Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

The Monolith isn't meant to be compared to an EK43, it is a low retention single dose grinder.

C'mon. It's a top tier grinder that is used in (and has won) espresso competitions and the highest rated cafes in the world, and they even make single dose hoppers for it. It's absolutely a valid comparison.

The Niche Zero has less business being on that list than the EK43 imo

Is E65s excluded from the list because its hopper holds more than a single dose?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

sellouts posted:

C'mon. It's a top tier grinder that is used in (and has won) espresso competitions and the highest rated cafes in the world, and they even make single dose hoppers for it. It's absolutely a valid comparison.

The Niche Zero has less business being on that list than the EK43 imo

Is E65s excluded from the list because its hopper holds more than a single dose?

Yes, that is why my list was specifically out of the box single dosers, as originally stated

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, that is why my list was specifically out of the box single dosers, as originally stated

Also the retention on the E65S is allegedly pretty high from what I found when I was doing my research on which grinder to buy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Frank Dillinger posted:

Also the retention on the E65S is allegedly pretty high from what I found when I was doing my research on which grinder to buy.

Yeah, thats what I'd read too. Hopefully more manufacturers start offering single dose low retention stuff, it seems ideal for home workflow.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 24, 2020

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

The Monolith isn't meant to be compared to an EK43, it is a low retention single dose grinder. There aren't many choices if that is what you want, especially for flat burr.

e: Your options for something designed as a near zero retention single doser with flat burrs are basically:
$1200 + shipping - Ceado E5SD - https://www.ceado.com/en/product/89.html (questionable retention)
$1475 + optional burr + shipping - Option-O Lagom P64 - https://www.option-o.com/shop/lagom-p64
$2400 + shipping - Ceado E37SD - https://www.ceado.com/en/product/81.html (questionable retention)
$2650 + shipping - Monolith Flat - https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/monolith-titan-flat-burr-espresso-grinder/
$3250 + shipping - Monolith Flat Max - https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/monolith-flat-max/

If you're open to conical burrs then you can add:
$635 + shipping - Niche Zero - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/niche-zero-the-best-conical-burr-coffee-grinder/x/24149225#/
$2150 + shipping - Monolith Conical - https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/monolith/

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding here, but I single dose every day with a Eureka Mignon Silenzio and it is a relatively inexpensive flat burr grinder with low retention.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I made my first Aeropress coffee today! It was delicious and cleaning was really as simple as pushing the puck out. Very positive experience!

I think I'm stirring wrong though. All recipes I saw require a degree of stirring. When I do, coffee/water begins to just run through the filter much more quickly. That must mean I'm disturbing the grounds too much, right? Should I just stir the upper water layer, or as deep down as the stirrer reaches?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Look up inverted aeropress.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lord Stimperor posted:

I made my first Aeropress coffee today! It was delicious and cleaning was really as simple as pushing the puck out. Very positive experience!

I think I'm stirring wrong though. All recipes I saw require a degree of stirring. When I do, coffee/water begins to just run through the filter much more quickly. That must mean I'm disturbing the grounds too much, right? Should I just stir the upper water layer, or as deep down as the stirrer reaches?

Play around , everyone aeropress's differently

I don't stir at all, just fast pour into an inverted one and rely on the press action to finish it off after 40 seconds

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Any tips/thoughts on dealing with clumpy grinds coming from a Rancilio Rocky? I've read mixed things on whether or not people think it matters to break them up (my limited experience says it does), but how to deal with them? I've seen the one distribution technique involving a cut out yogurt cup, but that seems a bit silly with a grinder like this.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Lord Stimperor posted:

Congrats!

I grind my coffee fine enough that minimal water flows through between the time I add it and the time I put the plunger in. Once the plunger is in it will stop dripping until you push.

I don't bother with inverted as it adds a step which can and has ended in disaster when my tired brain screws up.

What I end up doing

1. Fine grind of 17g beans
2. Heat water to 190 F.
3. Put coffee in normal direction aeropress.
4. Add 40 grams of water, start timer, stir
5. At 25 seconds, add water till you hit 270 grams. Put plunger in.
6. At some point, start plunging and try to finish around 1m40s. Adjust total time based off taste for future cups.

The above works well for me. I've also experimented with methods that used a out double the coffee and those were pretty tasty as well.

I ended up doing it this way by looking at what folks did at the aeropress competitions, trying some of them, and tweaking. I also favored not doing inverted as I've messed that up and didn't think it bought me anything.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

For what it's worth

My recipe

15 g of "slightly finer than french press"

Into inverted aeropress

200ml of boiling water, poured quickly to fully saturate.

Give it 40 seconds, put the cap and filter on in this time

After the 40 seconds has passed place upright over your vessel and press lightly , aiming to empty in after another 40 seconds

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hello coffee thread, I have recently acquired a La Pavoni Stradivari (basically a Professional w/ fancier knobs) and a Sette 270W to start trying manual espresso at home. Things are slow going in terms of progress, but I have managed to get through a couple rounds of beans with more coming.

I'm somewhat disappointed in the user design for the Sette 270W. The catch cup that comes with it has a tendency to vibrate all the way out of position when grinding, and since grinding by weight is what the thing does, this is a problem. I tried to shim it with a spare paper filter but it just threw off the grind by weight feature. Grinding into the 51mm portafilter with it is also something of a nightmare since it grinds off-center, expecting a larger basket. This causes, predictably, a massive mess every grind.

Aside from that I'm getting a feel for what the espresso machine can take, and I'm looking for a way to start logging my shots in greater detail. Are there any apps or just ways to organize my shot log that I can track easily with an Acaia Pearl or a pen and paper? Since it's all been taste and feel at this point I haven't been super stringent about recording the shots beyond grinds by weight in pre-tamp, resulting extraction and time.

If there is some kind of online course for learning more about making and critically tasting espressos, I'm also interested in increasing education about the process. I come mostly from a tea background but have been experimenting with pourovers for the past few years before finally landing on espresso at home to noodle around with while in lockdown.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Abner Assington posted:

Any tips/thoughts on dealing with clumpy grinds coming from a Rancilio Rocky? I've read mixed things on whether or not people think it matters to break them up (my limited experience says it does), but how to deal with them? I've seen the one distribution technique involving a cut out yogurt cup, but that seems a bit silly with a grinder like this.

There's a lot of debate about leveling tools, but since getting mine (a Lelit-branded tool), I've had zero channeling/spraying from my shots. If you don't want to get one, I'd at least stir the grinds with a toothpick or unfolded paper clip before tamping.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jestery posted:

For what it's worth

My recipe

15 g of "slightly finer than french press"

Into inverted aeropress

200ml of boiling water, poured quickly to fully saturate.

Give it 40 seconds, put the cap and filter on in this time

After the 40 seconds has passed place upright over your vessel and press lightly , aiming to empty in after another 40 seconds

Niyqor posted:

Congrats!

I grind my coffee fine enough that minimal water flows through between the time I add it and the time I put the plunger in. Once the plunger is in it will stop dripping until you push.

I don't bother with inverted as it adds a step which can and has ended in disaster when my tired brain screws up.

What I end up doing

1. Fine grind of 17g beans
2. Heat water to 190 F.
3. Put coffee in normal direction aeropress.
4. Add 40 grams of water, start timer, stir
5. At 25 seconds, add water till you hit 270 grams. Put plunger in.
6. At some point, start plunging and try to finish around 1m40s. Adjust total time based off taste for future cups.

The above works well for me. I've also experimented with methods that used a out double the coffee and those were pretty tasty as well.

I ended up doing it this way by looking at what folks did at the aeropress competitions, trying some of them, and tweaking. I also favored not doing inverted as I've messed that up and didn't think it bought me anything.

Jestery posted:

Play around , everyone aeropress's differently

I don't stir at all, just fast pour into an inverted one and rely on the press action to finish it off after 40 seconds

Mu Zeta posted:

Look up inverted aeropress.

Thanks for all the advice. Personally, I kind of don't like the inverted method because I know it's gonna fall over. It didn't today, but I'm a klutz. I didn't notice any difference in taste between the inverted and standard method, and read on the website that a certain degree of coffee pre-cum should not affect the taste anyway, so I guess I'm fine with standard for now. Only thing that happened once is that the filter must have moved during one of today's shots, and so the water fell right through. That was dumb.

I also did a cold brew today for my girlfriend who normally hates coffee. It's a really pleasant drink and she likes it. Kind of freakish how simple it was.

I think the next item on my list will be a metal filter to see if I can get some more body in the coffee, and after that I'll start assembling a travel kit.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

curried lamb of God posted:

There's a lot of debate about leveling tools, but since getting mine (a Lelit-branded tool), I've had zero channeling/spraying from my shots. If you don't want to get one, I'd at least stir the grinds with a toothpick or unfolded paper clip before tamping.
Yeah, it's a cost I'd rather not have, but my experience so far with stirring hasn't produced a total elimination of channeling. Although, my tamping wasn't the best in those cases.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I'm kind of surprised more people don't talk about roasting in here. I've been quite happy with my SR540 and extension tube and extended chaff collector.

Anyone in here using something fancy like a bullet? (Jamie you don't count).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I am looking for a setup which would allow me to make two pour-overs at the same time - I've seen varieties of double stands. Any recommendations that aren't unreasonably expensive?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

I'm kind of surprised more people don't talk about roasting in here. I've been quite happy with my SR540 and extension tube and extended chaff collector.

Anyone in here using something fancy like a bullet? (Jamie you don't count).

I have a gene cafe cbr-101. I don’t think it necessarily counts as fancy? It certainly has paid for itself now given the relative cost of fresh coffee as well as opening up the variety of coffee my wife and I can drink.

I recently got some gesha and on the label it says don’t go full city roast. Well I accidentally got up there and wow is it night and day between full city and city. So what I’m trying to say is I probably want to upgrade so I can have a programmable roast profile but it’s ridiculous because I think that’s the only roast I’ve ever had where it made that large a difference.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

fawning deference posted:

I am looking for a setup which would allow me to make two pour-overs at the same time - I've seen varieties of double stands. Any recommendations that aren't unreasonably expensive?

What's the purpose of the stand? Just get two mugs and two cones. I'm assuming this is for home use?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

milkman dad posted:

I have a gene cafe cbr-101. I don’t think it necessarily counts as fancy? It certainly has paid for itself now given the relative cost of fresh coffee as well as opening up the variety of coffee my wife and I can drink.

I recently got some gesha and on the label it says don’t go full city roast. Well I accidentally got up there and wow is it night and day between full city and city. So what I’m trying to say is I probably want to upgrade so I can have a programmable roast profile but it’s ridiculous because I think that’s the only roast I’ve ever had where it made that large a difference.

I'd say the Gene Cafe is prob the best 'low cost' option, no?

Which geisha? I've been trying with much failure to get the Sweet Maria's Colombia Honey Las Aguilas Gesha to a City/City+ but I either overshoot (not bad but no floras) or undershoot (grassy, gross).

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Alright

So, I've got recipe , obv you guys can't advise too much but hopefully I'm not doing anything right

16 gram dose in
44 grams out
Done in 27 seconds from when the water hits the puck

Does this sound like I'm getting somewhere?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mu Zeta posted:

What's the purpose of the stand? Just get two mugs and two cones. I'm assuming this is for home use?

I like nice things

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Starbucks used to sell a good looking stand but their website doesn't seem to sell any merch at all right now. Have you checked Etsy?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't worry too much about a bit of dripping through the filter. It's inevitable that some liquid will seem through during the process because of the design; concentrate more on the factors you can control. My process has been one I got from somewhere I forget -

Wet the filter. Add 20g of coffee ground fine and about 1/3 of the water. Stir 15s, let brew 30s. Add the remaining water. Stir 15s, brew 90s with the plunger in place, then press.

Not as complicated as an inverse press, longer extraction than the standard grind-water-stir-press method - I don't know, it works for me and isn't too complicated or fussy but makes coffee the way I like.

Note that this does require a consistent grinder. My Bodum would give me more fines and you'd taste that as the coffee cooled. Not good.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Anyone have recommendations for mail-order roasters in California, ideally central coast? I've never had truly fresh beans, am looking at this list of good roasters from the OP but it's about 6 years old.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

Anyone have recommendations for mail-order roasters in California, ideally central coast? I've never had truly fresh beans, am looking at this list of good roasters from the OP but it's about 6 years old.

Gas or electric? What size batches?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

I'd say the Gene Cafe is prob the best 'low cost' option, no?

Which geisha? I've been trying with much failure to get the Sweet Maria's Colombia Honey Las Aguilas Gesha to a City/City+ but I either overshoot (not bad but no floras) or undershoot (grassy, gross).

$500-600 is a little steep of an investment but if you drink enough and take it as a hobby I feel it pays for itself.

For roasting the las Aguilas on there my trick was to actually cut it short towards the end of first crack and not wait until it was completely through. This was as it coasted down in temp I guess it landed somewhere around city/city+. The other thing is the roast really does develop with time. I would say make sure you give it a good 7 day rest before grinding. We principally drink americanos and that’s how I drank most of it.

Yeah that’s the one!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Recently I was in a situation in which the only coffee I could get was from a starbucks. So, biting the bullet, I ordered a Nitro Cold Brew (you can't gently caress up a cold brew with bad coffee - I win). It was amazingly good. I've since had the 'nitro' cold brew from other folks and am a fan.

I make my own cold brew at home, and there is a noticeable difference between the nitro and my nitro free coffee.

Cutting to the chase, I'm looking at a GrowlerWerks uKeg that both brews and adds the nitro. Does anyone here have any experience with this or something similar. Alternatively, I think I could go with just a nitro keg (Royal Brew) for less money and continue to use my own system to make the cold brew.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Abner Assington posted:

Yeah, it's a cost I'd rather not have, but my experience so far with stirring hasn't produced a total elimination of channeling. Although, my tamping wasn't the best in those cases.

I have a rocky grinder and bought one of the levellers from aliexpress. It was something like £9. I was surprised at how much difference it made, used to stir the grounds with a cocktail stick then bang the portafilter to distribute grounds and still got channeling quite often. With the distributor i just spin it for a couple seconds and it never channels.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

Gas or electric? What size batches?

1) I have no idea and 2) I have no idea if you mean the batch sizes they roast at a time, but I'd only be buying 3lb or so at a time. I've only just barely discovered the difference fresh grinding makes and started spotting differences between different sacks of beans from Costco.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

porktree posted:

Recently I was in a situation in which the only coffee I could get was from a starbucks. So, biting the bullet, I ordered a Nitro Cold Brew (you can't gently caress up a cold brew with bad coffee - I win). It was amazingly good. I've since had the 'nitro' cold brew from other folks and am a fan.

I make my own cold brew at home, and there is a noticeable difference between the nitro and my nitro free coffee.

Cutting to the chase, I'm looking at a GrowlerWerks uKeg that both brews and adds the nitro. Does anyone here have any experience with this or something similar. Alternatively, I think I could go with just a nitro keg (Royal Brew) for less money and continue to use my own system to make the cold brew.

i haven't used that system but personally i'd do the latter if only to best control steepage

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

milkman dad posted:

. I would say make sure you give it a good 7 day rest before grinding. We principally drink americanos and that’s how I drank most of it.

Yeah that’s the one!

Yes! One day off-roast it just tasted like grass and funk. After about 3 to 4 days you could definitely tell it a change quite a bit and was now drinkable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remy Marathe posted:

1) I have no idea and 2) I have no idea if you mean the batch sizes they roast at a time, but I'd only be buying 3lb or so at a time. I've only just barely discovered the difference fresh grinding makes and started spotting differences between different sacks of beans from Costco.

Does the roaster need to be from California? I'm in California and the good roasters here cost too much. I'm using Craft Coffee for delivery for a few months now and it's solid.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Remy Marathe posted:

Cat and Cloud is in Santa Cruz

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Time to wait after roasting will change based on bean and roast. I've never felt a need to wait 7 days. Usually 1 is pretty good, 2 or 3 tends to be a good option most of the time for me.

If you need a coffee and only have fresh beans, grind and let them sit for half an hour, then do a pourover with a good presoak for a couple minutes. Usually makes totally drinkable cups.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

mediaphage posted:

Time to wait after roasting will change based on bean and roast. I've never felt a need to wait 7 days. Usually 1 is pretty good, 2 or 3 tends to be a good option most of the time for me.

If you need a coffee and only have fresh beans, grind and let them sit for half an hour, then do a pourover with a good presoak for a couple minutes. Usually makes totally drinkable cups.

Yeah not really sure why geshas benefit more from wait time but it's not the first time I've heard it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I usually wait about 2 weeks for espresso beans, 7 days for filter.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Cat and Cloud is in Santa Cruz
Thanks!

Mu Zeta posted:

Does the roaster need to be from California? I'm in California and the good roasters here cost too much. I'm using Craft Coffee for delivery for a few months now and it's solid.
Not necessarily, so thanks for the recommendation. Those I've looked at so far here are indeed way more expensive than I expected, like $1.30+/oz versus $0.33 for what we usually buy.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Royal Mile out of New Jersey is good and goon owned. They're about $1/oz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I've been getting mochas/lattes from coffeeshops several times a week for years, and am in the process of moving and it's definitely time to get my own machine.

It's kinda hard to get a good grasp on what's actually 'needed', but from browsing around it seems the Breville 870 is kinda the best higherish end machine that won't disappoint me.
Are there any other options I should be looking at? I'm completely open to having a separate grinder/etc., and could go a bit higher pricewise if there's something significantly better to consider.