Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wired has more details on how it actually works and uh

quote:

The idea was to use prior patterns to infer what a student would have scored in a 2020 not dominated by a deadly pandemic. IB did not disclose details of the methodology but said grades would be calculated based on a student’s assignment scores, predicted grades, and historical IB results from their school. The foundation said grade boundaries were set to reflect the challenges of remote learning during a pandemic. For schools where historical data was lacking, predictions would build on data pooled from other schools instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'd say people should sue, but that requires a judge with a reasonable understanding of machine learning, and wow is that a bad bet.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think "it's assigning you grades not based on your own grade, but on what other people have gotten as grades in the past" is fairly easy to understand!

and in any case discovery should turn up the model they use and how they calibrated it, which would be uh really interesting

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There actually is some work on predicting scores for parts of a candidate's bar exam if they get lost. See https://thebarexaminer.org/wp-content/uploads/PDFs/780309_Mroch.pdf for discussion. My guess is that whatever the IB committee did is less thoughtful.

I can't find it now, but I remember at some point reading a complaint from a candidate who completely lost their poo poo when their score on a part of an exam was predicted and they failed. It had every combination of bold, underline and italics that there is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think "it's assigning you grades not based on your own grade, but on what other people have gotten as grades in the past" is fairly easy to understand!

and in any case discovery should turn up the model they use and how they calibrated it, which would be uh really interesting

or they immediately settle and give everyone the equivalent of As to moot the case to avoid discovery

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

that paper is p thoughtful, yeah, thanks. it's just using OLS but honest about it. they're really helped by the fact that the bar is P/F, and using a decision rule like "just pass them if we predict there's a 10% chance they would have passed" is sensible. predicting a score along a continuum is a lot harder, and the way that IB just outright used demographics, whew.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJzmCUvLNrI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its so incredibly shameful that the software is caled waifu

animist
Aug 28, 2018

fart simpson posted:

andrew ng came to my office in shenzhen for a meeting and i saw him and he looked at me

few years back i went to an andrew ng talk about "the future of ml". he said that current machine learning can do anything a human can do in less than two seconds. so, checking a license, reacting to a curve in a road, reading a bit of text; he said all that can be automated in the next 10 years. (he was lying through his teeth, but whatever.)

during the q&a i asked what was gonna happen to all the people whose jobs involve lots of short repetitive tasks. he said, well, we're creating a lot of jobs in the machine learning space.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are several million long distance truckers in the US, and they collectively have a lot of guns and meth. Do we really want to make them unemployable?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea that sure sounds scary but on the other hand, every other industry also had guns and drugs & yet they still became unemployed

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
did he at least look ashamed when he said that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/isosteph/status/1287617727943720961

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:goofy:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

"im not an algorithm! im not an algorithm!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a multilayer perceptron

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/themarkup/status/1286270083791118336

https://twitter.com/JuliaAngwin/status/1287795930578722817

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jfc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

amazing

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I developed a pathon machine learning discord bot that can detect anime avatars with a decent success rate. It then gives me a list of people i can ban

So far its working out

e: i needed an nvidia library for that and I had to agree to not use it to develop softeare to be used for evil and bullying people

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 28, 2020

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/tenuous/status/1288174286042288133

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hooooly gently caress, even for the abysmal standards or acceptability in machine learning startups that is a horrible idea

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hm

(btw i assume everyone in yospos is worldly enough to know this, but just in case, don't put your real name in there)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Might need a bigger training set, or a different algorithm, or a fundamental rethinking.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Like, ok: so let's play arguendo. Set aside the fact it doesn't seem to loving work (assume that could be fixed): what's the value proposition? What is the path to revenue here?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

quote:

Genderify primarily focuses on the B2B business model, and our approach for classifying names, usernames, or emails as male or female is free of any gender discrimination

quote:

And though in many cultures, gender may generally be viewed as binary, recognizing genders mostly as male and female, there are many more gender identities people use to define themselves and express their gender. As our AI model’s decisions are based on already existing binary name/gender databases, our Product team is actively looking into ways of improving the experience for transgender and non-binary visitors. For example, the team is working on separating the concepts of name/username/email from gender identity. In that sense, we are pioneers in developing new approaches to provide non-binary results, and we do very much rely on community feedback to make it work. Through a special feedback system, we are going to improve our gender detection algorithms for the LGBTQ+ community to make sure we can break the old school bias association between name to gender.

Dunno

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

What is the path to revenue here?

Step 1: Machine Learning
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Might need a bigger training set, or a different algorithm, or a fundamental rethinking.

this is one where no amount of technology, thinking, and ethical awareness fixes the fundamental problem: hearing someones name and having a guess at their gender is socially unacceptable, and recognizably so even without any kind of modern awareness of the issues.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Like, if someone's name is listed as "Alex Smith" then maybe just, like, call them "Alex"? I'm legit confused in what context algorithmicly figuring out whether "Mr" or "Ms" Smith is more accurate beats just calling them "Alex"?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Like, if someone's name is listed as "Alex Smith" then maybe just, like, call them "Alex"? I'm legit confused in what context algorithmicly figuring out whether "Mr" or "Ms" Smith is more accurate beats just calling them "Alex"?

presumably its just to pick what kind of ads to send them so the stakes are relatively low

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

big johnny cash energy

Schadenboner posted:

it’s so you can decide to serve them ads for pink razors or gray razors.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

presumably its just to pick what kind of ads to send them so the stakes are relatively low

Like, I don't "do" marketing or ad-tech or whatever and I have uBlock Origin and PiHole so I don't interact with a lot of ads but It seems like using prior browsing habits might be a smarter way to drive engagement?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

big johnny cash energy

it’s so you can decide to serve them ads for pink razors or gray razors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cYPEkpwi-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtcE52LKgk

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It's in front of an aircraft carrier. Because: of course?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf "the team is working on separating the concepts of name/username/email from gender identity"

youre the ones putting a gender identity on my email in the first place!!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

hm

(btw i assume everyone in yospos is worldly enough to know this, but just in case, don't put your real name in there)

gently caress too late oh well

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

wtf "the team is working on separating the concepts of name/username/email from gender identity"

youre the ones putting a gender identity on my email in the first place!!!

i suspect they mean “separate” in the same way you do when you talk about distillation - extracting something useful from an aggregate.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

every site that sells ads has been doing this forever, like we had a proof of concept when I worked at evite 20 years ago. it wasn’t :sparkles: MaChInE LeArNiNg :sparkles: but it also didn’t think susan was a male name

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

how would any of us even remember to loving breathe without the gentle guiding intellect of america's smartest boy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

how would any of us even remember to loving breathe without the gentle guiding intellect of america's smartest boy

always happy to help, carry on then :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

I suspect that was trained on a very unbalanced data set, as it's trivial to find simple, common words that spit out 99+% chance of being male, but "magenta" was the highest I got for female in my random samplings, and that was still just 95%.

It has no conception of order being relevant to names, and will declare "Jennifer Douglas" and "Douglas Jennifer" are both 58% male / 42% female. Douglas wins that because "Douglas" alone is 99.1% likely to be male, but "Jennifer" is 98.1% likely to be female.