Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The art style does come across as very plasticy - but it's going to be way too late to fix that now. The Original trailer they showed the other year had the same look. It honestly gives me similar vibes to Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

It is clear what you have to shoot at and that alone is a massive improvement over Halo 5.
Yeah, this is where I'm at, though a bit of extra shader work on the enemies wouldn't go unappreciated. Give 'em a bit of shine ala the weapons so they stand out a little more and don't look as "flat".

Someone on Reddit dug up this comparison between the beta and final version of Halo 5, so similar shader-tweaking hopefully isn't out of the question, though since they have a console launch to hit who knows.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The art style didn't bother me much, honestly. I thought the demo looked pretty good and was really confused by the shitposts on Twitter just digging into it.

The Kins posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm at, though a bit of extra shader work on the enemies wouldn't go unappreciated. Give 'em a bit of shine ala the weapons so they stand out a little more and don't look as "flat".

Someone on Reddit dug up this comparison between the beta and final version of Halo 5, so similar shader-tweaking hopefully isn't out of the question, though since they have a console launch to hit who knows.

I also remember Halo 3 had some really significant shader differences in its beta, too. Though I think the beta ones looked better, honestly.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think the trailer showed off the gameplay loop pretty well. Large open areas where you can choose to do objectives in whatever order you like, a more complete version of the gameplay ODST tried.

Hopefully this means a return to the kind of AI we saw in 3 that was sadly lacking in 4.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I also remember Halo 3 had some really significant shader differences in its beta, too. Though I think the beta ones looked better, honestly.

H3B had that cool blue haze and I liked that all the spartans had a plasticy look about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWoMpL0yPM8

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 23, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its fine, I think I'm mostly 'whelmed' but it was a good reveal

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Bedshaped posted:

I think the trailer showed off the gameplay loop pretty well. Large open areas where you can choose to do objectives in whatever order you like, a more complete version of the gameplay ODST tried.

Hopefully this means a return to the kind of AI we saw in 3 that was sadly lacking in 4.

H3B had that cool blue haze and I liked that all the spartans had a plasticy look about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWoMpL0yPM8

man that 360 blade dashboard :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That video reminded me of the time Red Vs Blue tried to shill for Zune.

Remember Zune?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks better than 4 and 5 but I think I’d still rather play the Bungie ones.

Yeah.

Master Chief Collection on PC is a glorious thing now. I can play Halo 1-3 anytime I want without having to hook up an ancient console box.

To be fair, Halo 1-3 are better than Destiny 1/2 also.

But Destiny is way better than Halo 4/5 and probably even better than Infinite will be.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
My favourite thing about Halo 3 is that the game never tries to curtail your fun. Especially if fun means driving a rocket mongoose down all the narrow corridors to the end of the level.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'll still play it since I have game pass, but the open world drains a lot of my excitement away. Even Halo 1's "let's just copy and paste this level backwards" level design is more level design than the average open world title gets.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I dunno if it's gonna be a full open world or more like a set of of larger, sprawling levels that let you tackle its objectives in whatever order you want. Notably, when the map screen is open it looks like the zones are literally broken up, and there's also not the icon and menu slew you see in a most open-world games, though I guess that's from the early part of the campaign.

There's also the fact that if this one's gimmick is that you can traverse the entire Halo, well, given that it's a thin ring you pretty much always have to be moving forwards to some extent.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 24, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

I dunno if it's gonna be a full open world or more like a set of of larger, sprawling levels that let you tackle its objectives in whatever order you want. Notably, when the map screen is open it looks like the zones are literally broken up, and there's also not the icon and menu slew you see in a most open-world games, though I guess that's from the early part of the campaign.

There's also the fact that if this one's gimmick is that you can traverse the entire Halo, well, given that it's a thin ring you pretty much always have to be moving forwards to some extent.

I dunno, that map screen iconography looked straight up open-world to me, that was my assumption. But we could see where it goes if they give more details.

I'm expecting it to be like Halo's Edge: Catalyst

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pretty sure those broken up sections are just how the terrain is; there's an icon already across one of the gaps so its not like those are levels.

Those gun battery icons are some straight up Assassin's Creed Towers / Farcry Outposts.

E: Eh, I guess his current mission is to destroy all the gun batteries so maybe not...

Also looks like there's a blue icon, maybe for fast travel? I'm getting major open world vibes.

"View Missions" makes it sound like you'll be hanging out in the same space doing lots of side-quests and main quests.

Hopefully there's more than one area, so you can like leave whatever Halo ring and go to some alien planet or something, but maybe not.

E: I do like that they've gone back to more of a Halo 1 look than what 343i was doing with Halo 4/5. Enemies are now bright flat colors, that's good. Things got too detailed and muddy in 4/5. This reads cleaner.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 24, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The ring looks a lot smaller. There's something about the skybox scale that makes the ring's curvature look much tighter than a 10,000km diameter should be.

Granted this a problem with scale that Halo has had ever since Halo 2. The Ring in Halo 3 looks hilariously tiny when you see it at the end of The Covenant.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 24, 2020

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Really, Really not liking that there is an upgrades tab

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tythas posted:

343i doesn't seem to know much about designing FPS; Halo 4 and 5 were some weird frankenstein of half Halo and half COD because they thought that's what kids liked these days and they were chasing fads.

Infinite seems like its got a lot of ideas pulled from Doom. They have a hookshot and upgrades, we have a hookshot and upgrades. :v:

Just copying better FPS developers' homework.

With an engine that supports a big open world I wonder if there will be a Battle Royale mode :cheeky:

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

getting killed in Halo: Warzone by hackers sniping me from the opposite side of the halo ring

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Whoever had the bright idea to make the H2 skull achievements tied to Legendary can go suck an egg.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Working my way through Reach, and while yeah, I kinda figured they wouldn't make it through, Kat's death felt really dumb and cheap, bordering on nonsensical. Ah yes, there just happened to be a dude on phantom waiting to snipe through a crack in the ceiling. With that covenant sniper rifle that exists in the game.

Does that dude have a book? Must be pretty special to make that shot.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Whoever had the bright idea to make the H2 skull achievements tied to Legendary can go suck an egg.

It was that way originally, so I think they kept it. In back-porting skulls to H1 I guess they decided to be lax / make them in the remaster mode only.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 24, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They're like that because they only show up on Legendary to begin with

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kat got headshot by a needle rifle while her shields were out. I liked that it was sort of a bullshit death, it happens all the time in multi :v:

RBA Starblade posted:

They're like that because they only show up on Legendary to begin with

E: wait what happened

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kat had the bad luck to be playing Legendary Outskirts from Halo 2 while the rest of the team was playing New Alexandria and she stumbled into jackal sniper alley.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tythas posted:

I just noticed that the map tab is called "TACMAP" and for some reason that's really funny to me.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Oxyclean posted:

Working my way through Reach, and while yeah, I kinda figured they wouldn't make it through, Kat's death felt really dumb and cheap, bordering on nonsensical. Ah yes, there just happened to be a dude on phantom waiting to snipe through a crack in the ceiling. With that covenant sniper rifle that exists in the game.

Does that dude have a book? Must be pretty special to make that shot.

It was that way originally, so I think they kept it. In back-porting skulls to H1 I guess they decided to be lax / make them in the remaster mode only.

They don't really sit down and explain it but all the pieces are there:

1)The dude who killed her was the zealot leader from the first mission, and also the last at the very end. He's been keeping tabs/hunting Noble.

2) Kat's transmissions were traced- the first time was at the end of New Alexandria, which is why you have to defend the Oni building, and then Carter was talking to some dude telling them to go do The Package so that transmission got traced too.

3) Kat's shields were out after the emp from the glassing. Rest of Noble's too.

So it's basically the best of the best of the Elites have been following Noble team, traced their transmission, and hit them at a perfect time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

They don't really sit down and explain it but all the pieces are there:

1)The dude who killed her was the zealot leader from the first mission, and also the last at the very end. He's been keeping tabs/hunting Noble.

2) Kat's transmissions were traced- the first time was at the end of New Alexandria, which is why you have to defend the Oni building, and then Carter was talking to some dude telling them to go do The Package so that transmission got traced too.

3) Kat's shields were out after the emp from the glassing. Rest of Noble's too.

So it's basically the best of the best of the Elites have been following Noble team, traced their transmission, and hit them at a perfect time.

That makes a bit more sense. I played the first few missions then took a long break so I totally forgot about the zealot leader / didn't realize he was hunting down Noble. I also didn't pick up that everyone's shields were out too. They did play up the fact the communications weren't secure, so I'll give them that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So Halo 1-4, ODST, Reach, and Infinite are all gonna be in PC, but no 5? I’m here to say that Halo 5 and Fable 2 need to come to PC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think that ever clicked for me about the zealot, neat

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just saw the Halo Infinite trailer. Oh boy, I can't wait to play Master Chief while some doofus constantly whines and berates me the entire time, what an exciting fantasy to sink myself into. I haven't played a Halo since 3 so I guess Cortana is gone and this is our new guy on the radio. Also, why are the graphics on par with an Xbox One launch title? This game ought to be absolutely gorgeous; this is the flagship title of your new console!

I really enjoyed the original Halo trilogy but there was just nothing in that trailer that made me believe that this is either a better version of those games or a good new direction for the franchise. I dunno, I'm disappointed. This new console generation is going to be the first time that I have the ability to reasonably buy each console at launch, but I have no idea why I would buy an Xbox. I was hoping the new Halo would be the killer app that hooked me.

Everwild and Grounded look good but aren't my kind of thing. At this point, I think Microsoft would have to buy BioWare from EA and release a new Jade Empire to make me want the system. Or maybe a new Left 4 Dead or Crimson Skies.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Pretty sure those broken up sections are just how the terrain is; there's an icon already across one of the gaps so its not like those are levels.

Those gun battery icons are some straight up Assassin's Creed Towers / Farcry Outposts.

E: Eh, I guess his current mission is to destroy all the gun batteries so maybe not...

Also looks like there's a blue icon, maybe for fast travel? I'm getting major open world vibes.

"View Missions" makes it sound like you'll be hanging out in the same space doing lots of side-quests and main quests.

Hopefully there's more than one area, so you can like leave whatever Halo ring and go to some alien planet or something, but maybe not.

E: I do like that they've gone back to more of a Halo 1 look than what 343i was doing with Halo 4/5. Enemies are now bright flat colors, that's good. Things got too detailed and muddy in 4/5. This reads cleaner.

They did say that this slice was from midgame so something I could see working is having some "normal" levels and then some of these more open levels, which wouldn't be that weird. Think Halo 3 and the "blow up the AA Wraiths" or "Shut down the shield towers" missions; you could make those open world by just not having the map be linear. That might be kinda fun.

CE sorta had this in the level Halo where you had to rescue the marines at the hills, rock slide, and structures.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

surf rock posted:

Just saw the Halo Infinite trailer. Oh boy, I can't wait to play Master Chief while some doofus constantly whines and berates me the entire time, what an exciting fantasy to sink myself into

Yeah this really turned me off.

Halo is supposed to be military fiction with a bunch of wild mystery alien scifi.

Halo 4 was power rangers and Infinite is like... I don't even know. Farcry tone basically.

JerikTelorian posted:

They did say that this slice was from midgame so something I could see working is having some "normal" levels and then some of these more open levels, which wouldn't be that weird. Think Halo 3 and the "blow up the AA Wraiths" or "Shut down the shield towers" missions; you could make those open world by just not having the map be linear. That might be kinda fun.

CE sorta had this in the level Halo where you had to rescue the marines at the hills, rock slide, and structures.

That's true, we could be overreacting a little bit. Maybe its still a linear campaign of missions on different maps but some of them are just really wide open?

But then if this isn't an open world game the level design looks pretty bland.

The fact this comes out in 2020 supposedly and we have no idea how it really plays beyond "its an FPS with Halo guns and Halo badguys" is kinda concerning. Confirmation on things like co-op or multiplayer would be pretty good...

Why is there no footage of multiplayer at all? Feels like this is gonna be rushed.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 24, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's the first gameplay footage - doesn't feel that strange to not show MP?

I thought they were also specifically spinning this one as open-worldish, not like, one or two missions have open design?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmdb-KmlzD8

The announcement/engine reveal trailer from 2 years back looks better.

The background geometry being all squares in the new trailer looks really goofy. The dropships look like something made in Simple Planes. It looks like a cartoon? Also there was super obvious pop-in when they went up the elevator.

Everything looks so much worse than 5/2 Anniversary.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Carnaticum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmdb-KmlzD8

The announcement/engine reveal trailer from 2 years back looks better.

The background geometry being all squares in the new trailer looks really goofy. The dropships look like something made in Simple Planes. It looks like a cartoon? Also there was super obvious pop-in when they went up the elevator.

Everything looks so much worse than 5/2 Anniversary.

It is clearly stylized more heavily than that trailer (now). Inno. When I was watching it, i wasnt terribly upset about it. Im not expecting a night/day difference. They are pushing 4k /60 / raytracing more than actual visuals. So it doesnt surprise me.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I really like how they didn't even try to make the Phantoms look like they were even flying, they look like they are mine carts on rails they way they turn and whatnot

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That video reminded me of the time Red Vs Blue tried to shill for Zune.

Remember Zune?

Zune pass was ahead of its time.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Tythas posted:

I really like how they didn't even try to make the Phantoms look like they were even flying, they look like they are mine carts on rails they way they turn and whatnot

Oh wow, I thought those were supposed to be a different type of ship.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

UnknownTarget posted:

Oh wow, I thought those were supposed to be a different type of ship.

they're supposed to be the Banished's version of them which is why the look different but the model itself looks way unfinished as well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

strategery posted:

They are pushing 4k /60 / raytracing more than actual visuals.

That's like when they pushed Minecraft 4k as an xbox feature

If you have to downgrade the visuals to xbox 360 level to get 4k60, maybe don't do 4k60.

E: I do love the huge blue blood splats

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 24, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They won't but they should add a poo poo ton of skulls and greebles and things to find, jumping around outside levels looking for stuff is one of the best parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

gently caress Flood in small rooms and absolutely double gently caress them in small rooms when they have rocket launchers. Is it worth playing with a capped framerate in Halo: CE? I've read that frames way over 60 can cause weird timing issues making enemies much faster or what have you. My FPS stays around 110-140, is that too much?