Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1286438377148088320?s=20

https://twitter.com/AlKapDC/status/1100751489839099904?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what the gently caress is that insanity. jesus christ. I am not a sports person. so i never knew how hosed up this poo poo was.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1286436564332150784?s=19

https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/1286446156726312961?s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i mean, its a better thrown than mine.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress is that insanity. jesus christ. I am not a sports person. so i never knew how hosed up this poo poo was.

They've been bad for a while in the usual sports bro way, but he has really gone off the deepend in the last year

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I usually like Wyman's stuff but this is off. If the mainstream narrative is going to be of chickens coming home to roost then I would expect the people who are writing about this to at least acknowledge that this is not the first time we've had fascist violence in this country in this century alone and that much of that's happening in Portland is the status quo for a significant portion of this country.
It's certainly true that fascist violence in America isn't a post-911 development, but the entire...I'm not sure what the right word for it is--look and feel? narrative framework? Whatever. But all of the visual trappings and cultural signifiers and the language we use, the entire grammar of this-particular-moment American fascist violence is absolutely informed by and a product of post-911 American foreign policy.

It's like yeah it's true that modern policing and the modern penitentiary system are absolutely a continuation of a history of systemic oppression and apartheid that has its origin in the Atlantic slave trade, but modern policing and the modern penitentiary system are worth considering in their own right specifically because they are functionally the same as the older systems yet are designed to read differently to the general public. Like right now you ask most Americans if the Atlantic slave trade was bad and they'll tell you yeah, terrible, it's good we got rid of that, omg no I'm not a racist why would you even ask me that, while at the same time act like you're some sort of crazy anarchist if you suggest that cops and prisons are a direct continuation of that system. And not just because of conscious intellectual dishonesty. I mean the worst ride-or-die MAGAheads are just hard-r racist and will argue in bad faith. But the huge pasty white midsection of America honestly believes that they're not racist while being absolutely willing to go to bat for systemic racism. That's not an accident, it's because modern American racism isn't a historical accident, and it's not something that people are just born with. It's a technology that's been refined and revised over the course of centuries to achieve precisely this result.

The fact that a similar sort of boiling-the-frog constant revision of the machinery of fascist violence is going on is something that I think is worth calling out, not in the belief that it's functionally different but because it's functionally the same but is somehow or other being parsed as if it was different.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also what the gently caress is plandemic. i have seen it float around facebook on from new age relatives and sometimes chuds.
It's a conspiracy theory video about COVID-19. It claims the virus was created in a lab by ~*big pharma*~ to make money on vaccines. Also that the flu vaccine combined with COVID-19 is super deadly. Also Bill Gates has something to do with it in some nebulous way. Also wearing masks "activates" the virus. Also, hospitals are inflating the numbers because they get paid a bounty when a COVID-19 patient dies. Also you should go to the beach because seawater contains "healing microbes" and the sand does...something...that destroy the coronavirus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SubG posted:

It's a conspiracy theory video about COVID-19. It claims the virus was created in a lab by ~*big pharma*~ to make money on vaccines. Also that the flu vaccine combined with COVID-19 is super deadly. Also Bill Gates has something to do with it in some nebulous way. Also wearing masks "activates" the virus. Also, hospitals are inflating the numbers because they get paid a bounty when a COVID-19 patient dies. Also you should go to the beach because seawater contains "healing microbes" and the sand does...something...that destroy the coronavirus.

thats depressing. yeah, not surprised why new age types latched on. so was the lady ever really an MD or it all insane spite poo poo.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Is this real??? I know barstool is chud garbage, but this is EXTREME

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1286446796181508106

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1286455767462219778

Oh boy, more insane rambling!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol what a dipshit.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Are Twitter embeds hosed up for anyone else or just me?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

whydirt posted:

Not just you. They have been off since I got off work

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Is this real??? I know barstool is chud garbage, but this is EXTREME

Yes, it is a podcast of just the black employees (I guess that is what makes it alright to call it that in their eyes)

Its still Yikes and still hosted on their site

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1286460331842244608

Awwww look at him havin' a catch

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

whydirt posted:

Working for me. Mine usually break when I somehow get logged out of Twitter. Too many requests unless logged in will break them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats depressing. yeah, not surprised why new age types latched on. so was the lady ever really an MD or it all insane spite poo poo.
Judy Mikovits is a PhD doctor, not an MD doctor, although her PhD is in biochemistry and from a real university (George Washington University).

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yes, it is a podcast of just the black employees (I guess that is what makes it alright to call it that in their eyes)

Its still Yikes

wat :psyboom:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

He is 79

https://twitter.com/RepAndyBiggsAZ/status/1286443647576178688?s=19

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

whydirt posted:

Oh good, someone else is seeing it. I thought it might just be me or the iOS Awful app. I get just the text.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah because its totally going away you inbred piece of poo poo.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

whydirt posted:

If I piss it off, it starts flashing black and white at me, (posting from the awful app).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

why are regressives so god dmaned loving stupid and "gently caress you dad ,you dont tell me what to do".

like they would scream how a landmine isnt so bad before being turned into hamberburger

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

SubG posted:

It's certainly true that fascist violence in America isn't a post-911 development, but the entire...I'm not sure what the right word for it is--look and feel? narrative framework? Whatever. But all of the visual trappings and cultural signifiers and the language we use, the entire grammar of this-particular-moment American fascist violence is absolutely informed by and a product of post-911 American foreign policy.
of centuries to achieve precisely this result.

The fact that a similar sort of boiling-the-frog constant revision of the machinery of fascist violence is going on is something that I think is worth calling out, not in the belief that it's functionally different but because it's functionally the same but is somehow or other being parsed as if it was different.

I agree that it's worth calling out but the way there genealogy of these developments is being narrativized seems to me to be leaving out quite a lot. I fully expect that the domestic influences and applications will be "discovered" and mainstreamed in twenty years much the same way that people figured out that Nazis got their ideas for racialized genocide and eugenics from stuff that Americans had done to captive populations both at home and abroad.

This podcast in particular is two Black guys who got a bunch of the other Black staffers at Barstool to come on the show and have a "real discussion".

Except that the hosts didn't tell anyone else of the conciliatory tone they were gonna take, nor did they tell them about what the title was going to be. The hosts basically acted as apologists for racists and made it look like the other Black staff agreed with them.

TylerIAm, the guy tagged there, ended up quitting over it and the barstool response to the whole thing in general. Which is unfortunate because he's one of the funniest guys around and hopefully he can land somewhere else.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Did they seriously give him a #19 jersey?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Hey dumbass! Between the hundreds of tweets and daily televised speeches your message has already gotten out there.

Everyone just thinks it sucks rear end.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Djarum posted:

It really is remarkable, especially at how crazy the police has been. It’s a ticking time bomb though and especially with trigger happy Feds lurking about now I worry if that will stop.

Djarum posted:

I am honestly 1000% amazed that no one has started shooting cops yet.

Same, but relieved - because once it starts, it ain't gonna stop.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This guy represents Arizona.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

lmao the stimulus/UI section of the gop corona bill is literally "TBD"

country gonna get Ice Cold

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mat Cauthon posted:

I agree that it's worth calling out but the way there genealogy of these developments is being narrativized seems to me to be leaving out quite a lot. I fully expect that the domestic influences and applications will be "discovered" and mainstreamed in twenty years much the same way that people figured out that Nazis got their ideas for racialized genocide and eugenics from stuff that Americans had done to captive populations both at home and abroad.

This podcast in particular is two Black guys who got a bunch of the other Black staffers at Barstool to come on the show and have a "real discussion".

Except that the hosts didn't tell anyone else of the conciliatory tone they were gonna take, nor did they tell them about what the title was going to be. The hosts basically acted as apologists for racists and made it look like the other Black staff agreed with them.

TylerIAm, the guy tagged there, ended up quitting over it and the barstool response to the whole thing in general. Which is unfortunate because he's one of the funniest guys around and hopefully he can land somewhere else.

I don’t want to generalize, and I certainly understand that media jobs are incredibly rare and precious and difficult to come by, and I don’t begrudge a journalist taking work where they can get it, but I have to look at this situation and ask: was anybody surprised?

Like, I don’t want to be all “this is the same as black/brown/queer/trans republicans being somehow ‘shocked and dismayed’ when their colleagues treat them with the same bigotry that they use on the left” but it’s loving Barstool.

I don’t think you can work at a place like that without having internalized and agreed with at least some of the toxicity. I’m just getting peak “leopards eating faces” vibes from this whole deal.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

God, he actually looks like a normal human for once. Not saying he's the picture of athleticism or anything, but if he can swing the sticks he might not embarrass himself on the mound. Unfortunately we won't be able to hear the wave of boos coming from Yankee Stadium.

Going back to the 1619 Project, I'm just getting around to exploring it and I was curious what some legit criticisms of it that some people ITT mentioned would be? Afraid to use Google and go down a rabbit hole of ignorance.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

If anyone is running pihole on your network it might be blocking Twitter embeds, I had to whitelist the domain to get it to work again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/jennerific713/status/1286455937956491265?s=20

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol individual State Republican Parties are so freaked out by Trumps crusade against mail in voting that they’re fabricating tweets of his in a desperate attempt to get their constituency to request and use mail in ballots.

Florida GOP doctors Trump tweet to solve mail-in voting problem

quote:

Republicans privately fear the president is endangering one of the secrets to the party’s success in the nation’s biggest swing state.

MIAMI — President Donald Trump’s harsh rhetoric against mail-in voting is causing a big problem for Florida Republicans, who once dominated the practice here.

So the state GOP came up with a solution: They doctored one of Trump’s tweets on the issue to remove the stigma.

https://twitter.com/BowTiePolitics/status/1286111357239209984

https://twitter.com/JustinforJoCo/status/1286102836380655616

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

In an alternate universe, Fred Trump was kind to his son Donald and taught him the values of charity and community. Philanthropist Donald Trump is seen here on the White House lawn playing catch with dozens of Make A Wish children, who are having a meet and greet with several retired MLB stars and President Sanders before hopping into limos filled with McDonalds happy meals and driving to the stadium with Trump for a sky box view of the opening day game.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

I mean, they stood back up for the national anthem, so it's not really "in defiance"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t want to generalize, and I certainly understand that media jobs are incredibly rare and precious and difficult to come by, and I don’t begrudge a journalist taking work where they can get it, but I have to look at this situation and ask: was anybody surprised?

Like, I don’t want to be all “this is the same as black/brown/queer/trans republicans being somehow ‘shocked and dismayed’ when their colleagues treat them with the same bigotry that they use on the left” but it’s loving Barstool.

I don’t think you can work at a place like that without having internalized and agreed with at least some of the toxicity. I’m just getting peak “leopards eating faces” vibes from this whole deal.

Barstool is a cesspool, no argument, however if you've been paying attention to the various media controversies around race and journalism playing out in literally every major publication right now it's fairly apparent that even the most prestigious institutions have deep seated problems with discrimination and bias that have, hindered, derailed or outright ended the careers of lots of minorites. NYT, LA Times, ESPN, take your pick. They are all having a reckoning right now.

Marginalized people, minorities in particular, don't get to just opt out of opportunities because we feel like our boss or our co-worker are bigoted. Every day is a negotiation between standing up for yourself (and whatever group you represent) or eating poo poo with a smile so you can keep the lights on. We don't get the same opportunities, so even one misstep can mean your career is effectively over. If I had quit every job I've had where someone said bigoted things or treated me badly because of my race I wouldn't have made it past a week in any of them.

I've been following TylerIAm for years, so I'm probably biased to be sympathetic because I saw him hustle endlessly before getting that barstool platform. He's one of the most talented guys out there and he gave up a cushy gig because he as a Black person felt that he couldn't be associated with an overtly lovely institution anymore since it would be implicitly cosigning their bigotry.

That's the choice we have to make, all the time.None of us chose to live in a world like this, it's nothing like some regretful Trump voter realizing that Trump is bad for them to after they get crapped on by his policies. Your assumption that a marginalized person must hate themselves because they do what they have to survive in an entirely hosed up world is insulting.

Anyway.

Government is broken, somebody needs to restart this thing. Maybe do a factory reset.

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1286457428083695622?s=19

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 24, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/newschannelnine/status/1286441965786025984?s=20

https://twitter.com/replouiegohmert/status/1286396956315717644?s=20

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1286474418340990976

The Mad King is fantasizing about invading and occupying an American city.