Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Rigel posted:

Of course he has a major advantage in being able to hire his own lawyers and get sympathy with his parents connections. However, if a poor random person got smeared nationally by the media in an easily winnable case, they'd have to beat back hungry lawyers willing to help them out for a piece of the winnings with a stick.

What exactly did the "media get wrong"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

1glitch0 posted:

What exactly did the "media get wrong"?

They incorrectly portrayed him as instigating a racially-charged confrontation with a native American elder, and also discussed the story as if that were true. Basically, "these Trump-loving students whose faces you can see clearly right here, aggressively bullied this member of an indian tribe just for the fun of it!", coast to coast.

If that reporting is not completely true, then you as the national media outlet are going to be writing a check, especially when you as the media outlet had footage you chose not to use showing that it wasn't really accurate.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 25, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Update on yesterday story about death of professor Mike Adams

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1287006483008245760

i mean this dude was a monster even for the bad faith "academic" nazi types and made peterson look woke. gently caress him.

public?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Paracaidas posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1287039855986388995
Matty has the dynamic here correct, I think. In the meantime, it's been good to see the constant drumbeats from Dems that they've been set since May and it's been GOP procrastination that's brought us to this point.

We'll see if the Dem opposition to a short term "clean" benefits extension holds after the CARES boost expires. If it does, or they can get their state/local/usps funds in the same bill as the short extension, it'll be the clearest sign yet that the mindset which led to a decade of Dem legislative failure has been broken.

Personal prediction is that a UI topup (possibly slightly smaller) gets extended with language sunsetting it when the 70% replacement method becomes feasible in a state and that the parties shift to negotiating on the rest. You have enough lovely Dems who wanted the replacement method anyway and putting it at the state level relieves Congresscritters of responsibility when the benefits fall.

Well Pelosi was signaling last night that the House wasn't interested in a short gap solution to kick the can down the road and what they passed in May was the deal, take it or leave it. Which honestly if I were in her shoes I'd probably do the same thing. They hold all the leverage since they passed the bill months ago, with everything in place. Pelosi can stand firm and let Mitch and the GOP Senators dig themselves deeper while taking all the blame. Ultimately they will likely jump on passing the House bill in a few weeks since everything will be further on fire to try and salvage something while taking the L.

Politically there isn't any downside to the Democrats not playing ball with the GOP. If they have the will to hold them to the fire will be the key.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Update on yesterday story about death of professor Mike Adams

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1287006483008245760

He looks the SS Guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark, christ

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Djarum posted:

Well Pelosi was signaling last night that the House wasn't interested in a short gap solution to kick the can down the road and what they passed in May was the deal, take it or leave it. Which honestly if I were in her shoes I'd probably do the same thing. They hold all the leverage since they passed the bill months ago, with everything in place. Pelosi can stand firm and let Mitch and the GOP Senators dig themselves deeper while taking all the blame. Ultimately they will likely jump on passing the House bill in a few weeks since everything will be further on fire to try and salvage something while taking the L.

Politically there isn't any downside to the Democrats not playing ball with the GOP. If they have the will to hold them to the fire will be the key.

I'm expecting the Dems to concede a minor face-saving fig leaf that preserves nearly all of the original house bill with well over a dozen GOP Senators voting no. I'm also expecting that agreement to be received poorly by this board.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Looking forward to the nationalization of resources by the Stone Cold Left Dems
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1286990480102825984

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Dems basically did what so many people here have demanded they do in the past. They passed a good bill on their own (months back) and are now hanging it around the GOP’s neck saying “it’s on you.”

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

I was sued for $3M and the case settled for $2,500. We’ll likely never know how that kid’s case ended, but it’s entirely possible it wasn’t for much more than what people had already spent in legal fees.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Stone Cold Left Dems and The Progressive Liberal need to form a tag team.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dems basically did what so many people here have demanded they do in the past. They passed a good bill on their own (months back) and are now hanging it around the GOP’s neck saying “it’s on you.”

Good! Nice to know they still have the capacity to do the right thing after exhausting every other possibility.

I mean they should also be passing UBI and defund police and pass a 25 hour work week, but at that point I might as well be complaining that the Republicans haven't done those things.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

follow that camel!! posted:

I was sued for $3M and the case settled for $2,500. We’ll likely never know how that kid’s case ended, but it’s entirely possible it wasn’t for much more than what people had already spent in legal fees.

Yeah, it is very likely that the very good legal teams that all of the places they have sued have shown either have have very damning evidence that they don't want want in public which considering the family and the kid is very high and offered them a pittance.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

i am harry posted:

Why the gently caress does a sandwich shop that can’t pay its employees a living wage need to exist?

Because the overleveraged owner deserves every cent of the 300% markup on sandwiches to pay for that Gwagen, private school and that Whaler payment.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Djarum posted:

Yeah, it is very likely that the very good legal teams that all of the places they have sued have shown either have have very damning evidence that they don't want want in public which considering the family and the kid is very high and offered them a pittance.

Lol the places they've sued have "damning evidence"? Like in a fiction lawyer novel? What damning evidence do you think they have on a child?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Settling means you don’t get to know either way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lol the places they've sued have "damning evidence"? Like in a fiction lawyer novel? What damning evidence do you think they have on a child?

uh considering he loves Trump and that crowd and all I'm pretty sure all you'd need is 'hey we can go to court and as part of our case to show our reporting was accurate we can show these cool facebook posts your kid made about what he thinks of minorities or we can just pay your legal fees and you can gently caress off'? You get that in defamation cases you really only need to show you can muddy the waters badly enough to make a jury not really care anymore, right?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Djarum posted:

Totally agreed politically. On the other hand, the catastrophic consequences of "everything being further on fire" are horrifying and will be borne across the political spectrum. The last *gestures at American history* has me uncertain they'll mostly blame the GOP and even if they do, "massive, preventable suffering is OK so long as they blame the GOP" makes me a bit squeamish as a mindset. It's that squeamishness Mitch is relying on, of course, same as they have for decades on a smaller scale with fiscal cliffs and government shutdowns.

Rigel posted:

I'm expecting the Dems to concede a minor face-saving fig leaf that preserves nearly all of the original house bill with well over a dozen GOP Senators voting no. I'm also expecting that agreement to be received poorly by this board.

This depends on Mitch and Trump being concerned about the suffering of unemployed Americans, which....

The :arzy: in me is worried Mitch thinks he's losing his majority and that Trump'll get beat and that their best chance is ramping up the economic anxiety and relying on Fox, OANN, and Sinclair to blame the Dems for everything getting worse. Predictions are pretty clear right now assuming no major changes. I'm not sure anyone is confident predicting what happens in November if the current stimulus and protection (eviction moratorium, etc) expire without replacement.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

uh considering he loves Trump and that crowd and all I'm pretty sure all you'd need is 'hey we can go to court and as part of our case to show our reporting was accurate we can show these cool facebook posts your kid made about what he thinks of minorities or we can just pay your legal fees and you can gently caress off'? You get that in defamation cases you really only need to show you can muddy the waters badly enough to make a jury not really care anymore, right?

Pretty sure thinking "we'll post some facebook screenshots" is a real thing a real-world legal team does is the most internet-addled thing I've read today.

Yeah maybe they couldn't have won, but giant media conglomerate versus literal child is a bad look. They got a payout and it's more than any one of us will see in our lifetimes.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lawsuits with the wealthy and/or powerful go only a few ways; they try to bleed you of money or if that isn't possible make it cost you in other ways. The kid's family are chud lawyers so the money isn't a option. Everyone has things they don't want out in public. There is a big difference between having a suit with Joe Blow and a major media company. The attorneys for let's say a CNN for example are going to have a team of investigators going through every bit of your life and try to dig up whatever they can. Who knows what they found, it could very well be innocent things that out of context sound really, really bad. It could be that the parents might have some small amount of decency and don't want their kid torn apart by heartless lawyers to try and make a couple of bucks that they don't need.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Manager Hoyden posted:

Pretty sure thinking "we'll post some facebook screenshots" is a real thing a real-world legal team does is the most internet-addled thing I've read today.

Yeah maybe they couldn't have won, but giant media conglomerate versus literal child is a bad look. They got a payout and it's more than any one of us will see in our lifetimes.

It's...not that they'll 'post facebook screenshots' it's that a defamation case based entirely around 'how dare you call me, a MAGA loving wealthy white guy at an anti-women march a racist' can really easily blow up in your face if you, ya know, are that dude. You only settle if you can't afford a long legal fight or you're worried that either you'll outright lose or the case will get so muddied and embarrassing it won't be worth the money. The family's rich and getting that good right wing grifter money to pay their QAnon Lawyer so it's obviously not the first one, it's not really a hard riddle to figure out.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I can’t get over how the Portland protests have grown and that we are seeing nightly news about Americans in a US city being gassed by Trump’s federal agents. He’s a moronic wannabe dictator who doesn’t understand how these visuals every night make him look terrible. He’s completely lost control of the situation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Glumwheels posted:

I can’t get over how the Portland protests have grown and that we are seeing nightly news about Americans in a US city being gassed by Trump’s federal agents. He’s a moronic wannabe dictator who doesn’t understand how these visuals every night make him look terrible. He’s completely lost control of the situation.

his base gets their tiny chud cocks all hard for images of the brutality, that's all he cares about at this point

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Did the kids from that Nazi salute school photo class have like, all kinds of racist poo poo thrown around on some internal forum or mailing list or something?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Remember NJ had a gym called Atilis Gym and that they defied closure order and did rounds on Fox News talking about how persecuted they are. White nationalist groups showed up to protest closure and hailed owner as a patriot.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1262370327281250304

https://twitter.com/EllieRushing/status/1285617006608293888

Well we now have update

https://twitter.com/6abc/status/1286821564042735616

quote:

New Jersey can flex its muscle over a gym that has repeatedly defied the state’s coronavirus orders, a judge ruled Friday. Gov. Phil Murphy’s administration has the authority to close the business, the Atilis Gym in Bellmawr, after it openly flouted the governor’s executive order that they remain shuttered during the pandemic.

Ian Smith, one of the South Jersey gym’s owners, was still defiant after the courtroom loss, posting a video to Facebook saying he would refuse to leave the premises of the business. “We will not back down under any circumstances,” Smith said while wearing a hat that reads “lions not sheep” and a T-shirt bearing the slogan, “Make America Lift Again.”

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Has there been any independent verification of this? Because holy poo poo if true.

EDIT: I guess not. Abramsoned again.

48 Hour Boner fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 25, 2020

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

My uncle, who works at the courthouse posted:

They got a payout and it's more than any one of us will see in our lifetimes.

Nonsense is correct, the settlement means noone will ever know. We can make guesses based on a few known factors (the family had essentially zero legal costs they were bearing themselves, news outlets are always averse to discovery, actual damages to chudteen were minimal, WaPo decisionmakers identify with the chudteen and his family more than they would a similarly covered BLM or Keystone teen activist) but the whole convo is pretty:jerkbag: given that we'll never know.

Worth restating are the two things we do know for certain:
  • whether he was suing for $5m, $50m, $250m, or $500m has little connection to what he actually received
  • A settlement doesn't mean chudteen "won" in any meaningful way

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

48 Hour Boner posted:

Has there been any independent verification of this? Because holy poo poo if true.

There has not been verification because Jeh Johnson didnt say that

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Wilbur Swain posted:

Watch the chuds get a Stone Cold Stunner.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/25/politics/mitch-mcconnell-coronavirus-relief-bill-senate/index.html

quote:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that he hopes in the next two to three weeks the Senate will be able to get the next coronavirus relief bill to the House.

"Hopefully in the next two to three weeks we'll be able to come together and pass something that we can send over to the House and down to the President for signature," McConnell told CNN affiliate WKTY in an interview posted Friday evening.
McConnell said he will begin talking to Democrats as soon as next week on the bill.

Yeah, no need for urgency here.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

48 Hour Boner posted:

Well photographic evidence that was being spread around of arm patches that supposedly represented merc campuses were proven to be something completely different and the only other big name person who I saw on Twitter talking about this was that fraud Seth Abramson who later deleted his tweet.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

48 Hour Boner posted:

It's true they are contractors as that's how those departments operate, it's :tinfoil: bullshit linking them to Eric Prince.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I started hearing about an August recess. Will there be one?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I don’t doubt it for a second.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

sexpig by night posted:

his base gets their tiny chud cocks all hard for images of the brutality, that's all he cares about at this point

And losing everyone else is a winning strategy? I read he thinks he knows best what republican voters want and yet his popularity is decreasing even with them as this poo poo show continues.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Glumwheels posted:

And losing everyone else is a winning strategy? I read he thinks he knows best what republican voters want and yet his popularity is decreasing even with them as this poo poo show continues.

"silent majority" - he believes his base is enough to get him elected

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

I mean sure, the economy is rocking, what's left for our tax funded leaders to do? Time to go home and float in their swimming pools w/ margaritas, a small respite after saving the country.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Wilbur Swain posted:

Can I get a hell yeah?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1286985175075827712

https://twitter.com/TalbertSwan/status/1286992902707720192

quote:

President Donald Trump posted a profanity-laced video from conspiracy theorist and longshot Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez opponent Antoine Tucker in which Tucker complains that Democrats “don’t give a gently caress about helping Americans.”

On Saturday morning, Trump posted the video along with the concise message “Wow!” In addition to running a longshot campaign to unseat AOC, Tucker frequently posts conspiracy memes and proudly calls himself “a Q supporter.”

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dubar posted:

"silent majority" - he believes his base is enough to get him elected

Basic Nazi playbook. Secure your 40% or whatever of the vote, suppress everyone else's vote until that's enough to win. Hence the nonstop yelling about the evils of mail-in ballots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Update on gym, he is barricading himself inside the gym

quote:

No surprise, we lost. Frank and I will be held up inside the gym and WILL not be leaving. Any support is appreciated - inside, outside, or online. Please share, tag, and repost. It’s loving showtime.