Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just call it an open-faced torta and eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Torta de italia

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I like to make fajita pizza sometimes, if I have leftover fajitas. Being ever so slightly dried out works well.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

granted, I have thought many times about getting a plateful of al pastor meat from the cart inmy neighborhood and putting it on a pizza but my spouse is a pizza authoritarian

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey man, I didn't say I do it often. It's not for 4-6 pizza night. It's not for 6-8 pizza night. It's when you have 8+ pizzas and you feel like you are a Taco Bell trying to make unique dishes with five ingredients that you think, "Speaking of Taco Bell..."

Also, a pizza smothered in Nutella.

Also also, when you know you have kolache dough topping for one-and-a-half pans, you make one pan as usually, but you roll out the rest and top it like it's a kolache pizza. I like to call it a "cooolache."

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

augias posted:

granted, I have thought many times about getting a plateful of al pastor meat from the cart inmy neighborhood and putting it on a pizza but my spouse is a pizza authoritarian

We have R&D plans to workshop an al pastor pizza with a pineapple reduction drizzle and micro cilantro. Can’t wait. As Rocko said, the wild pies are for late into the evening, when dough is plump and everyone is full and drunk enough to start letting loose on some weird pizzas.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I made two cast iron deep dish pies tonight and it hit every loving spot on the map.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

When I freeze my homemade pizza sauce, it always comes out watery after defrosting. Is there anything I can do about this or just make 4-5 pizzas before it goes bad in the fridge?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cook some of the water out? Freezing it is probably causing the ice crystals to break some of the cell structure in the tomato, making liquid leak out. You cant put it back in but you can at least cook some off to make it less soupy. I think freezing it faster would cause less cell damage if you could do that somehow

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

When I freeze my homemade pizza sauce, it always comes out watery after defrosting. Is there anything I can do about this or just make 4-5 pizzas before it goes bad in the fridge?

The thicker the sauce, the better the pie. Just pour the water off.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

ogopogo posted:

We have R&D plans to workshop an al pastor pizza with a pineapple reduction drizzle and micro cilantro. Can’t wait. As Rocko said, the wild pies are for late into the evening, when dough is plump and everyone is full and drunk enough to start letting loose on some weird pizzas.

As opposed to a slice of pineapple and regular cilantro? Hermamito youre losing the forest for the sap

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

augias posted:

As opposed to a slice of pineapple and regular cilantro? Hermamito youre losing the forest for the sap

That’s fair, but the thinking is a slice of pineapple is really to big/chunky for my style of pizza. Lighter, smaller elements are what work best on my Neapolitan style sourdough. The flavor from micro cilantro is a little more delicate and balanced from what I’ve tried, but we’ll try a regular cilantro variant too. That’s the best part of R&D!

augias
Apr 7, 2009

ogopogo posted:

That’s fair, but the thinking is a slice of pineapple is really to big/chunky for my style of pizza. Lighter, smaller elements are what work best on my Neapolitan style sourdough. The flavor from micro cilantro is a little more delicate and balanced from what I’ve tried, but we’ll try a regular cilantro variant too. That’s the best part of R&D!

Cant charge as much if the ingredient doesnt have a lot of prefixes either!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Think I’ve got it dialed in. This time around I just put the basil on the cooked pizza and let it sit for a few min.

Basil not pictured because of course I didn’t take a picture of that one.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

:sickos:

Looks great man

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That one's looking really great.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Looks as good as I was ever able to make a pizza in the oven.

Last time we made donairs I made an extra batch of meat. Tomorrow is gonna be donair pizza day. Trying to think of the best way to do it, not sure if I should just cook the dough with the meat on it then throw tomatoes, lettuce, garlic sauce on top or if I should use cheese or what.

large hands fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 19, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

My friend made a joke about dumping a can of chili on a pizza I made so I wanted to show him up

Surprisingly delicious to be honest, just needed a squeeze of lime juice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tagichatn posted:

defrost in freezer and drain off the liquid or reheat in a pot and it should be fine. if it's really really watery maybe you should try cooking it more the first time

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Made pizza for the first time in three years this weekend. Got my pizza steel and a 550 oven, but the edges of the crust didn’t brown like I wanted them to. I had the steel on the bottom rack, thinking I may move it to the top next time. Also considering switching to the broiler once the oven is up to temp.

My old oven was a convection oven and I would switch it to the roast setting which used the top element too, but this one doesn’t have that. Any ideas?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Made pizza for the first time in three years this weekend. Got my pizza steel and a 550 oven, but the edges of the crust didn’t brown like I wanted them to. I had the steel on the bottom rack, thinking I may move it to the top next time. Also considering switching to the broiler once the oven is up to temp.

My old oven was a convection oven and I would switch it to the roast setting which used the top element too, but this one doesn’t have that. Any ideas?

It almost looks like the steel was too hot based on the bottom. I think if you had turned the broiler on before the cook, the steel would have been even hotter and would have cooked faster.

The cheese doesn’t look browned but the pepperoni looked cooked.

I dunno-I’d suggest maybe a slightly shorter preheat for the steel but putting the broiler on when you launch the pizza. That way the top would have a better chance of browning without the bottom turning too crisp.

I have a tough time getting the crust perfectly browned a lot of the time myself. The bottom or top is always done before the crust has a chance to keep up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I was getting something similar with my sourdough bread. Weird burning on the bottom of the loaf inside the cast iron with no other real issues. I fixed it by putting rack under the bread and putting an empty sheet pan on it. Dunno why it works something about making the heating more even? Anyways try that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was getting something similar with my sourdough bread. Weird burning on the bottom of the loaf inside the cast iron with no other real issues. I fixed it by putting rack under the bread and putting an empty sheet pan on it. Dunno why it works something about making the heating more even? Anyways try that.

Ah I forgot. Ovens are way hotter on the bottom. Moving the steel up a few racks should help.

I did the same thing in my enameled cast iron when making sourdough bread. I moved it up a few racks and it was much better.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, pretty much the whole challenge with pizza in the oven is finding the balance between cooking from the bottom and having the top finish at the same time. I'd definitely turn on the broiler after the oven is up to temp, and leave that on high with the pizza in the lower third of the oven as a good place to start.

Based on your pics I think it would come out fine in the same position if the broiler was turned on- The top would finish faster and get more browning, and the bottom would be a hair less browned due to lower overall time. Although even as is that browning on the bottom looks about perfect to me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, pretty much the whole challenge with pizza in the oven is finding the balance between cooking from the bottom and having the top finish at the same time. I'd definitely turn on the broiler after the oven is up to temp, and leave that on high with the pizza in the lower third of the oven as a good place to start.

Just flip your pizza

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Just flip your pizza

The Upside Down Pineapple Pizza the people have been clamoring for!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ive had that problem of toasting the bottom a bit too much and i think sometimes it can happen due to too much flour and running a bit hot.

i have consistently great results now with my steel at 500 for about an hour before cooking, i put it in the upper third of my (gas) oven and bake for 6-8 min, switch to broil at the last 1-2 min. just enough browning on the crust and the bottom.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's the safest way to move a 550F baking steel from the bottom rack to the top rack without major catastrophe? Are you just really strong?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

What's the safest way to move a 550F baking steel from the bottom rack to the top rack without major catastrophe? Are you just really strong?

I think he meant he’ll move it up to the top before he turns the oven on next time.

I moved it during a cook once. I just moved the entire cooking rack with the steel on it. Was that stupid? Yes. Did I get hurt? Luckily not. I wouldn’t tempt fate twice.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah I've moved mine too by just moving the whole rack but it was because it got moved for baking cookies and I preheated the oven before looking at it's position. It felt dangerous and precarious would not recommend

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd move it before I preheated it.

I did flip it over while it was in a 400 degree oven the other day because i was reseasoning it. It wasn't easy or fun.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just use two potholders in each hand and move quickly, it's very easy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah I've moved mine too by just moving the whole rack but it was because it got moved for baking cookies and I preheated the oven before looking at it's position. It felt dangerous and precarious would not recommend

My racks require you to tilt them up first and I feel like there isn't enough friction in the world to keep the steel from sliding straight back.

I'm gonna make another set of cast iron pies tomorrow. I got the pizza fever.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Mine slants up too but there's a little lip on the back of the rack my cast iron catches on. If it slipped off I don't think I'd be able to pick it back up while it was hot

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
I’ve been using my 10” lodge skillet in my ooni koda 16 to char/roast tomatillos/onions/jalapeños and that things gets even hotter than a baking steel in a 550 oven. I have to use work gloves underneath my leather welder gloves to handle it and even then it starts to burn my hand if I hold it too long. I’m impressed with Ooni’s solution to this (I know they didn’t come up with it) which is removable handles on the skillets so you can attach and reattach the handles during the cook. Still don’t plan on buying one though. Received my turning peel from ooni finally, they’ve been sold out of them for weeks. Looking forward to keeping my knuckle hair.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

pastrami and ham for dinner tonight

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

My Roccbox arrived two days ago. Calabrian pepper, anchovies, garlic, basil. This was < 2 minutes

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice!

so I have some Kenji NY pizza dough in the fridge and I'm thinking if i should try making Khachapuris for breakfast with it?

the dough balls ar about 10oz ea and I dunno if that's enough or too little

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I want to make a deep dish in my 14" cast iron, my oven goes to 550 plz halp tell me what do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Wish I had taken pictures, but I threw together a "takeout leftovers" pizza for lunch today. Usual cheese pie, then topped with chicken korma + mexican hot sauce. Turned out delicious!