Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Kassad posted:

Or rework the Scythians or Mongols along these lines. Or copy the Phoenician ability to move the capital, but to any city with an encampment district (not very unique, though). I wonder how easy it would be to mod this in, actually.

They could get a lot of mileage by adding new leaders to the various civs to represent different time periods or dynasties or regions. Basically add a bunch of leaders to India or China.

Just finished a Domination Chandragupta game and I can say India has enough leader variety already. That was fun dominating a Pangaea map though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Yeah no they really said gently caress Georgia with this one. Hope they either add another Tamar personality like teddy/Catherine, or just patch in some kind of advantage. I can see her being fun but I have no idea how to get there when none of her poo poo has anything to do with each other, or with her bonuses.

She should get automatic walls from the start of the game. If your leader's entire THING is just "walls" then 50% production is just weak sauce. As it is, I have never even attempted a Georgia game and will only eventually do so for completionism.

djfooboo posted:

A Bedouin culture with small moving cities?

I pitched a version of this last month that I think would be great:

showbiz_liz posted:

I've been thinking about a potential civ that could function as a kind of barbarian king.

-You can only settle your first city, but it's mobile. The city center looks like a tent settlement, and if you want to move, it turns into a caravan. While mobile the caravan could take a hit to yields. When settled, the city would be immune to loyalty pressure. You can put your districts (also groups of tents) wherever you want each time you settle. (Wonders obviously wouldn't be compatible with this.)
-You can't become a friend or ally of any other civ.
-Any barbarian units you encounter automatically join you.
-Your units, or possibly just a unique unit, can have an ability that gives a small chance to recruit another civ's units to your side.
-You can't take over other civs' cities, only raze them, but doing so gives huge rewards to balance out your low yields from having only one city. Also extra yields from raiding and pillaging.
-Potentially you get extra city-state envoys, reflecting your underdog status. And maybe your suzerained city-states send you regular tribute.

I don't know what historical civ/leader this could be, though.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Piling on that Bull Moose Teddy is a totally fair and balanced leader with a lackluster ability.

Just a turn one 8-yield tile, like you do. I ended up with a +5 Campus off against a mountain to the west, and an early Relic from a village because I clearly needed a free faith boost.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh man, setting up a vampire castle near a volcano is amazing, yes I'd love to add a free 11 food/11 prod to my capital

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Also I want them to add Armenia or Lakota (with tribal permission). What are some of everyone's dream civs that haven't been included yet? Or dream leaders for extant civ 6 civs?
A modern Italy would be interesting - heavily culture focussed with significant military penalties against other civs. Maybe a way to annex nearby city-states either peacefully or not-so-peacefully to simulate the Risorgimento. Not sure if the capital should be Turin (as it was the original capital of the Kingdom of Sardinia) or Florence (as that's where the modern Italian language derives from).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This is probably a dumb mod question, but is there anything that prevents my cities from turning into boring samey skyscrapers in the modern era? I always hate that stage in the game because suddenly my unique cultured cities look awful, but I do appreciate the other late game mechanics to not just want a mod that stops at medieval or whatever. :ohdear:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Are there any mods that automate making railroads? I want to be able to pick a route and have them make it turn to turn.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I wish these secret societies would change the way the leader graphics look. I want my Teddy Roosevelt to have vampire fangs drat it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Are there any mods that automate making railroads? I want to be able to pick a route and have them make it turn to turn.

This right here is the worst change from Civ V imo.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Yeah no they really said gently caress Georgia with this one. Hope they either add another Tamar personality like teddy/Catherine, or just patch in some kind of advantage. I can see her being fun but I have no idea how to get there when none of her poo poo has anything to do with each other, or with her bonuses.

Also I want them to add Armenia or Lakota (with tribal permission). What are some of everyone's dream civs that haven't been included yet? Or dream leaders for extant civ 6 civs?

I think Rome should get one of the late stage despots as an alternate. Plus maybe like an Inuit or Etruscan or an Australian Aborigine group or Haiti or Cuba or something. Iceland? Albania? Mexico? Yugoslavia? Just spitballing. No idea how any of these would work or even if they would be appropriate in some cases.

Adding a Sassanid Persian leader like Khosrau would be neat to have a more econ focused Persia. HRE-era Austria focused on city states would be a nice addition - I know they made Germany kind of represent the HRE as well, but it's not the same. It's also odd that there's no Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire representation. Serbia could work but I'm pretty sure they don't want to touch the issues that would bring up with a 10 foot pole. Goths could use some representation. There's obviously a ton of options for additional Chinese leaders. I'd love to see some of the various empires of the Indian subcontinent get separate representation but it seems like we're stuck with "India" standing in for all of them which sucks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Georgia gets double envoys and infinite golden ages if you manage to get the ball rolling. It's far from the best civ out there, but especially the envoys thing is great when you're not playing on "the player can never found a religion"-difficulties.

Also they get the best music and the best city tile set!

Also the world finally caught up to the point where I was allowed to recruit cultists. They're more or less just simpler indie rock bands, but I do appreciate that one of the Lovecraftian artifacts you can unearth is "Civilization 2: Hint Guide."

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 24, 2020

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Is anyone else getting complete disaster insanity when Apocalypse Mode is off? In my current game i'm on Turn 37 and I've had 4 floods (2 major, 1 100 year, 1 1000 year), every volcano near me has switched from dormant to active and one of them has erupted 3 times including one of the eruptions being catastrophic. My previous attempt at Ethopia went to poo poo because the volcano just kept erupting, over and over and over and made trying to take advantage of the volcanic soil essentially impossible. I've been seeing this both modded and unmodded.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TaintedBalance posted:

Is anyone else getting complete disaster insanity when Apocalypse Mode is off? In my current game i'm on Turn 37 and I've had 4 floods (2 major, 1 100 year, 1 1000 year), every volcano near me has switched from dormant to active and one of them has erupted 3 times including one of the eruptions being catastrophic. My previous attempt at Ethopia went to poo poo because the volcano just kept erupting, over and over and over and made trying to take advantage of the volcanic soil essentially impossible. I've been seeing this both modded and unmodded.

Are you playing on Deity? I'm doing a Deity game with disasters set to default, and one of my cities loses citizens to a flood or volcano every fifteen turns or so.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Chamale posted:

Are you playing on Deity? I'm doing a Deity game with disasters set to default, and one of my cities loses citizens to a flood or volcano every fifteen turns or so.

Prince since I was mostly just loving around and trying out new features. It's uh...amusing but also unplayable.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I would want Tonga. I always thought it was cool that they were on their Island by 1000 BC and were dominating other islands in a wide geographic are by the 12th century

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh man, setting up a vampire castle near a volcano is amazing, yes I'd love to add a free 11 food/11 prod to my capital

That sounds amazing. I did a similar one to a very good Natural Wonder that was full of Culture. Does the Vampire Castle resist being destroyed/pillaged by eruptions?

Speaking of Tonga, I want a nation that is immune to Volcanic destruction. Any island civilization from the Ring of Fire would do.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TaintedBalance posted:

Prince since I was mostly just loving around and trying out new features. It's uh...amusing but also unplayable.

i'm surprised that the expansion started out reasonable but they finally added bugs in a patch to meet my predictions

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played a lot of the original VI but fell off after a month or so of heavy duty play.

I'm just jumping back in after getting the two main expansion packs, and I have a few questions:

My friends want to play multiplayer, and they have the season pass and want to try Secret Societies. Do I need to get the pass to play with them?

The non-season pass Civ packs all have negative reviews on Steam. Is this just the usual gamer griping and will I be OK getting them (10 bucks for 7 Civs sounds all right in terms of value) and will I be able to use them in a multiplayer match if other players don't own them?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The standalone civ packs are fine (Australia is sorta OP), and I'm guessing the reviews are just steamed gamers.

I don't know about Frontier Pass features in multiplayer, but you can definitely use the civ pack civs in multiplayer even if other players do not have those.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Georgia gets double envoys and infinite golden ages if you manage to get the ball rolling. It's far from the best civ out there, but especially the envoys thing is great when you're not playing on "the player can never found a religion"-difficulties.

Also they get the best music and the best city tile set!

Also the world finally caught up to the point where I was allowed to recruit cultists. They're more or less just simpler indie rock bands, but I do appreciate that one of the Lovecraftian artifacts you can unearth is "Civilization 2: Hint Guide."

Yeah, infinite golden ages is pretty dang sweet in and of itself. I think that was previously Persia's gimmick in Civ V but since Persia is run by Cyrus and focuses on backstabbing it's a little different, haha.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, infinite golden ages is pretty dang sweet in and of itself. I think that was previously Persia's gimmick in Civ V but since Persia is run by Cyrus and focuses on backstabbing it's a little different, haha.

Why did they make Cyrus the Great about backstabbing? Or is he meant to be another Cyrus? Backstabbing isn't what I'd associate with Cyrus the Great.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've never been able to just build 3 national parks as soon as I unlocked Conservation....but gently caress I don't think I want to give up a tile like that (which isn't even improved, the volcano ate it).

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I think Rome should get one of the late stage despots as an alternate. Plus maybe like an Inuit or Etruscan or an Australian Aborigine group or Haiti or Cuba or something. Iceland? Albania? Mexico? Yugoslavia? Just spitballing. No idea how any of these would work or even if they would be appropriate in some cases.

I think Cuba with Castro would be a cool one, but they probably want to shy away from doing figures that contemporary and controversial (no Stalin or Mao like Civ 1-4). Similarly (but wouldn't make QUITE as many people mad), Thomas Sankara of Burkina Faso would be cool, but he was only leader of a small country for four years, not exactly an empire.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've never been able to just build 3 national parks as soon as I unlocked Conservation....but gently caress I don't think I want to give up a tile like that (which isn't even improved, the volcano ate it).

I thought you could work tiles in a National Park, as long as they aren't improved?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Chamale posted:

I thought you could work tiles in a National Park, as long as they aren't improved?

Oh poo poo you're right. Guess I'm getting all 3 parks (once I get the faith).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Time to appease the gods again! Throws giant death robot into the volcano

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure why each society doesn't open up the first time you find or do the thing you need to find or do. I've had a game where I simply never got the voidsingers no matter how many villages I popped, and i saw the same thing happen to potato mcwhiskey.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Think I found the perfect Civ for using Vampires: Scythia! All their units heal on enemy kills, which helps the Vampires get past how tricky it is to heal normally.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

Not sure why each society doesn't open up the first time you find or do the thing you need to find or do. I've had a game where I simply never got the voidsingers no matter how many villages I popped, and i saw the same thing happen to potato mcwhiskey.

My guess is that they don't want people to gun for a specific society, by making it a random element you have to react to the once you get it. You also get the risk-reward of taking the first one you received and maximizing your plays with it vs holding off for a society that is more optimal....but you risk losing out on the early benefits. That's my guess anyway, I still think it is a bad idea though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

I wish these secret societies would change the way the leader graphics look. I want my Teddy Roosevelt to have vampire fangs drat it.

If you could tell which society a leader was in just by looking, it wouldn't be a secret society anymore.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well my friend is now telling me that I will need the Ethiopia pack to play Secret Societies with them.

If I pay for the Ethiopia pack now, what will happen if I decide I want the rest of what's in the pass? Is the Pass a "Best Value" scenario where if I buy things piecemeal I'm gonna end up paying a lot more?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I had an inevitable Culture victory going with 3 parks, and pulled ahead in the space race after sabotaging all of Gandhi's spaceports.

But instead I accidentally won a pretty on the nose Diplomatic victory by building the Statue of Liberty for the exact number of points I needed. 'Merica!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

They kinda tried that with Civilization Beyond Earth but it was half-hearted. You never got leaders fully mutating into bugmen or cyborgs or looking like Warhammer 40k Imperium guys (even though one of the three alighnments is totally just that).

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

kingcobweb posted:

I think Cuba with Castro would be a cool one, but they probably want to shy away from doing figures that contemporary and controversial (no Stalin or Mao like Civ 1-4). Similarly (but wouldn't make QUITE as many people mad), Thomas Sankara of Burkina Faso would be cool, but he was only leader of a small country for four years, not exactly an empire.

It would be fun to have Sankara though.

You could maybe get loose with this history and have him be one of the leaders of Ghana or Hausaland or one of the other big empires that occupied Burkina Faso territory in the past.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well my friend is now telling me that I will need the Ethiopia pack to play Secret Societies with them.

If I pay for the Ethiopia pack now, what will happen if I decide I want the rest of what's in the pass? Is the Pass a "Best Value" scenario where if I buy things piecemeal I'm gonna end up paying a lot more?

It looks like the Catherine and Roosevelt reskins are locked to buying the pass as a whole and would be impossible to get if you bought piecemeal, on top of whatever the price difference would be

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Ragnar34 posted:

Someone at Civfanatics looked at the code.

quote:

Yes, there is a base percentage chance that can be modded (e.g. You have a 70% chance to be invited to join the Voidsingers when a goody hut is entered.) However, the four triggers are hardcoded, but they could be switched around among the four SSs if you wanted.

The other percentages are:
80% chance for Owls of Minerva when discovering a CS.
100% chance for Hermetic Order when discovering a NW.
70% chance for Sanguine Pact when entering a Barb camp.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

kingcobweb posted:

Israel would be cool as a civ that's IRL both ancient and modern, but I think it falls under the 'controversial' heading for several reasons.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wait is it discovering a CS or sending an envoy to a CS (including the free one for first discovery) that triggers Owls to appear?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

It looks like the Catherine and Roosevelt reskins are locked to buying the pass as a whole and would be impossible to get if you bought piecemeal, on top of whatever the price difference would be

This seems like such a nickel and dime move... but they got me.

I guess I should play as the new Catherine persona just to maximize my value, it's all about settling near luxuries right

Edit: maybe I should pick the Teddy Roosevelt Rough Rider persona since this is a 7-player FFA lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

homullus posted:

If you could tell which society a leader was in just by looking, it wouldn't be a secret society anymore.

But you can tell from looking at the diplomacy screen...