Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mordja posted:

...big amongst kids but I don't know where they actually play it.

My kid got it on switch. This whole genre is really popular with kids. Theres a roblox game called "piggy" thats the same sort of horror ai chase thing based on peppa pig that has hundreds of thousands of people playing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man kids are stupid, I don't get the point of them tbh.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you had a game company and wanted to do something based on an existing property (book, tv, film etc), any genre, what's an underused property? Money no object.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Babylon 5.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

RIP Into The Fire

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

sebmojo posted:

If you had a game company and wanted to do something based on an existing property (book, tv, film etc), any genre, what's an underused property? Money no object.
Chrono Trigger

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sebmojo posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen, squad-based RTT with non-standard RPG mechanics (can't actually build your characters, instead they come with inherent traits and quirks you can just influence with training).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

sebmojo posted:

Choose your own adventure game for The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Give me a good Star Trek game.

Thanks.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Mordja posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen, squad-based RTT with non-standard RPG mechanics.

Actually almost posted this as a non-joke answer since I'm reading it right now. Would prefer a third person action-RPG that shifts characters throughout the story, though

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I can't say they haven't made the effort at this point, but it is still far removed from an enjoyable experience and the bugs present make Bethesda look downright competent. A couple months ago I watched someone stream it and he couldn't go 10 minutes without encountering something game breaking. Judging by recent reviews, it's still possible to have your entire fleet disappear when you try to move it, a bug that's been in the game for years now.

And the loving thing still costs $60.

It's very admirable that they did what almost no-one else does but it's not really made it into a good game. It's too shallow, has an arcade style simplicity and "fake" feeling due to a lack of simulation, struggles to make things feel meaningful, has an awkward UI and a paper thin plot/main quest design.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

Animorphs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the Summer House by Jane Bowles adapted to be a branching narrative adventure game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

be careful what you wish for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctpIwDKSnNw

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

sebmojo posted:

Mission Impossible, we only had one really not so great game. It'd kinda be perfect in the mould of an Uncharted, except superspy poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sebmojo posted:

game: elite beat agents
tv: 12 oz mouse
film: the endless
book: bone, but better than the telltale ones

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Mistborn. You could do some incredible stuff with the powers in an open world/third person action game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jackie Chan Adventures.

Uncharted is like 3/4 of the way there.

Honestly a Pokemon clone was a pretty inspired idea for an Animorphs game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mistborn. You could do some incredible stuff with the powers in an open world/third person action game.

why did you have to remind me

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

exquisite tea posted:

Game Theory might be the single most pathetic game-related channel on youtube, which is saying a lot.

What? Why?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

sebmojo posted:

Tekwar

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

No Wave posted:

Chrono Trigger

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

John Lee posted:

why did you have to remind me

Sanderson tried to get a game going but the failure of Amalur scared many off.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/559100/view/4235024297915034351

Phantom Doctrine 2 announced!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They're turning it into a third person stealth game?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1345450/Phantom_Doctrine_2_The_Cabal/

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 25, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Battlefield Earth :swoon:

My serious ones are Julian Mays pliocene saga and something using one of cj cherryhs books, don't care which

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Gravity's Rainbow. As a cover shooter.

Serious answer: Big as poo poo RPG set in Ian Banks' Culture universe. Or the Algebraist universe for the sci fi hipster crowd.

Not a genre property, but since we're talking about games we'd want to see, I'd love to have a game like Hunter: Call of the Wild but with cameras instead of guns. Big, beautiful outdoor environments filled with exquisitely animated animal life with the goal of taking rad wildlife images. Upgrade from a lovely Canon Rebel with a kit 300mm all the way up to a 1DXIII and a 600mm f4 prime. Get photos of rare species and become a famous NatGeo photographer. Its super nerd poo poo that like 5 people would play. I've been playing RDR2 lately, which is fantastic btw, but I'm getting pretty sick of killing animals in games tbh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sebmojo posted:

Wheel of Time braid tugging simulator skirt smoothing simulator RPG.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think they did a ... Arena shooter? Bizarrely? Back in the 90s

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Yeah they did a Wheel of Time FPS in 99

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sebmojo posted:

Now, now, I'd buy Platinum and get them to make an Avatar: The Legend of Korra or Last Airbender game, I am sure nothing could possibly go wrong with such an amazing match.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Mordja posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen, squad-based RTT with non-standard RPG mechanics (can't actually build your characters, instead they come with inherent traits and quirks you can just influence with training).

Oh man there are so many ways you could go small scale with the very character based stuff, squad tactics with the Marines like you said or total war style with the chain of dogs or some of the later big battles.

Or just a god of war type brawler with Karsa.

Edit: But I think you are right with the marines, malazans biggest strength is in the characters and the nutty interconnectedness of events separated by hundreds of thousands of words when you finally realize "oh, that's what happened. That would probably transfer terribly to games. The marines though are the other standout, having just dudes and ladies tactically using gunpowder and engineering to defeat overwhelming armies in a world of high magic is a cool setpiece.

ZearothK posted:

Now, now, I'd buy Platinum and get them to make an Avatar: The Legend of Korra or Last Airbender game, I am sure nothing could possibly go wrong with such an amazing match.

Well I've got good news and I've got bad news...

based on your phrasing I figured that's :thejoke:

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 25, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

threelemmings posted:

Oh man there are so many ways you could go small scale with the very character based stuff, squad tactics with the Marines like you said or total war style with the chain of dogs or some of the later big battles.
Also: no matter how many complaints I got I would never balance cussers. :getin:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Make a multiplayer hidden traitor game based on The Thing that let you slowly infect other players, causing them to switch sides. If anyone who is not a human gets on the helicopter, humans lose.

Just for funsies, one in ten games launches with no Thing character in the game. Just 4-6 humans, no way to get infected. :getin:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The wording at the end of that announcement is a little specific. Did they have a falling out with their publisher?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I want a Valkyria Chronicles RTS that plays like Company of Heroes. They already made VC skins for COH2 so come on, Sega, you can do it.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Telltale style Dresden Files game could have potential.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've always dreamed of a Telltale style Star Trek: The Next Generation game with the original cast... :swoon:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
A Canticle For Liebowitz. Just Abbey management/development and religious politicking in the post apocalypse.

Det_no posted:

I want a Valkyria Chronicles RTS that plays like Company of Heroes. They already made VC skins for COH2 so come on, Sega, you can do it.

Wouldn't this be better done like Dawn of War 2? I thought Valkyria wasn't exactly about expendable cannon fodder.