Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Why? It was a mediocre movie and the main reason to see it was Peter Stormare's brief performance.

As far as comic movies go, it was quite good; I'd place it slightly under Blade, personally (which is above anything modern thats not MoS, Spiderverse, and Watchmen). I also liked it as an alternate take on the comics as a What If John was born in America, with the answer being, "he still makes crap deals and all his friends still die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tilda Swinton as well.

Rachel Weisz was good in it too and doesn't get mentioned enough when the movie is discussed . The cast overall is solid as hell. It's also a really pretty movie.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

teagone posted:

Keanu's Constantine is getting a lot of love on Twitter thanks to the film's recent comic con at home panel thing. Hope he can somehow figure out a way to make another one, and get Francis Lawrence to direct again. gently caress it, bring back Shia's character too; dude would kill it in the genre with how much better of an actor he's become. And if WB/DC really have balls, they'd fold Constantine into the current DC film continuity by adapting The Witching Hour, bringing Gal Gadot into the Constantine sequel as Wonder Woman.

there was a post credits scene in Constantine of Shias character rising as an angel that I missed when I saw it in the cinemas and caught on a re-watch years later, so bringing him back wouldn't be hard.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Grendels Dad posted:

Rachel Weisz was good in it too and doesn't get mentioned enough when the movie is discussed . The cast overall is solid as hell. It's also a really pretty movie.

I really liked Djimon Hounsou in it, too, and quote him from it all the time. "In my house?! You dare IN MY HOUSE?!"

I've never read the comic, so I have no attachment to the character of Constantine, but I really enjoyed the movie. I would have loved to have seen what happens when his tattoos connect, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

there was a post credits scene in Constantine of Shias character rising as an angel that I missed when I saw it in the cinemas and caught on a re-watch years later, so bringing him back wouldn't be hard.

I saw that movie around 5 times and never saw this.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Darko posted:

I saw that movie around 5 times and never saw this.

As someone who worked at a theater during the release, it was definitely there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVvyBseaXNw

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Cameo posted:

As someone who worked at a theater during the release, it was definitely there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVvyBseaXNw

Oh I believe you, I just didn't ever stick for the credits.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is that even how angels work?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like...in real life?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In the movie's universe, random people around you can be half-breed angels or demons. Shia's character might be one of the former.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

https://youtu.be/ZzmxUXvE3m4

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm not totally clear whether that scene is supposed to be Shia being reborn as an angel, or a reveal that he always was one, but either way I'm on board.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I’ve always figured that since he died fighting the Antichrist and doesn’t have the sin of suicide on his soul that he was pretty easily allowed into heaven and made an angel, especially given the vacancy once Gabriel was kicked out

Also Midnite reads him his rites in the elevator before they leave so that there’s no problems, I think it leans towards “he became one”, although I suppose the “huh” look Keanu gives in that scene as he’s walking away could be “huh, God’s been watching over me for a while if Chas is an angel, interesting”

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at, you could interpret Keanu's look as him figuring it out, and Shia's responding smile as him acknowledging that. But if, god willing, they actually made a sequel, I think they could go either way with it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

If they somehow got to make a sequel now, I doubt Shia would be in it. He's noticeably aged a bit, in a way that I doubt angels would, being immortal beings and all. Not a huge deal, but probably something they'd just leave be.

In that comic con video, they said they were shooting for a PG-13 rating because the studio told them to, so they had a list of things to not do, and about 10 minutes into their MPAA screening they were told the movie would be R due to "tone". Which pissed them off, because if the movie was going to be R, they would have gone all out and made it an R rated movie, dammit. They also said their original idea for a sequel was for Constantine to meet Jesus. So a true R rated sequel where Constantine meets Jesus. I imagine that would piss some people off.

I'd like that movie, please and thank you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

If they somehow got to make a sequel now, I doubt Shia would be in it. He's noticeably aged a bit, in a way that I doubt angels would, being immortal beings and all. Not a huge deal, but probably something they'd just leave be.

Somewhere, Tilda Swinton sits back with a smug little smile.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

You can justify the aging as being some heavenly bullshit or ignore it. The real problem with bringing back Shia LaBeouf as an angel is when he insists on getting real wings surgically attached to his back.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alhazred posted:

Why? It was a mediocre movie and the main reason to see it was Peter Stormare's brief performance.

Constantine is a good, solid movie. Also, I don't know if you know, but Keanu's become sort of a meme—unrelated to the older sad Keanu/immortal Keanu memes—among the younger demo. There's a subreddit dedicated to him being awesome (https://www.reddit.com/r/KeanuBeingAwesome/) that seems to get a lot of traffic these days; my guess is Keanu's resurgence in mainstream popularity because of the Wick films probably also has something to do with anything Keanu related being propped up as cool and good. Also, again, Constantine is easily one of the better comic book movies of the early 2000s.

thrawn527 posted:

Any version of a Constantine sequel would only benefit from having Chas Kramer come back with Shia reprising the character; dude's a great actor. And if we want to get pedantic about it, the Constantine movie wiki says Shia's character is a "half-breed angel" — from the film, half-breeds can die, so hand wave it that half-breeds can age or some poo poo too. It doesn't matter tbh.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Alhazred posted:

It was pretty good, actually. Poor Hellblazer adaptation possibly, but I don't really care about that so much.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Constantine is also fascinating for being aggressively anti-smoking in ways that are probably already incomprehensible for many people today.

Angel-edit: Well, maybe 'incomprehensible' isn't the right word.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

teagone posted:

Constantine is a good, solid movie. Also, I don't know if you know, but Keanu's become sort of a meme—unrelated to the older sad Keanu/immortal Keanu memes—among the younger demo. There's a subreddit dedicated to him being awesome (https://www.reddit.com/r/KeanuBeingAwesome/) that seems to get a lot of traffic these days; my guess is Keanu's resurgence in mainstream popularity because of the Wick films probably also has something to do with anything Keanu related being propped up as cool and good. Also, again, Constantine is easily one of the better comic book movies of the early 2000s.

Any version of a Constantine sequel would only benefit from having Chas Kramer come back with Shia reprising the character; dude's a great actor. And if we want to get pedantic about it, the Constantine movie wiki says Shia's character is a "half-breed angel" — from the film, half-breeds can die, so hand wave it that half-breeds can age or some poo poo too. It doesn't matter tbh.

You don't even have to explain it. It's a movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Constantine is also fascinating for being aggressively anti-smoking in ways that are probably already incomprehensible for many people today.

It draws heavily from Dangerous Habits, the story in which John learns that sixty Silk Cut a day has left him with late stage lung cancer. Unfortunately it also took out everything that made that story good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have never seen a bad Keanu Reaves movie. :c00lbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

teagone posted:

Constantine is a good, solid movie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sir Kodiak posted:

You can justify the aging as being some heavenly bullshit or ignore it. The real problem with bringing back Shia LaBeouf as an angel is when he insists on getting real wings surgically attached to his back.

I don't have much to add. I just wanted you to know that I appreciated this post.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You don't even have to explain it. It's a movie.

I really wasn't set on discussing the merits of the film itself in anything else but superficial terms tbh. I was touching more on why Keanu's Constantine was a trending topic on Twitter the other day, separate from whatever perception someone might have of the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

I really wasn't set on discussing the merits of the film itself in anything else but superficial terms tbh. I was touching more on why Keanu's Constantine was a trending topic on Twitter the other day, separate from whatever perception someone might have of the movie.

I think the "You don't need to explain it" thing was in response to my thing about Shia aging. And they're right.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh, whoops! :shobon:

I was confused because my entire post was quoted lol.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

How does an angel age?

Any drat way you want.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
All my knowledge of how angels work is from the heartwarming family sports drama, Angels in the Outfield (1994), which I've now declared canon. Any depiction of angels and angel related storytelling not adhering to its rules is hereafter considered blasphemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJqRDF7ord0&t=38s

May God show mercy on your eternal souls.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 27, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vintersorg posted:

I have never seen a bad Keanu Reaves movie. :c00lbert:

Bram Stoker's Dracula, you're welcome.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man you could put that movie on mute and it's loving amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's good gaudy and bad gaudy. That movie is bad gaudy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

There's good gaudy and bad gaudy. That movie is bad gaudy.

Two sentences, two wrong statements.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hoping this is true!

https://twitter.com/manabyte/status/1287875910540988417?s=21

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

*googles Kate Bishop*

Oh... good?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grendels Dad posted:

*googles Kate Bishop*

Oh... good?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Mulva posted:

Man you could put that movie on mute and it's loving amazing.

I think it's good with sound to! Reeves is not good in it since the accent is a huge distraction every time he talks but the visuals and all around genuine weirdness make it really unique in a good way.

Also, I grabbed the reprint of the comic adaptation of the movie with art by Mike Mignola last year and it's a strong recommend.

I mean look at this:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Grendels Dad posted:

*googles Kate Bishop*

Oh... good?

Kate is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know who Kate Bishop is but like only as the rich socialite who joined the Young Avengers so I totally don't know whatever her character evolved into that makes her a fan favorite.

I also only know of Hailee Stanfield from Into the Spiderverse so like if I crossed her in the street I'd have no idea who she was.

But hey, I'm game. I'm gonna watch an Eternals movie.