Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was messing around with items and tried Red Card (if you attack this Pokémon you get ejected)

If something with dynamax hits you not only does nothing happen (dynamax can’t be triggered away) but the red card is wasted. Seems bad!

They didn't want it to be too easy to get rid of. But you can give that pokemon an Eject button and kick it out that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

albany academy posted:

I lucked out and got a used 3ds loaded with all the other games, plus all my physical copies so I managed to get a lot of stuff through pokemon bank > home without a lot of grinding. For once in my miserable life I can maybe complete my Pokédex and find out what that gamefreak guy says

I'm working on this now. I completed the SW/SH dex and got inspired. I'm almost done, I just need to get a ditto in ORAS so I can breed some stuff for Bank. But who thought that putting ditto on a randomly spawning location was a good idea? Seriously, I hate asking random people for help but if someone wants to send me a ORAS capable ditto before I snap my 3DS in half, I'd appreciate it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seems, however, that this item can't be used to change hidden abilities back to regular abilities. They were careful not to give us No Guard Fissure Machamp.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Thanks to all the goons who joined in for the chain shiny wailord raids! I believe everyone that participated scored at least one, and I got my big boy in a dream ball. :cool:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

I'm working on this now. I completed the SW/SH dex and got inspired. I'm almost done, I just need to get a ditto in ORAS so I can breed some stuff for Bank. But who thought that putting ditto on a randomly spawning location was a good idea? Seriously, I hate asking random people for help but if someone wants to send me a ORAS capable ditto before I snap my 3DS in half, I'd appreciate it.

Nevermind. Four hours of soft resets and wonder trading later and I got my dang ditto. That's still one of the dumbest decisions I've seen while doing this whole thing.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Carlosologist posted:

I've played each game more or less as they came out, and I can't imagine how all the new features feel to someone who hasn't played in literally 20 years

The quality of life additions are definitely amazing. Like being able to fly right off the bat is incredible. The exp sharing is also nice but drat the game is so much easier than they used to be!

Can't wait to get the isle of armor once I beat the game in the next day or two :toot:

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

zeldadude posted:

The quality of life additions are definitely amazing. Like being able to fly right off the bat is incredible.
A big one for me, strange as it sounds, is Pokemon HOME's IV checker, and access in the Wild Areas to Pokemon breeding. Is it slower without a Bicycle? Yes, but you can get one soon enough afterwards, just after the first gym (just after the other Day Care, coincidence of coincidences). But if I really want to, I can breed up a starter without having to trade over an Egg (or hatch it on another game and have a high-level rebel).

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Goddamn I hate shiny breeding. Still... I gotta get me my charcoal activated Alcremie.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

It took me six months, but I finally finished my living dex! I also have no idea what I'm going to do now, since I spent so much time and energy in this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Soysaucebeast posted:

It took me six months, but I finally finished my living dex! I also have no idea what I'm going to do now, since I spent so much time and energy in this.

Do a shiny version?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

the_steve posted:

Do a shiny version?

Oh God no lol. I'm flirting with the idea of getting all the variants (like alcremie and vivillon and whatnot) and even that is seeming like a little too much for me. I can't imagine breeding 900 shinies. I spent a solid month trying to get a shiney mimikyu for my boyfriend around Christmas before I gave up and got one from that twitch stream for him.

I think I'm just gonna putz around in animal crossing until the DLC comes out.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Soysaucebeast posted:

Oh God no lol. I'm flirting with the idea of getting all the variants (like alcremie and vivillon and whatnot) and even that is seeming like a little too much for me. I can't imagine breeding 900 shinies. I spent a solid month trying to get a shiney mimikyu for my boyfriend around Christmas before I gave up and got one from that twitch stream for him.

It's absolutely fine to just put the game on the shelf until Crowne Tundra, that's basically what I'm gonna do. Just pop in every so often to this thread or Serebii to keep an eye on event distributions.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This was a good expansion if you play online vs other players - the metagame has changed a lot and is very interesting now imo

Unfortunately I have been having a biiiit of difficulty with a certain slot on my team and I realized ah poo poo I just need to throw a Togekiss in there. I resisted having one for so long

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Soysaucebeast posted:

You got that right. Seriously don't try and build a shiny dex. If you don't go insane you're gonna do yourself some physical damage (had to go the chiropractor cuz' I got a crick in my neck from looking down at the switch during my shiny breeding stint)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

More beta pokes this time from gen 4

Grapplejack posted:

beta pogeys

I am desperately trying to convince myself not to buy this as an av

god i hate probopass and his stupid face

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Beta Togekiss and beta Rampardos are my poo poo.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Beta Cranidos & Rampardos are so much better than the finals, holy poo poo

“Graphic design is my passion” Giratina owns too

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Is that Arceus looking like Landorus-T?

I'm assuming that blue spark is Rotom.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Proto Gabite is my dino friend.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Imagine if shiny Garchomp was just the beta colors

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

That’s an interesting backsprite for Lickilicky. I’m curious what the how the whole original looked.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I really like beta Abomasnow, it looks a lot like a reptile wearing a lot of leaves and snow. Also looks like beta Darkrai was going to go into a more ninja aesthetic which honestly seems to fit more than his weird lower cloud half does.

Also lol at beta Prinplup looking like a teenager wearing his dad's suit. Beta Torterra is also ugly but kind of more interesting than the one we got

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

Proto Gabite is my dino friend.

I really like it more than the final one

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
What is even going on with "beta Giratina"'s face? Is that jowls? A trunk?

I wish they'd kept the gist of the beta Lumineon and refined it. It's a lot more memorable than the generic blue fish we ended up with.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

dungeon cousin posted:

Is that Arceus looking like Landorus-T?

Pretty sure that's Giratina (it has six legs), and Arceus is the rough draft to the right of that.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Truly disgusting heads on the lake guardians.

I like that Toxicroak hasn't changed at all cause they loving nailed it and knew it.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheHan posted:

Truly disgusting heads on the lake guardians.

Uxie is Quite Something from behind

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is the team I settled on this month

From the earlier team - changed Dusclops to Porygon 2, added Milotic (great for rain teams and all the Incineroars trying to mess with my Marowak and Cinderace)

Team has so many possible leads. Feels like it’s pretty good and when I lost I made some bad choices

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

No stealth rock / spikes?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Had a spur of the moment desire to transform my look into GCW-era Ric Flair, and got most of the way there before i realised that there werent any good aviator sunglasses, the hairstyles arent quite right and theres no hand accessories thatll let me be a diamond ring wearin rolex wearin wheelin dealin son of a gun. The tan suit was not cheap

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

albany academy posted:

That's a Doubles team

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

More beta pokes this time from gen 4

Beta Abomasnow is so much better in every way than the one we got it feels like a crime.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ghosts of Tsushima went from "this is cool" to "i'm struggling to even turn the game on" pretty quick for some reason for me, and have been gettin a weird hankerin to play Pokemon some more. Though I'm kind of less interested in doing the DLC and more interested in getting back on that shiny grind :v:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Ghosts of Tsushima went from "this is cool" to "i'm struggling to even turn the game on" pretty quick for some reason for me, and have been gettin a weird hankerin to play Pokemon some more. Though I'm kind of less interested in doing the DLC and more interested in getting back on that shiny grind :v:

What shinies you looking' for exactly? I have some shiny breedjects if you want em'.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

albany academy posted:

Oops should’ve mentioned - this is doubles in game, the team wins matches in master ball. Milotic was a late addition because
1. So much Incineroar. So much
2. I actually found myself not needing a follow me user on this team - they were dead weight way too often. Togekiss in that slot otherwise is very solid if you want to use togekiss.

Venusaur existing on the field is basically a better follow me user than the real thing. Focus sash is so useful to eat first turn max airstreams

first gen I play doubles instead of singles - imo much much much better game and you start to realize all the weird “dumb” balance decisions they made over the years are because they are balancing for that format. Weird that you basically never do doubles in game though

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

first gen I play doubles instead of singles - imo much much much better game and you start to realize all the weird “dumb” balance decisions they made over the years are because they are balancing for that format. Weird that you basically never do doubles in game though

This was always the dumbest thing. I liked when they filled the game with sets of two trainers you could take on as a team or individuals depending on which way you approached them. Emerald or Platinum, that was.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

"THE AWESOME GHOST" post posted:

Would you mind expounding on the weird balance decisions? I am interested as someone still trying to figure out my first comp team.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Flopsy posted:

What shinies you looking' for exactly? I have some shiny breedjects if you want em'.

Oh I dunno at the moment, I just like breeding shineys cause it's relaxing and you can just do that and watch youtube.

Is Psyduck in the game yet?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

They did doubles only games twice and they were a horribly paced slog that made you burn through tons of healing items because in every fight you'd take at least chip damage. They also had to limit those games to sub-100 Pokemon to keep any semblance of balance intact. And every game since gen 4 had the ability to play doubles in the Battle Facility.

Temtem, the Steam clone of Pokemon does doubles only and is very clunky and had to reimagine a few mechanics to make it tolerable.

EDIT: I am not saying that doubles is bad, but it's clear that making a doubles league or even story mode is very hard, especially with 8 gens of Pokemon to balance it against. Doubles is very much about counters to specific comps you can encounter than about general coverage and you can get very easily cheesed if you come unprepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Oh I dunno at the moment, I just like breeding shineys cause it's relaxing and you can just do that and watch youtube.

Is Psyduck in the game yet?

Yep the squishy duck is in. Also I got a shiny galarian farfetch'd with his hidden ability and 4 IVs and a shiny female Snorunt I bred. She doesn't have her hidden ability but the Crown Tundra expansion makes that point moot. I believe she has five IVs. If you want either of these guys just let me know.