Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

immunity is lost in weeks anyway.

is there any actual evidence of this? afaik it's typical that the active antibodies eventually decrease, but there's some studies on T-cell memory which seem to suggest a normal response there, which would indicate a strong future immune response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's more shades of gray than that though. Studies do show that it's likely that you do get a decent immunity period, but also covid ages your pulmonary system ten years each time you get it. So the chance for you to get rekt by a respiratory infection or the flu or pneumonia probably go WAY up if you've had it. those deaths of course will not be counted as covid deaths, but some of them definitely are.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chmods please posted:

is there any actual evidence of this? afaik it's typical that the active antibodies eventually decrease, but there's some studies on T-cell memory which seem to suggest a normal response there, which would indicate a strong future immune response

there are a couple of people whose test results may indicate they have been reinfected. there are no reputable studies that have conclusively proved immunity is short-lived among the general population

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i thought there was some recent evidence sars has long lasting immunity

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Specifically targeted antibodies decline (normal) but t cell memory seems to persist so some bad reporting on the former gave the impression that there’s no retained immunity.

Most of the reinfection reports aren’t particularly clear whether it’s reinfection or the same detection with an intermediate false neg or initial false pos.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

while this is stuff that is clearly in the category of things we don't *know*, obviously immunity is at least 6 months or you'd have to come up with some very surprising explanation of the steep dropoff of hospitalizations and lack of demonstrated reinfections in europe

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

PCjr sidecar posted:

Specifically targeted antibodies decline (normal) but t cell memory seems to persist so some bad reporting on the former gave the impression that there’s no retained immunity.

Most of the reinfection reports aren’t particularly clear whether it’s reinfection or the same detection with an intermediate false neg or initial false pos.

it's almost guaranteed that this is the case given the false negative rate for pcr tests and how dependent they are on the quality of the test application

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

while this is stuff that is clearly in the category of things we don't *know*, obviously immunity is at least 6 months or you'd have to come up with some very surprising explanation of the steep dropoff of hospitalizations and lack of demonstrated reinfections in europe

tbh this is what i keep coming back to

like if there wasn't something protecting folks who have recovered we'd definitely have seen or currently see a wave of reinfections even considering how successfully some countries have squashed their daily case level

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

it's more shades of gray than that though. Studies do show that it's likely that you do get a decent immunity period, but also covid ages your pulmonary system ten years each time you get it. So the chance for you to get rekt by a respiratory infection or the flu or pneumonia probably go WAY up if you've had it. those deaths of course will not be counted as covid deaths, but some of them definitely are.

yeah that's something to consider too. I was thinking more in terms of how rapidly it'll continue to spread, obviously long-term effects are a different but important category

haveblue posted:

there are a couple of people whose test results may indicate they have been reinfected. there are no reputable studies that have conclusively proved immunity is short-lived among the general population

i would figure with millions of people infected there's going to be some crazy outliers whether that's false negatives or genuine reinfection. mega agreed that the lack of increased infection rate in countries that got it under control is hard to explain if reinfections are common

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

but also covid ages your pulmonary system ten years each time you get it.

that is not a thing

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ok its called a respiratory system but I think you got the point of the post. stop trying to fishmech.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

it's not exclusively a respiratory virus

it can certainly affect the respiratory system but it presents with a ton of different symptoms and affects a whole bunch of other systems

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what was already known about coronavirus in general is that immunity to them is screwy and not well understood

my understanding is that this is a major obstacle to developing a vaccine, why we didn't already have one ready to go etc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, I'm not sure China is exactly a great model to follow here?

idk i feel physically safer from coronavirus than you do i bet

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

something like 20% of people polled said they won't be getting the vaccine even when it's available.

americans love vaccines until they're available

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i actually wonder if any of the anti vaxxers will come around if they see a covid vaccine virtually eliminate a disease from the population, with their own eyes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fart simpson posted:

i actually wonder if any of the anti vaxxers will come around if they see a covid vaccine virtually eliminate a disease from the population, with their own eyes

they didn't believe it with measles, so don't hold your breath

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the way i think china will do it is like, they won't require you be vaccinated but your office, your apartment complex, restaurants, shopping malls, etc will all ask to see proof of vaccination before they let you into the building

america should try something like that imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we’re getting there, Walmart and Kroger and a couple of other major retailers have made masks required

course in China you don’t have the problem that if you kick someone out of the store they might come back and shoot you

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

haveblue posted:

we’re getting there, Walmart and Kroger and a couple of other major retailers have made masks required

course in China you don’t have the problem that if you kick someone out of the store they might come back and shoot you

Walmart had to walk that back because their customer base proved too unruly lmao. they still have the policy but they're specifically not enforcing it because they don't want unstable customers starting fights

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
i got put on the spot by my boss today about how this thing works in my project that hasn't been touched in 3 months because of blockers that just now got sorted out. I didn't remember the exact answer off hand nor could I find an immediate explanation in my notes.

i feel stupid

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Methanar posted:

i got put on the spot by my boss today about how this thing works in my project that hasn't been touched in 3 months because of blockers that just now got sorted out. I didn't remember the exact answer off hand nor could I find an immediate explanation in my notes.

i feel stupid

Just say "I haven't looked at this in 3 months, I need to go refresh my memory"

don't let your idiot boss make you feel stupid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

yeah in china, if you kick someone out, you down rank their weibo account ruining their credit, getting them evicted and unable to buy any goods at all, and very possibly disappeared to be chained to an iphone factory for life

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Endless Mike posted:

yeah in china, if you kick someone out, you down rank their weibo account ruining their credit, getting them evicted and unable to buy any goods at all, and very possibly disappeared to be chained to an iphone factory for life

thats mostly not true. in practice the social credit score thats actually rolled out country wide mostly just lets you skip paying a deposit when you sign up for some stuff, and idk maybe better interest rates on loans or something. the stories of people getting shamed at movie theaters and not allowed to buy train tickets are regional pilot programs. china does a lot of small regional experimentation with government programs, and then expands those when they prove successful. maybe that stuff will roll out nationwide but so far it hasnt really

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's only a pilot program that hasn't yet been rolled out nationwide, therefore you shouldn't make fun of how dystopian and oppressive it is.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jabor posted:

It's only a pilot program that hasn't yet been rolled out nationwide, therefore you shouldn't make fun of dystopian and oppressive it is.

correct

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

burning swine posted:

Just say "I haven't looked at this in 3 months, I need to go refresh my memory"

don't let your idiot boss make you feel stupid

too late

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
annual reviews should happen some time in the next 2 weeks and its going to suck.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
nothing makes me happy anymore

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

talk to a therapist, fried

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fart simpson posted:

the way i think china will do it is like, they won't require you be vaccinated but your office, your apartment complex, restaurants, shopping malls, etc will all ask to see proof of vaccination before they let you into the building

if america tried that it would only be required for black people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kinda like how america currently only has concentration camps in a few regional pilot programs so it's not problematic.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

kinda like how america currently only has concentration camps in a few regional pilot programs so it's not problematic.

another area where china is out innovating america

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fart simpson posted:

so it just needs to be incorporated into the credit score

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
not sure how long i can keep putting off phone calls from this lady at work

without fail she begs me to stay on the phone until her solution works, sometimes when she hasn't even coded 3/4 of it yet

she has already complained to the boss twice that I'm ignoring her

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

just rewatched ds9 and holy lol were the bell riots episodes interesting to see

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Around when I started teaching I went to a seminar about working with students with emotional difficulties. Of course if they have real serious issues there are professional resources for that, so this was more for everyday stuff like students who are panicking about a test, students who are constantly asking you if they're doing the right thing, etc.

For the student who monopolizes your time and continuously calls you back to show them how to do the next step and the next step and the next step, never taking the initiative, you just gotta basically say "you've got this! You have everything you need, now just work at it and I'm not going to come back until you're at step x. You can do it."

At the university we all understand this phenomenon, so when a student (rarely) escalates to the dean saying "so-and-so professor isn't helping me enough" we present a united front. Maybe talk to your boss about this woman's behavior so that he/she can respond appropriately.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

psiox posted:

the only thing they got wrong is the "sanctuary zones" being in the middle of cities, they will 100% be the same kind of privately operated tent concentration camps we're currently putting refugees in but stuck out near stockton or fairfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

psiox posted:

yeah im doing a rewatch right now and between those and where i am now with the dominion and cardassia (gul dukat: "make cardassia strong again") is a real :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_SB6j3vPcw