Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut

Finger Prince posted:

Birds are cool. You'd be surprised how many different birds you see when you start actually paying attention to them and looking. I just like watching their behavior rather than looking for rare ones. I really like the ring billed gulls that are super common and everywhere. They're such characters. I live in a high rise so it's cool to watch pigeons soaring from above. They're very agile. We have one local one we call "beauty pidge" who has bright white wingtips and a white tail stripe and is very striking to see flying around. In the winter we get a lot of long tail ducks which we call Ow Owdle Ows because that's the sound they make, and I almost forget they're actually called long tail ducks. They're very pretty and one thing that can brighten a dreary cold winter day is to find a flotilla of them all calling out "Ow Owdle Ow! Ow Owdle Ow! Ooooowwwww." (only like, x100).
Where I work there's a few killdeer around and they are dumbass drama queens that freak out over nothing all the time.
I don't have a big camera lens for bird pictures, but gullulous don't care. I took these in October last year (the most recent bird pictures I have).

my heart is touched

also killdeer fledglings are adorable and look like cotton balls on toothpicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

prepuce repurposed posted:

ice water toast to the hardest working IK ever, nut :cheers:

it ain’t work if it don’t feel like work :cheers:

City of Glompton

in february this year we had a Robining at our bird bath

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

City of Glompton

i also saw lazuli buntings this spring but they were too shy and i could never get their pictures :( e

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

nut

City of Glompton posted:

i also saw lazuli buntings this spring but they were too shy and i could never get their pictures :( e

aww we kept getting indigo buntings but only by the kitchen and by the time I came out to get a pic it was long gone, maybe i will try again today

I know there's a purple finch somewhere too :colbert: I swear

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
looking for any new and good/postable bird pics and found these from 2018 when i stumbled onto a robin's nest while cutting back brush that was growing into my blueberry bushes. knew something was up because a robin kept harrying me and screaming at me and stopped just in time to realize why:

6/13/18 tiny baby robins squeaking for food

6/14/18 more squeaks

6/15/18 starting to look a little big for the nest

6/16/18 definitely getting cramped in there

6/20/18 finally left the nest

6/27/18 one of them returning to the nest area and still not looking like an adult robin yet

nut

I tried to creep but it's probably a bad time of day, that being said

I found some Norther Flickers

And in the forest I found a Ruffed Grouse (excuse it's demon eye, I panicked and left the flash on)

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

These are my good, good friends the Tall Birds.

They stalk around yoinking unsuspecting bugs from the ground and staring into people's windows. This might be considered poor behavior were you or I to do it, but everyone loves the Tall Birds!

Finger Prince

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

These are my good, good friends the Tall Birds.

They stalk around yoinking unsuspecting bugs from the ground and staring into people's windows. This might be considered poor behavior were you or I to do it, but everyone loves the Tall Birds!

I love Tall Birds!

nut

I, too, love the Tall Birds

Empty Sandwich

goatse mugs
I used to write an occasional thing for lit mag blog, and this one is about the etymologies of bird names: https://pankmagazine.com/2013/12/03/logophily-more-birds-2/

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Empty Sandwich posted:

I used to write an occasional thing for lit mag blog, and this one is about the etymologies of bird names: https://pankmagazine.com/2013/12/03/logophily-more-birds-2/

interesting and cool read, ty :)

sb hermit

I appreciate all the bird pics! I wish I had a backyard so that it would be easier to attract some.

also

Luvcow posted:

interesting and cool read, ty :)

:same:

Manifisto

taken this morning:

our porch has some hungry friends

you can see the tip of one of their beaks peeking out of the top of the nest

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

taken this morning:

our porch has some hungry friends

you can see the tip of one of their beaks peeking out of the top of the nest

any sign of the parents coming back to feed them and give away their identity (class/race/level)?

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

any sign of the parents coming back to feed them and give away their identity (class/race/level)?

I think I have seen a parent (robin) perched in a nearby tree glaring at me

alnilam

bird

ty manifisto

alnilam

i used to know a bunch of birds now i'm in a new part of the country and it's all new birds baby

i highly recommend the smartphone app called "Merlin" it has helped me ID many birds while afield

ty manifisto

nut

plz do not give Silicon Valley the capacity to spy on birds, many of whom don’t even want smartphones :colbert:

alnilam

Merlin is from medieval emgland tho

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

bird :hai:

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

The Voice of Labor

the local flock of wild turkeys exiled this guy so I occasionally see him foraging solo

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Is it too late for me to enjoy july and the bounty it brings itt with yall?

nut

Evil Bob posted:

Is it too late for me to enjoy july and the bounty it brings itt with yall?

it is never 2 late to bask in the july with friends

Evil Bob

Looks like I stopped in just in time. While you all seem much more educated about our feathered friends than I, I do share an affinity for birds! The crows in my neighborhood are awesome, and in the evenings during summer i usually see huge murders of crows flying due south east toward down town.

Back in the good ol days when I used to work in an office 5 days a week (were those the good ol days?) I would see Bald eagles usually monthly, one time one flew right past my window probably 15 feet away right as I was sitting down! Loads of red tailed hawks too. Then there is my homie the RUDEBWOY blue heron who hunts snakes around the pond outside my office window. I like the birds.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
blue herons own. i wonder what other colors there are

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

nut

we have green herons arond here

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

nut posted:

plz do not give Silicon Valley the capacity to spy on birds, many of whom don’t even want smartphones :colbert:

"birds gone wild! voyeur edition"

Finger Prince

Grey, tricolor, umm.. is night a colour?

The Voice of Labor

red herons puke acidic anger blood to subdue their prey

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Finger Prince posted:

Grey, tricolor, umm.. is night a colour?

"night heron" is a deece uname imo

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

yoshi gets a different temporary ability depending on what color of heron he eats

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Evil Bob

Great Grey Herons, for one.

Prof. Crocodile

alnilam posted:

i used to know a bunch of birds now i'm in a new part of the country and it's all new birds baby

i highly recommend the smartphone app called "Merlin" it has helped me ID many birds while afield

you were gone a while. how was your move? are you going to make a thread about it in BYOB or was it not a BYOBable move (like there were no snails, no birds, no ernest, etc.)?

alnilam

Prof. Crocodile posted:

you were gone a while. how was your move? are you going to make a thread about it in BYOB or was it not a BYOBable move (like there were no snails, no birds, no ernest, etc.)?

my move was stressful. moving sux!! but the place I moved to owns big time. i wouold make a thread about it but i'd rather just move past the experience of moving.

ty manifisto

Prof. Crocodile

alnilam posted:

my move was stressful. moving sux!! but the place I moved to owns big time. i wouold make a thread about it but i'd rather just move past the experience of moving.

that is fair. i have moved a few times and i find that moving can be exiting if it only takes a day or two, but if it takes weeks it it just terrible. this rule also applies to other things like visiting amusement parks, swimming, or eating a sandwich

e: i meant to say that the rule applies in general, not to imply that i have spent weeks eating a sandwich, although I have

Prof. Crocodile fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 24, 2020

alnilam

Moving has its exciting parts for sure. Mostly after the fact though - getting to set up the new place, and if you are moving out-of-city, exploring the new area/region, are exciting. Over the last few weeks I keep feeling like we're on vacation / travelling somewhere cool, and suddenly I remember that we live here now.

I also enjoy packing and unpacking a truck or pod. Packing the house up into boxes, no fun. But once everything is boxed and prepped, the big loading day of my buddy and I playing tetris to get everything in the pod, not to mention getting a nice workout carrying poo poo, was actually pretty fun (also concludes with pizza and beer ofc)

The moving itself, across the whole country with a wife, a baby, a cat, an anxiety-prone senior citizen who is afraid to fly, in the middle of a pandemic (and happening to fly on the day the airlines decide to surprise everyone and sell the flights to fully booked even though they promised when we bought the tickets that it would be 2/3 capacity, surprising even the flight attendants) is most definitely not an experience i would recommend

ty manifisto

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

Moving has its exciting parts for sure. Mostly after the fact though - getting to set up the new place, and if you are moving out-of-city, exploring the new area/region, are exciting. Over the last few weeks I keep feeling like we're on vacation / travelling somewhere cool, and suddenly I remember that we live here now.

I also enjoy packing and unpacking a truck or pod. Packing the house up into boxes, no fun. But once everything is boxed and prepped, the big loading day of my buddy and I playing tetris to get everything in the pod, not to mention getting a nice workout carrying poo poo, was actually pretty fun (also concludes with pizza and beer ofc)

The moving itself, across the whole country with a wife, a baby, a cat, an anxiety-prone senior citizen who is afraid to fly, in the middle of a pandemic (and happening to fly on the day the airlines decide to surprise everyone and sell the flights to fully booked even though they promised when we bought the tickets that it would be 2/3 capacity, surprising even the flight attendants) is most definitely not an experience i would recommend

whatever happened to your chickens?

:ohdear:

alnilam

one of them died :( and since it's unkind to keep a chicken solo, and since we had the move on the horizon, we immediately gave the other one away to our friend who was getting some young chickens so she could be the alpha rather than being picked on as a new flock member. We saw her before we left and she is living a great life :)

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

re: heronchat there was just one poking around the underbrush maybe 20 feet away from me

I had the temerity to approach and try to take a photo and he flew away :( lol owned I guess

ty nesamdoom!