Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Mr. Steak posted:

i dont think ive ever played w john cena before? idk how he normally plays

Who cares about how he normally plays, its irrelevant to the poo poo he's doing now (being useless)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tommunist posted:

Who cares about how he normally plays, its irrelevant to the poo poo he's doing now (being useless)

Further than this, his approach is more than lazy, it’s actively scummy, because it is completely arbitrary and if we adopted it as our way of picking an execution today, it would shut down discussion and give us nothing further to work with on D2 if the target flipped town

I agree with Tommu here, meta is unimportant in the face of a “strategy” that actively benefits scum and potentially harms the town

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Could I get someone else's feedback on JC (bif? Hambeet? Taste???????) Im really unsure if he's scummy or im just tilted by my notions of what consitutes bad mafia play.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

I'll be accused of riffing off my fine lad sci but ##vote JOHN CENA

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tommunist posted:

Could I get someone else's feedback on JC (bif? Hambeet? Taste???????) Im really unsure if he's scummy or im just tilted by my notions of what consitutes bad mafia play.

It's been way too long since I got to play a game with JC so I got no meta sorry

I see the points y'all are making and don't think they're bad, but I don't think it's the scummiest thing going today. Could just be lazy D1 syndrome which some players are prone to, so wouldn't mind waiting to re-evaluate him on D2 instead. I'll pencil him in at the bottom of the priority list.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Could just be lazy D1 syndrome which some players are prone to, so wouldn't mind waiting to re-evaluate him on D2 instead. I'll pencil him in at the bottom of the priority list.

FWIW I think self admitted day 1 laziness should be called out for being anti town.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tommunist posted:

FWIW I think self admitted day 1 laziness should be called out for being anti town.

Agreed, but I do have to keep in mind that several players write off D1 anyway and remain statistically likely to be town.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Agreed, but I do have to keep in mind that several players write off D1 anyway and remain statistically likely to be town.

I mean sure but it doesnt make the action any less scummy and its a convenient label for lazy scum to hide behind.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Id like to remain on JC for now because I think his actions go beyond just being lazy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bifauxnen posted:

Could just be lazy D1 syndrome which some players are prone to, so wouldn't mind waiting to re-evaluate him on D2 instead. I'll pencil him in at the bottom of the priority list.

I find it incredibly interesting that you are willing to give JC this level of benefit of the doubt, but not the other players on your list.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok I went back to read JC in isolation just for you to see if he looked scummier that way. This is the main event all in one post though:

JOHN CENA posted:

i think I'm gonna put myself in a wifom spiral...im autoclearing myself taste capnandy and humalong because in this game scum partners are chosen. i will not be voting for them this game.

i look at ggn yuming pecota and hal with mighty suspicion

Ok, going so far as to say he won't vote for them all game is incredibly bad. This approach of looking at who's likely scum picks just to narrow things down a bit did feel natural to me at first glance though, cause I'm personally leaning that way just on Steak. And I think he's got a good point for Taste being unlikely too.

Most of all, I have a hard time believing scum would really go with an opening play like this. It seems like just asking people to get all up your rear end about it.

So yeah, still not my top pick today but if he gets in the lead I won't try and stop ya or nothing

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Scientastic posted:

I find it incredibly interesting that you are willing to give JC this level of benefit of the doubt, but not the other players on your list.

Uh, who says I don't? I second and triple guess everything and will continue to do so as they provide more content,the day is young

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Most of all, I have a hard time believing scum would really go with an opening play like this. It seems like just asking people to get all up your rear end about it.

You say this but steak is statistically scum 90% of the time and still manages to be a loud day 1 poster (please don't murder me steak)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I find it very easy to believe JC’s play as a scum tactic, it’s easy to hide behind as “lazy town” if it gets called out, but has a superficial appearance of scumhunting.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tommunist posted:

You say this but steak is statistically scum 90% of the time and still manages to be a loud day 1 poster (please don't murder me steak)

Oh I could totally buy Steak making an opening play like that as scum, lol, I was talking about generic scum though

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

Ok I went back to read JC in isolation just for you to see if he looked scummier that way. This is the main event all in one post though:

Ok, going so far as to say he won't vote for them all game is incredibly bad. This approach of looking at who's likely scum picks just to narrow things down a bit did feel natural to me at first glance though, cause I'm personally leaning that way just on Steak. And I think he's got a good point for Taste being unlikely too.

So yeah, still not my top pick today but if he gets in the lead I won't try and stop ya or nothing

obviously if the start to appear scummy or inconsistent and i suspect them as such, i'd probably vote them. but today, they're not a direction im really looking in.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they not the

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

JOHN CENA posted:

obviously if the start to appear scummy or inconsistent and i suspect them as such, i'd probably vote them. but today, they're not a direction im really looking in.

Ok, why didn't you just say "I am not voting them today" instead of "all game", though? I mean, even ruling someone out for certain on D1 no matter what is already a fairly strong position

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epsilon Plus posted:

You get the traditional survivor wincon, i.e. you win as long as you make it to endgame. Pretend that as a joke I took seven paragraphs to explain in excruciating detail what that means, I'm on my way to Taco Bell so I'm too busy right now to do that, do you want anything?

does the player in question lose their town wincon?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bifauxnen posted:

Ok, why didn't you just say "I am not voting them today" instead of "all game", though? I mean, even ruling someone out for certain on D1 no matter what is already a fairly strong position

i agree, the "ALL GAME" thing is really explicit and a weirdly hard stance to take on day 1

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
especially for town reads which are objectively the more useless type of reads

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

yeah i dunno why i said all game

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

t a s t e posted:

Little late on that one lol

oh wait i just got this lol.

yeah we owned you humalong.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hambeet is scum with humalong and scientastic

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tommunist posted:

Hambeet loving, living, frolicking through day one with bad fake statistic posts.

##vote hambeet

gently caress i've been had

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mr. Steak posted:

hambeet is scum with humalong and scientastic

not bif and solus? for shame.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mr. Steak posted:

also what are you hmmming about? it wasn't a lie, i've been scumhunting way the heck more than i normally do on d1 (which is approximately 0)

HMMMMMMMM

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mr. Humalong posted:

I'll be back in approximately 36 hours.

or maybe sooner

literally the most i've ever seen you post on day 1. probably in 3 days combined.

why so chatty?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

DGK2000 posted:

Well gently caress you too. I was just saying that yes I thought it was clear enough for others to catch. Why are you SO SERIOUS right now?

trying to bring an end to joke phase poo poo posting with serious facts is mr scums new meta.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm just having a blue ribbon day right out of the gate, god

I honestly wouldn't - if I were a scum captain I could see the value of picking people I've never played with before in order to avoid the perception of playing differently around them and I'd also see the value of picking someone like Hal or yuming who I've played with a ton before and usually don't find myself voting for regardless of alignment.

Even if there's someone I'd never pick (like, if 50 Pounds of Bread was playing), I don't know if they'd never pick me since people can take super different approaches

this is the correct answer, both as a good strategy and to protect my ego.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, hambeet is scum lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tommunist posted:

Always thought of you as the cum dog tbh

not much man what's up with you?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tommunist posted:

i vaguely remember one game with john cena and i just imagined john cena making the posts so i dont' remember the actual content or meta.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i forgot you were even in this game steak.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Does anyone call out actual scummy behaviour any more? The excessive reliance on meta is a really strange change from my previous time playing mafia

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

steak is "scum hunting"

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

hambeet posted:

i forgot you were even in this game steak.

Who’s Steak?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Does anyone call out actual scummy behaviour any more? The excessive reliance on meta is a really strange change from my previous time playing mafia

yes they do and i've been in games with you recently where that has occurred.

people leaning on meta has always annoyed me and i've tried to argue against it but you really can't do away with meta. so i gave up raging against that metachine.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Who’s Steak?

whoops i think i made a misteak. i mean bif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You can’t do away with meta entirely, but there seems to me to be a great deal of meta being talked about D1, when it is arguably less useful, and this focus on meta is to the detriment of actual scum hunting.

Like looking at peoples posts and trying to infer their motivation in posting what they posted, and deducing whether that motivation is scummy. Like JC’s motivation for voting for someone is scummy, and it doesn’t matter what his meta is, unless his meta is always being scum