Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

absolutely zero reasons to ever play Shenmue when you can just play Yakuza/Judgment/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why does every explanatory video that gets linked be about 5x longer than it has to be and wastes so much of that time on misunderstanding irrelevant details

majority of youtubers have no actual critical capacity and just exist in this floating ether of algorithm-based content, dont worry too much about it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it used to be that the algorithm favored length of interaction, so a longer video was recommended more. now that's not the case and people don't actually know how the algorithm works

once you've hopped on the long vid train because of algorithm, your fanbase expects that style of content and now you're trapped in a 45 minute+ video hell

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue 3 owned. It’s a third Shenmue game, with all that entails. Fans got what they wanted, others need not apply.

The fighting sucks in 3 but everything else is pretty much spot on.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

absolutely zero reasons to ever play Shenmue when you can just play Yakuza/Judgment/etc

They’re pretty significantly different types of games.

Anyway in fighting game news, we’ll be getting SF V news on the 5th. I’m one of four people who like that game, some I’m excited for more characters.

Having displayed my love for both a Shenmue and SF V in the fighting game thread, I will now see myself out. Farewell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

man nurse posted:

Anyway in fighting game news, we’ll be getting SF V news on the 5th. I’m one of four people who like that game, some I’m excited for more characters.

Having displayed my love for both a Shenmue and SF V in the fighting game thread, I will now see myself out. Farewell.

Is capcom not a part of this weekend's announcement carousel?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're there but I think the roundtable thing came about at extremely short notice and so they're not going to shift whatever plans they already had.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

Shenmue 3 owned. It’s a third Shenmue game, with all that entails. Fans got what they wanted, others need not apply.

The fighting sucks in 3 but everything else is pretty much spot on.

The main bad guy shows up at the very end, kicks ur rear end, then peaces out. lmao.

Forget about the lovely fighting and money grind. Shenmue 3 could never have happened and it would make no difference to the overall story.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

Killer Instinct is all of these things, doesn't have 1000 dollars in cosmetics, and the single-player story is also free.

Only thing wrong with KI's method IMO is that you can't lab a character you don't own, but it is possible to try them out before you buy, either by waiting for when they become available during a free week or recruiting them during the singleplayer story and trying them out that way.

Like everyone, I completely forgot about KI.

I know when it started its F2P saga you could only play as one character, has this been changed?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Killer Instinct, I believe, has always had a free character rotation. You just also get Jago for free, permanently. If you're a Jago player, you're good to go lol.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

But where are my saucy bikinis, maid and schoolgirl outfits for Jago? :argh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rambling videos are cool when its just like, heres my thoughts on a thing, not when those rambly videos are meant to be like serious critique

like i like the snakerer's playing __ series even though they're all like an hour long each cause its just him bullshitting about a game and talking about his thoughts on design and stuff as they come up, its not really essay style

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah everybody tryna be fuckin' Prestige Youtube

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like long videos

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I like long videos

Me too

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

man nurse posted:

i just want rolento

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mode 7 posted:

Any Team Street Fighter in KOF15 should 100% include Dan.

It has to be Guile, Akuma and Fei Long because it will be their second appearance in KoF and we can get an explanation for how they survived being canonically murdered and their corpses encased in stone* for display by Rugal just prior to KoF '94.

Dan would still have to be in of course, but on a team with Yuri and Robert obviously. (Ryo/Takuma/King can be the other AoF team).

EDIT:
*They're not sculpted statues, he turns the people he's killed into statues, but still specifically does so with stone instead of having them bronzed or whatever lol

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 28, 2020

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i see Jeffery of YOSPOS is a man of culture i see :smug:

NOTE: This Something Awful forums user (previously known as "The Blackest Goon") is a Person of Color who chose the current iteration of his username ironically after years of having his remaining brain cells all but fried after monitoring the rise of online reactionary ideologies for a decade.

if this sounds like a flimsy excuse, you are wrong

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
if its longer people think it has more value. i have to assume the same delusion is what made people keep playing dbfz

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Jeffrey actually participated in a high stakes 1 on 1 street fighter challenge six years back on these forums. Sadly the video is lost forever.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
First half of shenmue 3 was very good. Besides the combat downgrade and food nonsense basically exactly what I could’ve wanted out of a new Shenmue. The next quarter was less good but I was still into it. The last quarter or so? Goddamn, poo poo fell right off a cliff.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Why would anyone play Shenmue when Yakuza exists now?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Why would anyone play Shenmue when Yakuza exists now?

Yakuza owns but is also a lot less boring. I mean boring in a good way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shenmue is the spiritual originator of games like Gone Home and Papers, Please, not Yakuza. It recreates a very certain time and place by celebrating the mundane.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is this video a reasonable depiction of Shenmue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SVY9CyBBc

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Shenmue is the spiritual originator of games like Gone Home and Papers, Please, not Yakuza. It recreates a very certain time and place by celebrating the mundane.

exactly

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

exquisite tea posted:

Surely you mean Quantum Dream's visionary founder David Cage's first magnum opus Omikron: The Nomad Soul?

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

the death of fg literature in favor of youtube is truly unfortunate in the sense that it shouldn't take someone ten minutes to tell someone that pressing low strong is good. the majority of useful fg knowledge is much more efficiently conveyed in writing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bad metaphors posted:

the death of fg literature in favor of youtube is truly unfortunate in the sense that it shouldn't take someone ten minutes to tell someone that pressing low strong is good. the majority of useful fg knowledge is much more efficiently conveyed in writing

tbf you can convey that in 30 seconds in video form, with visual evidence to support that point, but Algorithm

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

bad metaphors posted:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

tbf you can convey that in 30 seconds in video form, with visual evidence to support that point, but Algorithm

Video can be useful, brief and to the point, but it's also really hard to quickly go back and check multiple things at once, for instance, and being concise in video is hard as balls - it requires editing and scripting effort.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

exquisite tea posted:

Yu Suzuki is the David Cage of Japan

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mango sentinel posted:

Yu Suzuki is the David Cage of Japan

yu suzuki has made good games

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

there has never been a good david cage game

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

That is an enormously generous reading of that game. More accurately: Shenmue is a game made by someone who doesn't know what the conventions of games are...for better or worse.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Smoking Crow posted:

there has never been a good david cage game

As a fan of very bad things with very big budgets I love Detroit

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I loved shenmue 2 to death and kickstarted shenmue 3, I like it enough but the combat is loving inexcusably bad compared to the two previous games and the super eyepatch wolf video is pretty okay imo

Also play KoFXIII it's a good game

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

are there forklift races

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hobojim posted:

Also play KoFXIII it's a good game

I just tried it. Report: It plays a lot like KoF XIV (shocking development) without the auto-super and another meter whose function is a mystery to me. Graphically it looks a helluva lot better. Preliminary judgement: A Good Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

are there forklift races

No races but there is a forklifting job. It’s the same small area each time though which sucks