Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
10 Man Tag 4 6.25%
Tag Titles 38 59.38%
TNT Title 7 10.94%
Tornado Match 15 23.44%
Total: 64 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I hadn’t seen the Excalibur thing but boy it was pretty rough he’s literally cutting Kramer promos. I think he can and should be forgiven but like if Sammy can get rightfully punished for really dumb statements Excalibur maybe should too.

I have no idea how long ago these videos were but they were way worse than I thought I thought he had like a Randy Orton gamer moment (which was also bad and stupid, it’s just the intent is so different)

No, this is a bad take. Excusing Orton even a little for "intent" is lovely. If that word is in your vocabulary and is something you blurt out when stressed or upset or whatever its a serious racist problem. As far as I'm concerned the same goes for Excalibur. If we were drawing lines and degrees I'd say doing it for "heel heat" or something is mildly less terrible than just doing it naturally as a person? But that's a lovely line to draw either way. Just hold the person accountable for saying the very hard words "I'm sorry for saying a racist slur, that was terrible and racist of me, I'm very sorry and I will never do it again, you don't have to forgive me".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I guess my thing is like, was it a good thing to do? gently caress no. Was it uncommon at all in wrestling at the time for cheap heat? Also gently caress no. This was a couple years before/after the Vince/Cena thing, I think? I don't think he needs to be suspended and I suspect that he beats himself up over it every time it comes up, but a public apology wouldn't go amiss.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Owens/Steen also said it in that one clip. But people said he was on a podcast and had a good apology for it. I think that's enough for Excalibur too.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

No, this is a bad take. Excusing Orton even a little for "intent" is lovely. If that word is in your vocabulary and is something you blurt out when stressed or upset or whatever its a serious racist problem. As far as I'm concerned the same goes for Excalibur. If we were drawing lines and degrees I'd say doing it for "heel heat" or something is mildly less terrible than just doing it naturally as a person? But that's a lovely line to draw either way. Just hold the person accountable for saying the very hard words "I'm sorry for saying a racist slur, that was terrible and racist of me, I'm very sorry and I will never do it again, you don't have to forgive me".

i apologize that wasn’t my intended point I just meant to differentiate between Randy saying the word nonsensically and Excalibur using it (and other slurs towards latino people) in a pointed malicious way, in character but still the way it was presented is different. I don’t make sense a lot of time i’m sorry I defend no one using those words

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pylons posted:

I guess my thing is like, was it a good thing to do? gently caress no. Was it uncommon at all in wrestling at the time for cheap heat? Also gently caress no. This was a couple years before/after the Vince/Cena thing, I think? I don't think he needs to be suspended and I suspect that he beats himself up over it every time it comes up, but a public apology wouldn't go amiss.

I mean, all that tells me is that we should be holding way more people accountable and I'm really glad I was watching less wrestling around that time and don't know what the Vince/Cena thing is off the top of my head. But its Vince so I'm sure its one of many times he used a racist slur and I don't think that's a very good bar for us to set.

But like... apologize. Own it. Go talk to Scorpio Sky about how to do this.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Didn't love the episode to be honest. It looked a lot worse considering they were coming off one of the best Dynamites of the no-fans era. There were only a couple of things I didn't take issue with honestly. The tag title match was fantastic. I'm definitely going to be rewatching this one. The Dark Order have some of my favourite 2 man combos in all of the tag division. Also good to see Anna Jay back but it looked like she was wearing a bargain-bin halloween costume. Also loved the MJF promo. I love a good promo but they normally lose me after a couple of minutes unless they are REALLY good. This held my attention the entire time.

Issues:
-Production side issues like not filming Stu's dive over the turnbuckle and playing MJFs music too early, crowd audio not coming through like it normally does, JR seemingly checked out for a lot of the show and commentary in general lacking substance without Excalibur.

-The big stupid shitshow of a 10 man tag at the start where they had a referee out there for some reason. There was about a 2 minute window where I enjoyed this and the rest I didn't like whatsoever.

-The women's match sucked. I don't think Diamante is very good and there are jobbers on Dark who honestly should be signed ahead of her.

-TNT title match. Warhorse should have been able to cut a promo before the match. He even said he was going to in an interview. The problem with these weekly defenses is that there is no time to build anything so letting the guy say a few words, like Eddie Kingston was able to, adds a lot. The match itself was ok. I haven't seen Warhorse before and he honestly looked pretty outclassed by Cody. That said I like his character and I like the promo they uploaded to Twitter after the match. Not sure how I feel about brushing the whole thing aside to debut Matt Cardona.

-Jericho Interview. Didn't like this and I don't think I've ever said that about a Jericho segment before. The jacket thing is played out, the cat pee joke was out of the WWE playbook and I wasn't exactly lit up by the prospect of a debate.

-FTR signing. Pretty decent as far as forwarding the story with Hangman. Tag team appreciation night sounds stupid but I have a feeling something substantial is going to happen during this so I'm looking forward to it

-Tornado tag. I liked it well enough. The best part was the promo from team Taz at the start. Ricky sounds really good. The thumbtack spot at the end was pretty hosed up. I'm sure Ricky agreed to it and everything but the way the board slid off his back instead of going straight down was awful and undoubtedly inflicted way more damage than necessary. If Darby can't do this properly then he shouldn't even be attempting it.

Edit: Oh yeah, Cameron. Are you telling me there are no other women out there good enough to slot into that position ahead of Cameron? I don't buy it.

Crapple! fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 30, 2020

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is it strange that this week may have worked better if they just cut one match or segment? Feels kinda like they needed more time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm down for Tag Team Appreciation Night on the grounds that:

A) I love tag wrestling.

B) I'm probably gonna skip next week live with Darby and Jericho as headliners so the week after might get me back in.

C) The tag division feels like they're all playing props to more important people's stories right now so hopefully they actually get stuff to do between each other from this and don't just all end up losing to FTR, The Elite, and the Inner Circle. Even if the FTR story is obviously gonna end up being the main event. But that's fine because I like that story. I just want other stories for everyone else.

Shinjobi posted:

Is it strange that this week may have worked better if they just cut one match or segment? Feels kinda like they needed more time.

I don't know. I didn't watch the whole thing but it just kind of feels like a soft show on paper. Diamante and Warhorse didn't seem up to carrying their ends of the matches. Ryder and Cameron aren't gonna wow a lot of people. FTR/DarkOrder/Elite and Jericho/Cassidy basically did the same thing they did last week. Sounds like the 10 man tag was a mess but I didn't see that one. This is like our 5th Omega/Page title defense in 7 or 8 weeks with no greater stories or drama to those matches (although this one at least seems like it might lead somewhere with the Dark Order). And some people are down on Darby. MJF's the only clear standout segment to me. And the tag title match was good, but not necessarily eventful or new.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 30, 2020

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Can someone link a better Warhorse match because tonight's match was just one big "is this what people were begging for" mood.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Oh Snapple! posted:

Can someone link a better Warhorse match because tonight's match was just one big "is this what people were begging for" mood.

Yes one moment.

https://independentwrestling.tv/player/dqvxgzz75o

Warhorse vs. Gary Jay starts at 2:04:00.

https://independentwrestling.tv/player/6wo76Re7Z9

Jake Parnall (Warhorse) vs. Gary Jay starts at 00:03:40

https://independentwrestling.tv/player/3WLyoE3vwO

Warhorse vs. Aaron Williams

Warhorse is loving awesome (as is Gary Jay).

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 30, 2020

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
This is a downside of bringing somebody in with a lot of hype. It’s usually always better to debut them in the regular way and let the fans make up their minds organically. Kingston is a bit different because he’s basically a known commodity by virtue of being around so long. Also the promo time definitely helped.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The most surprising thing of the night was Darby lining the underside of his skateboard with receipts lol

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm just wondering who the first non-Bucks adjacent tag champs are going to be.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
As a black guy, my take on Excalibur is that AEW having way worse commentary doesn't make me feel like any cracks have been made in systemic racism. It's also pretty stupid that Excalibur can be punished for something from over 15 years ago but Jake Hager can express his horrific garbage man opinions right now, in the present and not be punished for it at all. And if you're wondering if maybe my opinion is biased by the fact that Excalibur is good at his job and Hager is really loving awful at his and I just want one on TV and the other off TV, I examined that possibility and discarded it, I am a bastion of perfect robotic logic.

Also I think they maybe should run Dark Order vs. Kenny/Hangman back at All Out and do the title change. I wasn't feeling the title change very much at all with Best Friends but tonight it kkkkkiiiiiinda felt right.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm just wondering who the first non-Bucks adjacent tag champs are going to be.

Wasn't it already SCU?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Are we missing Excalibur? Commentary is a bit rocky, with not enough connective tissue

1) Inner Circle vs Dinosaur Friends. Love the new Best Friends shirts. New Japan has made me a fan of multi man matches, this could be fun. Bit of a slow start but we get some fun spots early. The Marko-As-Weapon spots are awesome. Sammy is back too soo, but he is such a good chickenshit heel. Jericho seems one step slower than the rest of his group, but is smart enough let his friends shine. I like that they keep teasing hoss-offs with Hager and Luchasaurus without ever having to deliver on them because we know it would only be an OK match. The Matt Hardy interference was a bit awkward. Fun match with a weird finish.

Moxley promo. Bit average.

2) Cody vs WARHORSE. They got the right music for him. Commentary sell this as a big deal, which is good. Glad they got the right intro too. Warhorse feels like a big deal from the intro. Match starts somewhat slow, with a feeling out process. Cody plays frustration well. I'm waiting for the thing that makes Warhorse seem special rather than just good. He's a great pocket dynamo, everything he does is with commitment, which is good. The running double stomp to the outside was awesome. I bit hard on the pin after the top rope elbow. Not a long match but a good one.

Reynolds and Silver out, followed by Matt Cardona. Looking nothing like Zack Ryder.

I like the idea of Jericho vs Cassidy for seven thousand dollars.

FTR signing contracts. I like Arn advising them. Tag Team Appreciation Night sounds good. Hangman turning up and pouring himself a FULL glass of Jack was good.

3) Dark Order (Uno and Grayson) vs Cowboy Bebop. Dissention in Bebop to start. Fast back and forth which is good. Is Anna Jay wearing the Bunny's old gear? Hangman may have the best babyface shine in the business. Cabana on commentary is great as the wide eyed cult victim. Match is good throughout but the whole of tonight has just felt a little off. Overall enjoyable, especially Mr Brodie hustling Colt.

PAPER THROW! WE GOT A PAPER THROW!

Creepers come from everywhere, then FTR get involved. Are we building to a Brodie / Kenny match?

Diamante promo. She's got some iron in her words, and that's good.

4) Diamante vs Shida. Love the looks of resentment from Diamante at the start. Good fast start, letting Diamante get offense in early. Couple of sloppy bits from Diamante but overall this is a good match. Solid win for Shida, but Diamante did well enough that I would be happy to see her with a contract.

Awesome, they're going full Lethal Lottery on the tag tournament. That's awesome.

Nyla segment is always good, and she is partnering with...

...no idea. (Cameron, apparently?)

Anyway, MJF out for his state of wrestling address. The "give me a smile" like made me shudder to my soul. Love the burberry podium. This is a great speech, very much using the cadence of a candidate. This works because it feels almost true.

A 12 man tag feels like too many mans.

5) Darby and Mox vs Cage and Stroke Daddy. Giving Starks a match is the smartest thing they've done all night. Match is a bit of a cluster at the start. Starks is so much fun to watch though. Match becomes fun chaotic trash after a while. Not spectacular, but lots of fun. Starks is bleeding HORRIBLY from the back.

The Darby / Mox singles match could be fun, but "number five contender" is a silly thing to say out loud.

Not my favourite Dynamite. After an incredible show last week, too much here felt "good enough" rather than good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pylons posted:

Wasn't it already SCU?
Cant get more Bucks-adjacent than SoCal

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

Wasn't it already SCU?

They're not in the Elite, but they're definitely Bucks-adjacent.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

All I’ve been able to dig up is secondhand retellings that a) Human Tornado pitched it and lobbied Owens and Excalibur to do it and b) both have expressed regret that they went through with it. Looks like it popped up on Reddit a couple months ago, but didn’t build the traction it did this time.

Excalibur/the incident was trending on Twitter a day or two ago, that's where I saw it, and now it looks like it's getting picked up by a lot of wrestling sites.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Am I just stupid, or does the whole FTR thing feel like a foregone conclusion to the point where its just not interesting?

I think now is the right time to move the belts to another team, but it feels so obvious that they'll just be slapping them onto FTR as soon as it makes sense, and that means nothing else in the division has any weight until that point.

I'd have been more than happy with Dark Order or Best Friends going over, and they would have led to interesting things in the future, but keeping things warm so the new guys with a monster push can slide right in feels a bit meh.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Am I just stupid, or does the whole FTR thing feel like a foregone conclusion to the point where its just not interesting?

I think now is the right time to move the belts to another team, but it feels so obvious that they'll just be slapping them onto FTR as soon as it makes sense, and that means nothing else in the division has any weight until that point.

I'd have been more than happy with Dark Order or Best Friends going over, and they would have led to interesting things in the future, but keeping things warm so the new guys with a monster push can slide right in feels a bit meh.

this is a mindset that a lot of fans new to a non-wwe product have when they see a product that has good stable booking come along. the solution to "its too obvious" is to enjoy the journey, don't worry about the destination. You aren't dealing with a product that is endlessly trying to swerve you or make you feel like a dumbass for investing in. Unless you were a Tetsuya Naito fan from 2012-2019, then yeah NJPW totally played with you lmao.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, to me it's so obvious that FTR wins them that i feel like there has to be a swerve, which is what i was hoping for tonight, now i'm not sure, but the uncertainty is outweighed by the fact that they may just ship the belts to FTR which kinda stinks

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

smarxist posted:

I mean, to me it's so obvious that FTR wins them that i feel like there has to be a swerve, which is what i was hoping for tonight, now i'm not sure, but the uncertainty is outweighed by the fact that they may just ship the belts to FTR which kinda stinks

watch less wwe.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Cameron and Zack Ryder? Have some pride AEW :(

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I have no idea if FTR are winning the titles or not. It would be a straightforward story if they did, but straightforward isn't the same as bad.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm still waiting for FTR to have a match in AEW where they as a team really impress me. The match they had with Butcher and Blade is the closest they've gotten to really showing what makes them a special part of the division.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JOHN CENA posted:

watch less wwe.

i haven't watched WWE in 20 years really, i just don't think it's a very compelling story and i'd rather some guys i like better on the roster hold titles

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I Before E posted:

I'm still waiting for FTR to have a match in AEW where they as a team really impress me. The match they had with Butcher and Blade is the closest they've gotten to really showing what makes them a special part of the division.

FTR vs SCU was excellent

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
CAMERON?!

loving CAMERON?!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Zack Ryder at one point was a genuine draw and the fact that he's been made Always Bad because WWE put a concerted effort over like a decade to make him Always Bad is a testament to how deep WWE Brainworms run. Cameron, I got nothing

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

So the Dark Order team next week doesn't have Silver or Reynolds. It's Brodie, Stu, Uno, Cabana, Angels and a 6th person who I have no clue about. 10 AKA Preston Vance is still recovering from his surgery right?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

wandler20 posted:

Are we just going to ignore what happened to Ricky Starks back because that looked incredibly painful.

that's not even the first time darby has done the tac board spot in aew. i think ricky will be fine.

MJeff posted:

Also I think they maybe should run Dark Order vs. Kenny/Hangman back at All Out and do the title change. I wasn't feeling the title change very much at all with Best Friends but tonight it kkkkkiiiiiinda felt right.

this but instead of uno and stu it's brodie and cult cabana :unsmigghh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Crapple! posted:

So the Dark Order team next week doesn't have Silver or Reynolds. It's Brodie, Stu, Uno, Cabana, Angels and a 6th person who I have no clue about. 10 AKA Preston Vance is still recovering from his surgery right?

Yeah, that's not 10, I dunno who it is.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hiring Ryder is fine as an office guy running social who has some matches on Dark sometimes, but they gotta cool it on hiring more men for Dynamite for a while. I'd way rather see Jannella, Kiss, Archer, Wardlow, SCU (especially Scorpio), Sabian etc getting consistent segments on Dynamite most weeks than more WWE cast offs and indie darlings who haven't broken through because they're indie darlings. They've already got enough talent for Dynamite and their new show for the next 12 months at least.

Definitely hire more women when they're available though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

CAMERON?!

loving CAMERON?!

I like that I'm like the 4th person to make this exact post

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Zack Ryder at one point was a genuine draw and the fact that he's been made Always Bad because WWE put a concerted effort over like a decade to make him Always Bad is a testament to how deep WWE Brainworms run. Cameron, I got nothing
I don’t think he’s Always Bad but I think his time has more than passed him by, and I get the impression most doubters feel this exact way too

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm okay with him getting a run where he can actually do something

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It's pretty obvious that Cameron is going to cost Nyla the tournament by tagging herself in and immediately eating poo poo ala Brock Lesnar and Shawn Stasiak.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Looking at the AEW roster they're already struggling to find space on the roster for the Lucha Bros, Scorpio Sky, Lance Archer, Private Party, Joey Janela, Kip Sabian and Sonny Kiss who are all very deserving of TV spots and stories then eventually once the pandemic ends they'll have PAC back and the Hybrid 2 and hopefully CIMA too. I really hope they're intentionally bloating to prep for the second show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Doesn't Cardona have a pretty good rep as a trainer, or am I thinking of one of the multiple other good hands that WWE entirely failed to do anything with?