Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

my advice for new players on pc is to get on the brotherhood of goon discord because there are cool people there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Level 2 turrets are what to use. They have a farther range if you worry about npcs attacking. Just plop a couple down pointed in the direction they spawn and you should be fine. A scarecrow supposedly draws enemies towards it.

Display items can eat massive chucks of your camp budget too and god forbid you can make an item a permanent cosmetic that is removed from your stash.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Fuckin game froze on me 3 times. :argh:

Anyways, i dont even bother with turrets anymore. The ones i had didnt do poo poo and ate a ton of camp budget. Im about to get rid of my magazine and bobble head displays too. They were cool for a minute, but meh. Too much budget and id rather build other stuff.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This being free on Gamepass, I finally tried it out - and hey, it's actually not bad. Running around the wasteland in co-op with my brother is fun, building a base is fun, we're having a good time.

But, we have now gotten some quests that are instanced. As far as we can tell, we can't actually complete these together. Either we go into our own separate instances, or we go into one instance but one of us can't actually complete the quest, and we have to run it twice. Please tell me that we're missing an option or doing something wrong, because this seems utterly loving backwards for a co-op game.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Bardeh posted:

This being free on Gamepass, I finally tried it out - and hey, it's actually not bad. Running around the wasteland in co-op with my brother is fun, building a base is fun, we're having a good time.

But, we have now gotten some quests that are instanced. As far as we can tell, we can't actually complete these together. Either we go into our own separate instances, or we go into one instance but one of us can't actually complete the quest, and we have to run it twice. Please tell me that we're missing an option or doing something wrong, because this seems utterly loving backwards for a co-op game.

Nope that’s just how it works.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Big conspiracy theory going around on the pvp groups that Bethesda banned the duper’s because it effected rmt values and that Bethesda is secretly selling weapons on eBay lol.

Their evidence: almost no one who duped during the big present/junk dupe earlier this year got banned.

Alternate theories: Bethesda spent all of their time and effort figuring out how to track weapons after the original tse dupe that they didn’t bother figuring out how to use that same technology to track non weapons.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

i flunked out posted:

Big conspiracy theory going around on the pvp groups that Bethesda banned the duper’s because it effected rmt values and that Bethesda is secretly selling weapons on eBay lol.

Their evidence: almost no one who duped during the big present/junk dupe earlier this year got banned.

Alternate theories: Bethesda spent all of their time and effort figuring out how to track weapons after the original tse dupe that they didn’t bother figuring out how to use that same technology to track non weapons.

Didn't they issue a warning after the Christmas dupe and did a small ban wave with another dupe glitch?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Didn't they issue a warning after the Christmas dupe and did a small ban wave with another dupe glitch?

The warning wasn’t ever really clear, basically the general warning was “were going to make it easier to track duplications”, but the actual method wasn’t clear. The ban wave that came around because of the present/stackable dupe was actually very small, and it was generally focused on people who duped millions of things, and tbh it didn’t even really get all of those people. People were feeling complacent after the stackable/presents dupewave, and a lot of those people weren’t around to see the big banwave that happened because of the tse dupe.

The newest ban wave reference #’s start at around 9,000, and went to over 15,000. Sure some of those tickets were created by people who were experiencing actual bugs and looking for support, and that number was probably more than usual because it was the first weekend of 76 being on game pass, but that’s still a pretty large banwave.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

imagine getting banned for exploiting in a bethesda game. lol

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

After putting off the Wayward quests for so long, I've finally arrived at Foundation. This place is the closest I've seen in the game to being something like one of the big towns from the main Elder Scrolls/Fallout games - it actually has more than a couple of NPCs walking around and a few of them have names.

What was that place like before the Wastelanders update? Did it even exist on the map? And I'm guessing the Overseer was also not real a person either, only existing in audiolog form - I found her home by accident long before doing much of the Overseer's log trail, so that was a surprise.

Can anyone tell me how enemy level distribution/scaling in this works? The area around Vault 76 clearly has low-level enemies, sometimes ranging from 1 to 6 to 16 or whatever, but itsn't clear if the game is spawning them based on players in the area or if they are pre-determined levels. The game also only sometimes bothers to tell you what level interior areas are.

I ask because I once made my way to the temple (Wayward Path?) at around level 25 and found loads of low-level scorched there that I could kill in one shot. But just as I'm finishing exploring the place, a level 150+ player arrives and all of a sudden a bunch of level 60 radioactive ghouls spawn all over the place and instakill me. Did they start an endgame daily quest or something?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Foundation was another workshop that is initially filled with some higher level robots. I remember that one being a pain for me because I had to fight off a sentry bot to claim it.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

ErrEff posted:

I ask because I once made my way to the temple (Wayward Path?) at around level 25 and found loads of low-level scorched there that I could kill in one shot. But just as I'm finishing exploring the place, a level 150+ player arrives and all of a sudden a bunch of level 60 radioactive ghouls spawn all over the place and instakill me. Did they start an endgame daily quest or something?
This was one of the most confusing things when I started playing a couple months ago. The enemy levels are all over the place when a high level person passes through which can really be a problem for lower level players. If the Guided Meditation event kicked off, then it spawns like literally hundreds of max level enemies swarming around. The event is level 25 so you'd think a level 25 person would be able to do it, but that's only if you're the only person there. The first time I went to Whitespring I was getting destroyed by all the max level monsters mixed in with things that were level-appropriate for me. I must have died 9 times in a row.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Yeah, PotWP's event spawns are 'working as intended.' (Read: fucky like Oblivion's leveling system)

And yes, previously the Overseer only existed in audio logs - including the post-game one that shames you for using nukes. There's a reason the game got a lot of poo poo on and post release, you know.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ErrEff posted:

What was that place like before the Wastelanders update? Did it even exist on the map? And I'm guessing the Overseer was also not real a person either, only existing in audiolog form - I found her home by accident long before doing much of the Overseer's log trail, so that was a surprise.

It was a part of the map no one would bother to go to at any point in the game. Also there was a workshop there you could build at.

The overseer was technically an npc and never seen. Even though they had graham from the start so having npcs was possible even at the beginning.

CapnBry posted:

This was one of the most confusing things when I started playing a couple months ago. The enemy levels are all over the place when a high level person passes through which can really be a problem for lower level players. If the Guided Meditation event kicked off, then it spawns like literally hundreds of max level enemies swarming around. The event is level 25 so you'd think a level 25 person would be able to do it, but that's only if you're the only person there. The first time I went to Whitespring I was getting destroyed by all the max level monsters mixed in with things that were level-appropriate for me. I must have died 9 times in a row.

With some power armor and pretty much any weapon around lvl 30, you should be able to kill almost everything in the game. Lvl 30 for rank 1 of enforcer. Enforcer lets you kill everything in the game outside the final boss.

One of the faster ways to lvl up a lvl 1 character near the start of the game was to run right to whitespring golf course. Open the door so all the ghouls would run out to try to murder you then you jump on top of the cars outside and hit them until they explode. The explosion would kill you and the ghouls giving you exp. Server hop to repeat. This would get you to around lvl 21 decently fast.

This game is still full of alot of fuckery that you can do.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 20, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

i flunked out posted:

Nope that’s just how it works.

Oh. What an incredibly strange and frustrating way to design your co-op game.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Wait enforcer still does per pellet? I thought they got rid of that because of the op nature it was in fo4? Does bleed/limb damage follow a similar calculation?

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Check out the map in this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/ajgufp/the_enemy_level_map_included_with_the_game_guide/

The post is about how inaccurate the map is, but it's still good enough to loosely guide you. If you're lower level and don't want to get 1-hit, stick in the regions where the monster level cap is close to yours, such as Forest, Toxic Valley, or Ash Heap. You can find low level monsters in the Savage Divide, but you might run into a brick wall too.

The game doesn't communicate this at all, but your experience will be smoother if you use that map.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

With some power armor and pretty much any weapon around lvl 30, you should be able to kill almost everything in the game. Lvl 30 for rank 1 of enforcer. Enforcer lets you kill everything in the game outside the final boss.
I was around level 30 and not in power armor and would get one or two-shot by the level 68 ghouls swarming at me which made it a little more fun because it was very hard. My comment wasn't that the game is too hard though, just that it was pretty difficult as a low level player because all sense of what area you should be progressing through was thrown out the window when all the enemies have spawned max level.

There is a map that shows the level of the enemies in that area. The left three have limits, but the right three will spawn as high as the players in the area so it is rather abrupt going from just destroying everything I come across to getting my poop pushed in by everything I come across despite the quest content in it being appropriate for my level. Just kind of a dumb compromise for a multiplayer game where 99% of the time players never see each other. EFB.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Prob want to just use power armor because wearing it before DR gives you 42% dmg reduction and then the DR pushes you to near a near immortal god in the game. Level 68 ghouls would take awhile to kill you. You will never gain more hp in this game unless you put points into endurance, so the only thing you can change is DR and using power armor.

You can stop using it later but it gives you such a huge defensive boost it really is invaluable in overcoming the overleveledness of things in the game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 20, 2020

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
The risk is that mob level isn’t necessarily determined by you, so popular spots like white spring can get fubard when some high level has been there recently.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

xxEightxx posted:

The risk is that mob level isn’t necessarily determined by you, so popular spots like white spring can get fubard when some high level has been there recently.
Yeah see this guy gets it. I'm not crying about the fact that I died nine times a month ago, I'm saying the system is silly because it means my level 200 character ruins the gameplay experience for anyone trying to do level-appropriate stuff. Oh would it be fun to do this level 25 event on your level 25? Nope, because I am there you won't do much damage to the high level enemies so unless your idea of fun is trying to just get a single hit in on every enemy so you can get some XP, it's going to be pretty boring. The endgame tarnishes the experience for people playing the game through because the appropriate level character doesn't get to have an impact. Meanwhile, I'm switching to a garbage weapon so I don't one-shot everyone before the low level can tag it, so everyone's experience is degraded by the system.

Sure you can become nearly invincible and someone might even give you some OP weapon too because it is too low level for them, but playing a game on God Mode isn't much fun to me. High level enemies are trivial to high level players so why even make them higher level to exclude level-appropriate characters from contributing? I see what they were going for but it makes a lovely experience for people who only want to play the game through.

There's plenty of other bad decisions but those mostly affect endgame grinds, so it is sad that they also mess with the leveling experience for no real gain for the endgamers. Especially considering the rewards are often scaled down even though the monsters were scaled up.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The enemy scaling issue is something that Bethesda is trying to address with the Fall "One Wasteland" update, where all players will essentially deal/take the same damage against all enemies and enemy leveling is invisible/irrelevant. As a result, the benefits of leveling up will mainly come from perk cards and other gear-independent mechanics. It seems to be a pretty direct replication of the Battle Leveling mechanic that came with the 'One Tamriel' update that Elder Scrolls Online got in 2016, which turned the game world into a true open-world experience where players could do almost any content from Level 1, without anything being level-gated.

It's a mechanic that makes the game significantly less frustrating for lower-level players (they can go anywhere on the map will never run into enemies that they cannot deal with), but also reduces the sense of progression/power that higher-level characters feel (all areas of the game will now spawn enemies that feel equally tanky & dangerous, even for Level 200+ player characters).

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Discospawn posted:

It's a mechanic that makes the game significantly less frustrating for lower-level players (they can go anywhere on the map will never run into enemies that they cannot deal with), but also reduces the sense of progression/power that higher-level characters feel (all areas of the game will now spawn enemies that feel equally tanky & dangerous, even for Level 200+ player characters).

The buffs that low levels get to their stats decrease as they level up and at some point go away entirely, right? So unless Bethesda changes the max level at which mobs can spawn this shouldn't change anything for high levels short of making a couple of events harder.
Campfire Tales spawns a ton of critters, them all being max level could be challenging. Same for Free Range with the wolves and stingwings, the Brahmin would need some serious buffs to survive that.
And most likely Tea Time because those damned pipes are apparently made out of paper no one can repair.

I hope this gets pushed to the PTS soon so we get more info and Beth gets enough feedback to iron this one out and not gently caress it up. (lol)

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Sensenmann posted:

The buffs that low levels get to their stats decrease as they level up and at some point go away entirely, right? So unless Bethesda changes the max level at which mobs can spawn this shouldn't change anything for high levels short of making a couple of events harder.
It's unclear if it'll be exactly like Elder Scrolls Online or not. The most specific details on it come from a Bethesda interview (emphasis mine):

quote:

It’s called “One Wasteland,” which should totally sound familiar to Elder Scrolls Online players. Similar, but not exactly so, to ESO’s One Tamriel system, One Wasteland aims to normalize content no matter what your level. This is being done via a “brilliant system,” as Gardiner put it, that will adjust the game on the fly around and for players.

The high-level view of One Wasteland is that mobs will be adjusted to a player in real-time, meaning that a level 100 and a level 10 player will take roughly the same amount of time, effort, and bullets to kill that mob (although there is, the devs said, allowance for progression and better gear). Some types of mobs will always be tough, no matter your level — Deathclaws, for instance — while others will always be easier.

And now I can't move.

Another big change for One Wasteland is the removal of Fallout 76’s negative survival elements. As it stands right now, if you don’t eat or drink for a while in the game, you’ll find yourself struggling on with a heavy debuff. But in One Wasteland, there will be no penalties, only bonuses for those who take the time to quaff and scarf all they find. “We want the flavor of survival without the drudgery,” Gardiner said.

Bethesda wanted to release One Wasteland before Wastelanders but decided to hold it back for further work and testing. It’s currently in internal playtesting and should be coming to the public test realm… well, no date was given, but it sounds like sooner rather than later.
This makes it seems like they want to prevent one-shotting of enemies, although I thought most of the one-shot builds are based on perks rather than level advantage.

Sensenmann posted:

I hope this gets pushed to the PTS soon so we get more info and Beth gets enough feedback to iron this one out and not gently caress it up. (lol)
Yeah, it would make sense for them to put it on the PTS before it goes live, but I think most players would've also said that about the $5 weapon skin, Battle Pass system, and ammo converter.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Discospawn posted:

It's unclear if it'll be exactly like Elder Scrolls Online or not. The most specific details on it come from a Bethesda interview (emphasis mine):

This makes it seems like they want to prevent one-shotting of enemies, although I thought most of the one-shot builds are based on perks rather than level advantage.

Ah, yeah, I've read that interview. I think I forgot about it because I was more excited for the upcoming removal of the hunger/thirst mechanic. Cooking is such a tedious bullshit in 76 that, at the time, I found this to be the most important part of One Wasteland.

The part you've boldened is worrying, given Bethesdas record of loving things up. If all this update means is that I'll need more ammo once this drops I'll be pissed.

Discospawn posted:

Yeah, it would make sense for them to put it on the PTS before it goes live, but I think most players would've also said that about the $5 weapon skin, Battle Pass system, and ammo converter.

Indeed, although I'm pretty sure that the PTS has never seen the actual build that gets pushed on patch day. There is no way that no one noticed that Adrenaline was broken and yet here we are.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So my friends and I finally jumped back onto this after abandoning it on release and we tried the Wastelanders Quest and come to find that... as a party we have to instance dialogue with certain people in order to complete quests separately to get rewards or have the leader make all of the dialog choices and doing it as a team but no one else but the leader gets quest progression?

How... did they gently caress this up so badly? Or are we missing something?

We played for a couple hours and quit, it's amazing how the one thing that could have made this interesting is absolutely terrible unless you're going to play it solo. Well done Bethesda.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

So my friends and I finally jumped back onto this after abandoning it on release and we tried the Wastelanders Quest and come to find that... as a party we have to instance dialogue with certain people in order to complete quests separately to get rewards or have the leader make all of the dialog choices and doing it as a team but no one else but the leader gets quest progression?

How... did they gently caress this up so badly? Or are we missing something?

We played for a couple hours and quit, it's amazing how the one thing that could have made this interesting is absolutely terrible unless you're going to play it solo. Well done Bethesda.

Yeah I came here to ask the exact same question a couple of days ago. It's a baffling decision. I will say that my brother and I have still been enjoying the game, but it sucks to do everything together and then do all the instanced stuff alone unless we want to do every interior/dungeon twice (we don't)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bardeh posted:

Yeah I came here to ask the exact same question a couple of days ago. It's a baffling decision. I will say that my brother and I have still been enjoying the game, but it sucks to do everything together and then do all the instanced stuff alone unless we want to do every interior/dungeon twice (we don't)

There's not really any hard dungeons that involve instancing though, right? There's a couple scenes where you can choose to talk your way out or shoot your way out, but to me it just seemed like a way of letting everyone be the main character of the story.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

There's not really any hard dungeons that involve instancing though, right? There's a couple scenes where you can choose to talk your way out or shoot your way out, but to me it just seemed like a way of letting everyone be the main character of the story.

No, it's not about the difficulty, it's about wanting to play together and still be able to progress. I understand that they want every player to be able to make their own choices etc, but why not give us the option instead of the bizarre way they've chosen to handle this? It feels really disjointed.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

My bloodied, explosive, ultracite railway rifle is just disgusting!

https://youtu.be/5fsNA-0ZAj4

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Railway rifles are cool as hell. I had a quad ffr one that could only be used with vats because that recoil was loving insane. The train choo choo it makes as you reload is fantastic.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I claimed the workshop at the nuclear power plant and was fighting off some waves of Scorched for an event there, and then some dude who was level 515 in power armor rolled up, obliterated my brother and I, then left the moment that he'd taken the workshop from us. Was he just being an rear end in a top hat, or is there something he can actually do/get there?

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

Bardeh posted:

I claimed the workshop at the nuclear power plant and was fighting off some waves of Scorched for an event there, and then some dude who was level 515 in power armor rolled up, obliterated my brother and I, then left the moment that he'd taken the workshop from us. Was he just being an rear end in a top hat, or is there something he can actually do/get there?

It was a daily objective. He bore you no malice.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Involuntary pvp can only exist in the context of workshops/bases. On PS4 it is so infrequent that if someone wants it that bad I’ll just leave and server hop, and I can count on one hand how many times it’s been an issue. The power stations are the only real pita since those are larger picture things, but I’ve never had a real issue.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

VRViperII posted:

I believe it was a weekly challenge. Does that mean everyone gets the same challenges?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

VRViperII posted:

Yeah it was like "Tuesday" to him but also being a lazy dick. He could have capped the workshops no one else goes to in the mire

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

CheeseSpawn posted:

Yeah it was like "Tuesday" to him but also being a lazy dick. He could have capped the workshops no one else goes to in the mire

Power stations are also a way to get fusion cores, but i think lazy dick is more likely.

I did accidentally steal someones workshop one time because the map showed it as unclaimed. I didnt go in guns blazing though. So not a lazy dick, but more of an oblivious moron move.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chamale posted:

We didn't want that "solo" experience to be the main character, we wanted it to be that we were a party that did everything together. It would have been fun to discuss decisions made together and impact the quest line as a group. Jumping in and out of a solo instance to a group dungeon crawl really sucks and took us right out of the game.

Early on we got a quest to build a radio tower in our base. Well, in each of our separate bases (if we all wanted to progress) so we had to split up to fast travel to our bases which are all in completely different areas of the map and then join back up. Except we never did the latter part because we said "This sucks" and stopped playing. What's the point of even doing any of this poo poo as a group, when you don't do any of it as a group outside of killing poo poo?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it does suck that they whole idea of Fallout 76 was "form a group and play with your friends!" and they completely forgot to let you do anything as a group but just let you do things in a group.

You know what would have been a great Seasons Level 100 reward? Like 50 more loving scrip a day from the Legendary Jukebox. 150 is such a low amount compared to the number of legendaries I can get if I play, especially since I am still using every one of them to get a set of unyielding secret service armor. I've been stuck on piece 3, the left arm, for like 2 weeks now and having one more chance a day would be really nice. Having a stash and inventory fully stocked with legendaries waiting to get melted means I don't want to play because I don't have any space to put stuff so I just log in to melt 3-4 items, complete the daily challenges in the least engaging way I can think of, then log out. I'm not even sure why I am doing the season journey now apart from the fact I already 60% through it, especially considering how many of the reward items are for power armor skins I'll never use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

sigher posted:

We didn't want that "solo" experience to be the main character, we wanted it to be that we were a party that did everything together. It would have been fun to discuss decisions made together and impact the quest line as a group. Jumping in and out of a solo instance to a group dungeon crawl really sucks and took us right out of the game.

Early on we got a quest to build a radio tower in our base. Well, in each of our separate bases (if we all wanted to progress) so we had to split up to fast travel to our bases which are all in completely different areas of the map and then join back up. Except we never did the latter part because we said "This sucks" and stopped playing. What's the point of even doing any of this poo poo as a group, when you don't do any of it as a group outside of killing poo poo?
I don't think quest progress was ever shared beyond killing things and going places, even when the only non-killing content was playing back recordings. You're grossly overestimating what Bethesda is capable of delivering here.