Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
my rift s and i don't do anything with facebook, and usually just steam VR, but it was handy to have the oculus launcher for vader since it isn't available on steam

what im saying is im real happy with my rift s, sure there will be something better soon but whatever that's the thing with every drat hardware purchase ever?

thing feels like its gonna last me a few years of good cool vr games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Sources: New Oculus Quest Has Adjustable Lenses For IPD

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pretty much what we've guessed here then; Probably a single-panel display with software IPD, and three physical lens spacings to work from rather than one to push the range out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If that 1/2/3 setting is a dial, not a switch, that would make sense. Dial probably has less instantaneous force so you can make it cheaper, won't rattle back and forth etc

Actually, makes sense to move the dial in-between the lenses like that. To me, anyways. The slider on the bottom is not super obvious what it does. A weird dial with a number 2 right between the lenses is going to at least spark some curiosity with the average end user.

You can't win them all but from a UIX perspective, between the lenses is probably a better spot on a consumer device (even if you can't evaluate the changes live like you can with the slider) as they're more likely to actually use it or question it. The slider was on the bottom and unlabeled

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Someone is developing a 'Beat Saber, but with drums'. It's actually pretty neat idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1tdru0giPw

Also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTzlkygCSq4

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
VR rockband would own and I'd buy my brother a headset if we could rock out to some Black Sabbath

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
There was a Rockband VR. I got it as part of a freebie offer with a bunch of other games from Green Man. It requires you to clip an Oculus Touch controller onto one of the later Rock Band guitars. Since I have the first 360 guitar and no clip I couldn't play it.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

Looking at it some more, and how strangely deep the optical path is, i wonder if you don't adjust IPD by physicaly grabbing and sliding the housing, and the number there just changes to reflect that, and the part above is the proximity sensor. Everyone kind of forgot about the proximity sensor and if thats not it above the number readout, then I don't know where it would be.

Tom Guycot posted:

Also, if you change it by physically moving the lens housing left and right, it would as well make it easy for people to know what it does.

I know that sounds dumb to anyone who follows threads like this and reads, but there are a lot of people who have no clue what that slider does. They think its a focus knob for glasses or something else silly. Sliding the lens over into different numbered positions would make it impossible to not know what you're doing.

Wow, nailed it. Guycot is the Oculus insider.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone made a VR mod for The Outer Wilds :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctDViUsMM1Q

:stare: this might actually make me go back and play the game.

Hell yeah

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I feel like I may have accidentally jinxed myself with my posting because mere days after gushing about how much I loved my Index I've encountered a strange hardware error: The headset refuses to be detected unless I remove and replace the main AC plug and change the USB socket. Normally I would not be worried but connection and power errors that eventually made me unable to use it no matter what were what made me eventually return my Rift S and get the Index. Is this something common to Indexes or a sign of a more serious problem?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Leal posted:

VR rockband would own and I'd buy my brother a headset if we could rock out to some Black Sabbath

Like he said there was one, its hard to play now since it needed an adapter to attach your controller to a rockband guitar, though even back int he day people were playign it with revive and rubber banding it to it so i'm sure you still could if you wanted.

It was really neat though, as a rhythm game it wasn't as solid as something like beatsaber, but as an experience it was amazing. Having that tracked controller in space, walking around the stage in front of a crowd, the audience reacting when you make eye contact, leaning back to back with your bandmates singing into the mic. Stuff like the microphones on stage working so if you leaned into them you could hear your voice over the speaker system in the venue.

Really really wonderful as a VR experience. The only downside was it had a real lovely selection of music for a harmonix rockband game. But, playing one of the fun songs in front of a crowd is still one of my favorite little VR escapisms.

Chadzok posted:

Wow, nailed it. Guycot is the Oculus insider.

:biglips:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

netcat posted:

I never did manage to get oculus link work with my PC so I have an rtx 2060 ”super” on the way since I need a gpu upgrade anyway. Hopefully that works or I’m gonna be pissed

I've got the 2060 Super and it works well with Link. Just make sure to get the Oculus Tray Tool to optimize your settings.

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down

Pierson posted:

I feel like I may have accidentally jinxed myself with my posting because mere days after gushing about how much I loved my Index I've encountered a strange hardware error: The headset refuses to be detected unless I remove and replace the main AC plug and change the USB socket. Normally I would not be worried but connection and power errors that eventually made me unable to use it no matter what were what made me eventually return my Rift S and get the Index. Is this something common to Indexes or a sign of a more serious problem?

How many monitors are you using? I have to unplug my 3rd and have everything connected prior to booting or I have similar issues. Still less annoying than setting up the Rift S + sensors, though. I also had an issue where the GeForce 451.48 driver gave me HDCP errors, so I had to roll that back.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, I had yesterday tons of audio crackling through my Link. Tweaking the audio in the computer didn't solve it, but the solution was on the other side of the equation: reboot my Quest, that solved it.

I finished Paper Beasts, the end doesn't explain poo poo lol , it's an experience you have to take in, and that's it.

I also played Down the Rabbit Hole, the graphics were very nice, the art style is lovely and the voice acting is good, the puzzles were all easy but well executed. The end was disappointing, you talk with the Queen of Hearts very briefly and it ends. Uh. It's also short as hell.

Another nice 'experiences' I played these days have been Age of Sail, Cosmic Flow (both free on Steam) and Fujii, the latter being a longer thing with a bit of gameplay and so nice to look at:

Oh yeah I tried yesterday night Five Night at Freddies, (first time I played something related to this IP) and it was disappointing. Why people like this poo poo?

When we will have a good horror game in VR?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Given the amount of childrens clothes and toys I see for it, I suspect it's basically Mattels My First Horror Game.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Without spoilers, what's wrong with it? My wife loves horror games in VR (as long as there is no combat). She is currently loving Layers of Fear and enjoyed (despite the buggyness) A Chair in a Room. I like the Walking Dead game, even if it isn't as much of a horror game. I like that a mistake easily leads to death.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Without spoilers, what's wrong with it? My wife loves horror games in VR (as long as there is no combat). She is currently loving Layers of Fear and enjoyed (despite the buggyness) A Chair in a Room. I like the Walking Dead game, even if it isn't as much of a horror game. I like that a mistake easily leads to death.

It's basically like a mini game with a series of jump-scares attached to it.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I've got the 2060 Super and it works well with Link. Just make sure to get the Oculus Tray Tool to optimize your settings.

I’m just worried there are problems with the usb ports on my motherboard or whatever. I’m not sure why that would be an issue since I have usb 3 ports and the connection is green in the oculus app but I’ve seen people mention it as a possible error source.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I've only played the first non vr FNAF but it has the interactivity of your average flash game. Good atmosphere but the gameplay is entirely clicking the right spot before an invisible bar fills up an you die.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Pierson posted:

so the same problem that happened to your rift is happening to the index?

are we sure it's the headset's problem?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh yeah I tried yesterday night Five Night at Freddies, (first time I played something related to this IP) and it was disappointing. Why people like this poo poo?

kids

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I find Layers of Fear to be absolutely terrifying. There's a lot of tiny details that help get you immersed, and then it feeds you weird glimpses of insanity to be as unsettling as possible.

I had a buddy play it and he's not observant at all, missing most of the opening details. He thought it was boring until poo poo starting going crazy, and then spent 20 minutes yelling in his headset. So even if you don't like plot details it does a pretty good job.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I didn’t hate Layers of Fear when it was free on PS4. It does have an absolutely hilarious moment that I hope was intentional. I would love to see VR footage of it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ok FNaF sounds proper poo poo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
FNAF is spooky, simple fun, and it's well suited for VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Great Beer posted:

Given the amount of childrens clothes and toys I see for it, I suspect it's basically Mattels My First Horror Game.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ok FNaF sounds proper poo poo.

Its not. And its actually really scary if the things they are targeting are fears of yours. Being in small spaces, is a thing for me. The people saying its for kids, or isn't scary, or whatever, I just dont agree with. I'm one of those people who mock and joke about scary games/movies the entire way through and FNAF does not let me even start to joke before it pulls me in and starts cranking up the pressure.

Probably not for everyone, But don't let random goons tell you its bad. Theres a reason its popular, its good. Haters just hating because its cool to hate.

And adults who enjoy fun?

FNAF is great. Its the only horror game that really makes me go "ok gently caress me no no no no".

Shine posted:

FNAF is spooky, simple fun, and it's well suited for VR.

Exactly. VR ramps up the scary level to 11 for FNAF.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 29, 2020

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
You could probably argue that, while FNaF wasn't intended for kids in the beginning, they enabled it to be as huge and successful as it is and are a major part of its intended audience now.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sailor Dave posted:

You could probably argue that, while FNaF wasn't intended for kids in the beginning, they enabled it to be as huge and successful as it is and are a major part of its intended audience now.

Sure the toy side is marketed towards kids. Can't disagree with that.

The game? Did you not grow up in the 80s early 90s? Do you not remember the dozens of pizza places with video games and robot poo poo singing? Its totally relatable to adults from the start which is why its so brilliant IMO. Then it picks little fears and pokes at them with a hot iron. Good poo poo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Probably not for everyone, But don't let random goons tell you its bad. Theres a reason its popular, its good. Haters just hating because its cool to hate.

So when you like something it's because it's objectively good but when someone doesn't like it is because they are haters searching something to hate. Gotcha. Totally sound argument. Not even one gap on it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As a game it just isn't that engaging or fun. But haters be hatin' i guess.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

people can like different things guys

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
For every thing you like I'll dislike 2

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Leal posted:

For every thing you like I'll dislike 2

Your Virtual Reality Game is a Piece of poo poo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inxile announces PvPvE multiplayer VR game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOUHb7k3KAw

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

So when you like something it's because it's objectively good but when someone doesn't like it is because they are haters searching something to hate. Gotcha. Totally sound argument. Not even one gap on it.

Things that tend to be popular, are actually in fact good. While you may personally not like said thing, for whatever reason, when the general feeling or review is "pretty good" means its pretty good.

Goons tend to forget that.

Its like pop music, or any other form of media. Shits popular for a reason. You can try to nit pick or pull it apart but fact is its enjoyable to the mass of the population.

Fortnites a great example of this.

EDIT: I happen to like FNAF. I understand why some people "dislike it". But calling it poo poo, or saying its not a good game, is ignorant as gently caress. Which is the point here.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 29, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:toot: I am finally getting in on the PCVR world. Very Excited. My friend is selling me a relatively new VR ready laptop for extremely cheap so I ordered a Rift today.

Just a quick question. It appears it exceeds the minimum system requirements to play Half Life Alyx, but not the recommended specs.

intel i7-8750h cpu @ 2.20 ghz
nvidia gtx 1070 GDDR5 @ 8GB (256 bit)
16gb ram

I know fuckall about PC gaming, so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect about how well HL: Alyx will run and how suitable this will be for VR in general. As far as I can tell I know it's not going to give me a bleeding edge experience but it should be fine in general?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

:toot: I am finally getting in on the PCVR world. Very Excited. My friend is selling me a relatively new VR ready laptop for extremely cheap so I ordered a Rift today.

Just a quick question. It appears it exceeds the minimum system requirements to play Half Life Alyx, but not the recommended specs.

16gb ram

I know fuckall about PC gaming, so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect about how well HL: Alyx will run and how suitable this will be for VR in general. As far as I can tell I know it's not going to give me a bleeding edge experience but it should be fine in general?

It will run - but don't expect it to run at high settings!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

veni veni veni posted:

16gb ram

I played it with a GTX 1070 and it was fine. The game automatically chooses your graphics settings to optimize for smooth playback, I think it autodetected medium on my rig. Things were a bit choppy when I tried turning it up to high but you can't tell much difference between the two anyway. People with 8GB of RAM seem to run into problems but with 16GB you should be alright.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Inacio posted:

It will run - but don't expect it to run at high settings!

Half Life Alyx on low still looks better than practically every other VR game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Excellent. :q:

I am so goddamn excited to play this game and PCVR in general. I feel like a little kid on Christmas waiting for my rift to come in the mail.