Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Can’t remember who it was earlier in the thead that said, if they can even get easy stuff like the panels and paint right why would you trust them with making the car safe ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
move fast and break spines

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fw0OvKFKhw

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Ablative passenger seat

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

psiox posted:

move fast and break spines

love the caaaaargh :corsair:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/PAturnpikefan/status/1287820448386953216

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the funny thing is he's not even married to grimes (i don't think? you never know with this guy)

but he did lose his first and second and second wives yep

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Children: X Æ A-Xii, Nevada Alexander Musk, Kai Musk, Damian Musk, Griffin Musk, Xavier Musk, Saxon Musk

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

makes you think

https://twitter.com/vegans4yang/status/1286734805225205762?s=20

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

computer show me the most cursed twitter handle

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if u think about it why arent youre children generating power? u can send me my check now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why the gently caress are people so obsessed with solar roadways?

just install an 80 foot wide strip of solar panels on the useless dirt along the highway and hey presto, you've created exactly as much power as the absolute optimum case for solar roads of equivalent length but at 1/100 the price (and that's generous) and with no engineering problems or maintenance questions.

it's so mind-numbingly dumb that i can't even grasp the broken logic they're using to make it seem like a good idea

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

why the gently caress are people so obsessed with solar roadways?

just install an 80 foot wide strip of solar panels on the useless dirt along the highway and hey presto, you've created exactly as much power as the absolute optimum case for solar roads of equivalent length but at 1/100 the price (and that's generous) and with no engineering problems or maintenance questions.

it's so mind-numbingly dumb that i can't even grasp the broken logic they're using to make it seem like a good idea
literally the worst place you can put solar panels (outside of, like, a cave) is the surface of a road

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"we can just install the panels next time we do regular road maintenance, it's basically free"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol forever at the solar road morons

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

solar FREAKIN roadways!!!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

jesus WEP posted:

computer show me the most cursed twitter handle

elon musk?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol forever at the solar road morons

like literally every single argument they have makes no sense when you think about it for 10 seconds.

"oh well we can use the solar power to heat the roadways and save money on plowing!"
okay but just a regular black asphalt road already converts 100% of incident sunlight into thermal energy. even if you wasted all the electricity you were generating it would still be beaten in efficiency by a layer of tar.

"they will be ideal for places where the city is too dense to install solar farms, like manhattan!"
right, because installing solar cells at the bottom of an urban canyon is super efficient, even before you account for the gridlocked traffic parked on top of them 20 hours a day. no way would putting the cells on top of a skyscraper be a better idea

"we can add digital signage and illumination into the road surface itself!"
even if you wanted to do that, it's still better by every metric to just embed LEDs and a power cable into the road and put the solar panels on a post beside it.

"putting solar panels in the road gives a dual purpose to the road instead of having to use valuable land building massive solar farms!"
right, like all that tremendously valuable real estate in the high deserts of nevada, wouldn't want to cover it up with solar panels in case someday someone wants to build a tiny isolated mcmansion block in the middle of nowhere

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If asphalt converted 100% of light into thermal energy we'd be unable to see them under any conditions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

If asphalt converted 100% of light into thermal energy we'd be unable to see them under any conditions.

wish your posts would convert all incident light into heat.

just kidding, you honestly don't deserve that burn.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I thought I remember seeing some thermo-electric power generation proposals a few years ago instead of using solar panels

whatever happened to that? seems better than driving on solar panels to me

e: first google result I could find https://www.researchgate.net/publication/224688920_Thermoelectric_Generators_using_Solar_Thermal_Energy_in_Heated_Road_Pavement

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Midjack posted:

wish your posts would convert all incident light into heat.

just kidding, you honestly don't deserve that burn.

Just lol if you don't already understand I live in a tiny apartment with heavy curtains to ensure I never have to see daylight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

oh i'm fairly sure i could see a black void next to something that was not a black void.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the thing that really gets me is these people must think that public roads are just clean spotless surfaces that never get dirty or crack or crumble in any way when heavy poo poo constantly drives over them

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

these people must think

:hmmyes:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that’s why the thermal method appeals to me you “just” need to put tubes underneath/in the asphalt rather than having to totally rethink the road surface material

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

or just, like, put solar panels over the roadway like those costco parking shelters, since you already have infinite budget to blanket the total area of all roads in solar panels and deal with transmission and maintenance of solar farms spread out on thin strips over 100,000 miles.

The road stays shady and cool and you don't have rain and snow falling on it. :)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the thing that really gets me is these people must think that public roads are just clean spotless surfaces that never get dirty or crack or crumble in any way when heavy poo poo constantly drives over them

have they ever left their houses?

because we have some poo poo roads here in britain and I am still horrified by the state of american roads any time I visit

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

musk made a tweet trying to dunk on das kapital

this made "das kapital" start trending on twitter

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
love das karpital tho

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

seize the means of speed reduction

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1287559533955633152

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

like literally every single argument they have makes no sense when you think about it for 10 seconds.

"oh well we can use the solar power to heat the roadways and save money on plowing!"
okay but just a regular black asphalt road already converts 100% of incident sunlight into thermal energy. even if you wasted all the electricity you were generating it would still be beaten in efficiency by a layer of tar.

"they will be ideal for places where the city is too dense to install solar farms, like manhattan!"
right, because installing solar cells at the bottom of an urban canyon is super efficient, even before you account for the gridlocked traffic parked on top of them 20 hours a day. no way would putting the cells on top of a skyscraper be a better idea

"we can add digital signage and illumination into the road surface itself!"
even if you wanted to do that, it's still better by every metric to just embed LEDs and a power cable into the road and put the solar panels on a post beside it.

"putting solar panels in the road gives a dual purpose to the road instead of having to use valuable land building massive solar farms!"
right, like all that tremendously valuable real estate in the high deserts of nevada, wouldn't want to cover it up with solar panels in case someday someone wants to build a tiny isolated mcmansion block in the middle of nowhere

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Actually I think you'll find that the high desert is, like, strikingly beautiful as-is?

Literally replace interstate medians with photo-tropics though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

holy poo poo, a rear-ending did that to the front seat

literal deathtrap

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't they do like, crash testing?

Did this car even pass Euro NCAP?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

spankmeister posted:

Don't they do like, crash testing?

Did this car even pass Euro NCAP?

every tesla on the road is a crash test, some just havent gotten results yet

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The Y was the one with the extra seats in the boot space, right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TheDarkFlame posted:

The Y was the one with the extra seats in the boot space, right?

yes. the occupants would be chum and bone meal following that collision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the reason some people wont let the solar roadway thing go is because they're trying to justify building more roads for more cars so they can live in a nice suburb that's close to the Good Schools if you know what i mean.