Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This is amusing. But entirely by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

That used to be a sign for a public telephone, I think.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 12, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 12, 1998)

Garfield Classic (December 12, 1988)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

The last strip is a spoof of this Time cover from July 3, 1995:

I'm sure I'll get the joke if I actually go read the article, but :effort:

The joke is that the article in question was fearmongering bullshit of the "There are perverts on the Internet and they're COMING FOR YOUR CHILDREN!" type, and gave more fuel to censorious sorts like the aforementioned Senator Exon. Even the author of the article admitted it was nonsense.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/26/00 (reoriented for your convenience)

Brenda Starr 3/15/42

Smokey Stover 10/18/36

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Respect the "It's my birthday!" move.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Outfits by Ann Taylor Baby

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

They're as insufferable as the parents. That's how you know they're not adopted.

All our complaints about McEldowney forgetting the babies made a finger on a monkey's paw curl somewhere and this is the result. He's going to write these two to be innocent onlookers of Amos and Edda loving, or analyzing every single line of the letters Amos wrote to them when they were still inside their mom. :barf:

They're going to do an online search about Dethany and see her stupid unicorn avatar.

I'm pretty sure this is new to the GoComics run, since Erin just appeared without fanfare in this story. It was also a huge WTF moment since her last appearance was getting dragged to hell and everyone forgetting she existed back during SGR.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Dec 22, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 11-12, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby

(May 9, 2016)

(Jul 27, 2020)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know who still loves Halloween and Trick or Treating?

Kids!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I will never get over the fact that Steve the tramp is Dick Tracy's greatest nemesis.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't get bothered much by this kind of "kids these days don't know what they're missing by not having exactly my childhood experience," but this one today drove me nuts.

I grew up in the country-rear end country. Here's my Halloween experience: We got off the bus at my grandma's house, mom picked us up at 530, we drove home, ate dinner, dressed up, and then drove back to grandma's house, where she had spent the 2 hours we were gone filling up gallon zip-loc bags with candy and little presents so we could get our pumpkin heads full between her house and our other grandma's house, who did the same thing. And that was it. Two grandmas, two zip-loc bags, in bed by 9.

AND IT WAS GREAT because we were SEVEN.

And also because GRANDMAS are GREAT.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

:nws:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Crabgrass: okay lol he has a great dad

Garfield: wow okay that Garfield is actually kind of relatable

Calvin and Hobbes: I remember trying to puzzle out what on earth was going on in that one with the "kiddy matinee" because no one in my family knew what that was, and apparently it means going to a movie theatre in the afternoon and kiddy implies there were kids so what movie, Calvin spent the entire time wired playing with kids

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

The kids (...teens? It's unclear) in the comic look so weird. Like Hummel figurines or gnomes or old babies or something.

Speaking of babies, Brooke has never laid eyes on one in his life. Those babies look 12 years old.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ooof.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKxhI4I5kq8

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Calvin and Hobbes: I remember trying to puzzle out what on earth was going on in that one with the "kiddy matinee" because no one in my family knew what that was, and apparently it means going to a movie theatre in the afternoon and kiddy implies there were kids so what movie, Calvin spent the entire time wired playing with kids

Matinee is basically an afternoon movie, yeah. Kiddie implies that it was some G rated cartoon that his dad thinks is beneath him to go watch. It's not so much that he was playing with other kids as just being Calvin and not being able to sit still and drifting off and talking inappropriately and probably yelling at the screen.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Given how frazzled Calvin's mom is, it's more likely that the kids were doing stuff like running all through the aisles and throwing popcorn at each other.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

I thought that concavity near the bottom of their faces in profile meant their mouths were open, but that means in panel 2 they're just staring at each other/the cassettes with their mouths hanging open. Now I'm questioning my understanding of Boondocks anatomy

Is the tiny point under their nose the mouth and the bottom most point a chin?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Boop is self aware in a nice way that is not overly irritating

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

The Bloop posted:

Matinee is basically an afternoon movie, yeah. Kiddie implies that it was some G rated cartoon that his dad thinks is beneath him to go watch. It's not so much that he was playing with other kids as just being Calvin and not being able to sit still and drifting off and talking inappropriately and probably yelling at the screen.

Often, theaters will run specific matinees that you can bring your kids to instead of a regular showing, so parents can get a chance to watch a movie without worrying about their kids being disruptive to other patrons. My understanding is that it's generally for younger kids that don't have the attention span or self control for a full movie, so I think the joke is that Calvin is too awful even for an event where poorly behaved children are an implicit feature.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
On the Discord, Doomykins suggested that the giant would be a normal-sized person using trickery. Nope!

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 09, 1940)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Cross-quoting:

Iron Crowned posted:

As someone who worked on the floor of a theater, it's a very simple explanation why you only had one complaint, it's a kid's movie. Kids movies exist so that mom can just throw them in the theater and have 1.5 hours in the dark not thinking about their kids.

You ever had to clean one of those theaters? gently caress man, kids running up and down the asiles even after the credits, popcorn and other poo poo (sometimes literal) everywhere. We always had to bust out the leaf-blowers just to get everything in one spot for easy cleanup.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Destroy History

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

ONLY TRUST YOUR FISTS
POLICE WILL NEVER HELP YOU

I knew I liked Modesty and Willie for a reason :allears:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

We can argue about whether it's 'jiff' or 'giff,' but it'll be a cold day in hell before I agree with 'gee-eye-eff.'

catlord posted:

Thanks! I've really been enjoying posting it too, it's been fun digging into my books for background and quotes.
Your posts are making me want to check out the books. Got a recommendation for a good starter?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Well, there we go. No one appears to know for sure if MT is going into permanent reruns or if they're going to do a new artist, but I suspect the former. Depending on what happens here, I may stop posting this. I think this might be the origin of Rusty though, so I'm going to give it a week or two.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

So this was the first in a long line of people just giving Rex valuable stuff.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think what I like most about Modesty Blaise is that while she and Willie are truly exceptional the folks they help are presented more as out of their element than stupid. There's a kindness and respect in how they interact with people, from what I've seen it only turns bitter when their skills are directly challenged. Similar stories I've read tend to have an almost-cruel (or sometimes actually cruel) vanity to the hero's skills, though for Sherlock Holmes that depends on who's interpreting the character, even the original stuff can be a bit all over the place.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 27, 2020

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
lol, there's absolutely no way JamesAllen can pretend this was a mutual departure if they're ending his run right at the beginning of a storyline just to go to Jackelrod reruns.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

So this was the first in a long line of people just giving Rex valuable stuff.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a serious comparison between comics where the characters constantly blunder in to good fortune like Rex Morgan or the older Judge Parker and ones where the characters just constantly get poo poo on like Ella Cinders.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:stare:"The ghost who believe in:biotruths:"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Alhazred posted:

:stare:"The ghost who believe in:biotruths:"

Dude is a cop, it's not surprising the rest of his personality is poo poo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ACE

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bruceski posted:

Similar stories I've read tend to have an almost-cruel (or sometimes actually cruel) vanity to the hero's skills, though for Sherlock Holmes that depends on who's interpreting the character, even the original stuff can be a bit all over the place.

For Holmes, it also depends on his opinion of his client. He's considerably more respectful toward, say, Violet Hunter than he is toward the King of Bohemia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!