Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If we’re going to spike the FAYGO with corona can we do that after we allow free Lee Greenwood concerts?

There’s a sliding scale of awfulness here and Juggalos are far from the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

I'm seriously rethinking my career. This tells me that I can go to disney world, buy trash bags full of garbage, and re-sell it online to these psychopaths for a massive profit.

Companies in Japan used to use blood type to determine work ethic/personality, and they would make hiring/firing decisions with it.

The previous company I worked for used some bullshit test that was 2 questions: 1) select all the personality traits you think apply to you, and 2) select all the personality traits you think others see in you. There was like 100+ things to select, and it spit out 4 dimensions of interpersonal behavior/communication style/whatever.

It's all just professional horoscopes. Myers Briggs was debunked long ago, but even if it disappeared completely companies would grasp at anything to try to justify decisions.

I'm assuming the 2 questions thing was wildly popular with the business crowd at one point because I worked at a company that did the same and watched them completely dismiss candidates based on the responses because the CEO thought it was the greatest personality test in the world.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my company does that and nothing i do can convince them not to do it :negative:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I once didn't get an entry level retail job because I failed the (likely automatically scored) personality survey. I was really confused why I didn't get a callback, because obviously I picked the answers they wanted to hear, so I talked to the manager and he gave me some "hints" that I should ALWAYS pick "Strongly Disagree" or "Strongly Agree" to every question, so I retook it and they hired me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Elysium posted:

I once didn't get an entry level retail job because I failed the (likely automatically scored) personality survey. I was really confused why I didn't get a callback, because obviously I picked the answers they wanted to hear, so I talked to the manager and he gave me some "hints" that I should ALWAYS pick "Strongly Disagree" or "Strongly Agree" to every question, so I retook it and they hired me.

"It is Infuriating when guilty people go free"

Oh boy. Do I say crime is good, or that I'm quick to enrage?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my company does that and nothing i do can convince them not to do it :negative:

I believe that if you look for it, there are some articles that claim these types of tests are racist and/or sexist and could get your company sued. Depending on your HR, that might work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's the traits one and I don't think it's racist, I just don't think it's meaningful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We have a broken as hell personality sorter thing that my office started using several years ago. Totally coincidentally, we’ve had record numbers of new people failing out of their probationary period and needing tons of remedial help if they clear probation since we started using it!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Both my current and last place use them. They basically put you in one of four quadrants, roughly aligning to (driver, accountant, visionary, personable). The two systems were different in a bunch of ways but they served roughly the same purpose.

I think they’re fine and even good as long as they’re used in the right way - there is no one perfect personality or style, and it’s about adapting to how you work / how your teammates and clients work. A lot of the focus is on like “what are some things you can do to manage a relationship where the client is an accountant”. As far as I know no staffing decisions are made based on them, as they don’t even get done until you already work for the firms.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
No, they're not fine. They're pseudoscientific horoscopes and have no bearing on reality.

Sure, at best, they teach you that other people communicate and work in different ways, and that you need to be cognizant of these differences in order to improve your interpersonal communication skills. But that can be done with training. At worst, they pigeon hole people and give management reason to hire/fire people for the wrong reasons

People are complex and ever changing, and you positively cannot distill them down to a handful of easy to remember traits. If you listen to these tests, you will hire the wrong people and miss out on the right ones.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 22, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I view it like the Love Languages garbage - it's okay-ish if used as a communication tool between sensible people who understand that everyone is more complex than a small set of categories can convey, but an alarming number of people take it as iron gospel. And if you needed some lovely pop psych/pseudoscience thing to make you realize 'hey, different people express love in different ways' or 'different people have different personalities and approaches to work', you've got way deeper issues than a simple test can solve.

And on a corporate scale, you absolutely should not trust anyone to interpret that info sanely(including realizing the limitations of whatever arbitrary buckets it puts people in and that said buckets are generally not mutually exclusive in real life) or use it for constructive purposes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

I view it like the Love Languages garbage - it's okay-ish if used as a communication tool between sensible people who understand that everyone is more complex than a small set of categories can convey, but an alarming number of people take it as iron gospel. And if you needed some lovely pop psych/pseudoscience thing to make you realize 'hey, different people express love in different ways' or 'different people have different personalities and approaches to work', you've got way deeper issues than a simple test can solve.

And on a corporate scale, you absolutely should not trust anyone to interpret that info sanely(including realizing the limitations of whatever arbitrary buckets it puts people in and that said buckets are generally not mutually exclusive in real life) or use it for constructive purposes.
It's possible I'm just an overly-cynical bastard, but I just see the "love language" bullshit as a way for corporations to validate people being greedy for more bullshit. Like, "it's okay to want crap, that's my Love Language!"

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, my company uses this (I'm the accountant type), and it's useful for trying to work with people. It also pointed out some traits I have (rigidity, discomfort with change) that have helped me loosen up a little and try to go with the flow more.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh poo poo my primary love language is touch and I dont know if that's gonna go over well in the work place

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oh poo poo my primary love language is touch and I dont know if that's gonna go over well in the work place

In this pandemic? No thank you.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

God I hate the love language bullshit. Not to be a stereotypical goony atheist but it's religion based, too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In 5 years, we'll all either be working for this man or dead by his hand.

quote:

[Massachusetts] Is it legal to do magic tricks in front of the monkeys at the zoo?

Or is it one of those things where I have to get "permission" first?

quote:

quote:

There is no law making it illegal to do magic tricks in front of monkeys in Massachusetts. You could be asked to leave the zoo.

If they react with anger could I be held liable for damages caused by their anger?

quote:

Like if a monkey flies into a rage and kills a zookeeper. Similar thing happened in Connecticut https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_(chimpanzee)#2009_attack

quote:

Check out SF zoo tiger attack. Two brothers supposedly taunted a tiger who escaped and killed someone before being shot. Everybody was out for the blood of the brothers for the death of the tiger, but it came out thay the enclosure was not secure. The brothers sued and settled. Even though it's a misdemeanor to taunt a zoo animal in SF the brothers were never charged.

quote:

Two popular videos over the past year are the guy doing a magic trick for a baby orangutan and a gorilla breaking the glass on his enclosure after a young girl "challenged" him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWPqfCJDnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWPqfCJDnc

It could be Youtube gold.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/hus15o/massachusetts_is_it_legal_to_do_magic_tricks_in/

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If he's worried about apes getting pissed off at his magic tricks maybe he should do better ones.

I had an orang look at pictures of cute animals with me on my phone once. It was nice, she was super chill.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The insistence on labeling all employees "Cast Members" and customers as "Family" is deeply weird.

for bonus extra psycho points, it’s Cast Members and Guests.

the Cast Member thing made a fair amount of sense to differentiate workplace expectations when Disney was paying a living wage to frontline who weren’t just college kids... so, the 70s and maybe early 80s? now as a minimum wage situation is just cargo culting their own brand

i imagine the venn diagram of /r/wdw and pass holders is basically a circle because they’re the only ones who get called family, and it’s only the collective. pride of lions, passholder family.

a murder of theme parks?

Haifisch posted:

love languages have been a solid framework for my partner and i to understand ways we try to show love that the other misses completely. we’re almost perfect opposites and so understanding what each other mean, not just what we intrinsically interpret, has helped us a lot. also helps us understand how to show something that will be received better.

have you read the book? while the author is very up front about their faith i never felt the framework itself was preachy.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

oh no what BWM things did Ashton Kutcher do

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

BonerGhost posted:

If he's worried about apes getting pissed off at his magic tricks maybe he should do better ones.

I had an orang look at pictures of cute animals with me on my phone once. It was nice, she was super chill.

Bad With Malay: orang just means 'person'

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Love Languages is just this decade's equivalent of The Secret where some people take the concept and understand it becomes about working hard and striving for a goal while others make dream boards and go right back to the status quo only now nearly every conversation is "Have you read The Secret? It's changed my life (narrator: it hadn't)"

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Love Languages is just this decade's equivalent of The Secret where some people take the concept and understand it becomes about working hard and striving for a goal while others make dream boards and go right back to the status quo only now nearly every conversation is "Have you read The Secret? It's changed my life (narrator: it hadn't)"

The Secret is not about working hard and striving for a goal.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Back in undergrad I talked my way into an upper level business school course on leadership because I needed to fill some credit hours. The professor split us into small groups and for the first six weeks, every week we would take different personality tests and discuss the results. We had to answer questions like, "choose two team members who have different results. Given $problem in the work place how would you adapt your strategies for communicating with each of them." Then the next week questions would include "is there anyone in your group where the communication strategies recommended by the this assessment and the previous assessment contradict? How would you address this?"

As an anti-social goon it actually really helped me understand and communicate with other people. The vast majority of the class hated it and constantly complained that they couldn't understand what any of this had to do with being a leader.

Ultimately my biggest takeaway from that class is that business students are gigantic loving morons whongroe up to be bad with management.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

Back in undergrad I talked my way into an upper level business school course on leadership because I needed to fill some credit hours. The professor split us into small groups and for the first six weeks, every week we would take different personality tests and discuss the results. We had to answer questions like, "choose two team members who have different results. Given $problem in the work place how would you adapt your strategies for communicating with each of them." Then the next week questions would include "is there anyone in your group where the communication strategies recommended by the this assessment and the previous assessment contradict? How would you address this?"

As an anti-social goon it actually really helped me understand and communicate with other people. The vast majority of the class hated it and constantly complained that they couldn't understand what any of this had to do with being a leader.

Ultimately my biggest takeaway from that class is that business students are gigantic loving morons whongroe up to be bad with management.

My issue with these personality pidgeonholing tests is that I'm not sure who is the target audience for them, outside of draconian HRs.

Bad managers aren't going to use these tests for a good purpose and they also won't bother getting to know their workers either, so this tooling won't do them any good. (But then if they are bad managers, nothing will)

Good managers will probably just get to know their workers and also won't really need this tooling, so the tests are basically useless either way. I'm also not sure if there's enough managers with "anti-social goon" and "good managers" traits to have enough people using it the intended way. (again, outside draconian HRs)

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Verus posted:

and utan means "tree", so the orang utan are the "tree people".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HardDiskD posted:

My issue with these personality pidgeonholing tests is that I'm not sure who is the target audience for them, outside of draconian HRs.

Bad managers aren't going to use these tests for a good purpose and they also won't bother getting to know their workers either, so this tooling won't do them any good. (But then if they are bad managers, nothing will)

Good managers will probably just get to know their workers and also won't really need this tooling, so the tests are basically useless either way. I'm also not sure if there's enough managers with "anti-social goon" and "good managers" traits to have enough people using it the intended way. (again, outside draconian HRs)

I don't know how HR uses them, but I've seen a fair number of idiots lean on them as basically an excuse for lovely behavior. I've seen this happen in work places, university settings, among friends, etc. Some dumb online myers briggs test gets passed around, everyone notes what they are, and then someone gets told to knock off some dumb poo poo and comes back with "well that's just how I am, I'm naturally an introvert so. . . " or whatever.

These aren't immutable things and being an INTJ or whatever doesn't get you a get out of jail free card when you're an rear end in a top hat.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Oh I absolutely agree these tests are terrible, that companies horribly misuse them, and that assholes use them to justify being assholes. I shared that story to shown my professor using them the right way and a class full of business students completely failing to get it.

"These tools will help you think through your communications." "BUT I DONT WANT TO THINK JUST TELL ME WHAT TO DO"

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

You know what else is a Malay word?

Mangosteen

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Switchback posted:

You know what else is a Malay word?

Mangosteen

Cursed word.

Also of note, though I imagine it will soon change, the mod subforum title is currently:

On his Mangosteen's Secret Service

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I once drank of the Mangosteen from inside Doom House itself. Driving 3 hours to KC and renting a hotel room to hang out with goons was definitely BWM.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Moneyball posted:

Cursed word.

Also of note, though I imagine it will soon change, the mod subforum title is currently:

On his Mangosteen's Secret Service

:ninja:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Verus posted:

When we're done with the excellent current title I nominate this one

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Cash is my love language.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
When people ask me my star sign, I make one up. After watching them make sense of it, I tell them it was a lie and I'm actually a scorpio. They say "aha! Knew it! That is exactly what a scorpio would do."

I'm not a scorpio.

Personalities are complex and no four letter code is going to make everything clear, but they do demonstrate that people look at things way more differently than you do.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nocheez posted:

When people ask me my star sign, I make one up. After watching them make sense of it, I tell them it was a lie and I'm actually a scorpio. They say "aha! Knew it! That is exactly what a scorpio would do."

I'm not a scorpio.

Personalities are complex and no four letter code is going to make everything clear, but they do demonstrate that people look at things way more differently than you do.

James Randii did exactly this to troll an astrologer repeatedly many years ago.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nocheez posted:

I'm not a scorpio.

There was much gnashing and wailing of teeth when a few years ago they basically changed the zodiac system and people started saying well that made it meaningless if someone can just say "hey you're a Leo now not a Pisces"

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

pentyne posted:

There was much gnashing and wailing of teeth when a few years ago they basically changed the zodiac system and people started saying well that made it meaningless if someone can just say "hey you're a Leo now not a Pisces"

Sounds like something a Virgo would say

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HardDiskD posted:

I did get some usefulness out of this sort of thing when I brand new to managing. I fell into the trap of "I was good at my job, therefor, if my team is more like me, they'll be good at their jobs too." You can probably imagine how that went. But I was younger, more naive, and a lousy manager back then.

Nobody explicitly came up to me and said, "It's your job as a manager to figure out what your team members need to be successful and your job to provide that for them."

I personally think Myers-Briggs is a bunch of woo, but some of exercises where you try to think like another person are helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I did get some usefulness out of this sort of thing when I brand new to managing. I fell into the trap of "I was good at my job, therefor, if my team is more like me, they'll be good at their jobs too." You can probably imagine how that went. But I was younger, more naive, and a lousy manager back then.

Nobody explicitly came up to me and said, "It's your job as a manager to figure out what your team members need to be successful and your job to provide that for them."

I personally think Myers-Briggs is a bunch of woo, but some of exercises where you try to think like another person are helpful.

Sure, but that's just basic human empathy and growing as a person. It's also, broadly speaking, trainable.

My problem with the myers-briggs poo poo is that it doesn't emphasize trying to see things from other peoples perspectives as much as it just focuses on "introverted people walk like this and extroverts walk like [b]this[b/]" kind of poo poo. Disclaimer: this is based on what I've seen of it in person. I dunno maybe someone's company uses it as a single component of a really great multi-faceted approach to management and management training.

Basically I just see it most frequently used as a dumb way to sort people into boxes, when the real take away is that not everyone in the world thinks and behaves exactly like you do and you should recognize that your way isn't the only correct way.