Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

OK B wins, we'll be keeping our distance while staying in comms. Lets see what happens.

Telsa Cola posted:

Well this better than first contact being a Swarm Matriarch popping in system and dropping swarmlings on earth

Behind the scenes I've started the game with most of that stuff turned off, to prevent exactly that, and am slowly reintroducing it. I didn't want the LP to end three years in to something hilarious like the swarm.

ProfFrink posted:

Also, we should start on a diplomacy ship ASAP.

Yeah my bad for not starting us with one. I don't want to halt the game to run a contest, mostly because I have the time off to make another update. I will tender designs very soon on that.

PurpleXVI posted:

How in-depth is Aurora diplomacy? Can we get defensive alliances, that sort of thing? Or will peace just mean we can trade with them and travel through their systems without getting blown away?

We can do research, trade, and map info treaties. We can also establish a hard or soft border though a series of system claims. It's pretty rudimentary, but is a massive improvement over VB Aurora.

I'm less than an expert on peaceful interactions with NPRs, I often end up fighting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I know it stands for Non-Player Race, but I can't stop having thoughts of an invasion by hostile highly-advanced National Public Radios.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Right, I'm not from the states so that never really crossed my mind. The only thing I really know about NPR is Prairie Home Companion, because Canada's national broadcaster had a terrible knock-off.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't live in the US either, it's probably more that I've been hanging around very US-centric spaces online for the most part.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
MCCAMMON: All right, Will. What's next week's challenge?

SHORTZ: Yes. It comes from every listener we have and some we don't. Aliens: what the gently caress?

MCCAMMON: When you have the answer, go to our website, npr.org/puzzle, and click on the submit your answer link. Remember, just one entry, please. Our deadline for entries is Thursday, July 30, at 3 p.m. Eastern time, or when we are all vaporized by horrific beings from beyond time and space. Include a phone number where we can reach you at about that time. If you're the winner, and you're still alive, we will give you a call, and you'll get to play on the air with the puzzle editor of The New York Times and WEEKEND EDITION's puzzlemaster, Will Shortz. If he's not dead too.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
B also may I please be a naval ociffer?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Relevant NPR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

HereticMIND posted:

B

Also, I believe that I mentioned that I wanted to be dorfed into a Naval Commander; has this happened or did you not see my request?

Yes I got you, you requested to start at the bottom, you currently commanding a fighter on our CVL. Good luck! Those fighters are little more than coffins with a gauss cannon.

Shoeless posted:

B also may I please be a naval ociffer?

Got you in!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Virtual Russian posted:

Yes I got you, you requested to start at the bottom, you currently commanding a fighter on our CVL. Good luck! Those fighters are little more than coffins with a gauss cannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4pSjzI8BSw

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

That's essentially how our Kobolds and Wyrens operate.

Also god that is a boring movie, It's Top Gun without anything exciting happening.

Also the Starfighter is the perfect comparison as our fighters are also deathtraps.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
How do you change the size of columns in places like the research window so you can actually see the full completion date of projects? At default I can only see day and month, maybe the first two digits of the year if I'm lucky.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I think you need one of the mods to adjust the UI. I've never encountered that problem before, it must be an issue with your resolution and some scaling problem. The total lack of ability to customize the UI (as far as I know of) is frustrating to say the least.

Also if anyone is reading and isn't dorfed I had to promote up a junior officer for their very specific set of skills. I'd rather have an important officer be named. They are up for grabs.

The star that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 29, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You have to change your date settings in Windows to avoid that problem. Go to "Change Date And Time Formats" from the Adjust/Date Time option you get when you right click on your clock.

Set short date to M/D/YY and long date to MMMM d, YYYY and the date won't be cut off.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Oh right, I sometimes forget that the whole game gets thrown off kilter if you have the wrong date format on your computer. That's probably the single best way to demonstrate how weird Aurora can be sometimes.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

You have to change your date settings in Windows to avoid that problem. Go to "Change Date And Time Formats" from the Adjust/Date Time option you get when you right click on your clock.

Set short date to M/D/YY and long date to MMMM d, YYYY and the date won't be cut off.

Mega thanks.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If you really want to piss it off, be in a country that uses , as a decimal separator instead of .

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Decimal seperator also causes major amounts of weirdness.

Edit: welp thats what I get for not refreshing.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Took the hour or so to get this going on Wine, the move to C# definitely made that kind of thing much easier.

This is dwarf fortress in space. It's a shame almost, because a few QoL additions like coordinating the research-development/research-activity sections, as well auto-generating some baseline equipment so that shipbuilding isn't so opaque. Heck, even just auto-generating a baseline set of ships and classes. It took Sagan's saying "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." really seriously.

Buuuut, it's dwarf fortress in space which means the level of detail is so incredibly high that it's fun to just try to get a handle on the management of things. Colonization is a micromanagement hell, but it's so... hard sci-fi in tone and texture that I'm drawn to keep learning the mechanisms.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I propose the Not One Step Backwards bill. Under the terms of this bill the colony on Accatran must be maintained and may not retreat from or surrender the colony to any foreign enemy, until this bill sunsets in ten years time.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

El Spamo posted:

Took the hour or so to get this going on Wine, the move to C# definitely made that kind of thing much easier.

This is dwarf fortress in space. It's a shame almost, because a few QoL additions like coordinating the research-development/research-activity sections, as well auto-generating some baseline equipment so that shipbuilding isn't so opaque. Heck, even just auto-generating a baseline set of ships and classes. It took Sagan's saying "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." really seriously.

Buuuut, it's dwarf fortress in space which means the level of detail is so incredibly high that it's fun to just try to get a handle on the management of things. Colonization is a micromanagement hell, but it's so... hard sci-fi in tone and texture that I'm drawn to keep learning the mechanisms.

Research is getting some steamlining additions next version. You can set the game to auto assign techpoints and autodesign ship classes on new game start where you set species characteristics.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 29, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Double post

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Faced with Commander El Spamo’s request for direction, the members of the High Command and Admiralty present quickly conferred with each other. It was not yet nine in the morning, and they had been awake monitoring the situation all night. They took less than five minutes to come to a decision, the DSS Teoberto Maler was to halt approach at 25 million kilometers and open all communication channels. All incoming transmission were to be relayed back to Earth. They were gambling, the ship had not yet been fired upon, and they definitely knew the ship was there. Perhaps if they meant us ill will, we would already know. One way or another, a snap decision made in a moment of panic was going to decide the course of human history.

One thing the High Command wasn’t going to gamble with was the Union of Terra’s colonial holdings. An emergency task group to reinforce the Accatran system was being organized with lightning speed. Makho’s Folly was to form the base of operations, a fuel station was to be towed into orbit to allow refueling. A small selection of naval vessels was to immediately be sent, with a strike group to follow as soon as ready, there would be no time for a work-up. General Tacha Romanova had insisted the colony itself was to be reinforced with more troops and gun emplacements, which could protect both the colony and ships in orbit from incoming missile attacks.

Quietly, Admiral Mete Polatkan poured over logistical reports. All this activity was going to cost a lot of fuel, something the Union of Terra was already expending at a greater rate than it was being replaced. Should it come to fighting, the Admiral was sure of one thing, the navy would not be able to conduct offensive operations for very long.

December 5th, 2108 – 08:30

Immediately, I organize a fleet operation, which will be called Operation Shield of Makho

The operation will see two squadrons of ships, each containing a Zeus Class Gunboat and an Artemis Class Corvette, sent first to the Accatran Jump Point in Sol, where our tanker will refuel them before departing the fleet to return to earth. The remaining warships will transit the JP and move into orbit of Makho’s Folly. These ships will provide protection for troops transports bringing in soldiers and STO guns. To assist operations in Accatran, our tug will be dragging a refueling station into orbit of Makho’s Folly.

A small force is being sent to show our interest in guarding a vital colonial holding. We cannot afford to split the fleet any further, nor can we support FAC operations in Accatran at this time. Furthermore, a larger force would seriously deplete our fuel reserves, jeopardizing further operations and denying us strategic flexibility.

OOB for Operation Shield of Mahko: Commanded by Captain Chocolate Pancake

Squadron 001 (Commander AJ_Impy)
GB Arisarchus (Zeus class gunboat): Commander Pyroi
CT Alepetragius (Artemis class corvette): Commander AJ Impy

Squadron 002 (Commander Aesculus)
GB Crisium (Zeus class gunboat): Commander Crazycryodude
CT Clavius (Artemis class corvette): Commander Aesculus

Immediately these vessels get underway and proceed to the Accatran Jump point for refueling. The best of luck is wished to the officers and crew of these vessels. They will need it should fighting erupt, the armor on these ships is almost paper thin.

We also begin fueling our spare Lykourgos Fueling Space Station and get a tug ready to tow it to Makho’s Folly.

We begin mass production of Vulpes size 4 missiles. We also begin production of five additional Kobold class missile destroyers to compliment our strike group stationed on Earth. Let’s hope we don’t need them. It will take until October before the Colonial Strike group’s Wyren is finished. If pressed to fight we have one Wyren, plus other vessels whose sensors the Kobolds can rely on.

December 5th, 2108 – 9:30

An hour passes, The DSS Teoberto Maler is now reporting far more contacts as they close in on their target distance of 25 million kilometres. They also report that judging from the behavior and data collected from the vessels that did a flyby earlier, they are likely Survey Craft. They have also identified a vessel attempting to communicate with us, likely some form of diplomacy craft.

They have a decent fleet, and if their survey craft can clock 4,000km\s they might be well ahead of us in tech. That diplomacy vessel is a very good sign, lets hope the intel is correct on that. They appear to be surveying in the direction we came from, that should buy us a little bit of time to fortify in case of war.

December 5th, 2108 – 17:30

We are in position; all we can do now is wait and see what happens. We need to stay on their scopes to communicate, I think I’m close enough for that. Meanwhile our task group is racing towards Makho’s Folly.

I cannot be sure what those three craft that buzzed us are. Our intel says Survey Craft, but I’m not sold.

December 9th, 2108

The constant stream of communication emanating from the alien world has thus far been totally unintelligible. Our team of codebreakers and translators struggle to make any sense of what is being sent to us.

Not a great start. There is always a chance we’ll never be able to understand them.

December 14th, 2108

We make some progress on translation, not very much though. Meanwhile our task group is refueling at the Jump Point, and will be back on route soon.

December 22th, 2108

“Welcome to Makho’s Folly, there isn’t much to do for fun around here. You can either enjoy a walk though our mass graves, or get your head bashed in by the garrison.”

Our task group has arrived in Accatran, shore leave is allowed. We also make a bit more progress on translation. A sign of hope is that our relation to these aliens is now at +1, it’s not negative and that is good.

January 14th, 2109

Frustrated by a month of non-stop work, all while under the constant surveillance of an unknown alien fleet, Commander El Spamo snapped under pressure and shouted over the comms at the aliens. While they could not have known what was said, their tone distinctly changed, possibly souring.

Facing a total reversal of all the work achieved so far, the High Command has decided to temporarily relieve the commander of the DSS Teoberto Maler, promoting a junior officer, Bursuq Abba, who was responsible for the what little translation progress had been achieved so far. This is a desperate gamble to achieve some measurable results.

January 24th, 2109

The gamble appears to have paid off, the young officer is making significant progress, seeming to even smooth over El Spamo’s outburst.

Whatever happens, our troops and STO guns, along with another batch of colonists, have almost arrived on Makho’s Folly. Those STOs give us half a chance of defending the colony, so long as the Vossians aren’t too far ahead us in tech.

February 8th, 2109

That command change is really paying dividends. I should probably have done that the first time. We are now at +7 relation, up from -4 after the setback.

Let’s hope all this works out, the Vossians have a pretty large, fast, and active fleet.

March 1st, 2109

After the early success, we experience weeks of frustrated communication without any serious progress. We now have almost 50 guns in place on Mahko’s Folly. Seeing that diplomacy might not work out I’m going to dump even more there.

March 20th, 2109

“Are you kidding me?! Commander if this is your idea of a joke, I will bust you back to lieutenant so fast it will make your head spin! Translate it again.”

Suddenly, and surprisingly, we established communication, I really did not think it was going to happen. Also oh boy that sure is a thing to call your civilization. Now we’ll have to see what kind of demands they are going to make of us. I’m not going to push them on anything just yet. It doesn’t seem like we are in a position to demand much.

To recap, these are our neighbors. We know very little about them so far, but at least they seem peaceful.

March 21th, 2109

As soon a makeshift automatic translator was constructed aboard the DSS Teoberto Maler, there began an extensive exchange of information. We learned that the Kookens are the descendants of an ancient spacefaring race that disappeared from the galaxy eons ago. Their myths speak of some great calamity millions of years ago that destroyed their civilization, as far as they know only their small settlement escaped unharmed. Even then, the Kookens ancient technology had ceased to function, plunging them back into the stone age. It was only in the last several hundred years that they had once more regained the ability to travel the stars. They speak with great pride about the mythological achievement of their ancient forebearers. However, when pressed on their intentions they remain aloof and speak only in the vaguest of terms, alluding to some desire to regain their once lost glory.

After a productive twenty hours of communication the crew of the DSS Teoberto Maler bid the Kookens farewell and began to pull away from their present course to return to Earth for some well-earned shore leave. The last clear communication the Admiralty received from Commander Abba was a report that they had picked up seven strong thermal contacts closing fast. Nothing unusual given the number of flybys the Kookens had preformed in the last two months. After a momentary pause, the channel opened back up, but now all hell had broken loose. Klaxons were blaring and cacophony of screaming and explosions flooded the channel. Someone could be heard shouting “why are they firing on us? What did we do?”, a call to abandon ship could be heard crackling over the intercom, and then the feed was abruptly cut off.

An alert was promptly sent out to all parts of the Union of Terra, all leave was cancelled, and Navy was to be on high alert. The Union of Terra was now at war.

I didn’t see that coming after translation, time to prepare for the worst.

I’m turning on the active sensors for one of the ships above Makho’s Folly. Otherwise they are pretty blind there, and I don’t want to get ambushed. We don’t yet have a passive sensor station on the planet yet. At least our gun batteries have their own actives. I’m redirecting a nearby Survey Craft with a thermal sensor, but it will take 21 days to arrive. If a force approaches, I doubt our ships can hold up against those beams. If these guys insist on fighting us, our only hope will be holding them at range with missiles. With our current ships it’s going to be more of a “shoot and scoot” scenario.
One day we will build mighty beam battleships, but for now Fast Attack Craft will be our only hope. I’m so glad I already ordered more. I’ve commissioned the production of another Wyren, we don’t want to be without eyes for the Kobolds. I am naming this ship Abba’s Revenge after the young officer killed by the Kookens. El Spamo’s temporary demotion spared him the great honor of being cut to pieces by beams.

We are only at -101 relations with the Kookens, there is a solid chance that this might not escalate, which will give us the moments we need to build a fleet and dig in. A cold war is the best we can hope for right now.

April 14th, 2109

For weeks the entire Union of Terra held their collective breath. The entire population of Makho’s Folly had been mobilized to install Surface to Orbit guns. Elsewhere weapons were being produced, missiles manufactured. The shipyards at Earth were flooded with military contracts. Yet the Kooken fleet was nowhere to be found.

Weeks pass with no sign of the Kookens, we are drifting back towards neutral relations. We might just have a cold war on our hands. I’m pretty sure picked up the lifepod of survivors, they likely have some amount of intel on us now.

We increase our turret rotation speed, and begin researching a larger size of laser.

April 19th, 2109

A batch of Kobolds roll out of the shipyard, I get another set underway. Our fuel dips below 10 million litres, I’m scaling back colonial efforts to Europa and Luna for the time being.

July 2nd, 2109

Not much to report on, the Kookens don’t appear to have left their home system. I’ve arranged another shipment of STO guns to be sent to Makho’s Folly, along with some passive sensor equipment. We’re going to need to catch up technologically. We are going to either do it by destroying and scrapping their ships, or by delving into those alien sites. We’re already started on the Xeno-archaeology path, but its not quick by any means.

September 23rd, 2109

In less than a year Makho’s Folly had become a veritable fortress. With a population of just 310,000, the colony supports nearly 6000 soldiers, along with 69 STO flak guns, and 10 STO particle beam guns. Most importantly, there is now installed a large sensor complex, which can see deep into space around the colony. It was still far from being secure from threats, but no longer is it the helpless settlement it was back in January.

I cannot believe we haven’t seen those aliens leave home yet. They really dropped the ball on that one. In time, I say we make them pay dearly for that mistake. They’ll certainly have a much harder time uprooting us from Accatran with every month we are allowed to stay.

November 4th, 2109

Early November sees a flurry of good news, our Colonial Wyren is completed, we can finally swap out those gunboats and corvettes. They form up with our tanker and make way to Makho’s Folly.

Through research we now have access to longer ranged gauss cannons, as well as larger more efficient engines.

December 31st, 2109

The Maler incident continued to dominate debate in the High Command and Admiralty, but there was no agreement on what it meant, or how to proceed.
General Romanova insists that only the army could secure our colonies. Industry must be marshaled to produce more STO guns, and that a combat capable engineering vehicle the army designed should be put into trails. The general correctly points out that 6000 soldiers would need to be heavily dug in to resist whatever the Kookens might throw at them. Furthermore, the army was currently a defensive force mostly designed to enforce peace, not fight, and would need to be modernized. Many agreed with the General, but such a plan would require a significant allocation of resources and scientific capability.

Meanwhile, Admiral Mete Polatkan reminded everyone that it had already been settled that the navy would undergo a massive shipbuilding program, which was needed now more than ever. Recent breakthroughs in propulsion technology had made obsolete our entire fleet, a fact only further underlined by the capabilities seen in Kooken combat vessels. However, our weapons technology had not significantly improved in the last decade, and was seriously under-powered compared to Kooken beam weapons. Rapid improvement of our offensive capabilities would need to be a priority. However, Polatkan also had bad news, both of the military grade shipyards were in the middle of expensive and extensive expansion projects. Neither would be able to undergo major retooling for several years.

A further complication, the moratorium on unnecessary cargo shipping had been saving fuel, but was causing shortages of essential goods on Luna and Europa. The Colonial Office is complaining that while the unrest is under control, these worlds are not capable of further development as long as the shipments of goods and infrastructure are discontinued. They insist that we cannot live in fear of the Kookens, and can only assure our place in the galaxy if we actually have people living and thriving in it.

We finally complete research into the next tier of engine technology. We will now be able to build far more competitive warships.

Makho’s Folly is now host to a respectable fleet, two squadrons of warships, and a large strike group of Kobolds aided by a single Wyren. Unfortunately, this fleet would still likely melt if faced with the full force of the Kooken Navy. However, they do seem unwilling to advance on us, at least for now. I’m yet to even see a science vessel of theirs leave Voss. This could mean they simply haven’t discovered the Accatran Jump Point yet, if so we wouldn’t have long before they do.

It's the end of the decade, so lets vote on our policies. Feel free to suggest alternative courses of action, I'll take them under consideration.

+++++++ Union of Terra Policy for 2110s +++++++

Industrial Focus

A. Exo-operation – Continue to pursue industrial production that can be utilized in off-world mining and colonization efforts. Infrastructure will be mass-produced, mass-drivers made and
deployed alongside automated mines. Terraforming Stations will be produced and dragged into place. We will begin shaping the galaxy to our needs.
B. Expand the Fleet – Pour resources into increasing military dockyards and maintenance facilities. Listening posts will also be produced and dispersed in the outer reaches of the solar system.
Makho’s Folly should receive some maintenance facilities.
C. Strengthen Sol’s Industry – Earth’s factories will be greatly expanded, especially fuel refineries. Industrial production tech will be pursued. Sorium harvesting will be researched and a
fuel harvesting station built and placed in Sol once possible.

Off World Colonies

A. Expansion – Continue to aggressively create new colonies, Adrantis will be quickly colonized to legitimize our claim to it. Our limited resources will be put into expanding the number of
colonies we possess.
B. Improvement – We must make our current colonies larger and more functional. We need to develop their native industries, or at least get them exporting vital TN minerals.

Military Focus

A. Navy – If the Navy can secure space there will be no need of the army, if they cannot an isolated colony will fall no matter how fortified. Continue the naval expansion project as planned.
B. Army – Our worlds must become as citadels, STO guns can protect moored ships, and can even shoot down enemy vessels that stray too close. Our army needs better equipment, our troops
lack armored vehicles and specialized equipment.
C. Balanced Approach – Keep our naval expansion on track, but divert some resources to developing a better military. Send a few more batteries to Makho’s Folly.

The Kooken Menace

A. A Very Cold War - Accatran must be secured, we must match any Kooken aggression, but at all cost try to avoid a potentially cataclysmic escalation with an obviously technologically
superior
foe. We will not cede Accatran except in the case of outright military defeat. Once we close the technological gap we can consider aggressive actions.
B. Revanchism - Remember the Maler! Our destiny lies in the stars, and the Kookens have cut us off from a vital path of expansion. We must prepare for war. Attempt to destroy and salvage a Kooken ship for parts to help close the technological gap. (this will require us to research salvage first)
C. Appeasement - Woe to us, we cannot hope to defeat such a powerful foe. We must pursue a strategy of delaying the inevitable war as long as possible, so as to catch up technologically. We will cede our fledgling holdings in Accatran if that delays a costly war. We will one day return in force.

Tech Focus

Write in which area of tech we should dedicate a large portion of our labs to, choices are Biology/Genetics, Construction/Production, Defensive Systems, Energy Weapons, Ground Combat, Logistics,Missiles/Kinetic Weapons, Power and Propulsion, and Sensors and Control Systems.

+++++++End of Policy Docket +++++++

We will also be running a ship contest. We are in dire need of a ship that can sustain combat against superior firepower. Everything we have is armed with box launchers, or has hopelessly thin armor. It should be able to conduct operations in Accatran for extended periods, and needs to be capable of making the short run back to earth without refueling, in case of retreat. Ideally this will be some kind of heavily armored ship of the line, but I’m open to any suggestions. Keep in mind we already have a great FAC and tender strike group. I won’t rule out a carrier and fighter though. A new engine will be needed, but try to keep new components to a minimum. We want this operational ASAP.

What we know: Seven ships travelling 4,000km/s with a thermal signature of 640 fired 16 strength 4 beams at us from point blank range.

The twist: We cannot retool, we are halfway through a 10,000 ton expansion. Your design must be able to be produced without retooling. That shouldn’t be too hard. Not possible.

We will cancel the expansion project, giving us a capacity of 22,000 tons to work with.

Here is the database

If there are no objections I'm going to rename Voss to reflect the Kookens being based out of there.

edit: I'll run the vote for 48 hours. I'll get the ship contest set up when I end the vote.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 30, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
AAAA

Winning a battle in the skies means not having to fight a ground war at all, but we also need to A) acquire more resources to expand our fleet and B) ensure that the industry outside of Terra is solid enough that in case of Terra being besieged or cut off, or battles being fought far away from Terra, we don't have any excessively long, fragile supply lines.

Oh, and gently caress the Kookens. Let's nuke 'em till they glow! But if they're obviously superior to us, we should fortify all systems we know connect to their home systems with ships and STO's, giving us a home field advantage if they try to break out and allowing us to eventually surpass and annihilate them.

If you need a volunteer captain to lead some sort of absurd revancheist project, feel free to reassign me from my noble survey option. I want to be the first human to shoot an alien

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeesh, those sure are some Kooky aliens, huh!

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++ Union of Terra Policy for 2110s +++++++

Industrial Focus

A. Exo-operation – Continue to pursue industrial production that can be utilized in off-world mining and colonization efforts. Infrastructure will be mass-produced, mass-drivers made and deployed alongside automated mines. Terraforming Stations will be produced and dragged into place. We will begin shaping the galaxy to our needs.

Off World Colonies

A. Expansion – Continue to aggressively create new colonies, Adrantis will be quickly colonised to legitimize our claim to it. Our limited resources will be put into expanding the number of colonies we possess.

Military Focus

A. Navy – If the Navy can secure space there will be no need of the army, if they cannot an isolated colony will fall no matter how fortified. Continue the naval expansion project as planned.

The Kooken Menace

A. A Very Cold War - Accatran must be secured, we must match any Kooken aggression, but at all cost try to avoid a potentially cataclysmic escalation with an obviously technologically superior foe. We will not cede Accatran except in the case of outright military defeat. Once we close the technological gap we can consider aggressive actions.

Tech Focus

Construction/Production - it's a close call for me between this and logistics, but atm it seems the main bottleneck is making things, not getting them to the right place (poor planning notwithstanding anyway)

+++++++End of Policy Docket +++++++

Basically I'm thinking of getting more people into more planets while developing better ways to getting the best out of the growing number of colonies. The better tech will then hopefully make improving all colonies, current and future, easier later. As for the military, well, it sounds like generally the boots on the ground get bombed by the jets in orbit so eh.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Apparently they're named after a planet in the battletech universe (a series known for its serious tone); https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kooken%27s_Pleasure_Pit

Voting:

A
B
A
A

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Hoo boy, that's quite a colonial fleet the Kooks have. Per auto-assigned designation, 4 battlecruisers, 3 heavy cruisers, half a dozen destroyers, and a few destroyer escorts. If those are accurate, the fact that they aren't pressing the attack is all that is keeping us alive.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Agreed, when they started shooting I thought it was all over for us.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Can we have a 'don't goatse the ambiguously powerful alien race' rule from now on plz

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Guessing that they don't know where the jump point is. It's 5bKm out, so they probably didn't see our ships jump in. Getting from the jumppoint to their planets is actually longer than the entire trip from Sol (which is a problem for offensive operations, we don't have anything that can make a trip in and back except a Wyvern)

Any reason you're using the fixed shipyard expansion instead of continual capacity expansion? Continual one is cancellable and also faster (expansion rate goes up as current size goes up)

Do autogenerated class assignments leak information? The only actual information we have for these ships is speeds/thermal signature/sensors/weapons. Nothing we've seen is unbuildable at our tech level

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Getting our fuel problems solved ASAP is absolutely critical because running out of gas is, well, running out of gas. Your military is totally paralyzed, as are your logistics and war industries. We really don't need to deal with a fuel shortage while there's a war looming.

C. Strengthen Sol’s Industry

quote:

Earth’s factories will be greatly expanded, especially fuel refineries. Industrial production tech will be pursued. Sorium harvesting will be researched and a
fuel harvesting station built and placed in Sol once possible.
There's a fuel crisis looming, time to expand fuel production. If we're facing a tech disadvantage then we're going to have to make up for it with an industrial base anyways and Earth is the only secure-ish place to put major industry.

B. Improvement

quote:

We must make our current colonies larger and more functional. We need to develop their native industries, or at least get them exporting vital TN minerals.
We need minerals to feed our war industry and can't afford to spend fuel running colony ships out to create more resource sinks.

C. Balanced Approach

quote:

Keep our naval expansion on track, but divert some resources to developing a better military. Send a few more batteries to Makho’s Folly.
I dunno I just like both, we're probably not going to beat them toe to toe in space so making them pay to overrun the colony is nice if nothing else.

A. A Very Cold War

quote:

Accatran must be secured, we must match any Kooken aggression, but at all cost try to avoid a potentially cataclysmic escalation with an obviously technologically superior foe. We will not cede Accatran except in the case of outright military defeat. Once we close the technological gap we can consider aggressive actions.
We're behind both technologically and economically, best to turtle up and hope they give us enough time to get on our feet. But keep the colony as a tripwire, we can't afford the declaration of war coming via fleet jumping into Sol unannounced.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Virtual Russian posted:

The twist: We cannot retool, we are halfway through a 10,000 ton expansion. Your design must be able to be produced without retooling. That shouldn’t be too hard.

This is quite literally impossible. Just making an otherwise identical engine with the new tech is enough to make a shipyard require retooling. As Foxfire says, this is why anything but continuous capacity expansion is a trap.

However, it is possible to improve our missile designs with the new tech, giving a significant boost to existing ships.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Foxfire_ posted:

Do autogenerated class assignments leak information? The only actual information we have for these ships is speeds/thermal signature/sensors/weapons. Nothing we've seen is unbuildable at our tech level

I don't remember the VB version actually giving ship class abbreviations (BC, CA, DD, DE, etc), just names, so I'm not sure. That's something new for the C# version. I have no idea how accurate they are. It could be randomly assigned, it could be assigned based on relative ship size, it could be the actual internal designations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

My bad on fixed expansion, I had it in my head that continual was slower, but could be cancelled.

It's true we have very little info to go on. Getting hit by strength 4 beam weapons could simply be 12cm lasers at point blank, which isn't a worry, or it's a particle beam, which is ahead of us. My understanding is the class assignments give some possible info on what the ship is/how big, but are not reliable, as they can be misidentified.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

You could do some sort of "detatched yard" thing and SM a ship into existence, and exact an appropriate price (have to check what you can SM down).

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nah, we'll just make do as is for now. It's not so much a mistake as a non-optimal choice, I can live with that.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I can confirm in both VB and C#, if you use the 'delete task' button to cancel a fixed-tonnage expansion it gives you the increase in capacity equal to the percent done the task was, rounded to the nearest hundred-tons. So if you've got a 10k yard that's 75% done with a 10k expansion, cancel it and you'll have a 17.5k yard.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ceebees posted:

I can confirm in both VB and C#, if you use the 'delete task' button to cancel a fixed-tonnage expansion it gives you the increase in capacity equal to the percent done the task was, rounded to the nearest hundred-tons. So if you've got a 10k yard that's 75% done with a 10k expansion, cancel it and you'll have a 17.5k yard.

Which puts us at a respectable 22,000 ton capacity, but will require retooling to use. Lets do that instead.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Strange. The first time I tested that it didn't work.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Strange. The first time I tested that it didn't work.

Same, but I got it to work with the "delete activity" button. It's why i didn't suggest this at first, i thought it didn't carry into C# when it didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Continual expansion being slower than fixed expansion is how it ought to work to make shipyard expansion more of a choice.

You can smash together a no-retool Wyern (I will embrace the typo) variant with missile launchers by dropping the hanger and cryotransport. Still barely has enough range to round trip into Voss, but is otherwise a decent frigate (10 armor, 4 salvos of 20 missiles, 2600km/s). I don't think there's anything much you can do with the Kobold yard, engines are too expensive to swap and you can't get the range up with it.

Ceebees posted:

If you "Set Activity" to No Activity, you get nothing. If you "Delete Activity" you get partial credit. :aurora:

Zurai posted:

I don't remember the VB version actually giving ship class abbreviations (BC, CA, DD, DE, etc), just names, so I'm not sure. That's something new for the C# version. I have no idea how accurate they are. It could be randomly assigned, it could be assigned based on relative ship size, it could be the actual internal designations.

In-game, we don't have size since we never pinged them with an active. Tonnage would tell us a lot since you can combine tonnage+emissions+speed to mostly figure out engine tech level.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 30, 2020