Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Hobojim posted:

Also play KoFXIII it's a good game

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

I just tried it. Report: It plays a lot like KoF XIV (shocking development) without the auto-super and another meter whose function is a mystery to me. Graphically it looks a helluva lot better. Preliminary judgement: A Good Game

The green bar is your "drive meter" and is used to cancel specials into other specials. If it's full, you get two cancels, as each one takes half of the bar. If it fills completely, you can press B+C together to enter HD mode, where you glow with a weird sepia blurry shadow and can cancel specials into other specials many times as it runs down, allowing for some ridiculous combos. It also makes any normal cancellable for the duration. Think XIV max mode in purpose; spend a resource to do an extended combo, but these combos are longer than max mode combos, do more damage, and use a different resource that takes longer to fill then meter in XIV.

Side note, I played someone on their stream (they asked if I wanted to play I didn't just jump in and throw down a challenge) and they ducked out after five games and talked about being bad at all fighting games and they don't like any of them anymore and it made me feel bad. :(

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shenmue and Yakuza are both good but they're extremely different feels for me and comparing them has always felt completely off the mark for me.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's incredible that Shenmue 3 exists, and even more incredible that it didn't include anything resembling an ending.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i've never played shenmue, but i appreciate the steel balls required to make the third entry of your series after over a decade of waiting, and still being like, "i want this to be a 7 part story, and it's staying that way" and having no epilogue

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Marin Karin posted:

i've never played shenmue, but i appreciate the steel balls required to make the third entry of your series after over a decade of waiting, and still being like, "i want this to be a 7 part story, and it's staying that way" and having no epilogue

i respect that part, but every other aspect of shenmue looks like an exercise in misery

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat 1+2 but couldnt stand 3

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Marin Karin posted:

This’ll sound weird, but as a fan, I’m glad he’s sticking to his original vision and not just rushing to end the story prematurely. I wanted Shenmue 3. I got it. I’m prepared to maybe or maybe not see the story continue from there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a seven part story and part 3 is explicitly skippable filler is not really commitment to a vision so much as bad pacing.

Also Shenmue isn't a fighting game because it only has versus AI.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Barudak posted:

Its a seven part story and part 3 is explicitly skippable filler is not really commitment to a vision so much as bad pacing.

Also Shenmue isn't a fighting game because it only has versus AI.

wasnt it supposed to be a VF RPG at some point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wasnt it supposed to be a VF RPG at some point

Maybe, but there is a separate loving miserably awful PS2 Virtua Fighter RPG that it sometimes feels like Im the only person who remembers it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

remember vf kids

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Maybe, but there is a separate loving miserably awful PS2 Virtua Fighter RPG that it sometimes feels like Im the only person who remembers it

You mean the quest mode in VF4 Evo?

I always meant to try the SamSho RPG even if it didn't look great..

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

It's Virtua Quest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILata-JkFKE

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

virtua quest is an isekai

vf truly is at the forefront of trends

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Edit: never mind I think I already said this once before

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:woop: Fight Crab finally released on Steam.

I think I just broke the first rule of Fight Crab though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Giving up everything to become a professional Sonic Smackdown player

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gonna also post this in the other FGC thread as well,

Since EVO is kaput, what's still happening this weekend? AnimEVO still going on?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's some kind of round table where a bunch of japanese fighting game companies are gonna show the trailers they'd have shown at Evo and likely say things indicating they don't get that whole rollback thing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jiro posted:

Gonna also post this in the other FGC thread as well,

Since EVO is kaput, what's still happening this weekend? AnimEVO still going on?

AnimEVO is still happening except spread out among the other non-EVO weekends in August

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’m glad AnimeEvo is rebranding to avoid the negative stigma. They’ll now be called AirdashingEvo.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 29, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m glad AnimeEvo is rebranding to avoid the negative stigma. They’ll now be called AirdashingEvo.

lool

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Chev posted:

There's some kind of round table where a bunch of japanese fighting game companies are gonna show the trailers they'd have shown at Evo and likely say things indicating they don't get that whole rollback thing.

arika is going to be there, so they'll have a hearty lol at harada

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

l

Hobojim posted:

Side note, I played someone on their stream (they asked if I wanted to play I didn't just jump in and throw down a challenge) and they ducked out after five games and talked about being bad at all fighting games and they don't like any of them anymore and it made me feel bad. :(

tbf fighting games aren't for everyone, really, no genre is. On the other hand I kinda get where he's coming from; I'm glad I branched out from Skullgirls cuz I would just get 100-0'ed within the first like 10 seconds of a match and not get a hit in edgewise because of basically-infinite juggles. I guess there's an anti-infinite system in SG but I don't know how it works and if I hadn't also bought Mortal Kombat at basically the same time and tried that, I would've given up. It's really rough playing these more niche games where most of the remaining players are really dedicated and even if they're not good per se, they're certainly better than someone who's just picked the genere up for the first time.

Even now I still get kinda frustrated; I'm on the last trial with Maxima and I can't consistently transition from Vapor Cannon to Double Vapor Cannon, and when I can, I absolutely cannot do the super laser move :argh:

I do wonder how much of it is that I'm 33 and my reflexes probably aren't what they used to be, but at the same time I'm sure I can, eventually, someday, do it

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 30, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Assuming we are allowed to talk about Gundam Vs Extreme Maxiboost On here (say that ten times fast), I am interested in it and been looking at some basic strategies. My question is, for beginners, is it easier to play frontline or backline?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

tbf fighting games aren't for everyone, really, no genre is. On the other hand I kinda get where he's coming from; I'm glad I branched out from Skullgirls cuz I would just get 100-0'ed within the first like 10 seconds of a match and not get a hit in edgewise because of basically-infinite juggles. I guess there's an anti-infinite system in SG but I don't know how it works and if I hadn't also bought Mortal Kombat at basically the same time and tried that, I would've given up. It's really rough playing these more niche games where most of the remaining players are really dedicated and even if they're not good per se, they're certainly better than someone who's just picked the genere up for the first time.

Even now I still get kinda frustrated; I'm on the last trial with Maxima and I can't consistently transition from Vapor Cannon to Double Vapor Cannon, and when I can, I absolutely cannot do the super laser move :argh:

I do wonder how much of it is that I'm 33 and my reflexes probably aren't what they used to be, but at the same time I'm sure I can, eventually, someday, do it

Fighting games are always going to have the problem of it feeling really bad to lose in them particularly when new, coupled with a not particularly encouraging or inviting community if you're just some rando playing online. "Spend 200 hours not having fun (and getting frustrated by terrible online interfaces, load times, etc)" is kind of a big ask and always will be unless they start fixing at least the latter half of that sentence.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Hobojim posted:

lol

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

chumbler posted:

Fighting games are always going to have the problem of it feeling really bad to lose in them particularly when new, coupled with a not particularly encouraging or inviting community if you're just some rando playing online. "Spend 200 hours not having fun (and getting frustrated by terrible online interfaces, load times, etc)" is kind of a big ask and always will be unless they start fixing at least the latter half of that sentence.

That's very true, but IME games with larger player bases like SFV and MK11 tend to be a bit more inviting in that regard since there seem to be a lot of players at all skill levels. I won ~1/3 to 1/2 of my first ten matches in those games. I have never won a game of Skullgirls in ranked.

But again, like any competitive game, there's going to be a steep learning curve, and it's only more intimidating when it seems like everyone else is a top-tier player

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Assuming we are allowed to talk about Gundam Vs Extreme Maxiboost On here (say that ten times fast), I am interested in it and been looking at some basic strategies. My question is, for beginners, is it easier to play frontline or backline?

it's really up to your own playstyle. Depending on your partner, the suits you like, who you're fighting, etc it can be easier or harder. Personally I prefer frontline but still ranged focus but that's just me. It's really all about feeling out stuff as you go though.

Also there's a handy and insanely detailed 'starter' guide here too:

https://twitter.com/ExtremeEvol/status/1288535523519234049

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

chumbler posted:

There should be some kind of tilt protection where after a long losing streak online, the game has a chance to throw a MeatSim at you who is otherwise indistinguishable from a real human player.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/BeautifuldudeGG/status/1288636721370763264

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

god drat

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
he didn't randomly dragon install, 0/10

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kusoru tech

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
the trick to getting into fighting games is to accept that you're going to lose a lot at first, and derive pleasure from learning something complicated and seeing incremental progress over time, instead of deriving pleasure strictly from winning matches. if you play a musical instrument, it's like that. also it doesn't matter if you're 33 or whatever lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Live Free posted:

the trick to getting into fighting games is to accept that you're going to lose a lot at first, and derive pleasure from learning something complicated and seeing incremental progress over time, instead of deriving pleasure strictly from winning matches. if you play a musical instrument, it's like that. also it doesn't matter if you're 33 or whatever lol

A little while ago I was doing a netplay GG lobby with friends and another friend who was spectating while waiting his turn said to me "woah I didn't know you could do the [slayer] bite RC combo! Nice!" and I felt so proud because that was something I had just spent time practicing (I was working on strike/throw mixups) and i got it off in a match.

Current little thing I'm trying to incorporate in FGs is actually playing them more

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Current little thing I'm trying to incorporate in FGs is actually playing them more

This is also frequently the hard part, depending on how cooperative your employment situation is and how alive the game might be.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

wait was Ono demoted at Capcom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

chumbler posted:

This is also frequently the hard part, depending on how cooperative your employment situation is and how alive the game might be.

its more that netplay feels so much more soulless than going to locals and other events :(