Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Went out last weekend, while it was far too hot and dry to turn up much, I did find:

Some adorable and basically perfect oysters (not enough to be worth harvesting, alas)

and what I think is hairy leather cup, Galiella rufa

:synpa:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s been so many oysters here we practically stopped picking them up.

Finally found some chanterelles :)

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Those look like cinnabars. Delicious.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went mushroom hunting high in the Sandia mountains this morning. I was hoping to find morels but had no luck. I found a couple things that seemed sketchy, plus a few of what I believe are oyster mushrooms and a TON of wood ears.

First, some odd little guys hiding in a dead tree:

Then this weird blob near the base of a live tree. I cut into it to see what it was like, very firm and dense and a little sticky. Flesh felt like it might be edible but I couldn't find it in my book:

Next I found a couple boys hiding inside a live tree right at the base. I cut one out and took a look, couldn't identify it for sure so I left it. Thought it might be an amanita of some sort:

Some more mushrooms I couldn't identify for sure:

(thumb for scale)

Now here are the ones I feel more confident about. I think these are oysters? I found them in two separate groups growing on dead trees. They're pretty small, maybe the size of a half-dollar. Any reason to think these aren't safe to eat?

And here are the wood ears, which I'm pretty much certain on and just have to figure out what to do with them:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can anyone recommend what type of terrain / vegetation I should be looking in for mushrooms here in New Mexico? We've got lots of juniper and scrubby oak at low elevations, pines and such higher up, and aspen at the highest elevations. There's not a lot of big oaks like I see some people mention in this thread. I've heard you should look in recent burn areas for morels, but I'm wondering if I can find some stuff more locally... maybe down along the river after a rain?

Near rivers, yes, but in soil or sandy soil. Burns, yes for Morels.

Your best bet is to get a book about mushrooms of the Southwest and just get out into nature. Maybe google your question with site:reddit.com or find some forums.

But getting out is best. My current area isn't as shroomy as others here.

Don't feel discouraged by small finds. The big halls are veterans with spots they return to year after year.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I went camping last week and found a few good specimens. Two I'm having a harder time identifying.

The first one looks like an immature chanterelle that got attacked by some slugs, but it's a couple months too early and too dry for chanterelles here. It also did not smell fruity:

The second one was growing out of a stump. I thought they were oysters until I looked at the gills:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The second one, check out the velvet footed pax

The first one DOES look like a chanterelle. What kind of area did you find it in?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Mossy forest floor under a doug fir and I think ocean spray (Holodiscus discolor). Typical PNW forest, but maybe north enough to be earlier? Was around the 50th parallel. If it was a chanterelle I'll have to keep a sharper eye out for them this time of year.

Thank you for the ID on the second one!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Does it pull apart like string cheese?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Yeah, this is the number one test for Chants to me. That and the smell.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Found some more

And a bunch of kinda ugly oysters

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Kinda. It was somewhere in between a russula and something a little more fibrous. It had everything except the smell. It just smelt like mushroom and dirt.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Could be one of the 'fake chantarelles', hygrophoropsis family, if it doesn't smell like apricots or pepper. Not strictly speaking inedible, but are thought to cause cancer.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Found this absolute unit underneath a dead tree while I was kayaking. Anyone got any ideas on how to go about identifying it (and if you could talk me through the process I'd appreciate). Found it in Northern Micigan. Underside doesn't have any gills. The edges are orange, but faded. So this'll probably make me high af right?

https://imgur.com/7tK6qW8

Edit: FFS I'm a grown rear end adult and I can never figure out how to link these drat things right.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 27, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Found some friends hiking around the other day, the only one I know is the Indian Pipe or Ghost I believe? This might not he the thread for it haha

GodspeedSphere posted:

Edit: FFS I'm a grown rear end adult and I can never figure out how to link these drat things right.

I usually copy the image link on imgur, paste it here and preview reply the edit "url" to say timg

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Indian pipe is a plant but it’s a parasite on fungi so it’s fine here as far as I’m concerned! They occur closely together based on that relationship and healthy populations of Indian pipe are good scouting indicators for how suitable an area is

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the yeti posted:

Indian pipe is a plant but it’s a parasite on fungi so it’s fine here as far as I’m concerned! They occur closely together based on that relationship and healthy populations of Indian pipe are good scouting indicators for how suitable an area is

Yeah, the area that turned up the most mushrooms the other day had Indian pipe all over. Neat plant.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

the yeti posted:

That's awesome, the fungi world is wild. Any idea on the other two?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I know very little about polypores except Reishi. Looks like it could be a "hoof fungus," for obvious reasons.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I know very little about polypores except Reishi. Looks like it could be a "hoof fungus," for obvious reasons.

That one is, yeah I believe so.

This one, maybe Fomitopsis pinicola, red banded polypore?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

the yeti posted:

This one, maybe Fomitopsis pinicola, red banded polypore?

Do you use the Picture Mushroom app? That’s how it identified it for me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

All the rain we're getting here in central NC makes me optimistic. Time to go check my black trumpet spots. They're my third favorite. Behind morels and maitakes.

Tias
May 25, 2008

BTs are the poo poo <3

What's a maitake?

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
Can I submit a jelly fungus? So far this is my favorite discovery on my mushrooming hunts. Smelled delightful, a bright flowery scent. This was around Salt Point, CA in late January.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

These are some of my favorite to find. Not sure on ID. When young, caps are bright red and pores are a deep yellow.

I want to say Russula.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 1, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

A russula would have gills not pores. That my friend is a bolete of some variety. This is a handy tool to help you identify what it might be, I got it down to ~30 options just with what I could see in the picture and your location in your profile. https://boletes.wpamushroomclub.org/

corgski fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 1, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

corgski posted:

A russula would have gills not pores. That my friend is a bolete of some variety. This is a handy tool to help you identify what it might be, I got it down to ~30 options just with what I could see in the picture and your location in your profile. https://boletes.wpamushroomclub.org/

Oh duh.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tias posted:

What's a maitake?
Also known as hen of the woods, scientific name Grifola frondosa.

Anyone around here eat black-staining polypores? I found a bunch today.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Found a TON of oyster mushrooms today, which proceeded to coat my table in a thick layer of spores when I left them in the pile for a few hours:

We also found some other stuff we didn't quite trust:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those yellow guys are gorgeous but I have no idea what they are. Were they also on the log?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the yeti posted:

Those yellow guys are gorgeous but I have no idea what they are. Were they also on the log?

No, they were in the dirt. There was a group of them in one spot, and then that singleton on the other side of the trail.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I need to get better at identifying boletes because there’s tons of them around here in NY and I wanna eat them

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

After blundering that Russula/Bolete shroom (Russula have gills!) I refreshed myself on that particular color combo.

There's three boletes w/red caps and yellow stems that look very similar. One is supposedly delicious, one is not good to eat, one CAN be poisonous to you. Good cautionary lesson.

Boletus Bicolor (Edible)

Boletus Pseudosensibilis (Not great)

Boletus Sensibilis (Poisonous to some people)

Probably best to have ammonia on hand, because the other identifying trait is how fast they bruise blue. That's enough to put these WAY outside my comfort zone, even if there's other ways to be sure. Probably won't ever eat this red/yellow combo unless some mushroom guru blesses me or something

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Have a pic dump from my forest walks last weekend! (MN)
I don't know what most of these are, feel free to inform me, especially if they're no-brainer edibles

These were all over the place!

As were these... Gray coral mushroom?

Fairy fingers?

No fungus here, but finding bones is fun too

These looked like ink caps, perhaps?

More of these, seriously I was nearly tripping over them

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

Also known as hen of the woods, scientific name Grifola frondosa.

Anyone around here eat black-staining polypores? I found a bunch today.

Oh word, those are delicious - in my language they're called Cauliflower mushroom, on account of the look.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

Oh word, those are delicious - in my language they're called Cauliflower mushroom, on account of the look.

The joy of common names. In the US cauliflower mushroom is usually Sparassis crispa or relatives.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ThePopeOfFun posted:

After blundering that Russula/Bolete shroom (Russula have gills!) I refreshed myself on that particular color combo.

There's three boletes w/red caps and yellow stems that look very similar. One is supposedly delicious, one is not good to eat, one CAN be poisonous to you. Good cautionary lesson.

Boletus Bicolor (Edible)

Boletus Pseudosensibilis (Not great)

Boletus Sensibilis (Poisonous to some people)

Probably best to have ammonia on hand, because the other identifying trait is how fast they bruise blue. That's enough to put these WAY outside my comfort zone, even if there's other ways to be sure. Probably won't ever eat this red/yellow combo unless some mushroom guru blesses me or something

I take some issue with a few things that guy says (based on education from people at it longer than him and my own experiences) so I’ll try to remember to come back to this for elaboration —-but let me point out that a reliable telltale for pseudosensibilis vs bicolor and others is that its pores stain blue then fade to brown (Ref https://boletes.wpamushroomclub.org/product/boletus-pseudosensibilis/)

the yeti fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 2, 2020

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

My job has fringe benefits. Free workout, outdoors all the time, and sometimes, mushrooms.

These are Agaricus campestris, meadow mushrooms. Gonna sautee them up tomorrow morning for breakfast with some eggs and mild cheese.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The French Army posted:

My job has fringe benefits. Free workout, outdoors all the time, and sometimes, mushrooms.

These are Agaricus campestris, meadow mushrooms. Gonna sautee them up tomorrow morning for breakfast with some eggs and mild cheese.
Nice! My work parking lot puts up puffballs, but I'm a little too apprehensive to pick things out of the parking lot medians. I'm worried about pesticides and contamination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Anything near or below the road is a no go, or anything in a splash zone. You never know what's being absorbed. Just like how you never eat the berries below the waist.