Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there was a pretty recent game that let you respawn places like forts after clearing the game. Far Cry 2 had them repopulate, but they also did it instantly the moment you got out of range and that was a little overkill lol

also the red sakai clan armor is so loving sexy good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TLOU2 has a fully featured chapter (with mid-chapter checkpoints) and specific encounter replay function that should be shamelessly copied by every single loving game moving forward.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I just want a NG+ that lets me keep my upgrades/skills.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

need more Battle Shots and less standing around next to pretty things!!!

half of the reason I even switch stance anymore is to get cool poses for the photo mode lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i will say, one of my only problems is there arnt enough patrols of baddies at times. other than that. games loving amazing and i can't wait for the sequel. i am curious where it will be set. maybe second mongol invasion or maybe another time in japanese history.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Holy gently caress, you get the best mask for completing all the Inari shrines.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

A potential cool as hell setting for a sequel could be the early-mid 19th century Meiji Restoration when japan opened back up, began to industrialize and started to abolish the shogunate. Sort of a Changing of the Old Ways deal going on, which isn't something really explored in modern times outside of Shogun 2 expansions and Tom Cruise movies.

Plus, the whole "Death of the Samurai" themes would be a nice parallel to Red Dead's "End of the Old West" themes and Samurai/Cowboy movies cribbing and remaking each other has been happening for about as long as either have existed, so that would be fun. And there'd be trains.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Basic Poster posted:

I thought about that too. In the post game, it would be cool to have some meditation mode where you could revisit missions or battles from the past and replay them.

All games with fun combat should have a customisable wave mode that unlocks on completion.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

duel mode boss rush

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Starting to agree with people who say that the throwables should be on cool down or something. Or maybe a way to earn ammo back with combat mechanics or by finishing a fight. I'd love to be able to experiment a bit more but ammo for anything other than kunai is in short supply. Having to fast travel to stock up before a base is a chore.

Friendly Fire posted:

All games with fun combat should have a customisable wave mode that unlocks on completion.

It should be available early on. I much prefer having something like to practice in so that I could be better for the actual missions and regular gameplay.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

A potential cool as hell setting for a sequel could be the early-mid 19th century Meiji Restoration when japan opened back up, began to industrialize and started to abolish the shogunate. Sort of a Changing of the Old Ways deal going on, which isn't something really explored in modern times outside of Shogun 2 expansions and Tom Cruise movies.

Plus, the whole "Death of the Samurai" themes would be a nice parallel to Red Dead's "End of the Old West" themes and Samurai/Cowboy movies cribbing and remaking each other has been happening for about as long as either have existed, so that would be fun. And there'd be trains.

I mean, that's what the first Way of the Samurai is all about. Basically if they (Sucker Punch), just pay homage to that game with like multiple endings and poo poo, I think that'd be pretty dope.

If they went left field and did something like Samurai Western, I wouldn't be mad either.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I loving love the Way of the Samurai games, I replay 3 like once a year lol

Lobok posted:

Starting to agree with people who say that the throwables should be on cool down or something. Or maybe a way to earn ammo back with combat mechanics or by finishing a fight. I'd love to be able to experiment a bit more but ammo for anything other than kunai is in short supply. Having to fast travel to stock up before a base is a chore.

I'm also never stocked on kunai because they're way too fun and useful when you can huck 5 of those things at once and obliterate an entire patrol.

It's not much help for your specific problem but a shrine in act 2 gives you a charm that gives you a kunai whenever you perfect dodge.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wonder how far you can push a no upgrades playthrough. That means no springs, no fox dens and no bamboo strikes. The game doesn’t gate anything with upgrades, right? The ghost weapons are tied to growing your legend but upgrades and technique points are all optional right? Do you even get the stances by default or do you need to put points in them?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 26, 2020

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder how far you can push a no upgrades playthrough. That means no springs, no fox dens and no bamboo strikes. The game doesn’t gate anything with upgrades, right? The ghost weapons are tied to growing your legend but upgrades and technique points are all optional right? Do you even get the stances by default or do you need to put points in them?

You get stances from defeating leaders, which happens in some story missions, not sure how many though. You also get health increases when your level your legend up, which will also happen from story missions. So theoretically, you could do a minimalist run where you don't spend any skill points, but you'd still get stances and some health increases.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You get the stances by default I believe, it's the upgrades to them you spend points on. And there's a couple of resolve and health upgrades you get as rewards from raising your legend.

My only concern would be weapon upgrades; I could see the bows quickly becoming almost entirely useless, and for some missions that's uhhh not gonna be a good time. Also, without sword upgrades, fights would start to take forever once you get upgraded big boys mixing in.

some kind of "subsistance" stealth mode would be tight as hell though, that limits you to just your swords until you find greatly more limited supplies of ghost weapons and ammo. All stealth games should have that kind of option lol

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just through Act 2

The whole thing where Jin is made out to be some kind of criminal is very forced. When I was playing this game I hardly ever used poison. I do standoffs basically every chance I get. If there was a slider where at one end was PERFECT BUSHIDO SAMURAI and the other was HONOR-LESS MURDERER I'd only be like a quarter away from PERFECT BUSHIDO SAMURAI, but the story forces me to poison an entire fort's worth of mongols and piss off my uncle.

I think games these days go too far with forcing people into alternate endings, but I feel this was a serious missed chance. This could have had small elements of the Dishonored system based on how you played the game.

Anyways, this game is good, but that's a *minor* gripe I had with it.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

need more Battle Shots and less standing around next to pretty things!!!

Having a drink with my boy, Kenji

... and sleeping off the resulting hangover

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

You get the stances by default I believe, it's the upgrades to them you spend points on. And there's a couple of resolve and health upgrades you get as rewards from raising your legend.

Outside of Stone, you get all the rest from Observing/Killing camp leaders and generals.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ice Fist posted:

Just through Act 2

The whole thing where Jin is made out to be some kind of criminal is very forced. When I was playing this game I hardly ever used poison. I do standoffs basically every chance I get. If there was a slider where at one end was PERFECT BUSHIDO SAMURAI and the other was HONOR-LESS MURDERER I'd only be like a quarter away from PERFECT BUSHIDO SAMURAI, but the story forces me to poison an entire fort's worth of mongols and piss off my uncle.

I think games these days go too far with forcing people into alternate endings, but I feel this was a serious missed chance. This could have had small elements of the Dishonored system based on how you played the game.

Anyways, this game is good, but that's a *minor* gripe I had with it.

The idea of poison somehow being the tipping point didn't really land with me, especially since Jin has spent the last 30 hours doing way more morally questionable poo poo, and depending on how you do Act 2 it's something you only have access to for like 30 minutes beforehand. I feel like there were so many other ways they could have written that scene to drive the wedge deeper there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Outside of Stone, you get all the rest from Observing/Killing camp leaders and generals.

yeah that's what I meant, you just sort of get them as you do things, you don't get the option to not unlock them. I guess you could ignore basically every camp but the story sends you on enough General fights that you might not be able to keep from unlocking them.

Proteus Jones posted:

Having a drink with my boy, Kenji

... and sleeping off the resulting hangover

hell yes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Ah thats right. So skipping all side quest and only completing the main story quests should be fun.

This guy on reddit is currently doing something similar and has posted some good boss duel videos with no charms or katana upgrades:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostoftsu...utm_name=iossmf

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 26, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The idea of poison somehow being the tipping point didn't really land with me, especially since Jin has spent the last 30 hours doing way more morally questionable poo poo, and depending on how you do Act 2 it's something you only have access to for like 30 minutes beforehand. I feel like there were so many other ways they could have written that scene to drive the wedge deeper there.

I took it more as Uncle turning a blind eye to all of your non-bushido shenanigans because he didn't personally see it happen, so he could pretend that he wasn't benefiting from it while masquerading as an honorable person in order to maintain his status (such is the Samurai way), but this is you directly telling him to his face that you see through the bullshit and actually care about saving people more than you do saving face, so he can't plausibly deny it anymore and must act against you publicly or admit to himself and the shogun's people that their entire way of life is dumb. It is weird that it all hinges on poison though, as sneaking in and murdering everyone in the middle of the night would likely be seen as just as dishonorable and it''s way more likely to be how it would pan out anyway but I guess they have to pretend you couldn't have solved this entire invasion by yourself in the cutscenes in order for the story to work lol

In short, the way of the samurai is bad, and wrong. There should be a new, stronger word for it, like badwrong, or badong. Jin stands for the opposite of the samurai code: gnodab.

Also, I don't know who these Oga guys are but their color scheme is loving sweet

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 26, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

My problem with the third act is the poison. How did the mongols know about it and then how to make it? When Jin took out the whole castle the Khan already left for the north and there were no survivors. They go from not knowing poo poo to mass-producing it like they are Henry Ford.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nothing in this game has made my lust for Khan Death more heated than the beginning of act 3.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

Nothing in this game has made my lust for Khan Death more heated than the beginning of act 3.

:hai:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

jabro posted:

My problem with the third act is the poison. How did the mongols know about it and then how to make it? When Jin took out the whole castle the Khan already left for the north and there were no survivors. They go from not knowing poo poo to mass-producing it like they are Henry Ford.

Yeah this is definitely one of the things that didn't land with me. I have no issues with Shimura and the mainland samurai pitching a fit over it, but on top of that the game tries to make the player wonder if Jin really did the right thing in a way that just didn't hit at all. By this point it's already been established that the Mongols are spreading disease by dumping bodies in wells, so them somehow knowing precisely how to make Jin's poison just through knowing soldiers died and putting it to use just straight-up didn't work out for me. They were already doing this poo poo through different means.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah this is definitely one of the things that didn't land with me. I have no issues with Shimura and the mainland samurai pitching a fit over it, but on top of that the game tries to make the player wonder if Jin really did the right thing in a way that just didn't hit at all. By this point it's already been established that the Mongols are spreading disease by dumping bodies in wells, so them somehow knowing precisely how to make Jin's poison just through knowing soldiers died and putting it to use just straight-up didn't work out for me. They were already doing this poo poo through different means.

I figure it's probably the Khan sending a message since at this point the beef between him and the ghost is personal. While you were studying the blade, he was studying... everything else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that Ghost weapon ammo is all over the place but darts are hard to get. As far as I can tell you don't get them from Mongols which is a problem if you run out and get a bonus objective of poisoning Mongols. Everything else is on corpses or just sitting around ready to be picked up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

jabro posted:

Conversations with the Khan records tell you how.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

holy poo poo I found the Tengai, I knew this loving thing was in this game somewhere. Finally.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Oh Snapple! posted:

It didn't really land with me either. I can understand why Shimura would be super upset that Jin went and poisoned a bunch of dudes against his direct orders and in a "dishonorable" way. But to say that no one had ever thought of poison before and somehow Jin was the first person in history to think of using poison to kill your enemies was a huge stretch. It actually kind of took me out of the game a little bit every time they brought it up.

Act 3 was honestly pretty weak compared to the rest of the game. Act 1 and Act 2 were full of optional poo poo and you could see the whole laundry list of things you needed to do in order to move on to the next act. But once you hit Act 3 it gives you the main missions in sequential order even though the overall objective between Act 2 and 3 are nearly identical (attack the stronghold where the Khan is). Further, it felt like Sucker Punch really kind of rushed the ending, one minute you're an outlaw having to rebuild from scratch and the next you're ready to assault the port with your allies. There's even a point where Yuna says "we need siege weapons" and I was ready for a full on battle where we had to secure them, but instead it's like "oh Kenji got them don't worry about it."

I'm getting into fanfiction territory but I'd much rather have seen them redo Act 2's general themes on a grander scale and without the help of Lord Shimura. gently caress it, make Shimura and the Shogun's Samurai openly hostile and turn them into another set of baddies to fight. Now Jin has to not only rebuild his alliance so he can assault the Khan but actively become a "traitor" to do it. Give me separate missions where I have to go back to convince Lady Masako, Sensei Ishikara, and Norio that I'm doing the right thing and they should follow me because Shimura's honor is going to get them all killed.

I dunno. The final mission with the Khan fight was fantastic, don't get me wrong...I just wish the rest of Act 3 was as strong.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
There's such an insane amount of poo poo to do in this game. I'm not even through Act 1 and just keep finding more little side quests and poo poo

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a thing i do which reveals the map at all?

So far i've just been going through the main story missions in the first area and i was planning to mop up the area afterwards. It feels like a lot of the side quests reveal the map through natural exploration but i don't think that's going to reveal all the different question marks and such.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kin posted:

Is there a thing i do which reveals the map at all?

So far i've just been going through the main story missions in the first area and i was planning to mop up the area afterwards. It feels like a lot of the side quests reveal the map through natural exploration but i don't think that's going to reveal all the different question marks and such.

Clear all the camps to get a full reveal of each region.

You also get good material rewards as well as finding loads of materials in camps. Plus they're fun!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JBP posted:

Clear all the camps to get a full reveal of each region.

Specifically, you need to liberate all the main villages / camps. Some of these (like the castles) are tied to the story so you can’t completely liberate an area prior to finishing an act. If you fully zoom out on the map it’ll show you your current liberation count.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Specifically, you need to liberate all the main villages / camps. Some of these (like the castles) are tied to the story so you can’t completely liberate an area prior to finishing an act. If you fully zoom out on the map it’ll show you your current liberation count.

Yeah I found a place in Act 1 that says "occupied territory" but nobody is there so I assume it's tied to the story

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A good rules is to do the initial main missions when you rock up in the next area. It will always give you some neat armour, tools or skills that you'll often wish you had for funsies when tackling camps and side quests.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Babe Magnet posted:

I figure it's probably the Khan sending a message since at this point the beef between him and the ghost is personal. While you were studying the blade, he was studying... everything else.

Act 2-3 and end spoilers:
I don't see the Khan not embracing dramatic death poison, his whole deal is being as brutal as possible so the enemy capitulates faster maximizing "peace". It doesn't have to be better at killing just demoralizing . Jin is upset because he personally handed his enemy a brand new toy to inflict terror on his people with it doesn't have to be super rational.
The poison isn't very realistic tbh but eh videogames :shrug:

I feel like the north is just a test run for the Khan, not sure he views Jin as much more than a dangerous annoyance before the very end and after he sailed off Jin would have been trapped and no longer a threat.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hub Cat posted:

I don't see the Khan not embracing dramatic death poison, his whole deal is being as brutal as possible so the enemy capitulates faster maximizing "peace". It doesn't have to be better at killing just demoralizing . Jin is upset because he personally handed his enemy a brand new toy to commit terror on his people with it doesn't have to be super rational.
I feel like the north is just a test run for the Khan, not sure he views Jin as much more than a dangerous annoyance before the very end and after he sailed off Jin would have been trapped and no longer a threat.

It parses fine for me because the Mongols loved working out enemy weapons and using them. The Khan also has learned Japanese assistants