Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I bought Thrill of the Fight and now my arms have been hurting for 2 days straight, like when you go to the gym and overdo it. GG. 10/10 would buy again.

Yeah I think this game came out on a Tuesday

Saturday I was supposed to do some work on my boat that involved a bunch of contortionist movements in one of the storage lockers

I managed to get in there, caught my breath, got back out, went home and drank beer on the couch for the rest of the weekend because my muscles were jelly from playing TotF

Thrill of the Fight is THE killer cardio app for VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
so its a boxing sim?

cause boxing is super exhausting

(is it fun? i may want one)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If you like boxing, in games or real life, you will enjoy thrill of the fight.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I played the intro fight and the second fight after that. Then I did the gym things and fought the zombie (no idea how to win that). My arms are destroyed so I haven't played for a while but I'm looking forward to it. Yes it's fun. It's boxing but without the brain damage.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
There's a good variety to the fights to. You've got "my temples are stone" guy where you have to find another target, "I'm going to be in your face the whole time" guy, "I'm 3 feet taller than you" guy, and so many more. Definitely a good variety.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started playing Paper Beast and I had to stop playing because it's too good to burn through it. The WTF surreal factor from the start, the originality of everything, the puzzles so well integrated into the environment that are almost invisible, the nice art style, the physics with sand and water, the sense of living creatures that they got in the titular beasts and how they live in their own small ecosystems, I'm liking everything.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thrill of the Fight is incredible.

I'm so out of shape.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's a good variety to the fights to. You've got "my temples are stone" guy where you have to find another target, "I'm going to be in your face the whole time" guy, "I'm 3 feet taller than you" guy, and so many more. Definitely a good variety.

When do you throw the star punch so you can get the TKO

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://youtu.be/wcL-8NT1y_0

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This looks like a ton of fun but god drat it's ugly as gently caress.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

CrazyLittle posted:

When do you throw the star punch so you can get the TKO

You're probably kidding, but in case anybody reading is curious, TotF has no concept of special punches, stamina bars, etc. The foes have weak points (sides of chin, liver, etc.) where they'll take more damage, and the game calibrates to your strength (more accurately: hand speed) based on the average speed of the punches you throw. It also does a basic check for form, so you can't just waggle your wrists around to score hits.

It's neat as hell and very much worth playing. Instabuy especially if you have a Quest and a space where you can move around.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

sigher posted:

it's very fun and not that ugly imo, just that graphics clearly aren't the focus

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Inacio posted:

it's very fun and not that ugly imo, just that graphics clearly aren't the focus

Apparently one guy made it, and hey, at least with graphics like that the performance should be good?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sigher posted:

Turn your monitor on.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A pair of Paper Beast screenshots

I love the clouds, and the azure rock formations in the desert are striking.

This is actually a puzzle, you can't see it clearly here, but there is a very strong wind in the area and you have to help some horses to overcome. Meanwhile, a family of weird beetles is slowly migrating...

edit: the inbuilt screenshot capture in Oculus is pretty lovely, compressed jpegs? eww

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mechwarrior 2 had horrific graphics too, but once you're actually piloting your brain is mostly focused on geometry and not crashing into it anyways. It's a sim game.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I played the intro fight and the second fight after that. Then I did the gym things and fought the zombie (no idea how to win that). My arms are destroyed so I haven't played for a while but I'm looking forward to it. Yes it's fun. It's boxing but without the brain damage.

Yeah the zombie is K.O. by body blows. My tip for that fight is to drink a bunch of Jameson and get real angry. I beat the zombie and 5 upper difficulty fight back to back with that tip.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
So I just went to a friend's house today, and he just got a rift S. The display is actually pretty good, but it feels like I'm in an old timey diving helmet. It's crazy getting use to the index then going back to a smaller fov device. I remember the cv1 being really open looking, but going back is so weird.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Got TotF - soaked in sweat after 15 minutes. drat you pandemic body.

How do I know what opponent has what weakness? Do they have tells or what’s my strategy here?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Captain Apollo posted:

Got TotF - soaked in sweat after 15 minutes. drat you pandemic body.

How do I know what opponent has what weakness? Do they have tells or what’s my strategy here?

If you hit an opponent "hard" in a weak point and they wince, then you've hurt them particularly badly. Their jaw will start to hang slack/eyes will start to roll back if they're particularly hurt.

You can see what the game generally considers weak points by using the practice dummy. The chin weak points on the sides require you really hit them in the sides, so either with hooks, or if they Ronda Rousey flail past you and you can throw a straight while standing off to their side.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Happyimp posted:

So I just went to a friend's house today, and he just got a rift S. The display is actually pretty good, but it feels like I'm in an old timey diving helmet. It's crazy getting use to the index then going back to a smaller fov device. I remember the cv1 being really open looking, but going back is so weird.

You think that's bad, don't try a Pimax. Everything else is comical now that I'm used to a ~200 degrees FOV which is kind of unfortunate because I feel like the more polished competitors might not reach that for a decade or ever.

What the world needs now is some kind of universal wireless VR adapter, not this "proprietary to one model" poo poo.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I did a couple fights in TotF this morning and my arms no longer work properly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, use the practice dummy and check the impact force on the readout to the right

There's an option to show a "ghost" of the controller "inside" the gloves. I turned this to about 50%, it had a dramatic effect on my accuracy

Also just practice tapping the dots lightly. If you can't make the dots light up 19/20 times in a controlled setting, you're gonna fail swinging wildly at full force. There's some important hand eye coordination you may not have learned on the playground as a nerd that you'll need to level up first

Also also, TUCK YOUR ELBOWS IN. They ought to be pointing at your belly button laying flat on your chest. Look at any old vintage boxing toy, that posture isn't an accident. If your elbows are sticking out like chicken wings you're gonna lose all your endurance trying to fight gravity, and wear out your shoulders

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm getting really into Boneworks but is it me or do the assault rifles and other long guns really suck in it? Since your body is a physical object I need to stretch out my arms basically to the max to even try and aim down both sights properly. I think maybe even the devs might know this since a dude threw me an AR at the start of a level and not ten minutes later I found one with a laser-sight in the trash.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Is an Index worth getting without the controllers? I have a Vive and got in the queue for an Index thinking it wouldn't prompt for payment for the full 8-10 weeks. That's apparently not happening and they're shipping sooner than expected? The controllers are still way out but I've got my base stations and wands sooooo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

On Terra Firma posted:

Is an Index worth getting without the controllers? I have a Vive and got in the queue for an Index thinking it wouldn't prompt for payment for the full 8-10 weeks. That's apparently not happening and they're shipping sooner than expected? The controllers are still way out but I've got my base stations and wands sooooo

It's one of the best headsets on the market, so yes.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

On Terra Firma posted:

Easily. Buy it and pick up the controllers later, you'll be glad you did.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BoxVR is rebranding itself and getting a graphical update. I think it's a good idea, very possibly people had the idea it was a pure boxing game, and not what it is, a boxing-adjacent exercise program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bify6K87lOQ

--

https://twitter.com/Oculus_Dev/status/1287848849961361409

OpenXR is officially supported by the Oculus Store.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 28, 2020

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay, don't wanna wait for the Quest 2 reveal, I need my VR fix now. What's a good cable to use with the Quest, or what should I be looking for? I'd need around 5 m I think because I have space adjacent to my PC, but I'm a tall being.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Viveport is being a good investment. Some of the included games in the last months:

-Paper Beats
-Fujii
-Down the Rabbit Hole
-Ironlights
-Crisis vrigade 2
-To the Top
-2MD VR Football
-Five Nights at Freedies
-Vox Machinae
-Into the Radius

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 28, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

https://twitter.com/Oculus_Dev/status/1287848849961361409

OpenXR is officially supported by the Oculus Store.

Unfortunately in the small print it requires you to build with Oculus' libraries as well, so you still have to make different versions of your game for Oculus and Steam. More commitment from them to supporting OpenXR is good news for people who are happy to just release on Steam, though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My buddy just got an Index and it's making me feel the VR bug again.I want to play Alyx, and also the rhythm games like beat saber and audica, and then also stuff like Elite Dangerous and that new Star Wars dogfighting game coming out. I put myself on the waitlist for the index but I'm wondering if maybe I should just grab one of the cheaper headsets instead? I can afford the Index but it also feels like blowing money away on something very silly, where a $400 pricetag seems much more reasonable. Also I have glasses.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Blade and Soul just a sandbox arena or does it have actual game modes and goals?

Stan Taylor posted:

My buddy just got an Index and it's making me feel the VR bug again.I want to play Alyx, and also the rhythm games like beat saber and audica, and then also stuff like Elite Dangerous and that new Star Wars dogfighting game coming out. I put myself on the waitlist for the index but I'm wondering if maybe I should just grab one of the cheaper headsets instead? I can afford the Index but it also feels like blowing money away on something very silly, where a $400 pricetag seems much more reasonable. Also I have glasses.
I'll give this one a shot since I bought a Rift S, had it for two weeks, and immediately sent it back and ordered an Index that same week: The Index feels seriously on another level in pretty much all categories compared to the £500 Rift S. It's more comfortable, easier to set up and use, looks and sounds better, and the knuckle controllers are seriously amazing. It's a hard feeling to describe but the money oozes through everything from the packaging to the gear itself. Also I also wear glasses and VR Optician lenses work perfectly.

If your plan is to upgrade regularly then grab the Rift S, but I'm going to keep my Index until the generation-after-next so I don't regret it at all.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 28, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Someone made a VR mod for The Outer Wilds :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctDViUsMM1Q

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pierson posted:

Is Blade and Soul just a sandbox arena or does it have actual game modes and goals?

blade and sorcery? just a sandbox

Stan Taylor posted:

the index is the best but the price is not proportional to how much better it is, no. it *is* very good but not $600 better

consider the G2 or the Rift S as well (do some research)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inacio posted:

blade and sorcery? just a sandbox

the index is the best but the price is not proportional to how much better it is, no. it *is* very good but not $600 better

And the index controllers are seriously take it or leave it. I'm in the CV1 touch is better camp and I actually super dislike my knuckles.

Headset, Yeah fine, whatever, its technically the best tech headset atm even if quality control isn't fantastic. But controllers? ehhhh. Totally depends on the user. I'd say I know equally the same # of people who like and dislike them.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I never did manage to get oculus link work with my PC so I have an rtx 2060 ”super” on the way since I need a gpu upgrade anyway. Hopefully that works or I’m gonna be pissed

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
coming from the land of no VR the rift S is great and amazing

I'm sure the index is better but it's not 'wait an unknown number of months for one and pay double' better

so the new star war interactive movie looks neato

https://www.starwars.com/news/new-star-wars-tales-from-the-galaxys-edge-story-and-cast-details-revealed

i'm almost done with vader and its been worth the few bux to look at cool things and go 'neato'

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I've been following different headset releases for a while now, but a bunch of the specs mean absolutely nothing to me because I haven't had the chance to use one yet. I'm fine with paying extra to have something that will last/be supported/ hold resale value and just deliver a better experience.

Pierson posted:

easier to set up and use
I had assumed the lighthouses meant setup was more involved? or do you mean when you want to just hop in after that initial setup? I can see drivers and getting everything configured being a hassle on either platform.

Inacio posted:

Totally forgot about HP being in the VR game. I'm running a 1070 right now, which should be able to handle most VR games as near as I can tell, but is under the recommended specs for the G2.

The Rift S also would be able to get here way sooner, which would be cool cause I'm still stuck at home. The Quest looks promising but I really want the good PC VR and the implementation there looks pretty janky.

You can use the Rift S for Steam VR stuff right? or does it require working through the oculus store? Like how does navigating your PC/launching games look in either headset? Does any of the Oculus stuff rely on linking to facebook? I have no interest in that.

Thanks for the help with this, It's kinda hard to find reviews and stuff that aren't just dorks getting mad or excited about the per eye resolution or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Stan Taylor posted:

Totally forgot about HP being in the VR game. I'm running a 1070 right now, which should be able to handle most VR games as near as I can tell, but is under the recommended specs for the G2.

The Rift S also would be able to get here way sooner, which would be cool cause I'm still stuck at home. The Quest looks promising but I really want the good PC VR and the implementation there looks pretty janky.

You can use the Rift S for Steam VR stuff right? or does it require working through the oculus store? Like how does navigating your PC/launching games look in either headset? Does any of the Oculus stuff rely on linking to facebook? I have no interest in that.

Thanks for the help with this, It's kinda hard to find reviews and stuff that aren't just dorks getting mad or excited about the per eye resolution or whatever.

yeah, rift s works with steam vr with no problems. launching games is fine, but dont expect to (comfortably) do your taxes in vr or anything.
it's still a facebook product, but you don't have to use facebook for it (i dont even have an account). you only need a facebook account if you're invested in the ecosystem? i don't know because ive never used it