Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Cactrot posted:

"They haven't made a Way of the Samurai game in forever" was the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer for ghost.

Those games were so goddamn fun.

I remember the first two being pretty great. Tried the fourth and the controls were too god awful to allow me to get invested. Imagine WOTS with this combat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love the lighting in this game when there are dark clouds but not covering everything, like your shot.

Also, your pic reminds me of a question I had: are all the plumes of smoke actual fires that you can go to? Burning buildings, villages, etc.? You're on an island so I'm guessing they didn't fake some of them by forever having them over the horizon.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Lobok posted:

I love the lighting in this game when there are dark clouds but not covering everything, like your shot.

Also, your pic reminds me of a question I had: are all the plumes of smoke actual fires that you can go to? Burning buildings, villages, etc.? You're on an island so I'm guessing they didn't fake some of them by forever having them over the horizon.

As far as I know yes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One of the loading screen tips, for the brief second they appear, says as much. Basically that plumes of smoke indicate a Mongol camp or a conquered village.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Usually the big smoke plumes point you to big liberation areas, but sometimes they're not. I noticed there's one for the blacksmith village even after you liberate it in the story missions.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Sindai posted:

Usually the big smoke plumes point you to big liberation areas, but sometimes they're not. I noticed there's one for the blacksmith village even after you liberate it in the story missions.

thats the only false alarm I've found

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The only thing I wish is that the assassinate and chain assassinate buttons were the same thing, and that the assassinate button was different than the attack buttons. I’ve accidentally attacked someone instead of assassinating them multiple times and/or gone for a chain assassinate when none was available and swung my sword instead. This is especially common when I use a smoke bomb in the heat of combat.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Rabble posted:

The only thing I wish is that the assassinate and chain assassinate buttons were the same thing, and that the assassinate button was different than the attack buttons. I’ve accidentally attacked someone instead of assassinating them multiple times and/or gone for a chain assassinate when none was available and swung my sword instead. This is especially common when I use a smoke bomb in the heat of combat.

Yeah I've had that same issue once in a while. Had to restart a camp a couple times because I couldn't get the (bonus objective) chain assassination off due to either Jin just doing a normal triangle attack or the smoke bomb blast spreading them too far apart.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 23, 2020

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Had an awesome duel on a sandbar and as I was walking away I stopped and realized that you could follow the entire battle using the blood streaks left in the sand and I think this one of my favorite games ever.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Look at all you robe wearers. Embrace the glorious brightly colored wood and lacquer armor of the True Samurai you skulking cowards.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like robes. They're comfy and easy to wear.

Plus they seem to fit the aesthetic better.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wear the armor on Masako quests so we match.

It really messes with me in combat though since every enemy takes 1-2 more slashes to kill than I expect them to.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Look at all you robe wearers. Embrace the glorious brightly colored wood and lacquer armor of the True Samurai you skulking cowards.

30% melee damage was hard to pass up until I got the standoff streak armor :)

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I've been randomly stumbling on Duels of ??? and guess they're for a questline or something? Jin really ate humble pie after getting completely wrecked by an old fisherman.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If I’ve upgraded both my blades and both my bows I can sell all my wood and metal for supplies to start jazzing up my less used armour sets, right?

I’m not gonna hit act 3 or unlock the final stance and get another weapon I need metal and wood for am I?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I really like the stealth in this game because there's no real reason to avoid getting caught. You just rush in and kill as many dudes as you can and then finish off the rest head on

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Noirex posted:

I've been randomly stumbling on Duels of ??? and guess they're for a questline or something? Jin really ate humble pie after getting completely wrecked by an old fisherman.

It’s the best quest I’ve found so far.

I’ve only backed out of one duel kojiro himself because I Waltzed in with zero resolve. After coming back with 4 I beat him first try. Be careful out there kids

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I like robes. They're comfy and easy to wear.

Plus they seem to fit the aesthetic better.

My aesthetic is “brightly colored samurai charges full speed into every battle, screaming the entire time”

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hopefully on PS5 you can use the dual-sense to yell at your controller to trigger a standoff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Don’t you hate it when you beat a group of enemies, clean your sword, and one of the enemies has the audacity to still be alive so you have to dirty your sword again? Just smh

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
drat, that side quest in Act II when they murder all the foxes man :( Trigger warning that poo poo.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Sindai posted:

I wear the armor on Masako quests so we match.

Same, Masako was nice enough to give me a present and she's going through a lot right now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Skulking? Isn't a man in armour truly the one that is hiding from death?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

RatHat posted:

Don’t you hate it when you beat a group of enemies, clean your sword, and one of the enemies has the audacity to still be alive so you have to dirty your sword again? Just smh

Uh... Sticky bomb?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fuzz posted:

Uh... Sticky bomb?

This is when I throw kunai most of the time lol.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

RatHat posted:

I've done this more times than I can count already. So rude, crawling on the ground like that.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

drat, that side quest in Act II when they murder all the foxes man :( Trigger warning that poo poo.

Yeah just got to this one. 😭

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you blowgun people they always create a pool of blood and I like to think that canonically they are making GBS threads their own guts out... to death

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

dog nougat posted:

Act 2 spoiler stuff

Just freed Yarikawa. Holy gently caress that was awesome, glad I stepped the difficulty up to hard. Unlocking Ghost mode or whatever was badass. Slaying fleeing mongols with wreckless abandon.

"Press square to slaughter" :discourse:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bust Rodd posted:

If you blowgun people they always create a pool of blood and I like to think that canonically they are making GBS threads their own guts out... to death

Speaking of the blowgun are there only 2 poisons and if not where do you get the others?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So I just got a “charm of fortune 1” which says “effects with a % chance to occur are 50% more likely to occur”.

So does this mean my “attacks have a 5% chance to deal double damage” will now proc 55% of the time?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got a bugged fox den in the third area that’s driving me nuts, where the fox just isn’t there. Googled it and reddit people are saying it comes back if you return after doing a quest or something but I’ve done several quests, as well as quit and restarted a bunch of times, and it hasn’t fixed it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Escobarbarian posted:

Got a bugged fox den in the third area that’s driving me nuts, where the fox just isn’t there. Googled it and reddit people are saying it comes back if you return after doing a quest or something but I’ve done several quests, as well as quit and restarted a bunch of times, and it hasn’t fixed it.

You can interact with the shrine and complete it without following the fox, perhaps you can just look up where the shrine itself is and do it that way instead.

So I just got a “charm of fortune 1” which says “effects with a % chance to occur are 50% more likely to occur”.

So does this mean my “attacks have a 5% chance to deal double damage” will now proc 55% of the time?

Nah it seems to be multiplicative not additive from my experience, so 5% chance would become 7.5% chance (x + 0.5x).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fuzz posted:

Uh... Sticky bomb?

I was just going to say, that's when you throw a sticky bomb, turn around, and then time the Photo Mode button press for when it goes off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Restarting the game has made my sword feel super blunt and I think that combo had something to do with it because I rocked it for ages and a lot of endgame guys were getting one shot.

E: this was using two 10% chance charms. No idea if they stack but it felt like my sword was incredibly deadly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

That is not a good boy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I gotta say, I'm surprised people are already playing through it again. Not that I'm anywhere near finishing but I'm going to hold out for a NG+ for a little while before starting over from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

You can interact with the shrine and complete it without following the fox, perhaps you can just look up where the shrine itself is and do it that way instead.

When you go there the ‘honour the shrine’ prompt pops up, but when you bow it just takes you back there and the prompt is still there