Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
10 Man Tag 4 6.25%
Tag Titles 38 59.38%
TNT Title 7 10.94%
Tornado Match 15 23.44%
Total: 64 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

in retrospect Warhorse got done so dirty by this show, he is such an afterthought and while it wouldve been wrong to have a #SignWarHorse aking to Eddie, who still isn't signed, he has become an afterthought to the baffling decision of the appearance of Zack Ryder.

He is a guy who isn't under contract, got his own custom entrance and a competitive match where he was put over on commentary as having impressive credentials. What world do we live in where this is being "done so dirty" and not he only had a good match rather than a great match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im just glad people are passionate for all elite wrestling :) at their worst, the shows are merely okay, as opposed to actually painful for the brains ears and eyes for the viewers

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

He is a guy who isn't under contract, got his own custom entrance and a competitive match where he was put over on commentary as having impressive credentials. What world do we live in where this is being "done so dirty" and not he only had a good match rather than a great match.

People tend to remember the last part of a segment the strongest.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

i mean you do expect them to develop object permanence at some point

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yes, people with a different opinion are toddlers who's brains don't work. You got it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

This thought was sparked by the MOTYC thread but fits better here: I hope they don't overdo the Dark Order papers bit to where it becomes one-note.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's fine if they for whatever reason thought Warhorse was going to win but it's very weird to make up a new narrative about the match because he lost. He got everything you'd expect an outsider to get in order to make the match work.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think the two key things that bummed me out (besides Excalibur) was Dark Order failing 2 beat downs in the same show, and FTR leading 2 segments in the same show.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yes, people with a different opinion are toddlers who's brains don't work. You got it.

aka the internet

Warhorse looked good in the ring and got some major exposure. That's not "done dirty".

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s very funny to me that some people think Ryder is on the juice big time because he’s looking better than when he was in WWE

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought the Warhorse match was good and there was enough of a logical break between the clean finish of the match then a few seconds of postmatch THEN the Dark Order come out and Cardona runs them off. I mean its not like it happened mid match or anything. It was fine. It had to be Cody there so when else are you going to do it?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Dango Bango posted:

This thought was sparked by the MOTYC thread but fits better here: I hope they don't overdo the Dark Order papers bit to where it becomes one-note.

My hope is that they just did it once for the benefit of those who don’t watch BTE

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I do want to say that Colt Cabana is doing amazing work as gullible cult member. The little things he’s doing to sell it are really great.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

MassRafTer posted:

That's fine if they for whatever reason thought Warhorse was going to win but it's very weird to make up a new narrative about the match because he lost. He got everything you'd expect an outsider to get in order to make the match work.

For me, it wasn't that he lost, it's that he became an immediate afterthought. The way he was just disappeared out of the ring reminded me too much of the aftermath of Kofi losing his title to Brock. And granted, he's not signed and all that, but I think it would've made for a better moment if he and Cody fought off Dark Order together. If they really wanted to debut Cardona at that moment, just have him intercept additional Dark Order members while Cody & Warhorse are clearing the ring.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The obvious solution to make everyone happy is to make Cardona the Dark Order's sixth man next week without comment.

Also i hope that match implodes and we get Page and FTR (good, worth having, hooray) bs Kenny and the Bucks (leeches, remnants of the past, shoo shoo overness goblin)

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

JOHN CENA posted:

i mean you do expect them to develop object permanence at some point

That's rather how memory works. But I can understand if John Cena selling for 90 % of the match and then smashing their opponent might think otherwise.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So since the women's tag tournament will be on Youtube every Monday at 7PM Eastern (the hour before Raw), do yall want to do a separate thread for the tournament, or have it be part of the Dark thread

I'm fine with someone else making a separate thread for it, and it'd be funny to see it get more pages the first Monday than that night's Raw with a third the show-length. Just figured I'd ask/bring it up in here, since a) it could get enough discussion live, and b) it seems like it'd benefit from that live-discussion not being in this general thread where the results would be spoiled for people who usually browse but didn't/couldn't watch the Youtube right when it dropped

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 30, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

It’s very funny to me that some people think Ryder is on the juice big time because he’s looking better than when he was in WWE

This isn't even true as there were periods in WWE where he was more ripped than this.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah one GDT for the whole tournament would be a good idea imo

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MassRafTer posted:

This isn't even true as there were periods in WWE where he was more ripped than this.

Oh for sure. I should’ve said just before he was fired from WWE. Plus everybody tends to look better when they have time to work out and aren’t on WWE’s death schedule.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Chris James 2 posted:

So since the women's tag tournament will be on Youtube every Monday at 7PM Eastern (the hour before Raw), do yall want to do a separate thread for the tournament, or have it be part of the Dark thread

I'm fine with someone else making a separate thread for it, it'd be funny to see it get more pages the first Monday than that night's Raw with a third the show-length. Just figured I'd ask/bring it up in here, since a) it could get enough discussion live, and b) it seems like it'd benefit from that live-discussion not being in this general thread where the results would be spoiled for people who usually browse but didn't/couldn't watch the Youtube right when it dropped

I thought just the draw was on YouTube, not the matches?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If they're doing it as a separate YouTube show it would be fun to give it it's own thread

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Dacap posted:

yeah, I think the drawing is on Youtube, not the matches.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nth-ing the separate thread recommendation. If only because it might attract someone who's looking for women's wrestling but otherwise doesn't follow AEW to watch along.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I've rewatched Ricky Starks promo twice now. The guy's got a pretty good chance at having "it." I bought what he was selling.

I loved his interactions with Brian Cage as well. "I'm the best...sorry, big guy." "Nah, it's cool."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a replay of the skateboard tacks spot that everyone is :gonk:ing about? I had to run out for something at the end of the show and missed the last part of the match.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I've rewatched Ricky Starks promo twice now. The guy's got a pretty good chance at having "it." I bought what he was selling.

I loved his interactions with Brian Cage as well. "I'm the best...sorry, big guy." "Nah, it's cool."

This along with he wasn't phased by production cuing his music too early.

Speaking of which, there were so many production gaffes last night. That didn't help the disjointed feel of last night's Dynamite.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

explosivo posted:

Is there a replay of the skateboard tacks spot that everyone is :gonk:ing about? I had to run out for something at the end of the show and missed the last part of the match.

https://streamable.com/4jm733

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

explosivo posted:

About 3:05 in this https://youtu.be/eaZp764NoQ0

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Man, I know AEW's in a time crunch and hasn't quite figured out how to work it yet and all, but going "it's a huge showcase for all our women's talent!" followed by "it's a weekly youtube show rather than our primary programming!" makes me real unhappy.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dacap posted:

This is what I thought as well. Alvarez said something about them wanting to do it as annual thing, assuming the ratings for it are decent enough, which indicates that the plan is for it to be televised. Unless their plan for it changed like, yesterday.

MJeff posted:

As a black guy, my take on Excalibur is that AEW having way worse commentary doesn't make me feel like any cracks have been made in systemic racism. It's also pretty stupid that Excalibur can be punished for something from over 15 years ago but Jake Hager can express his horrific garbage man opinions right now, in the present and not be punished for it at all. And if you're wondering if maybe my opinion is biased by the fact that Excalibur is good at his job and Hager is really loving awful at his and I just want one on TV and the other off TV, I examined that possibility and discarded it, I am a bastion of perfect robotic logic.

One thing that I've found interesting is that Hager's social media has been clean since like February. He doesn't tweet about anything political, it's just wrestling, MMA, and his wife. Even his likes are clean, at least the few times I've skimmed them to see. And before he was super-CHUD on there. So, I'm guessing someone sat him down and had a very serious talk with him about keeping his terrible opinions to himself, and it stuck. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a garbage person and a mediocre (at best) wrestler, and I'd rather he be off the show, but there was this very sudden change in his Twitter and I feel like it's gotta be attributable to someone at AEW telling him to knock that poo poo off.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm not going to say no to having more AEW stuff to watch but it would've been better to put it on Dynamite for the people who don't follow AEW extremely closely.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
One thing I like about FTR being added to the Hangman/Omega story is that they are clearly not good people for Hangman to be around. I think we've all been in situations where there are people we love who are toxic for us cause they bring out and encourage our worst impulses and that's what Dax and Cash are doing with Hangman. You can just about see him skirt back over that line of being a jerk and I really hope he dumps them and makes up with Kenny cause they're much better for each other :smith:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CarlCX posted:

Man, I know AEW's in a time crunch and hasn't quite figured out how to work it yet and all, but going "it's a huge showcase for all our women's talent!" followed by "it's a weekly youtube show rather than our primary programming!" makes me real unhappy.

good thing its not a weekly youtube show

Rarity posted:

One thing I like about FTR being added to the Hangman/Omega story is that they are clearly not good people for Hangman to be around. I think we've all been in situations where there are people we love who are toxic for us cause they bring out and encourage our worst impulses and that's what Dax and Cash are doing with Hangman. You can just about see him skirt back over that line of being a jerk and I really hope he dumps them and makes up with Kenny cause they're much better for each other :smith:

kenny the psychopath who called marko stunt a pussy?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

i'm booting up my Bart heart breaking slomo with scoopsgal for a few months now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Alaois posted:

kenny the psychopath who called marko stunt a pussy?

See, he's worse away from Hangman's influence too!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aiiiiiyyyyyyyyeeeeeeee

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think he was done dirty but I do feel strongly it was about 3-4 minutes too short. Definitely started slow and just as it picked up it was over. This definitely isn't the last we've seen of him which makes me happy. Warhorse has been one of my favorite wrestlers since I saw that crazy rear end in a top hat screaming at traffic to come watch pro wrestling.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Warhorse was done fine. Maybe he should have got a promo but he's not Eddie Kingston so I think that would have been a little underwhelming. He was overshadowed by Ryder but it doesn't really change much. He's not a regular, he was never gonna fight off the Dark Order with Cody, and his match was a disappointment. That sucks but I don't think it was something more.

DeathChicken posted:

Zack Ryder at one point was a genuine draw and the fact that he's been made Always Bad because WWE put a concerted effort over like a decade to make him Always Bad is a testament to how deep WWE Brainworms run. Cameron, I got nothing

I just don't think Ryder has every really done anything standout in the ring. He got himself over in an unconventional and organic way and I respect that and WWE did him wrong. But that was also like a decade ago. I don't hate him, I don't begrudge him being hired, and I don't doubt he might have some value as a social media guy and Spears/Cutler/Dustin type player. But I don't think its WWE Brainworms to not be impressed by him debuting as a big deal into a story in 2020.

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping this is a simple miscommunication. Shuffling the women off to their own non-show would be real bad. Hopefully AEW isn't doing that and we're just confused.

Oil! posted:

AEW Thread: Sign more women wrestlers!

AEW: Signs woman wrestler

AEW Thread: Not her!

I've always loved the idea that wanting something means you forego the right to have preferences. Its so odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

My big take away from the contract signing is that Hangman wants to be FTR's friend a lot more than FTR wants to be Hangman's. They're cool to hang with him and seem to like him (for now) but he feels like he needs this. Which makes sense, kayfabe it's really the first time we're seeing him step outside of the Elite circle for his friends. It's kinda his first time making friends in story.