Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tip posted:

Has anyone here played the Quest version of Tetris Effect? One of my friends said that it was very flat and he refunded it.

Curious whether the Quest version is a big downgrade or my friend is crazy. He's the first person I've heard say anything bad about the game, but I'm not sure if I've heard anyone else talk about the quest version.

One of the people that said it was amazing was playing the quest version.

Its on sale for 31.99 and I have a $10 off coupon. Is it worth a a 20 spot?

This talks about the downgrades for the quest version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZ1QJcjBuA

quote:

So how does the jump to the standalone hold up? Well, that’s an explanation told in two parts. First, it seems some of the visual effects that flourished so well elsewhere were sacrificed for the Quest port. You can see it in the comparison video below with things like smoke effects that seem far less detailed on Quest.

Second, though, I wouldn’t call these sacrifices dealbreakers — in fact, I would still call the Quest version the definitive way to play Tetris Effect in VR for one simple reason. Feeling the wind of an outdoor breeze on your skin while particles fly by and drums beat near your head is a moment of serenity you’re not likely to find indoors. Playing Tetris Effect that way is a real prospect with an Oculus Quest — and an utter joy — that would be very hard to achieve with a console or PC tethering you to the house.

One other note about the Quest port that’s worth keeping in mind is that the developers recommend wearing headphones and that’s certainly the right call. Nonetheless, the built-in audio solution on Quest held up relatively well with Tetris Effect as compared with some other Quest titles.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

What is up with this VR Tetris game I keep hearing about? Is it really that great? I've heard it from like 4 different people that its like amazing or something.

If you like single player Tetris it's the best that game has ever been and easily worth full price.

If you don't care for single player Tetris it's not likely to change your mind. It is, fundamentally, just extremely slick and pretty Tetris.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

edit: ops!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 25, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Tetris Effect is trippy as gently caress as basically designed to put you "in the zone" while you play. If you spent the early 2000's sitting in a dark room listening to loud music and watching Winamp visualizations, then you'll appreciate it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone try tetris effect on weed?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Shine posted:

Tetris Effect is trippy as gently caress as basically designed to put you "in the zone" while you play. If you spent the early 2000's sitting in a dark room listening to loud music and watching Winamp visualizations, then you'll appreciate it.

If you like this, you should try Polybius. Holy gently caress.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tetris Effect is excellent. Most of Tetsuya Mizuguchi's later work (Rez, Lumines etc) are attempts at the same sort of thing, using relatively basic, repetitive game mechanics, abstract visuals and EDM to induce a trance state, helped by their synethesia inducing visual, audio and physical feedback. Drugs help.

The Quest version is a clear downgrade from the PSVR and PCVR versions, but it's portability means you can go outside and play it while sitting under a tree or on a seat swing. When block clears match up with gusts of wind it feels pretty magical.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 25, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tetris Effect is probably worth $20, but with the VR tax $30 makes sense. If you don't like tetris, don't buy it. But if you do, it should probably be on your list. It's a nice sit down game.

I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was, but it didn't blow my socks off and leave my toes singed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Tetris Effect is probably worth $20, but with the VR tax $30 makes sense. If you don't like tetris, don't buy it. But if you do, it should probably be on your list. It's a nice sit down game.

I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was, but it didn't blow my socks off and leave my toes singed.

Ok thanks I’ll probably get it since I have that $10 off coupon.

A little irritated that it’s epic store only though. I’ve read it’s a little weird to get started because of that.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'd say it's worth 20bux just for the experience of working your way through the first third of the campaign and then getting smacked in the face by Ritual Passion.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks I’ll probably get it since I have that $10 off coupon.

A little irritated that it’s epic store only though. I’ve read it’s a little weird to get started because of that.

Tetris Effect is coming to Steam later this year, and then also later this year a new version of it with multiplayer is coming to the Windows Store. All the features from the new version will be free on the other platforms if you own the game, but they won't get the update until next summer.

They are really milking that timed exclusivity poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would wait for the Steam version if you're not buying it on the Quest.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If Rez/Rez Infinite didn't work for you, Tetris Effect probably wont either.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Leal posted:

Anyone try tetris effect on weed?

yeah it rules, just like Tetris when you're high on life. and lsd

e: haven't actually VR'd on anything other than weed and alcohol, but if there's one reason for me to try acid again after years and years it would be for Tetris Effect

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If Rez/Rez Infinite didn't work for you, Tetris Effect probably wont either.

I don't know if that's the case really, Rez is an on-rails game that was designed to give you rad visuals. It's ALSO a videogame where your worth as a sexual partner and gamer is determined, because the Trance vibrator your girlfriend is sitting on works much better if you're skillfully playing with rhythm instead of mashing the buttons and sweeping the screen like some non-gamer virgin or something

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 25, 2020

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Tip posted:

Has anyone here played the Quest version of Tetris Effect? One of my friends said that it was very flat and he refunded it.

Curious whether the Quest version is a big downgrade or my friend is crazy. He's the first person I've heard say anything bad about the game, but I'm not sure if I've heard anyone else talk about the quest version.

It's true, the visuals are a massive downgrade from the PC ver. I was annoyed at first, but the pick-up-and-play nature of the Quest offsets that a bit.

Also I think anyone who only has access to the Quest ver would be perfectly satisfied

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

SCheeseman posted:

Vox Machinae has one of the best VR cockpits around.

Just tried this, it’s the mech game I always wanted. Does the population get better around peak times?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Shine posted:

I like that calibration screen the Oculus software had on my old Rift, with the green crosses and instructions on how to make them look clean (by adjusting both the headset position and IPD slider). I wonder why SteamVR doesn't have something similar. "gently caress with this knob until the vertical lines look smooth" is easier for most folks to make use of than "set to your IPD" or whatever.

I wanted to ask about this for a while. This does nothing for me. I don't see any difference at all, no matter where the slider is. Yes, the lenses move physically, my slider isn't broken (CV1). Also in game I don't see any difference. Is there something wrong with my headset, my eyes or my brain?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Snackmar posted:

Also I think anyone who only has access to the Quest ver would be perfectly satisfied

I've only ever played it on Quest.

It's really fun! No regrets, though I did get it for $10 off back when Oculus was handing out free credits.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

thats a no from me posted:

Just tried this, it’s the mech game I always wanted. Does the population get better around peak times?

Like the majority of VR multiplayer games, outside of a handful of hits, i think its mostly dead. Though you might want to try checking the official discord for it? I imagine you'd be able to find people scheduling times and stuff there or something.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chadzok posted:

It's just tetris with nice visuals and music, some people will talk about it like it's some mystical experience. It's just nice VR tetris.

^^ like that. Annoying vague praise that doesn't give you any details and when you load it up and get to just play Tetris you will think you're missing something.

Or maybe I just don’t feel it needs more explanation?

If you load it up and feel it’s just Tetris and are missing something refund it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Tom Guycot posted:

Like the majority of VR multiplayer games, outside of a handful of hits, i think its mostly dead. Though you might want to try checking the official discord for it? I imagine you'd be able to find people scheduling times and stuff there or something.

What are good multiplayer games, outside of like VRchat or Pokerstars?

Related, has anyone tried Orbus? The idea of a VR MMO intrigues me. Is it any good?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Related, has anyone tried Orbus? The idea of a VR MMO intrigues me. Is it any good?

i tried it and it sucked. super janky and boring

a township tale too, with the bonus of running like complete rear end

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Echo Arena is amazing, and the disc part (most popular) is free.

Several games have crossplay with their flat versions, such as Payday 2, iRacing, and Elite Dangerous.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Echo Arena

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pavlov is the online VR game with the biggest population.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Echo arena, pavlov, onward, rec room, are some of the few that maintain a consistent userbase and you don't hurt for matches. Rec Room and Echo Arena are both free as well which is part of it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Right now all I've got are beat saber and Alyx

I can't unrecommend war thunder enough
I finally got it working where i'm sitting in my chair and looking as if i'm in the tutorial cockpit, and my joystick (logi 3d extreme whatever) is controlling the thing

The controls are bouncy as gently caress, and then the thing is like 'press your M key to ssee a map'

motherfucker i'm in VR there's no M key here

Anyway i uninstalled it, what a pile of crap

At this point I'm just waiting for x wing and hoping they play tested the VR mode

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

War Thunder is a flatscreen game with a slapped-on VR implementation. I find the in-the-cockpit aspect to be fine (especially the framerate, which is rare for flight sims) and I have things like the map bound to a button on my throttle, but yeah, it's not a game that was designed for VR and the interface reflects that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

were you actually playing in the simulation mode? The other modes are unplayable

marumaru
May 20, 2013

just get vtol vr already m8

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Inacio posted:

were you actually playing in the simulation mode? The other modes are unplayable

i have no loving idea honestly, how would i tell? i just launchewd the game and it put me into a tutorial... i still had to menu the gently caress out of things to get my joystik to work

i should add, launching the game means i still have to go open my virtual desktop and click the 'play' button it opens up for me... so even with the slapped on vr they didnt even try

Inacio posted:

just get vtol vr already m8

what now

hhhat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 25, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rec Room (sp?)

Laser tag is fun
Has kind of a mini one-shot dungeon dive adventure mod that is pretty fun. Rounds last a half hour tops.

Township Tale is okay, but it crashed too often for me to get in to it

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
should i do the vader game

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LLSix posted:

Rec Room (sp?)

Laser tag is fun
Has kind of a mini one-shot dungeon dive adventure mod that is pretty fun. Rounds last a half hour tops.

Township Tale is okay, but it crashed too often for me to get in to it

Yeah Rec Room is pretty fun if you can get over the fact that so many kids are running around with expensive rear end VR headsets (unless it's crossplatform with some cheaper ones) being annoying.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 25, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

hhhat posted:

should i do the vader game

If you like star wars its a fun roughly 2-2.5 hour experience between the 3 chapters. A lot of cool set pieces and locations. If you look at it more as an interactive star wars movie going into it, I think you'll enjoy it more and I think its worth it mostly.

The meat of replayability is the dojo mode which there are a few versions and its all pretty fun even as its own stand along lightsaber version of space pirate trainer sort of, so with that on top of the story, i think its worth whats essentially the cost of a movie ticket.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

If you like star wars its a fun roughly 2-2.5 hour experience between the 3 chapters. A lot of cool set pieces and locations. If you look at it more as an interactive star wars movie going into it, I think you'll enjoy it more and I think its worth it mostly.

The meat of replayability is the dojo mode which there are a few versions and its all pretty fun even as its own stand along lightsaber version of space pirate trainer sort of, so with that on top of the story, i think its worth whats essentially the cost of a movie ticket.

cool, i'ma do it

i need something to offset the total unchill that is alyx

that game makes me nervous as gently caress

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

hhhat posted:

cool, i'ma do it

i need something to offset the total unchill that is alyx

that game makes me nervous as gently caress

A friend of mine started Alyx, saw that the stairs down from the first room were a bit dark, freaked out and shut the game off.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Gort posted:

A friend of mine started Alyx, saw that the stairs down from the first room were a bit dark, freaked out and shut the game off.

the whole game is like that

and it rewards you with so many worse things

its like youre the horror movie star

and everyone's shouting at the screen DONT GO IN THERE DUMMY

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hhhat posted:

what now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANtYYVG1g_4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I bought Thrill of the Fight and now my arms have been hurting for 2 days straight, like when you go to the gym and overdo it. GG. 10/10 would buy again.