy due to the lighter gravity. One of the colonists with political connections to the Terran High Command, Eclectic Tastes, has declared themselves to be Governor. Lacking any means to protest this, the High Command has opted to allow this self appointment in the interest of not sparking any kind of rebellion.

Having completed research on an upgraded version of our commercial engine, I laid down the first production run of our new civilians ships, both troop transports and sleeper ships. While we wait for our military parts to research I’m undertaking some minor expansions of the shipyards.

June 7th, 2103

Another award!

September 5th, 2103

Our naval building program is well underway now.

January 4th, 2104

January sees a pretty significant budgetary deficit forming, and we haven’t even begun to produce the strike group yet. Fortunately, some of the ships will be finished before those ships begin production. Little happened in the intervening months, work has continued expanding all our existing colonies. As well as we’ve started a small automated mining operation on Adrastapol-B III.

April 3rd, 2104

At last our troop transports have be constructed and launched. We’ve also completed a production run of 200 missiles for the strike group we’ll be creating shortly.
I begin to transport garrison troops and STO batteries to Europa.

May 2nd, 2104

The troops are quickly delivered and begin to fortify Europa. We will now send a small garrison force to Adrastapol, as well as continuing to improve the garrison at Europa.

I renew production of infrastructure on Terra, and also begin researching the next level of engine technology.

May 27th, 2104

At last we have researched all the components needed to begin production on the strike group. We are able to immediately tool for and begin production of the Wyern class scout frigate. Once the current production run of Opportunity class deep space survey vessels is done, I will begin the missile destroyers.

October 20th, 2104

Han International Shipbuilding proudly presents the Terran Navy with three Opportunity class Survey ships in October of 2104. Commanders were quickly assigned, and their momentous assignments given out. These vessels were to travel into the unknown. With a significantly shorter deployment time and range the commanders of these vessels could rest assured they would be seeing Terra again soon.

I am ordering an Opportunity class into each unexplored Jump Point in the Sol System. Whichever system has more planets will receive back-up from the remaining Opportunity.

I have to wait less than a month before I can retool the shipyard to produce Kobold class missile destroyers. We are currently adding an extra slipway to the shipyard, which means we’ll be able to produce four vessels at once here.

(saw and fixed the ship class typo)

November 4th, 2104

Our science vessels leave dock on their inaugural missions, and a slipway is added to Han International Shipbuilding. I begin retooling for the FACs. This will take just over a month to complete.

November 6th, 2104

The DSS Douglas Mawson discovers a nearly empty system on the other side of jump point two, the system is promptly named The Poitot System. Lacking substantial geological bodies, the survey team begin investigating gravitational anomalies in the system.

November 23rd, 2104

The DSS Pierre Savorgan de Brazza, under the command of Commander DelilahFlowers, discovers an empty system on the other side of jump point four, the system is promptly named The Aeolus System. Lacking geological bodies, the survey team begin investigating gravitational anomalies in the system.

Our remaining Opportunity is going to be assigned to Adrastapol to help finish geological surveys and then aid in gravitational surveying.

December 31st, 2104

The year ends seeing the last element of our building program put into production. Though I still plan on making the Colony/freighter ships that tied, fortunately they require no re-tooling of the shipyard.

Our building campaign continues to erode our wealth reserves, but not at an alarming rate. I see no cause to alter course at all right now.

There will be no vote with this update, I’m just going to continue straight on as far as I can before we need to change course. I think one of the things this update shows is how slow building stuff can be, especially if you want to push multiple different designs through one shipyard. Also large ships just take forever, those colony ships (the first laid down) are still being built.

I’m also working on pixel art profiles of our vessels, and will do a mini update soon on all the named characters.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 22, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Do medals have any mechanical effects? And how do I, as a brave survey captain, get some of them?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Do medals have any mechanical effects? And how do I, as a brave survey captain, get some of them?

They can help with promotions, mostly though they are cosmetic. As a surveyor you can get them from discovering jump points, habitable worlds, mineral rich worlds, and new systems.

Also you can get any of the damage related awards if you are shot at/destroyed.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Wow, two empty systems right after 3 good ones. That's some crazy luck.

Thank you for the name drop on the component designs. I like it.

Virtual Russian posted:

May 8th, 2103

May 8th, 2103 was a momentous occasion for humanity. Having chartered a flight from the Cephalus Transport and Trading Company, private colonists took their first steps on Adrastapol-B III. The world they found was not quite the verdant garden they had heard so much about, but was in fact dominated by a great prairie. Similar to Terra, Adrastapol-B III is mostly ocean, though it is about three-quarters the diameter. As the colonists set to work building their initial settlement, they found the work came easy due to the lighter gravity. One of the colonists with political connections to the Terran High Command, Eclectic Tastes, has declared themselves to be Governor. Lacking any means to protest this, the High Command has opted to allow this self appointment in the interest of not sparking any kind of rebellion.

You stole my colony Eclectic Tastes! :argh: I'll never forgive you for this! :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Should we aim to have listening posts in the empty systems, or station scouts with good sensors there?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Listening posts stashed on some random asteroid used to be better, but C# changed how sensor scaling works so it's harder to cover an entire system from one spot.

Tradeoffs:
- Listening posts don't need maintenance, ships will have to come back for overhauls and shore leave
- Listening posts stack. You can add more installations and the sensor gets better.
- Listening posts upgrade for free on tech improvements, ships need to get sensors redesigned
- Ships can hold still and be wherever you want. You can park a ship a few million km off a jump point and it will stay there instead of orbiting away.
- Ships are easier to redeploy when you want to move them

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Can you post the current galaxy map please?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Can you post the current galaxy map please?

Earth has 5 jumpoints and we've only explored 1 deep on each of them.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

An empty system. Proof that aliens exist and have the power to mine stars and asteroids for every scrap of worth. Or obliterate them entirely

Working on any gravitational anomalies that were no doubt created by the aliens.

I will find them

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I propose naming any empty systems "Void-#" to avoid wasting good names on junk systems.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Virtual Russian posted:

One of the colonists with political connections to the Terran High Command, Eclectic Tastes, has declared themselves to be Governor. Lacking any means to protest this, the High Command has opted to allow this self appointment in the interest of not sparking any kind of rebellion.[/i]

Journal Entry, 5/8/2103

The suckers actually bought it! All I said was, "my uncle works at High Command," and the rubes declared me their leader! If it keeps being this easy, I'll be in charge of the whole sector in no time! The government probably only signed off on it so they wouldn't look like they were trying to micromanage a mostly civilian colony, so I've got some sucking up to do if I'm going to make it any further than this. But for now, I'll take a little while to just enjoy my new position of power. Adrastopol-B III is a bit clinical, so I think I'm gonna call this place Adrastapalooza

Journal Entry, 8/5/2103

Holy poo poo I can lift up fuel tanks with one hand here I'm motherfucking Superman this planet rules.

Journal Entry, 11/26/2103

The colonists are doing some sort of recreation of an old American holiday, from back when the former United States wasn't a third-world wasteland. "Thanksgiving", they're calling it. I hear there's a lot of food involved, so I'm in.

Journal Entry, 1/4/2104

Score! The homeworld is setting up a mining installation here, that ought to boost our profile. It's automated, too, so none of my people need to risk their lives down there. There have been some concerns about pollution, but it's just one mining facility, so it shouldn't be a big deal, since it's not like we're flush with industry here.

Journal Entry, 5/2/2104

I don't know if this is good or bad news. A garrison force is on their way to set up shop on my nice, tidy colony. On the one hand, the more of an official presence that's here, the more prominent Adrastapalooza will become. On the other hand, actual military types might realize I'm just winging it here. I need to get my suit pressed, my office cleaned up, and I should probably figure out how taxes work. It's gonna be a long few weeks.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

LLSix posted:

Wow, two empty systems right after 3 good ones. That's some crazy luck.

Thank you for the name drop on the component designs. I like it.

You stole my colony Eclectic Tastes! :argh: I'll never forgive you for this! :v:

If it makes you feel better you have been the Governor of Luna for some time now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Who’s in command of the ground forces going to Adrastapol?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Virtual Russian posted:

Feel free to give me (constructive) feedback on the LP so far. It's my first LP so I'm curious what working and what isn't. I feel like the content hasn't been super engaging yet, but we also haven't really had stuff happen. One thing I'm definitely going to try to fill that void with is info on the named officials.

The title pieces could use some drop shadows or something on the text, they are quite hard to read and would be even worse for anyone with color blindness or anything of the sort.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Just caught this thread off the new LP one, but I'm still trying to catch up (oh god this game is disgustingly detailed.) I wanted to get a dorfing request in though.

I'd like to be a scientist. I don't care what kind, as long as my inevitable death is hilarious.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Saros posted:

The title pieces could use some drop shadows or something on the text, they are quite hard to read and would be even worse for anyone with color blindness or anything of the sort.

Will do, thanks for the tip!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'd also point out that Steve has authorized AuroraMod, so you can change the game color scheme if you want to. There's a link on the Aurora forum.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Oh wow that is super useful. Glad Steve finally relented on at least some amount of mods. Going to finish the current update as is, then I'll figure this mod out and make things ever so much prettier.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Who’s in command of the ground forces going to Adrastapol?

You are now! It was no one before.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What's my scientist up to and, (supplementary qn) why aren't they dead yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Pirate Radar is the commander of the ground forces, on a colony which was founded by our own private citizens jumping the gun with a "chartered" ship.

Well, I guess it's a pirate colony now.