Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
10 Man Tag 4 6.25%
Tag Titles 38 59.38%
TNT Title 7 10.94%
Tornado Match 15 23.44%
Total: 64 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

To jump back to WARHORSE chat for a moment, I do think he was done a little dirty by being the first opponent to not get any post-match shine. Even Kingston got a mournful slow walk out which gave at least some emotional closure to the segment. Dark Beaver Boys doing a run-in didn't make any sense because they've got fuckall to do with Cody or WARHORSE (though he did defend the IWTV belt against Silver once) but was entirely in service of debuting a different person at WARHORSE's expense. It's not the end of the world but it's a lovely thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Okay, this feels like a story starting to come together:

https://twitter.com/DaxHarwood/status/1288899956091256832

https://twitter.com/TheArnShow/status/1288646505440608265

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's so many balls in the air with all the "horsemen" stuff that its impossible to know what the actual picture looks like. And I like that.

I mean, Cody's playing with Zack Ryder and the Dark Order at the moment while the Elite and FTR go against the rest of Dark Order in a totally separate thing? So is Ryder part of the equation now? Or is this all distraction? Or is Cody the one guy NOT actually involved in this story?

I like that there's like a million threads I can see but I have no idea which of them mean anything.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Is All Out too soon to have all of this come to a head?? Like it’s a month and change away, and I’d love for them to keep stretching all these storylines out for a while (especially with Inner Circle showing some cracks lately with the Sammy/Hardy stuff coming back, it could be the right time for a new BIG HEEL FACTION to rise up), but between Cody’s slow heel burn, the FTR/Hangman stuff, Kenny slipping into Cleaner mode, and now even MJF’s titleshot looming (which I honestly see him winning; they’ve got so much invested in him as a future star, they could give him an Okada-1st reign-type run), it does seem like All Out 2020 is being positioned as a “Powder Keg” moment.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

AEW: 773k (6th, 0.3 demo)
NXT: 707k (28th, 0.18 demo)

Guess baseball didn't hurt too much afterall?

blunt fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 30, 2020

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Is All Out too soon to have all of this come to a head?? Like it’s a month and change away, and I’d love for them to keep stretching all these storylines out for a while (especially with Inner Circle showing some cracks lately with the Sammy/Hardy stuff coming back, it could be the right time for a new BIG HEEL FACTION to rise up), but between Cody’s slow heel burn, the FTR/Hangman stuff, Kenny slipping into Cleaner mode, and now even MJF’s titleshot looming (which I honestly see him winning; they’ve got so much invested in him as a future star, they could give him an Okada-1st reign-type run), it does seem like All Out 2020 is being positioned as a “Powder Keg” moment.

I agree. I think All Out is where a lot of things happen - if MJF doesn't win the title from Mox I'd expect to see him lose it to Kenny at Full Gear, though they could do a rematch there anyway where Kenny wins even if Mox isn't the champ at that point.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

blunt posted:

AEW 6th in demo (.30) 773,000 viewership. NXT 28th in demo (.18) 707,000 viewership

NXT lost to a rerun of Guy's Grocery Games, but AEW has continued to defeat the biggest threat in the demo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dynamite did better than it deserved to tbh

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My big takeaway from the ratings is that apparently 12 Oz Mouse is still a thing???

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm kind of uneasy about how hard they seem to be leaning into campaign season angles, just because it seems kinda cringe-y, and wrestlers have to basically be as apolitical as possible, but i'll see where it goes, they've earned that much

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

BodyMassageMachine posted:

All Out should definitely be a time for big new storyline beats, if only because this is the first PPV where it's clear that "holding off on all the good stuff until COVID-19 is over" is not really a viable operating model

(That being said a part of me still thinks it's a waste to do MJF's first title reign in a crowdless era)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Either Leva's just throwing names out, or she may have just revealed that Veda Scott is coming to AEW:

https://twitter.com/wrestlingleva/status/1288931526076506112

https://twitter.com/itsvedatime/status/1288932076260122624

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

moxley is going to defeat darby and then defeat mjf

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

My big takeaway from the ratings is that apparently 12 Oz Mouse is still a thing???

Apparently it got revived? And apparently Aqua Teen might be coming back too? Everything's getting revived except Metalocalypse and Moral Orel! You love to see it!

You don't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

moxley is going to defeat darby and then defeat mjf

Good

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

smarxist posted:

i'm kind of uneasy about how hard they seem to be leaning into campaign season angles, just because it seems kinda cringe-y, and wrestlers have to basically be as apolitical as possible, but i'll see where it goes, they've earned that much

The MJF thing works I think. His promo was fantastic and he came off as obnoxious as gently caress. The Jericho/OC debate remains to be seen.

xbilkis posted:

All Out should definitely be a time for big new storyline beats, if only because this is the first PPV where it's clear that "holding off on all the good stuff until COVID-19 is over" is not really a viable operating model

(That being said a part of me still thinks it's a waste to do MJF's first title reign in a crowdless era)

I think they've held off on MJF as long as they can. There's literally no telling when tangible crowds will return to this hellscape of a country so unless they want to try and run their entire production in like New Zealand, they're probably going to have to push forward. The big stories appear to be building now so they'll have five weeks of TV to build to. They've yet to put on a 'bad' PPV and while this past week's show was underwhelming it was still a solid but unspectacular show. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll book a great show.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Even though they’re taking two weeks off between tapings, I gotta imagine wrestling outside during the summer in Florida is an impact.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Akileese posted:

I think they've held off on MJF as long as they can. There's literally no telling when tangible crowds will return to this hellscape of a country so unless they want to try and run their entire production in like New Zealand, they're probably going to have to push forward. The big stories appear to be building now so they'll have five weeks of TV to build to. They've yet to put on a 'bad' PPV and while this past week's show was underwhelming it was still a solid but unspectacular show. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll book a great show.

Oh I don't have a problem with him getting a title shot, I just think you can have a 24 year old lose the first time around and not make it feel like you're artificially delaying things. (Especially if, say, Heel Kenny Omega is the next title challenger for Moxley)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

blunt posted:

AEW: 773k (6th, 0.3 demo)
NXT: 707k (28th, 0.18 demo)

Baseball is cratering in ratings from that hot start at a speed that would make the WWE blush.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't think MJF is winning the belt cause Mox/MJF was clearly the original plan for Double or Nothing and he definitely wouldn't have won it then

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

rantmo posted:

To jump back to WARHORSE chat for a moment, I do think he was done a little dirty by being the first opponent to not get any post-match shine. Even Kingston got a mournful slow walk out which gave at least some emotional closure to the segment. Dark Beaver Boys doing a run-in didn't make any sense because they've got fuckall to do with Cody or WARHORSE (though he did defend the IWTV belt against Silver once) but was entirely in service of debuting a different person at WARHORSE's expense. It's not the end of the world but it's a lovely thing to do.

agreed; WARHORSE didn't get a promo, his headbanging spot, and he was absolutely dicked over with the Zack Ryder run-in.

I can't bring myself to give a poo poo about Cardona (Cordona? whatever.) since there is nothing, nothing unique about him other than "nerd who likes action figures". His look is generic, his moveset is generic, and bringing him in rather than any other incredible indie wrestler reeks of "yeah Cody is just gonna sign all his buddies".

People joke about how the Bucks are "create a wrestler" guys with the goofy gear and flippy poo poo, and Cardona is a CAW that shows up as the bland stock character before any mods are made.

also? gently caress Darby Allin. when even Moxley looks at the aftermath of a tacks spot, it's gone way too far.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

no its his tag team partner that runs create-a-wrestler

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Rarity posted:

I don't think MJF is winning the belt cause Mox/MJF was clearly the original plan for Double or Nothing and he definitely wouldn't have won it then

He's actually not going to win because he never defeated Dolph Ziggler, OP. All AEW Champions have defeated Dolph Ziggler.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
to win big plat you must cross the Zigglercon

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I could have gone with John Cena, or HHH, or any number of other people. The fact remains, Dolph Ziggler is the key. Just like Stephen Amell is the key to the TNT title.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm sure everyone in the match agreed to the tack spot and it being the finish, theres no reason to put it on Darby.

You can still hate Darby for being a piece of poo poo dude though that's totally cool

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
strong numbers from Forged in Fire, it will KEAL NXT.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky 'set my legs on fire for a YouTube video' Starks suggested it as a receipt for the concussion.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

blunt posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky 'set my legs on fire for a YouTube video' Starks suggested it as a receipt for the concussion.

I could absolutely see it being "My bad, scrape a bunch of tacks across my back if you want" I don't think there's legit heat between the two of them and I certainly hope there isn't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope Starks and Cage throw Darby off a cliff

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It's like even reasonable to think that Starks knew he was going to lose and wanted to he part of a big memorable spot in his first Dynamite Main Event and it had nothing to do with receipts or dudes wanting to hurt each other

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume Darby didn't go into business for himself or take advantage of Starks or lie or anything or it would be a bigger issue internally.

Its still just not something I want to see. That's the thing with Darby. I was growing tired of his style before I found out he was a possibly abusive shitlord or sex pest. I just don't actually want to feel like wrestlers are getting hurt or could seriously get hurt. Darby usually being the victim of it himself but this time it being his opponent. And unfortunately those personal concerns about the guy and his regard of others kind of parallels and makes it worse for me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The spot was good as hell and the first cool thing Darby has done in months

Also Ricky Starks is a grown-rear end veteran who definitely agreed to the spot, y'all are acting like Darby's shooting on a young boy or something

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Benne posted:

That's right

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wezlar posted:

It's like even reasonable to think that Starks knew he was going to lose and wanted to he part of a big memorable spot in his first Dynamite Main Event and it had nothing to do with receipts or dudes wanting to hurt each other
Yeah, and in losing, he looks bad rear end as gently caress and also (within kayfabe) Cage is like drat bud you took a bullet to go down. So their group dynamic is maintained. That image is going to stick.

I'm not super comfortable with that degree of hurt but tacks probably don't do lasting damage compared to other far less horrific spots. It looks gory but wrestlers suffer worse pain constantly.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Benne posted:

Also Ricky Starks is a grown-rear end veteran who definitely agreed to the spot, y'all are acting like Darby's shooting on a young boy or something
This.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I mean I know this aint ballet and so forth but man. Thats a what like 170 pound goth just jumping tacks first onto your spine. There's not a lot of ways of mitigating what that is and what it is is OUCHIES

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's way less dangerous than the unprotected chairshots which AEW has done a bunch of times now

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rarity posted:

It's way less dangerous than the unprotected chairshots which AEW has done a bunch of times now

Or the concussion that Darby got last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Benne posted:

Eye am surprised as well...EYE liked that show