Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

kimbo305 posted:

Today is New Jersey Day. Post those new jerseys.

I haven't gotten it yet but I ordered it nearly 4 months ago and it is now out for delivery, so I guess I can hopefully wear it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

FogHelmut posted:

They all provide size ranges and are adjustable. Measure your head.

They may provide size ranges, but a lot of manufacturers don't actually confort test their sizing/XXL sizes they just scale up and that doesn't work very well.

To the suggestions for align and Triton thank you I'll look into those!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Good Dog posted:

I haven't gotten it yet but I ordered it nearly 4 months ago and it is now out for delivery, so I guess I can hopefully wear it tomorrow.

:same:

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I'm happy with this new home for bicycling threads. It makes so much more sense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Still haven't ridden in it, but maybe this week

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

kimbo305 posted:

Still haven't ridden in it, but maybe this week

Where'd you get this jersey? I need one.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I've been trying to find a touring light with 2 hours of battery life that can do trails and make the while world bright. I have $150 max to spend.

Any recommendations? Priority order is battery life -> weight -> vanity.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

Where'd you get this jersey? I need one.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_d8G4KGP

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

I've been trying to find a touring light with 2 hours of battery life that can do trails and make the while world bright. I have $150 max to spend.

Any recommendations? Priority order is battery life -> weight -> vanity.

I don’t have this model but I’ve liked Cygolite’s stuff. High is 2 hours.

https://cygolite.com/product/ranger-1400-usb/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I don’t have this model but I’ve liked Cygolite’s stuff. High is 2 hours.

https://cygolite.com/product/ranger-1400-usb/

I have this model its real good

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I bought an old Nitto/Specialized stem on eBay that was 135mm even though I was kind of thinking, "Hmm... I really need a 120." The seller contacts me and tells me that oops he accidentally sold that stem to someone else, but he has an identical one in 120mm that he can send to me instead. :c00l:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Did you ask for an inconvenience discount?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

He offered it but I don't care. The mistake already works in my favor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rope kid posted:

He offered it but I don't care. The mistake already works in my favor.

[Everyone liked that.]

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Right before going on my day-off ride, I got called to cover a half shift for someone who's sick (food poisoning, not COVID). No problem, I thought, I can turn my long day into a pace day and probably be fine on time and exercise, I make extra money and everyone's happy.

One missed turn later suddenly I'm punishing myself to hold 20mph as long as possible to not miss the shift I promised to cover. Then 19 as long as I could, because 20 wasn't happening. Then 18, to 17, to 16. Then home.

Ending odometer knew how I felt:

Got a brutal workout in, made the shift, got a handful of thank you cash and some free beer. Pretty OK with it all in hindsight, but I'm still going to be glad once I'm no longer first call to cover starting next month.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

former glory posted:

It looks to be this exact system here:

Last mention of it is about the time the company disappeared: https://bikerumor.com/2015/08/21/williams-introduces-new-system-38-carbon-clincher-to-compliment-their-58-and-85mm-wheelsets/

Pictured on the bike itself:

I've already got the tool that lets me take off the cassette, so I'm wondering if I need any non-standard tool or adapter specific to the hub. I haven't used the cassette tool in a while, but I think it was like a bolt adapter that let me take a wrench to it to pop it off.

The cartridge bearings are going to be stuck in there with a tight interference fit. If you have a blind-hole bearing puller, that would be ideal. Otherwise you can improvise something to tap the bearings out very carefully.

As for pressing the bearings in, again you could probably improvise a bearing press, but having the correct drifts would be best...

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

kimbo305 posted:

Today is New Jersey Day. Post those new jerseys.
Did I post this yet? Notice the white hand tanned arm look.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I rode my bichael today.

I also rode a ferry :3:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Why didn't you ride on the ferry :colbert:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I rode my bichael today.

I also rode a ferry :3:

For some reason I've always wanted to ride to a ferry a cross. I don't know why. I was thinking of the one that crosses Lake Michigan.

Also, I was thinking about Strava's Local Legend and how you're gonna get the people riding the same segments over and over again and I had an idea for Strava. Introduce a new feature, similar to Local Legend, that counts the number of Flybys you get. So instead of mentally ill people riding the same stretch of road between two stop signs you get them riding in circles around other bike riders.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

moctopus posted:

For some reason I've always wanted to ride to a ferry a cross. I don't know why. I was thinking of the one that crosses Lake Michigan.

My wife and I took the Lake Express once. It's a gorgeous crossing. I strongly recommend it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

moctopus posted:

Also, I was thinking about Strava's Local Legend and how you're gonna get the people riding the same segments over and over again and I had an idea for Strava. Introduce a new feature, similar to Local Legend, that counts the number of Flybys you get. So instead of mentally ill people riding the same stretch of road between two stop signs you get them riding in circles around other bike riders.

Maybe encouraging riders to get close to other riders is not the best feature to pursue at this moment in time.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Maybe encouraging riders to get close to other riders is not the best feature to pursue at this moment in time.

It would be a terrible idea any time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

moctopus posted:

It would be a terrible idea any time.

Agreed. I was trying to be nice. The local legends feature is horrible enough.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

moctopus posted:

I take multiple ferries on about 50% of the rides I go on, and I've always been tempted to create a Strava segment for the ferry section to see which river pilot drives (boats?) the fastest. The S-bend they take varies based on the river current though so I don't think they'd all count as the same segment.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ortazel posted:

I take multiple ferries on about 50% of the rides I go on, and I've always been tempted to create a Strava segment for the ferry section to see which river pilot drives (boats?) the fastest. The S-bend they take varies based on the river current though so I don't think they'd all count as the same segment.

I'm insanely jealous of your combo ferry/bike trips

I just bike into the water, sink and come out the other side like Skinner in that one simpsons ep

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I'm insanely jealous of your combo ferry/bike trips

I just bike into the water, sink and come out the other side like Skinner in that one simpsons ep

A story in 3 pictures:

Not bad, you can see where the current catches

Points for consistency

...:what:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thinking about them triple cranks.

Going down to a 30 from my 34 on my double would probably lose me some of those nice middle gears. A 50-39-30 sounds good, but a 50-39-28 sounds even better. That would be a custom job probably and I don't know how that's going to screw with everything else that's connected to the chain.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bikes on ferries are great, skip the lines, always at the front of the boat and first to unload, and only a few bucks to ride. Highly recommend.

But I always pause my GPS because that'd be cheating to rack up ferry miles! So I just get straight warp lines between docks:

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

TobinHatesYou posted:

The cartridge bearings are going to be stuck in there with a tight interference fit. If you have a blind-hole bearing puller, that would be ideal. Otherwise you can improvise something to tap the bearings out very carefully.

As for pressing the bearings in, again you could probably improvise a bearing press, but having the correct drifts would be best...

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to source the tools and try it myself but I'll try my two LBS's first to see if they can hopefully do it. I've been hesitant to bring it in because I've been quoted 2+ weeks in the shop just to get the drivetrain tuned up because of the COVID rush.

mikemelbrooks posted:

Did I post this yet? Notice the white hand tanned arm look.

That's a really great jersey. :rznv:

re: bike creaking a little while back: I greased up the skewers and contact points and it seems to have fixed it. At least after 80km, so I think that was it.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm thinking about buying this bike. Tell me why I should or shouldn't! https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes-us/race-bikes/aeroad/aeroad-cf-sl-disc-8.0-di2/2875.html?dwvar_2875_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK&quantity=1

I've been riding my old road bike quite a bit for the last month and I intend to continue riding a lot because I'm enjoying it. I'm still a novice cyclist but I'll want to go on long group rides and shoot for a fast ironman in a year or two and I don't want to buy a separate TT bike, I just want one bike man (aside from my existing bike which I'll convert for family riding). Aero bars are available for the H36 cockpit but they are currently out of stock.

My coworker is telling me to look at this Specialized bike instead so I don't get the stinkeye at the local bike shop. I'm not totally convinced.

Edit: My coworker also said if he were dropping the money he would instead buy this $2200 bike and use Enve's wheel upgrade program to get some nicer wheels for an additional ~$2k. Seems crazy to me to downgrade to 105 groupset and alloy frame.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 28, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

A bike shop that's hostile to you for whatever bike you have isn't a shop I would want to go to.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm thinking about buying this bike. Tell me why I should or shouldn't! https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes-us/race-bikes/aeroad/aeroad-cf-sl-disc-8.0-di2/2875.html?dwvar_2875_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK&quantity=1

I've been riding my old road bike quite a bit for the last month and I intend to continue riding a lot because I'm enjoying it. I'm still a novice cyclist but I'll want to go on long group rides and shoot for a fast ironman in a year or two and I don't want to buy a separate TT bike, I just want one bike man (aside from my existing bike which I'll convert for family riding). Aero bars are available for the H36 cockpit but they are currently out of stock.

My coworker is telling me to look at this Specialized bike instead so I don't get the stinkeye at the local bike shop. I'm not totally convinced.

Edit: My coworker also said if he were dropping the money he would instead buy this $2200 bike and use Enve's wheel upgrade program to get some nicer wheels for an additional ~$2k. Seems crazy to me to downgrade to 105 groupset and alloy frame.

That canyon looks boring AF while the specialized at least has a couple cool paint jobs.
The spesh tarmac might be tricky to find in stock?

I have an allez sprint disc and like it a lot, but you might find it too stiff for an ironman, and agree that if you're doing that, you should buy frame-only and build up with the components you want, which won't end up being much cheaper.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

bicievino posted:

That canyon looks boring AF while the specialized at least has a couple cool paint jobs.
The spesh tarmac might be tricky to find in stock?

I have an allez sprint disc and like it a lot, but you might find it too stiff for an ironman, and agree that if you're doing that, you should buy frame-only and build up with the components you want, which won't end up being much cheaper.

I'm not hip to bike fashion, but I thought the black/black Canyon with deep section wheels was among the best looking bikes I've seen over the last few days. The two Specialized bikes don't look that great to me :shrug:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Some people have an enormous grudge against the color black (specifically with a matte finish). It's because black is very common.

Black tires, black wheels, black bibs, black jerseys, black saddles, black tape, and black shoes... Which is my set up. :(

Thank god I crashed and now own a red helmet.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm not hip to bike fashion, but I thought the black/black Canyon with deep section wheels was among the best looking bikes I've seen over the last few days. The two Specialized bikes don't look that great to me :shrug:

that canyon bike looks amazing

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hello bicycle friends, been a long while. Just saying hi, nice new thread, etc.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

I once rode my bike on a ferry that is technically classified as a part of California State Route 22. So maybe it doesn't actually count as a boat?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

Hello bicycle friends, been a long while. Just saying hi, nice new thread, etc.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Andy Dufresne posted:

Personally I find black bikes very basic and generic, but what other people think of your bike doesn't count for poo poo, just what you think of your bike.
Buy whatever looks cool and good to you, because you will definitely get more joy out of it if it looks cool and good to you and that's what bikes are all about.