Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Doc Hawkins posted:

Speaking of senate races a bunch of us'n's in SF are withdrawing our support for Shahid Buttar. I have friends that have worked and do work for the campaign, and in short it sounds like he won't work as a face of the movement

This is a good thread about it.

https://twitter.com/sashaperigo/status/1285967446772334593

Do you work for Pelosi too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Speaking of senate races a bunch of us'n's in SF are withdrawing our support for Shahid Buttar. I have friends that have worked and do work for the campaign, and in short it sounds like he won't work as a face of the movement

This is a good thread about it.

https://twitter.com/sashaperigo/status/1285967446772334593

This really loving sucks because Pelosi really needs to go.

Still, it's gonna be "fun" seeing all the people who abandoned the "believe women" mantle for Tara Reade pick it right back up again without a shred of awareness.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So, how many Soldiers die at Ft Hood every year?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/07/21/fort-hood-ids-another-soldier-found-dead-off-post.html

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

It would've been great if she just disappeared when she was walking in the woods post-loss

Bored As gently caress posted:

WHY CAN'T SHE JUST GO AWAY

gently caress

Don't disagree, but it doesn't sound like Clinton is actually involved in this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

orange juche posted:

Rudy Reyes running laps around the launch pad in a full spacesuit

Everyone's gay for Rudy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wasabi the J posted:

Do you work for Pelosi too?

I've given money and time to Shahid, and multiple friends of mine have worked for him (and some still do), including Sasha. You should read the thread and article.

Pelosi doesn't need secret agents, she was the favorite to win even if Bernie was on the ballot. When he wasn't, the use of Shahid's campaign was to wave the banner, and that use is now greatly hampered. On a personal level I currently think of him as someone who should be "called in," but the race is over twice-over.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jesus he's beautiful

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I came across this and wanted to see what y'all thought: GOP Senate Hopeful says He's a Ranger, but Maybe Not?

I feel like when in doubt you go with what the Dept. of the Army says and not the "Ranger Hall of Fame" but he does have a point about the composition of Ranger Regiment iirc.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Just a heads-up on Donnie's announcement on Chicago where he's deploying a "surge" of Feds to Chicago:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1286042848358469634?s=19

It's bullshit. They're bringing in about 200 (that were likely already there!) and Chicago PD is like 12,000 strong alone, per Krasner in Philly.

Good interview with DA Krasner here, by the way.

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1285946627392442370?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 22, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://mobile.twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1285957415918276608?p=v

That last bit at the end lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

I came across this and wanted to see what y'all thought: GOP Senate Hopeful says He's a Ranger, but Maybe Not?

I feel like when in doubt you go with what the Dept. of the Army says and not the "Ranger Hall of Fame" but he does have a point about the composition of Ranger Regiment iirc.

"i was attached to a line unit so i'm basically infantry"- every marine ever

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

PookBear posted:

Fair point but he wasn't even attached to Ranger as far as I can tell so it's more every marine is a rifleman sort of thing.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

wow the United States Marshalls can smdftb all day

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jfc fire the idiot who thought it was necessary to add that thing at the end

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Much as I would love to see the US Federal Gestapo Service get shithoused courtesy of local police there’s no way local cops are going to interfere with the US Federal Gestapo Service doing what the local cops wish they could except maybe to ask the US Federal Gestapo Service how they can get in on it.

Blink and you’ll miss it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

jfc fire the idiot who thought it was necessary to add that thing at the end

ABC is currently like the worst with both-sidesing poo poo. They are desparate to fondle trump's balls while pretending to be progressive. lol there's no progressive news media on the national level in the US.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I hope this poo poo with sending the feds into cities backfires, but what that would look like I have no real idea. Even though its stupid to hope that senior leadership somewhere might still have a spine.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1285722937069383680

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I get the symbolism and all but was there a detailed plan for what 10% was getting cut?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/a_jolly27/status/1285808746417946625

find your democratic representative, support the person primarying them from the left.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

orange juche posted:

find your democratic representative, support the person primarying them from the left.

i did :negative:

(surprisingly she's not in that list)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

ABC is currently like the worst with both-sidesing poo poo. They are desparate to fondle trump's balls while pretending to be progressive. lol there's no progressive news media on the national level in the US.

I saved this in case it came up again:

https://twitter.com/ehananoki/status/1285629686056472586?s=19

Basically, the election is loving boring and they're trying to spice it up with the TRUMP WILL TURN IT AROUND takes.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

egyptian rat race posted:

I have heard this before in the context of a personified stock market having "figured out" that Tesla is doing something Cool and Innovative (on par with the advent of powered flight and the internal combustion engine) and thus deemed its value so highly. Consumers who buy the vehicles are certainly willing to look past flaws (https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-is-j-d-powers-top-car-for-appeal-after-finishing-last-in-quality-11595433600) but is there anything substantial behind it? Is it all predicated upon widespread adoption of swlf-driving auto technology, with Tesla being on top?

My uneducated interpretation is that its valuation is far more based around futures speculation which will naturally be inflated. Obviously its also inflated for other reasons, but the rational part of it is that it has proprietary edges that could be leveraged against competitors. Toyota makes more than most competitors, and its quite good at it, but there's little chance of it suddenly taking off and being worth twice as much or more because of a technological breakthrough or a legal change or a combination thereof.

10 years more work, and Teslas got plausible odds of being 5-10 years ahead of everyone else on self driving automobiles which may make make it the king of a new industry ala facebook, Apple, Amazon, etc. When you transition from freight with drivers to freight with no drivers, thats a sudden new huge market.

Toyota increases at a decent and predictable rate but its not likely to crash or takeoff. Tesla seems unlikely to crash, but with the possibility of taking off, so if you're going to leave $1000 lying around, the Bank of Tesla comes with free lotto tickets for all depositors.

Similar risk, higher opportunity for payoff.

Stock Market Valuation is about futures, not holdings. Neither company could just produce $100 Billion by themselves and if they called it quits tomorrow, you couldn't get that much selling every tangible asset they own, much less $200 billion.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Tesla's edge in self driving completely comes down to their willingness to beta test dangerous technology on public roads with their simp customers. As far as actual self driving technology (lane assist etc) I don't believe Tesla is actually ahead of any of the other players, but I could be wrong. Tesla seems like a case of finance people having no idea how technology works and with it, being vulnerable to hype and lies.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tesla is trying to do their entire self driving thing based on optical recognition. The rest of the industry has decided it will take a combination of optical recognition and lidar. I know too many former Tesla employees with horror stories of gross mismanagement to believe the company who's cars can't tell the difference between a semi and an overpass and lust for self immolation into firetrucks is gonna figure it out with half the hardware of their competitors. Elon really wants you to think they will though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PookBear posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Tesla is trying to do their entire self driving thing based on optical recognition. The rest of the industry has decided it will take a combination of optical recognition and lidar. I know too many former Tesla employees with horror stories of gross mismanagement to believe the company who's cars can't tell the difference between a semi and an overpass and lust for self immolation into firetrucks is gonna figure it out with half the hardware of their competitors. Elon really wants you to think they will though.

LIDAR is good but expensive, and kinda bulky unless they've reduced the size of LIDAR sensors, Optical recognition is poo poo but cheap, basically. One has higher profit margins, one is safer for occupants and other people on the road.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I get the symbolism and all but was there a detailed plan for what 10% was getting cut?

Was there a detailed plan when sequestration happened?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PeterCat posted:

As much of one as our victory conditions in Iraq.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is the level that the billionaire head of the world's most valuable* car company thinks at:
https://shop.tesla.com/product/tesla-short-shorts?sku=8529140-00-A
Look at the product AND the price.

*according to the stock market, which is crazy rich person fantasy land

Wouldn't that be $73.20?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The velodyne lidar we used to collect lidar readings was providing 350k+ (up to about 750k useable last i knew) readings a second and couple map a 3d image matrix of its surroundings up to 3 stpries tall and was the sizer of a monster energy drink can and a bunch of that was the motor to spin the thing a dozen times a second. They can be pretty small. And that was the 32 beam version not the 8 or 16.

Edit: stuff like this while driving at highway speed

Stravag fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 23, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

orange juche posted:

LIDAR is good but expensive, and kinda bulky unless they've reduced the size of LIDAR sensors, Optical recognition is poo poo but cheap, basically. One has higher profit margins, one is safer for occupants and other people on the road.

My sub-$200 robot vacuum has optical range finding. Tesla is just being cheap and arrogant

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That Works posted:

As much of one as our victory conditions in Iraq.

And yet somehow the DoD made do.

The military has enough waste that it can weather a 10% cut, it'll just apply the cut to benefits for the troops and then loudly cry that Congress hates Soldiers, rather than not spending a quarter billion dollars on new trucks for the 82nd Airborne.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/29/gm-defense-army-contract-infantry-squad-vehicle/

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao a loving goldbug runs the fed now

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PeterCat posted:

I agree, we shouldn't care if the good thing we want turns into a bad thing because we didn't plan ahead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stravag posted:

The velodyne lidar we used to collect lidar readings was providing 350k+ (up to about 750k useable last i knew) readings a second and couple map a 3d image matrix of its surroundings up to 3 stpries tall and was the sizer of a monster energy drink can and a bunch of that was the motor to spin the thing a dozen times a second. They can be pretty small. And that was the 32 beam version not the 8 or 16.

Edit: stuff like this while driving at highway speed

Yeah I was gonna say slapping 2 velodyne LIDAR units on top of a vehicle will give you a 3d map of everything around your vehicle that works a hell of a lot better than any number of optical cameras. Add some optical cameras for a second opinion and you've got a drat good setup.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I agree, we shouldn't care if the good thing we want turns into a bad thing because we didn't plan ahead.

?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PeterCat posted:

Wouldn't that be $73.20?

No.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Who cares, loving gut it by 90%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sorry, I assumed you were being sarcastic.