Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SCheeseman posted:

Vox Machinae has one of the best VR cockpits around.

And it’s a secret Mechwarrior VR game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Do they have proper missions or is it more multiplayer based? Viewed some review that said the AI sucks at the moment and there isn't much to do mission-wise.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Its mostly multiplayer, but it's really good multiplayer.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MrOnBicycle posted:

Do they have proper missions or is it more multiplayer based? Viewed some review that said the AI sucks at the moment and there isn't much to do mission-wise.

It has the most barebones singleplayer. Just generic compstomping. Like, the concept is cool as hell (though the sense of scale doesn't come through very well IMO) but there isn't much to do.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SCheeseman posted:

Vox Machinae has one of the best VR cockpits around.

I'll never stop being sad they didn't invest in building out a single player campaign. Yeah its a lot more work than multiplayer maps, but its so much lost potential for some amazing vr mech controls.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For Thrill of the Fight, do you lose anything getting it on the Quest or is it feature complete compared to the Steam version?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For Thrill of the Fight, do you lose anything getting it on the Quest or is it feature complete compared to the Steam version?

Same, last I checked, and playing it wirelessly would offset any differences, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Guess the Quest 2(?) is real. Linked because huge image.

https://i.imgur.com/Wq4Ws6y.jpg

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not a fan of the lack of IPD (though i *personally* don't care since my ipd is right in the sweet spot), but I gotta say I LOVE that they updated the controllers to be more like the original touch, and less like the quest/rift slender touch.

Strap looks terrible though, like worse than the quest strap, but with no way to remove it for a 3rd party strap. The strap looks like such a bad step back that I almost want to believe the idea its a cheaper quest sort of go replacement it looks that bad. (its not of course, but the strap looks awful. )

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
With a clearer picture you might be able to see if they maybe have automatic hardeare IPD (sensors look are your eyes and motors adjust the hardware IPD) or more likely a way to set hardware IPD in a menu with motors instead of a physical slider (choose your IPD in menu and motors adjust, that might even be cheaper to manufacture than the physical slider).

If it's really software IPD only then that's a fuckin' no go for both my boyfriend and I at 74 and 59 respectively.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

With eye tracking its trivial to set the IP and have a motor move it, which eliminates the biggest negative of IPD adjustments: Most normal people don't know how the hell to set it . I remember some study oculus did and they found a grotesque majority of users had it set wrong, and not even a little, way wrong.

I've always thought they were waiting for eye tracking to have it done automatically so it Just Works, but at this point it feels like its going to be at a minimum another 2 years before theres even the chance of eye tracking being in.

Honestly more than any other tech, the absolute lack of eye tracking being a standard feature in headsets surprises me more as the years go on.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Considering that they did well enough with the Go that it sounds like they were happy about it as well as with the Rift S, my guess is they'll just try to make it accommodate as wide an IPD as they can without any physical adjustment to make the device cheaper. This definitely looks like a Quest Lite more than anything, I would be really surprised if there was any eye tracking or any other kind of hardware like that

If this ends up being $350 I think that'll be kind of disappointing, if it's $300 I will be extremely happy and if it's $250 I will full on lose my poo poo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did anybody with a sub-60mm IPD buy a Rift S? What were your thoughts about it.

I have a quest and an IPD of ~59 and it feels most comfortable with IPD set to 58-59

Lemming makes a good point that despite a lot of speculation about the fixed IPD of the Rift S, very few complaints arose from it

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I mean there is a case to be made for a fixed IPD, only in so much as the majority are in the average range, and you avoid people who have no clue what the lever does and just push it all the way to one side or the other and ignore it. That said I really still think it needs to be included and handled either automatically with eye tracking or with potentially better onboarding setup, but even then you always have to assume an average customer is dumber than a slug as the high point of your expectations...

Another render image is leaked. I still the the straps are a red flag though. They look identical to the GO and those elastic cloth bands are certainly not what I would want for long use. It just looks like a huge step back for a headband that already got complaints for not being comfortable enough.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Seems like there's some kind of switch between the lenses (the '2' towards the top of the center).

Maybe 2 fixed IPD positions?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Based on this thread I was really worried I had my ipd set wrong. I used an app on my phone and got the exact number I've been setting it to on the quest.

It was the position where I felt like I wasn't cross-eyed, how do people get it wrong??

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That a volume rocker or this supposed motor based IPD?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I set my index at 63.9mm using the in-headset adjustment thingie. I downloaded an app at the thread's recommendation and it measured me at.... 64.0mm :laffo:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

IPD looks to be handled by that switch between the lenses, so it's probably a volume rocker.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

blunt posted:

Seems like there's some kind of switch between the lenses (the '2' towards the top of the center).

Maybe 2 fixed IPD positions?

Oh wow now thats interesting... a switch between them, and the way those eye cups look the optical stack at least appears different from the rift s. Maybe that really was their solution to IP? just a switch btween like narrow middle wide? It certainly *looks* like those eye cups have the ability to move.

Or heres a thought, maybe they add in a setting for relief so the majority can get away without glasses? the shape does look like it would be harder to wear glasses with.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The biggest issue I have with IPD is lens distortion, but provided the eyebox of the lenses is wide enough I guess it may be possible to get away with two settings and correct for scale in software. Not as disappointed now, though the headstrap still looks pretty awful.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah it's a volume control, that's where it is on the current Quest. Another thing I think is interesting from the render is it looks like it might have something better than the sweat nightmare that is the foam faceguard. Probably not a full silicone faceguard but even just having a wipeable cover on foam would be a massive improvement.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ah damnit, and I was just about to finally take my money and get myself a Quest today. Now I'll have to wait to see if it's gonna be cheaper or better.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kikas posted:

Ah damnit, and I was just about to finally take my money and get myself a Quest today. Now I'll have to wait to see if it's gonna be cheaper or better.

According to the leaker, they hinted at september 15th, so there might possibly be the reveal that day. That might be the when OC7 will start as well, however they decide to do that this year after announcing it would be "digital" due to covid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Lemming makes a good point that despite a lot of speculation about the fixed IPD of the Rift S, very few complaints arose from it

I don't think that's necessarily an accurate metric; If you assume people are putting in a bit of research prior to picking out a headset, then they're never gonna actually try the Rift S vs getting something that suites their own IPD.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I wish there was more data behind it but there was also this comment from Nate Mitchell:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-ipd/

quote:

Mitchell suggested this option might be something you access on Oculus Dash. He also noted that this solution might not be “perfect for everyone” but, then again, neither was the original solution. “We actually have a problem with IPD adjust in that a lot of users don’t understand how it works, what it does, so often at times what they’ll do is set the wrong IPD anyway,” he added.

Part of the issue was that even with the IPD adjustment, lots of people didn't really get it or know how to use it, so they set the IPD incorrectly. Making it so "close enough" works better would also help those people, even if they don't know it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I like that calibration screen the Oculus software had on my old Rift, with the green crosses and instructions on how to make them look clean (by adjusting both the headset position and IPD slider). I wonder why SteamVR doesn't have something similar. "gently caress with this knob until the vertical lines look smooth" is easier for most folks to make use of than "set to your IPD" or whatever.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Shine posted:

I like that calibration screen the Oculus software had on my old Rift, with the green crosses and instructions on how to make them look clean (by adjusting both the headset position and IPD slider). I wonder why SteamVR doesn't have something similar. "gently caress with this knob until the vertical lines look smooth" is easier for most folks to make use of than "set to your IPD" or whatever.

Yeah this is like......this best solution for this.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've never tried one, but didn't people say the Go was pretty comfortable? Really hoping it's not a step back from the Quest on that front.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

I've never tried one, but didn't people say the Go was pretty comfortable? Really hoping it's not a step back from the Quest on that front.

I had a Go and it was pretty comfortable for watching full movies and tv series in bed.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SCheeseman posted:

IPD looks to be handled by that switch between the lenses, so it's probably a volume rocker.

That is an absolutely terrible place to put something like that where you want to be able to adjust it while wearing the headset so I seriously doubt that's it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

That is an absolutely terrible place to put something like that where you want to be able to adjust it while wearing the headset so I seriously doubt that's it.

Judging by the number it has two settings, so adjustment isn't likely to take a lot of time.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Looking at it some more, and how strangely deep the optical path is, i wonder if you don't adjust IPD by physicaly grabbing and sliding the housing, and the number there just changes to reflect that, and the part above is the proximity sensor. Everyone kind of forgot about the proximity sensor and if thats not it above the number readout, then I don't know where it would be.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Judging by the number it has two settings, so adjustment isn't likely to take a lot of time.

Gonna be interesting to see the "infinite IPD adjustment" mods and 3D printing surgery projects that come out of this

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Also, if you change it by physically moving the lens housing left and right, it would as well make it easy for people to know what it does.

I know that sounds dumb to anyone who follows threads like this and reads, but there are a lot of people who have no clue what that slider does. They think its a focus knob for glasses or something else silly. Sliding the lens over into different numbered positions would make it impossible to not know what you're doing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What is up with this VR Tetris game I keep hearing about? Is it really that great? I've heard it from like 4 different people that its like amazing or something.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MarcusSA posted:

What is up with this VR Tetris game I keep hearing about? Is it really that great? I've heard it from like 4 different people that its like amazing or something.

Tetris Effect.

Yes, its really that good.

SCheeseman posted:

Id almost bet this will be the case if it has a physical adjustment.

Small/Normal head
Normal/Large head

Then software for the rest or w/e

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

It's just tetris with nice visuals and music, some people will talk about it like it's some mystical experience. It's just nice VR tetris.

^^ like that. Annoying vague praise that doesn't give you any details and when you load it up and get to just play Tetris you will think you're missing something.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 25, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chadzok posted:

It's just tetris with nice visuals and music, some people will talk about it like it's some mystical experience. It's just nice VR tetris.

That is what I've heard from 3 different people but I didn't really see it talked about here re: games that need to be bought for VR lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Has anyone here played the Quest version of Tetris Effect? One of my friends said that it was very flat and he refunded it.

Curious whether the Quest version is a big downgrade or my friend is crazy. He's the first person I've heard say anything bad about the game, but I'm not sure if I've heard anyone else talk about the quest version.